• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Chiggs

Gold Member
Far Cry is the new Assassin's Creed. Same shit every year or every other year.

Like someone else mentioned, this game is basically part 3 in a mountain setting. Strikes me as pretty lazy, honestly.

I imagine that people who haven't played part 3 will be quite enamored with the game, as the quality of the presentation is really damn good. The problem is that fans of the franchise, especially those who have played part 3, might feel this game is a bit stale.

Like someone else mentioned, this game is basically part 3 in a mountain setting. Strikes me as pretty lazy, honestly.

I imagine that people who haven't played part 3 will be quite enamored with the game, as the quality of the presentation is really damn good. The problem is that fans of the franchise, especially those who have played part 3, might feel this game is a bit stale.

I don't know i spent 80 hours in 3 and really cannot stop playing 4 at the moment,

I don't mean to sound like a troll, but are you people playing the same game as me on PS4? Admittedly I haven't finished the first patch yet, but the ground textures (and most really) do not look that great. I'm actually a bit disappointed compared to Unity, and even some of GTA V. Does the patch make a real difference?

It's amazing though. After playing exclusively Assassin's Creed Unity for a few day, as soon as I started playing Far Cry 4 I though, "this is fast". it really isn't but by comparison, Unity is so much slower. :/

Alienous

So, to the people who bought the game, do you think it's worth it if you already played Far Cry 3 on PC (i.e. not the shit last-gen versions)?

I'm seeing gameplay and it just seem far too similar. Is the CO-OP a game changer?

That seems to be what everyone is saying. The only reason I bought it day one is because I never played 3 but did play blood dragon and loved it.

M.W.

So, to the people who bought the game, do you think it's worth it if you already played Far Cry 3 on PC (i.e. not the shit last-gen versions)?

I'm seeing gameplay and it just seem far too similar. Is the CO-OP a game changer?

If you liked FC3, absolutely. It's the same shit, but it's been finely tuned. I'm loving it.

Gaz_RB

I was just thinking "man, this game would be cooler if it had assassination missions."

Then bam, got an assassination mission and it was awesome. Glad you can move bodies at will now.

It is a very "familiar"... but as someone who was blown away by FC3, I recommend picking up 4. The game performs very well on PC, the graphics definitely look a cut above FC3, especially the vistas. There is a lot more wildlife diversity... the world feels generally more populated. I'm only a few hours in and have barely scratched the surface. I've only slightly made progress in the campaign considering I'm having fun exploring & capturing outpost and towers.

It is more of the same... but that's what I expected.
It's worth the price of entry IMO. I opted for FC4 over GTAV... which literally would have been more of the same, considering I beat the game on PS3.

ironcreed

Banned

I have only played the first little bit, but it looks and plays amazing. The world and atmosphere also feel entirely different. But at the core, it's Far Cry 3 mechanics with more built on top of that. Which anyone who loved Far Cry 3 should be happy about.

I hardly play games anymore. I still have a PS3. I enjoyed FC3, and think I'll be picking this up.

Is there an option for when you clear every enemy camp you can reactivate them? Or is that gonna be a patch like for FC3?

Hopefully with the ability to move bodies we'll see a bunch of videos of people setting them up and jumping over them with vehicles.

Poeton

Ha so I'm selling some loot at the store and the description for a hypodermic needle says,

"Filled with glowing liquid. If this were a failed underwater utopia, you wouldn't think twice about jamming this in your arm"

I lol'd

Gaz_RB

Yes, coop is such a blast, and works really well. Locking it to two players allows better teamwork with randoms, especially because there is a dialogue/emote wheel which makes strategizing fun even without a mic.

Last night after I unlocked coop, I just hopped in a random game. I spent the next 3 hours with this random guy, following him around and completing missions and taking outposts. We became really good at teamwork and it was just so much fun following this guy around like a mercenary and backing him up. In one situation, we crashed our bro helicopter into the middle of an enemy outpost, and then we did this Bad Boys back to back stuff to take out all the enemies. I can't wait to play with a mic and some friends I actually know.

As for the game being similar to Far Cry 3, it is, gameplay wise at least. You shoot stuff, most the abilities are the same, you hunt/craft, you take outposts, etc. If you didn't like FC3''s gameplay, you still won't like this. But I don't feel like it gets old. My main issue with FC3 is that I wanted more.
I think way more time went into crafting the world of Kyrat, which I am loving way more than the tropical stuff in Far Cry 3. It feels like a real place, and it's absolutely beautiful on PS4.
I had both GTA and Dragon Age last night, but I couldn't pull myself away from Far Cry.

Don't get me wrong if they announced far cry 5 next year and it is the exact game I will be pissed. I guess this is the right time for 4 to me.

Also stupid honey badgers!

So what difference does the play campaign offline or online option make?

If you do it online, you can get people to join you and coop some outposts.

However it comes at a cost. A few minutes ago I was inches away from the top of a radio tower, only for the game to pop and say "you have been disconnected from the ubisoft servers, you will be sent to the main menu" I don't lose much progress, but still, annoying.

Calderc

Doing what I did in FC3 and trying to get all the hunting upgrades done. Only problem is I can't find any damn honey badgers!

Anyone know any good spawn points for them?

i lost connection to the ubisoft servers during a mission, got kicked back to the main menu. I went back in offline, but am stuck at the initial loading screen. Known problem?

Riky

$MSFT
I've played the X1 version for a bit, framerate seems solid, I can't be sure on resolution though as I can't tell much difference between 1080p and 900p upscaled with my eyes.

I can only speak for the PS4 version, but it looks gorgeous and plays like straight butter.

I picked up the XB1 version - I have both consoles but I could buy XB1 points cheap enough to save quite a bit of money.

Looks fabulous runs really well. So sounds like both formats are great.

Doing what I did in FC3 and trying to get all the hunting upgrades done. Only problem is I can't find any damn honey badgers!

Anyone know any good spawn points for them?
I found them all right in the center of the first "open" map area, near where there are two deer like animals shown... buy the compound bow for 60,000. The honey fuckers take some damage.... and that bow is awesome.

mf luder

If you do it online, you can get people to join you and coop some outposts.

However it comes at a cost. A few minutes ago I was inches away from the top of a radio tower, only for the game to pop and say "you have been disconnected from the ubisoft servers, you will be sent to the main menu" I don't lose much progress, but still, annoying.

Thanks. Wow that sounds bad. Can you change to play online in the in-game menu or only before you start?

sam777

But this is more fun than AC. Also FC3 Was very good, so they didn't need to change much, gameplay wise.

Alienous

If you liked FC3, absolutely. It's the same shit, but it's been finely tuned. I'm loving it.

It is a very "familiar"... but as someone who was blown away by FC3, I recommend picking up 4. The game performs very well on PC, the graphics definitely look a cut above FC3, especially the vistas. There is a lot more wildlife diversity... the world feels generally more populated. I'm only a few hours in and have barely scratched the surface. I've only slightly made progress in the campaign considering I'm having fun exploring & capturing outpost and towers.

It is more of the same... but that's what I expected.
It's worth the price of entry IMO. I opted for FC4 over GTAV... which literally would have been more of the same, considering I beat the game on PS3.

I have only played the first little bit, but it looks and plays amazing. The world and atmosphere also feel entirely different. But at the core, it's Far Cry 3 mechanics with more built on top of that. Which anyone who loved Far Cry 3 should be happy about.

Yes, coop is such a blast, and works really well. Locking it to two players allows better teamwork with randoms, especially because there is a dialogue/emote wheel which makes strategizing fun even without a mic.

Last night after I unlocked coop, I just hopped in a random game. I spent the next 3 hours with this random guy, following him around and completing missions and taking outposts. We became really good at teamwork and it was just so much fun following this guy around like a mercenary and backing him up. In one situation, we crashed our bro helicopter into the middle of an enemy outpost, and then we did this Bad Boys back to back stuff to take out all the enemies. I can't wait to play with a mic and some friends I actually know.

As for the game being similar to Far Cry 3, it is, gameplay wise at least. You shoot stuff, most the abilities are the same, you hunt/craft, you take outposts, etc. If you didn't like FC3''s gameplay, you still won't like this. But I don't feel like it gets old. My main issue with FC3 is that I wanted more.
I think way more time went into crafting the world of Kyrat, which I am loving way more than the tropical stuff in Far Cry 3. It feels like a real place, and it's absolutely beautiful on PS4.
I had both GTA and Dragon Age last night, but I couldn't pull myself away from Far Cry.

Thanks.

I'll have to look into it. God dammit, Ubi.

Some of the AI is weird. Npc's walk in the middle of the road then get run over by other npc's.

Got a NPC driving through a 'forst' and hitting a tree. My guess is that he wanted to get to an ambush but it was still fun to watch.

Oh, and one truck (Royal Truck of whatever the english word for it might be) got stuck in the road.

The game isn't perfect but so far it's a lot of fun to play.

aravuus

Anyone else on PC not able to log into sodding uPlay?

*sigh*

Why. Why. This happens every time.

Yup. Good old Ubisoft and their shit software.

Quite the opposite for me

Top Bottom