• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

inki

I've never played a FC game.. Sell me on it?

From what I've seen in the most loose sense is it Skyrim with guns?

aravuus

I saw a propaganda poster on the outer wall of a house's second floor, how the hell am I supposed to reach it? Tried jumping, tried carefully getting it from the nearby window, tried shooting it, nothing.

It's actually kind of frustrating I can't shoot it down. It's a piece of fucking paper, taped to a wall.

e: also when do i unlock the homestead stuff?

yes, with madness and fluid action shooting action melee action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEKISdsMEcM

(and a clip with less shouting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1l04TwM_Yo)

not as varied or quest heavy as Skyrim, it's not an RPG. But you can buy an RPG, paint it orange and take out enemy bases scattered out the map in any way you see fit.
You usually have just one or two missions available and they advance the story in some way. It is action heavy and FC3 and FC4 are quite different from the previous two in pacing and fun-factor.

Cool enemy encounters brought me some good old FEAR feelings in wanting to replay certain scenarios and feeling like a badass throwing knives, air-meleeing and doing silent takedowns on an entire base without anyone knowing i was there. Using just the knife and bow effectively makes these the best Predator movie license games ever made! :D

Sushi Nao

Any impressions of the single player mission editor yet?

Cons:

- Still is weirdly limited to 4 ground textures per map
- Waterfalls are hard to place because they mess with the camera really badly
- Map size seems smaller than fc3, can't say for sure
- Seems like it's going to be difficult to cram in as much detail as single player, and some assets might not be included
- Iffy LOD but I haven't finished my horizons yet
- "Holes" are kind of a nightmare to work with
- Water level tool is weirdly coarse and limited

Pros:

- Powerful, fun terrain editor
- Decent interface, radial wheels make sense
- Tons of mutators and customization, there's a lot of potential here
- Powerful, cool looking lighting and time of day engine
- Can't stop thinking about my map

This is based on about 3 hours of mucking about. Haven't seen much in terms of AI yet, placed some wolves as a starter enemy but they were non-aggressive for some reason.

So to those that have played both, this or DA: Inquisition? Which would you pick up?

Trying to decide between the two because I'll only have time for one at the moment. I loved Far Cry 3, but Dragon Age looks awesome. Decisions. =/

inki

So to those that have played both, this or DA: Inquisition? Which would you pick up?

Trying to decide between the two because I'll only have time for one at the moment. I loved Far Cry 3, but Dragon Age looks awesome. Decisions. =/

Considering this game has co-op and DA doesn't I would go with this one. The community will slowly fade away from playing co-op in FC while DA will be amazing SP experience whenever you get it..

God I hear ya man... i loved FC3 as well but need to decide between FC4/DragonAge/GTAV...

Beat GTAV last gen... loved FC3... never played a DragonAge (but hear great things)... decisions...

AzerPhire

Did anyone buy through the $30 Origin (India store) deal? I did and was able to pre-load and install the game but when uPlay asks to activate the key it says the key is from a different region. I tried using a VPN and activating the key but that didn't work either.

Any advice before I contact support?

aravuus

Aww YES, first fortress without being detected on the first try. I thought I had fucked up since there were two heavies and I didn't have the heavy takedown skill.. But then I found a goddamn mortar on the outer walls and I just blew the shit out of the heavies and since they never saw what hit them, it counted as an undetected run.

Damn that felt good, can't wait for the next fortress

Considering this game has co-op and DA doesn't I would go with this one. The community will slowly fade away from playing co-op in FC while DA will be amazing SP experience whenever you get it..

DA does have coop, although not for the main quest. Personally, I'd go with that one cause it's the freshest of the three. GTA V is literally a remake, FC4 is really just more of what FC3 was but DA:I is very much its own game.

I have a feeling that GTA V is gonna damage these other games out recently, or even the same as in this case.

I see GTA V is the top 2 selling "next gen" games on amazon (couple of nintendo games are higher, hopefully they have a good holiday season since I am buying their console for X)

A bunch of my friends are buying GTA now despite not expressing any interest beforehand.

You know... at the end of the day, Assassins Creed and Far Cry and Watch Dogs are kind of similar. Not only they are the typical Ubisoft open world game with a big map full of icons of activities and collectibles, but all of them feature core gameplay consisting of a mix a action and stealth, and in all them the plot is kind of weak supporting said gameplay. Though of course there are with some variants (WD has also more driving missions, FC is a fps and therefore it tends more to action, AC appeal is partly the historical setting and it's third person action).

What I wanted to say it's that I'm playing both AC Unity and FC4, and FC4 is the better game. In both the story isn't very good and it's kind of there to justify the gameplay, which it's as I said a mix of action and stealth. And that's what I wanted to point out: both the action and the stealth are better in FC4. Combat in AC Unity (for now) is spamming attack button and hit parry when the indicator blinks on screen, and throw a smoke grenade if there are a lot of them.
FC4 combat is more a high grade FPS, much more engrossing, and with a structure that allows more freedom in the missions. Stealth in AC Unity works pretty bad, they detect you very fast, the clunky movement system doesn't allow you to react fast and hide or move before they see you, the feedback system isn't so clear, the cover button works in less than half of the times you would want to, the move from cover to cover works maybe in 10% of the occasions, and the new crouch button function isn't that really well thought as you can run around and stab people on the back and instead of crouching and moving slowly, it doesn't seem to have different noise levels. FC4 on the other hand has more precise, immediate controls that facilitate stealth, easier to do takedowns, a more interesting tagging enemies system that eagly vision, you can move bodies, silent weapons like the bow and the knives and silenced weapons and the throwing rock feature helps a lot.
If it wasn't because the great setting and art in Unity, it would have barely anything going for it.

That said. Damn, FC4 is really Far Cry 3.5. Not only it's the same hunting animals and take their skins to make a bigger wallet, a bigger loot bag, and bigger weapon holster etc, the same climbing towers with the same structure design (even the broken wooden ramps with ropes in them are still there) that unlock weapons in the shop, the same outposts with the same mechanics, the same loot system with chests with random crap and money, the same herb system, etc etc, it evens re-uses several of the FC3 weapons. It has the same silenced pistol, the same AKM, the same STG-90, the bow, etc and even re-uses misc animations without modifications like diving in the water, skinning animals and more. Hell, from what I played, I suspect it can have the same flaws of FC3, with a broken economy where the money is barely worth it (I already could buy half of the maps available), and game will be trivial once you unlock most of the skills and have a good weapon.
That really damps my enthusiasm for the game, even if I liked FC3. It reminds me of games like GTA Vice City, or AC Brotherhood/Revelations or Borderlands Presequel, games that didn't advance the number sequel because it was clear it was more of the same. Though here Ubisoft didn't have problems with calling it Far Cry 4.

Coop maybe the salvation of the game, as people says it's very fun and it's better integrated than in AC Unity.

Performance wise, the game runs at higher average fps than Unity, though in my computer with AMD card, the framerate jumps wildly so I'm not happy right now about it.

This is my problem. I am picking this up because I loved FC3, and FC4 PS4 will let me play it way better than I could run that game (and getting it cheap).

But there isnt anything I have seen that makes me want to buy from videos and trailers. I just find the world less appealing than FC3 (eg the snow areas dont look that great, even shangi-la looks less appealing to me than the great colorful views in FC3). I have a feeling its like FC3 where I just start playing and become addicted to it, but it seems like almost an exact copy paste of FC3 with some new things tacked on.

Also, ubi shouldnt make all these games have exact same mechanics, makes the games appear so similar playing I think since unity just came out. The tower thing originated in AC and it makes the most sense there, I dont need that in watchdogs and every FC, it just is so videogamey with the "here is region #7 where everything inside has a difficulty rating of 3 stars", Also if you have lots of collectibles and loot that makes it worthwhile - at least unity had a equipment system that let you spend your money on cool stuff so it was always good to have more money.

Skyzard

Banned
This game is a looker. Skyrim would be proud.

Did anyone buy through the $30 Origin (India store) deal? I did and was able to pre-load and install the game but when uPlay asks to activate the key it says the key is from a different region. I tried using a VPN and activating the key but that didn't work either.

Any advice before I contact support?

In Uplay network settings force proxy with one of these:

http://www.proxynova.com/proxy-server-list/country-in/

Keep trying, you should be able to register it after you get through with one. Shouldn't need it again.

I bought it from India Origin, working fine since yesterday.

So how long do I have to wait for the Easter egg ending?

I was afk about 15 mins and came back to it (triggered when I controlled him). I think that's what you're talking about. I was pretty confused.
the online thing kicked me to the start screen already a few times, was hoping I was about to start that time and not go through the unskippable intro again

Tk0n

I saw a propaganda poster on the outer wall of a house's second floor, how the hell am I supposed to reach it? Tried jumping, tried carefully getting it from the nearby window, tried shooting it, nothing.

can you drive a car there and climb on it?

Skyzard

Banned
Not sure about the full campaign co-op, curious myself. I remember hearing it was just certain missions.

No campaign missions.

Ah, cheers.
Awesome thanks! Will try this out when I'm home from work.

No worries, I forgot to mention switch to offline mode after changing the settings. Then press the go online button. This will get it to reconnect with the proxy. Once you've registered it, you can disable the proxy again. Probably best to restart uplay after that.

aravuus

can you drive a car there and climb on it?

I vaguely recall there being some junk on the ground but I'll give this a try when I get to play again later today, thanks

e: this just goes to show how bad i am at thinking outside the box lol

This game has towns/villages at least as "big" as the starting village in FC3 right? With a bunch of NPC's etc.

All the screens I saw are small bases (like enemy base)

Skyzard

Banned
^ So far it seems a bit small, though I didn't explore it too much, ran off pretty quick. Or maybe it was more spread out. Hopefully there will be something like it.

Gave it a quick whirl, played through the intro and opened the world up for exploring, and it's definitely not for me. Setting seems neat (love the snow) and the gunplay/general presentation is mostly satisfying but I still can't shake that horrendous Far Cry 3 vibe of miles of empty, uninteresting land littered with soulless check-listing quests, meaningless loot, and arbitrary levelling. Like I feel I've seen what the game is literally all about and all it can provide in the first 30 minutes and everything beyond is padding. Oh well.

Guns feel cool to shoot though.

That's how I felt about FC3. I was worried FC4 would be more of the same but I took a chance on it (heard graphics were great and Indian Origin price).

So far, the graphics are keeping me. FC3 they were nasty even maxed out.
This looks wonderful to walk around in. It's like someone modded skyrim for you already and threw in some guns. Lush environment.

However...1080p didn't do it for me (that might be just my issue since switching to a 4k monitor, not only because 1080p doesn't look as good on it) but 2560x1440 is beautiful.

I can get 60fps in 1080p maxed out. Usually I'd take that for 60fps in a first person shooter.

Locked this one down to 35 (so far) trying to find a nice compromise between framerate and steady frametime with these graphics. It's worth the 25 frame loss! Absolutely. Very immersive, so far.

Is it true about the bases you take over being under attack as soon as you leave, or relatively soon after?

Haven't caught one yet but I imagine the celebrating soldiers who fire off their guns after a victory are responsible. Seem to attract snipers at least (I think). Need to get back to this.

ironcreed

Banned
Only played for a little bit last night, but it looks gorgeous and plays like silk on PS4. Really looking forward to spending some time with this one. Kyrat is amazing.

Busigkatt

Banned
I was just introduced to the co-op guy but I don't understand how to invite friends. I can just call in the rebels to help me. About the 10 keys PlayStation were talking about. How do I know that I got them, are they instantly in the game? And can I use all 10 of them with one friend who dosen't have the game, or will they only work one time per friend? Thanks!

Outposts and fortresses will get bigger and harder.

nudge-nudge-wink-wink-o.gif

The AK-47 sounds loads better in FC4 than it did in 3. Also, the compound bow is a beast. Dropping fools with headshots from a distance is tight. Can't wait to jump back into the world tonight. Hopefully I will stumble across the gyrocopter tonight.

greenegt

I have a feeling that GTA V is gonna damage these other games out recently, or even the same as in this case.

I see GTA V is the top 2 selling "next gen" games on amazon (couple of nintendo games are higher, hopefully they have a good holiday season since I am buying their console for X)

A bunch of my friends are buying GTA now despite not expressing any interest beforehand.

I really wish publishers would be more creative and space out releases more. I hate to see good games burying one-another.

Wiseguy

Banned
So....I downloaded the demo on PS4. I go to play the demo and it's asking me to purchase the game or ask a friend for the keys to Kuyrat. Never seen a demo do this...lol

Any friends here have a spare key? I want to check this out before purchasing later today. Thanks!

Salz01

So....I downloaded the demo on PS4. I go to play the demo and it's asking me to purchase the game or ask a friend for the keys to Kuyrat. Never seen a demo do this...lol

Any friends here have a spare key? I want to check this out before purchasing later today. Thanks!

So the "demo" is locked until somebody gives you a key? That's BS if true.

Pretty much the most inaccurate description possible.
It's like Skyrim if the world was really full and interesting to explore and traverse
instead of a barren wasteland where you hump your way up mountains
, and had really smooth combat where you feel perfectly at home going full Rambo and assaulting a base with explosives and a machine gun or hunting the guards with your knife and a bow.

Man, I remember that poster with that quote on it made me not buy the Farcry 3 until like two months after it's release. Legitimately the most blatant use of trying to sell X game by saying its Y (popular game) with Z, no matter how much of a reach it is.

Wiseguy

Banned
So the "demo" is locked until somebody gives you a key? That's BS if true.

It's true alright, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for a key...lol. On up side, I won't have to install the game if I get the full version. And if I get the full game I'll be sure to pass along some keys here.

Heads up for anyone who got this with the 970 promotion and can't play yet: You might not have a key associated with your account for some reason. I had to call up Uplay support, give them my order number, and they got me a key.

Now I have to redownload all 31GB though... Uplay strikes again.

How's the performance on Xbox One?

I was checking out some videos of the PS3 version for fun and, man, it looks bad. Like, why even bother releasing it at this point? I don't get it. The frame-rate is super low, the screen tearing is non-stop, and the visuals look dramatically worse. Uglier visuals and a moderately stable 30 fps would have been playable but not this. Far Cry 3 was seemingly just as bad.
Performance wise it's pretty smooth with a solid frame rate. It's locked at 30 fps and so far it's been consistent. Haven't noticed any glitches or game breaking bugs. Definitely a lot better from playing Far Cry 3 on console.
Here's a video that goes a little more in-depth with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rld3TN2le3A

My copy shipped last night. The last tracking update was at about 8am. It's now nearly 5pm and no Far Cry so I guess I'm not playing today. :(

soultron

Banned

It's actually kind of frustrating I can't shoot it down. It's a piece of fucking paper, taped to a wall.

You can do the following:

- Drive a vehicle up to it and see if you can climb on top of the vehicle to reach it.
- Throw a molotov at it.
- Use a fire arrow.
- Use the flamethrower.

Some of these require you to be creative in how you take them down.

Top Bottom