• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 |OT| Sex, Drugs, and the Call of Battle in the Uncharted

Ok, lol

I didnt mean for illegal copies. I meant for the Farcry 3 Download Installer that would require a key.

I have a key, except a lot of people seem to be able to download it through GMG, yet I cant due to the lock out.

I definately did not mean illegal stuff, lol

Some context before he gets banned.

That was quite heoric of you.

Back on track, I was completely ignorant of this game because of the crazy ass they released at e3 but watching the QL on GB and seeing Brad hunt buffalo with grenades has sold me. Open world with RPG elements, and solid FPS play (according to TB and the QL) = All aboard the hype train!

Side note, anyone who got this early playing with an nVidia card? Any issues with the game? I don't want another Sleeping Dogs issue...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Have you played Spec Ops? That's the only game that's done it well. I knew from that FC3 would be that way. I remember one interview where the developer was talking about how Jason wouldn't be a hardened killer as the footage was of cutting a guys throat then throwing his knife in another dude.

I've heard a lot of that game, maybe I should give it a try some day.

Megasoum

Banned
Wtf...everytime I change a video setting my minimap gets smaller and smaller and further away from the bottom left corner... It's super small now...

iNvid02

Ok, lol

I didnt mean for illegal copies. I meant for the Farcry 3 Download Installer that would require a key.

I have a key, except a lot of people seem to be able to download it through GMG, yet I cant due to the lock out.

I definately did not mean illegal stuff, lol

GMG will stick to UK's 30th release.

If you were to acquire the installation files you could install and activate with your GMG key and play. I cant see anything wrong with that tbh

Just played three hours of the PS3-version, the possibilities are massive, the gameplay and story are surprisingly fresh and different.
I couldn't notice that much tearing, but what did strike me in a negative way is the resolution. The graphics do look nice, but they are not that crisp and clear as I saw them in most videos of the game. I guess you could blame the age of the PS3 for that.

Megasoum

Banned
Bah the minimap is back to normal after reseting the game. It's still to far from the corner for no reasons but it's still big.

Btw, what's the right FOV for a 16:9 monitor again? I forgot.

Bah the minimap is back to normal after reseting the game. It's still to far from the corner for no reasons but it's still big.

Btw, what's the right FOV for a 16:9 monitor again? I forgot.

For a monitor? I'd assume around 90. Only weirdos like me gaming on their TVs would keep something at like 75.

Raptor

Just played three hours of the PS3-version, the possibilities are massive, the gameplay and story are surprisingly fresh and different.
I couldn't notice that much tearing, but what did strike me in a negative way is the resolution. The graphics do look nice, but they are not that crisp and clear as I saw them in most videos of the game. I guess you could blame the age of the PS3 for that.

Blurry?

Goddamn it!

:(

beastmode

It looks like they actually made violence less meaningful than it was in Far Cry 2.

-Enemy faces have all been obscured. They've also gained this affinity for red, probably the least sympathetic of primary & secondary colors.
-They're no longer mercenaries working for a political faction, they're pirates who've sworn allegiance to a madman.
-One new behavior added is to suicidally run at you with a knife.
-The AI doesn't seem to take cover from sniper fire and stay put anymore (instead only bobbing their head slightly over the top of cover like most shooters). Nor do they appear to get wounded (making them crawl to safety to await the help of a friend in FC2.)
-Combat barks indicating fear, confusion, or concern for their allies appear to be gone.
-You play as Jason Brody, and he has his own personality separate from yours.
-The HUD, waypoints, X-ray vision, your crosshair, threat & detection indicators, mission objective text blurbs, and XP bonuses take away from the sense of really being in a place. Not to mention expanding the glow effect that was on ammunition to include flowers, corpses, and vehicles.

Just saw on the GB Quicklook and heard on the new IdleThumbs that BOTH AC3 and FarCry3 begin with the same Lewis Carol quote. I'm sure that was not at all intentional, but strange how that can happen under Ubi's roof. If anything, that casts FarCry3 in a really interesting light - as a pseudo Alice in Wonderland, complete with "mad" characters and ingestion of substances.

It looks like they actually made violence less meaningful than it was in Far Cry 2.

-Enemy faces have all been obscured. They've also gained this affinity for red, probably the least sympathetic of primary & secondary colors.
-They're no longer mercenaries working for a political faction, they're pirates who've sworn allegiance to a madman.
-The AI doesn't seem to take cover from sniper fire and stay put anymore (instead only bobbing their head slightly over the top of cover like most shooters). Nor do they appear to get wounded (making them crawl to safety to await the help of a friend in FC2.)
-Combat barks indicating fear, confusion, or concern for their allies appear to be gone.
-The HUD, waypoints, X-ray vision, your crosshair, threat & detection indicators, mission objective text blurbs, and XP bonuses take away from the sense of really being in a place. Not to mention expanding the glow effect that was on ammunition to include flowers, corpses, and vehicles.

Well thats just great. Immersion is why I loved FC2. The glow effect on everything is lame, would love to see an option to toggle, same with HUD. Might hold off on this for a bit.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Holyshit is steam lagging like crazy for some reason. D:

lol and you think Far Cry 2 had meaningful violence? Good enough reason to kill every single fucker you come across was the fact that 100% of the population outside of the free fire no fire zones wanted you dead. Am sure those in the free fire no fire zones felt the same way too. There was no meaning to the violence in the first one. It still was pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew all the way without having to put any though into things, besides how many rounds to drill into a bad guy due to how bad the damage balance was in that game. Unless you had a sniper rifle and shot someone in the head.

Let's do this!

IMG_20121129_123108.jpg

beastmode

Well thats just great. Immersion is why I loved FC2. The glow effect on everything is lame, would love to see an option to toggle, same with HUD. Might hold off on this for a bit.
Well, a dev on twitter said no-HUD can't be patched in until at least February if they decide to do so. Who knows how many elements it would extend to.

GMG will stick to UK's 30th release.

If you were to acquire the installation files you could install and activate with your GMG key and play. I cant see anything wrong with that tbh

Wait, I thought the EU release date was 29th....as in Thursday

GAME and a few other sites are also saying that but other articles are saying 29th...

Edit: Urgh, seems like it's out on the 29th in Europe but is releasing on the traditional Friday in UK - what a weird decision.

beastmode

lol and you think Far Cry 2 had meaningful violence? Good enough reason to kill every single fucker you come across was the fact that 100% of the population outside of the free fire zones wanted you dead. Am sure those in the free fire zones felt the same way too. There was no meaning to the violence in the first one. It still was pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew all the way without having to put any though into things, besides how many rounds to drill into a bad guy due to how bad the damage balance was in that game. Unless you had a sniper rifle and shot someone in the head.
More so than Far Cry 3. Which is what I said.

(also sniper shots to the chest and sometimes leg kill in FC2)

iNvid02

SJRB

Gold Member
This game is like crack.

One more thing and then I'll quit. For real this time. One more. O wait what is that over there?

saunderez

That's pretty interesting.

I'd love to know why in NZ games are released on either Thursday or Friday. Never Monday, occasionally Tuesday (world wide releases) and never Wednesday.

The reason this happens in Australia (and I'm guessing its a similar reason in NZ) is typically because late night shopping used to be held on Thursday nights. A lot more shops have extended trading hours now but there was a real benefit to releasing something on a Thursday because you knew you'd have shoppers coming in until 9PM.

Top Bottom