• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Enco

The more I read about it and the story the more I want it. I don't know why but the story really appeals to me. Gotta get mah vengeance and save my friends!

I'll wait a bit though. Too busy right now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The main character acts all opposed to violence and killing for the first 5 minutes or so.

Then he starts roasting people en masse with a flamethrower.

So it has your average modern videogame morality BS shtick.

Megasoum

Banned
Ouch...I decided to start the game with all the default video options (set to "Optimal"). I just added vsync... And it's running between 35 and 40fps... Time to try in DX9 and play around with the settings!

ekim

Played for 2 hours. I'm having fun with it but the world feels too artificial and is stuffed with things which don't fit into the background of the char. Zero immersion for me yet. But the shooting and outpost invasion is fun.

The intro promised too much.

SJRB

Gold Member

Not really. Main character is just "some random dude", he never fired a weapon, never killed anyone and never skinned an animal before.

During the intro sequences he's pretty much "omg what the fuck is going on" and panicking, but he is more or less forced to take action in order to save his life. There is no morality lesson or whatever at place here, it is an "I'm going to fucking kill this guy" revenge plot from the very first moment no questions asked, guy gets in way over his head and is kind of pulled along by some folks.

Sure, it's indeed kind of iffy if you want to nitpick that he goes from an amateur to pretty much rambo over the course of a night, but come on. Videogames man.

And he keeps resenting skinning animals no matter how often you do it, which is kind of cool.

Also - this game is cool as hell. Stealth works wonderfully, sneaking up on people and stabbing them in the back just feels so good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Have you played Spec Ops? That's the only game that's done it well. I knew from that FC3 would be that way. I remember one interview where the developer was talking about how Jason wouldn't be a hardened killer as the footage was of cutting a guys throat then throwing his knife in another dude.

Have you played Spec Ops? That's the only game that's done it well. I knew from that FC3 would be that way. I remember one interview where the developer was talking about how Jason wouldn't be a hardened killer as the footage was of cutting a guys throat then throwing his knife in another dude.

Spec Ops The Line is the only game where I've witnessed character progression during gameplay.

If Far Cry 3 has that kind of adaptive dialogue and demeanor, that would be amazing.

Why oh why oh why did they get rid of the in-world map and sparse UI of FC2?

Yea that reminds me, definitely my issues with the game. Having the UI pop up with some tutorial bit or item description is annoying at this point. Not to mention all the clutter.

hopefully a mod or official intervention with that. This game needs no UI mode.

o_O How far were you?

It was only about 15 minutes so it wasn't that bad :p Though I recommend everyone to play the game in Offline mode for now since sometimes when I'm in a mission and press ESC for the pause-menu I get "Far Cry 3 servers are not responding" which automatically causes the mission to fail o.o

Ledsen

It was only about 15 minutes so it wasn't that bad :p Though I recommend everyone to play the game in Offline mode for now since sometimes when I'm in a mission and press ESC for the pause-menu I get "Far Cry 3 servers are not responding" which automatically causes the mission to fail o.o

Wait... There is always-on online DRM???

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
More devs need to spend actual time with firearms and show them that just because you can pick one up and go pewpewpew when you pull the trigger, it sure as hell does not mean you are going to be hitting anything with it.

I hate these games where some nobody, suddenly obtains like marksman accuracy. At least write the story so that characters have some sort of background so its believable.

Yeah and all the ninja knifing and going all John Rambo with the bow just isnt something believable for a total amateur to pull off.

I know its a video game, but this has to do more with the writing than the game mechanics. At least in the latest dude bro shooter you play as someone who has a background that includes proper weapon training.

Still though with that aside cant wait for this game to unlock in an hour!

Tankshell

Just started the download of my copy via uk.gamesplanet.com, should be done in 10 mins, currently maxing out my 100mb connection =0)

Next question is... shall I do an all nighter?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
More devs need to spend actual time with firearms and show them that just because you can pick one up and go pewpewpew when you pull the trigger, it sure as hell does not mean you are going to be hitting anything with it.

I hate these games where some nobody, suddenly obtains like marksman accuracy. At least write the story so that characters have some sort of background so its believable.

Yeah and all the ninja knifing and going all John Rambo with the bow just isnt something believable for a total amateur to pull off.

I know its a video game, but this has to do more with the writing than the game mechanics. At least in the latest dude bro shooter you play as someone who has a background that includes proper weapon training.

Still though with that aside cant wait for this game to unlock in an hour!
To be fair, the player is the one aiming and it would really suck if the game made all your shots miss just because of a story consideration.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wait... There is always-on online DRM???

I'm not sure it's drm, it seems more like a stat tracker from what I can gather from the progress bar when it connects to uPlay.

it uploads stats and whatnot to the cloud to compare with ALLLL your uPlay friends, you know with uPlay being the social hub of pc gaming and whatnot.

VALIS

The PC version isn't available less than $60 anywhere in the US, is it? Ubi doesn't seem to sell on sites that discount new games frequently like Amazon or GMG (US version), so I doubt it but figured I'd ask anyway, just in case.

The main character acts all opposed to violence and killing for the first 5 minutes or so.

Then he starts roasting people en masse with a flamethrower.

lol. Video games.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
To be fair, the player is the one aiming and it would really suck if the game made all your shots miss just because of a story consideration.

Like I said its a problem with the writing more than trying to take it to game design / mechanics.

Then again we have gordon freeman king badass scientist who not only fights off the "alien invasion" but also termination by a fully trained military clean up crew. So yeah lol video games I suppose.

iNvid02

The PC version isn't available less than $60 anywhere in the US, is it? Ubi doesn't seem to sell on sites that discount new games frequently like Amazon or GMG (US version), so I doubt it but figured I'd ask anyway, just in case.

its on steam for $49.99

Christ, those benches look fucking TERRIBLE for a 560. 20ish FPS? Does anybody know if say, kicking down the resolution down to 720p and not leaving it on max will actually improve things or what? Because that chart makes it look unplayable on my rig. =\

SJRB

Gold Member
Like I said its a problem with the writing more than trying to take it to game design / mechanics.

Then again we have gordon freeman king badass scientist who not only fights off the "alien invasion" but also termination by a fully trained military clean up crew. So yeah lol video games I suppose.

I see where you're coming from, but we all play this game to run around a tropical island killing dudes, not to play some insecure guy for the first 5 hours because the narrative dictates that I can't cut a dude's throat.

Assassin's Creed 3 didn't start to actually be Assassin's Creed 3 until 6 hours into the game, and look how that turned out.

Far Cry 3 takes some narrative liberties and thankfully gameplay trumps believable story.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah...the perfs are kinda terrible on my i5-2400k with 570... It's totally playable but, even in DX9 and set to High instead of "Optimal" (Optimal puts a ton of stuff on very high) I barely hit 50 from time to time but I'm at 40-45 most of the time. Ugh...

Anyone fancy posting some download links?

Hahahahaha

Sethos

Banned

ibcl53kXkRuLxc.gif

ekim

But Gordon didn't speak at all. In this case you start out as a whiny guy who suddenly kills packs of pirates the other day. Add race trials and gun venting machines and every immersion is dead after the great intro.

cackhyena

Yeah...the perfs are kinda terrible on my i5-2400k with 570... It's totally playable but, even in DX9 and set to High instead of "Optimal" (Optimal puts a ton of stuff on very high) I barely hit 50 from time to time but I'm at 40-45 most of the time. Ugh...

Wondering if I'll only see a slight bump with my OC'ed to 4.2 3570k and 670.

NBtoaster

Rock textures are really poor. Fallout 3 level. But the lighting and foliage make up for it in the day, it's just at night everything is so flat.

sephi22

Can someone clarify, I'm in the UK and have a GMG purchase.

I have to wait until Midnight tomorrow before I can play unless I VPN it?
Capsule says "2 Days until release"

Email says
You are receiving this email because your game will be available for download on 30 Nov 2012 at 00:01 UTC.
Ahh, any idea how I would be able to download it any earlier? :(

Some context before he gets banned.

Lyonaz

Hunting wildlife with a recurve bow and skinning them is so much fun. I love the island it's so pretty. Also hotdamn at having 4 komodos chasing you.

And exploring the island really does make the game feel like Skyrim with guns or in my case bows, so it's exactly like Skyrim on an tropical island!

How are sidequests handled? Are any of them properly fleshed out/exploration or is it just go round and find stuff etc.

(Not that there's anything wrong with the above necessarily)

Top Bottom