• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

DrPizza

Banned
First one I've had real problems with, and you're right.

Hit jump much earlier than you expect to. Jump so early that you think you'll inevitably fall short. The jumps in the bell towers are very sticky. They'll pull you in from quite a distance away. I found that almost all my missed jumps were from trying to jump too late (and just falling), rather than too early.

Just got to Northern Kyrat and the very first Bell Tower is annoying me. It's the one with the beehive and I can't seem to make the final, long jump to the platform (I've tried about 10 Times now and always fall to my death). There's got to be something I'm missing.

Edit: Figured it out. It's just a super tough jump to make. Took me over 10 tries. A running start helps.

I found it easiest to inch right up to the edge of the platform and then jump.

DrPizza

Banned
Amita scene is
kidnaping & recruiting children to fight and work on drug fields right ?

Yeah, recruiting child soldiers, taking them from their parents at gunpoint, nice stuff.

I went with Sabal and
you find him at the temple cutting throats and executing ''unbelievers''
Then I killed that religious fanatic.
Doesn't matter who (Amita/Sabal) you choose they are both shit.
Yes, which I think is the point.

Too bad there's no cutscene or option for you to take over and rule kyrat.
And at the end when you find the truth about your parents (if you spare Pagan Min) there is no feedback on this revelation..... it's like oh by the way your father killed your half-sister and your mother in return killed him. Also Pagan went insane after that.
Pagan Min is such great yet completely underused character.

And game story would be far better if you could join Pagan like in that alternate ending/beggining.
Yeah, I'd like an option to say "fuck these idiots, take me with you on your helicopter".

Also I found Paul:

screenshot

His ringing cellphone is next to the cage and the guard is pissing on it : D

He is near that first village where you start.
I shot the cage open to see if I could release him. The guards promptly shot him. I wonder what would happen if I took the -100 Karma from killing the guards and then released him.

Does anyone else have a glitch where whenever you hijack a cargo truck and bring it to a golden Golden Path outpost, it resets your grenades and molotovs to 0? It always says ammo refilled and #x grenades/molotovs pops up in the messages, but they're always 0 afterwards.

It's getting really annoying. I have the biggest throwables bag and I like to keep my on hand stock full, so every time I lose 15 grenades and 15 molotovs. It doesn't seem to affect throwing knives though.

Does anyone else have a glitch where whenever you hijack a cargo truck and bring it to a golden Golden Path outpost, it resets your grenades and molotovs to 0? It always says ammo refilled and #x grenades/molotovs pops up in the messages, but they're always 0 afterwards.

It's getting really annoying. I have the biggest throwables bag and I like to keep my on hand stock full, so every time I lose 15 grenades and 15 molotovs. It doesn't seem to affect throwing knives though.

Happens to me as well. That patented Ubisoft quality. Better to just destroy the trucks until (if?) they patch it.

Happens to me as well. That patented Ubisoft quality. Better to just destroy the trucks until (if?) they patch it.

Well, at least I'm not alone. Yeah, I'll just start destroying them too. I was bringing them back for the bigger reward, but if I'm losing more ammo than I should be earning, what's the point? Dunno if there's a bigger XP reward or not, I'll have to check on that.

Well, at least I'm not alone. Yeah, I'll just start destroying them too. I was bringing them back for the bigger reward, but if I'm losing more ammo than I should be earning, what's the point? Dunno if there's a bigger XP reward or not, I'll have to check on that.

It definitely gives more XP, but you're also looking into $100,000 worth of ammo refills. Pretty annoying.

How many missions do I have to do before I can go off and do what I want? I think i've done like 5 story missions so far. I was hunting so I can carry more stuff in my loot bag when the animals ran off. I guess they ran too far because as I was chasing them, I was told to turn back around or the objective would fail(I guess a story mission that I had not yet started?) I wanted to do a bell tower, when I was told to turn around because I was "out of bounds." I can tell i'm going to like the game as I loved Far Cry 3 and this seems more of the same, which i'm fine with. I might be wrong but I don't remember Far Cry 3 doing this.

Beaulieu

I haven't been there yet to give you any pointers, but I've run into this scenario a few times already. it definitely messes with the game's pacing.

is there a hooking point up ?
or maybe you need to run and jump ?
dont recall haveing that type of issue with any of the towers...

How many missions do I have to do before I can go off and do what I want? I think i've done like 5 story missions so far. I was hunting so I can carry more stuff in my loot bag when the animals ran off. I guess they ran too far because as I was chasing them, I was told to turn back around or the objective would fail(I guess a story mission that I had not yet started?) I wanted to do a bell tower, when I was told to turn around because I was "out of bounds." I can tell i'm going to like the game as I loved Far Cry 3 and this seems more of the same, which i'm fine with. I might be wrong but I don't remember Far Cry 3 doing this.

after you liberate the first outpost. you are nearly there if you did the hunting mission.

jacobeid

Banned
I wasted an hour and a half today in that worthless companion app to get my arena rank up to level 10, I come home and the bushman is still locked.

Anyone else?

Edit: I had to go into the arena in game. I played a round of endless and got myself killed within seconds, went back to the store and ta-da! Unlocked.

Pretty lame. A lot of the classic Ubisoft stuff keeps taking me out of the excellent world that the team managed to build.

jacobeid

Banned
Also does anyone else find it jarring that you're essentially playing as a foreign fighter who (depending on your in game choices) participates in the global
drug trade
?

Also does anyone else find it jarring that you're essentially playing as a foreign fighter who (depending on your in game choices) participates in the global
drug trade
?

Nope.
In FC3 you were a coked up tourist murder machine traipsing around some islands.
In FC2 you were a mercenary killing people for money. Literally.
The only Far Crys where you weren't up to some grotesquely dubious shit were FC1 and FC:Blawd Dragon.

The writers have pretty much defined Far Cry as a "foreigner comes along, murders shit thinking he's helping, but not really." sim.

is there a hooking point up ?
or maybe you need to run and jump ?
dont recall haveing that type of issue with any of the towers...

after you liberate the first outpost. you are nearly there if you did the hunting mission.

Thanks...going to get that done later tonight.

jacobeid

Banned
Nope.
In FC3 you were a coked up tourist murder machine traipsing around some islands.
The only Far Crys where you weren't up to some grotesquely dubious shit were FC1 and FC:Blawd Dragon.

The writers have pretty much defined Far Cry as a "foreigner comes along, murders shit thinking he's helping, but not really." sim.

You're absolutely right but I guess given current events I noticed it a bit more.

Eyothrie

Haven't been paying attention since launch. Is the game still stuttering on PC? I read somewhere that the cause is frame times being all over the place while framerate remains constant.

DrPizza

Banned
Nope.
Albeit to avenge (and
rescue
) your brother.

For sure, but you arguably don't finish the game that way.

Hrm, having only played 2, 3, and 4, the only one where that really rings true is

Jason I feel was more dragged into things, and was basically exploited by Citra and Dennis.

And in Far Cry 2 (honestly I have no recollection of the protagonist's name, it's been sooo long since I played it), I think toward the end you side with, uhhh, I think it's just a voice, isn't it? A person on the end of the phone? And kind of get out of the whole business.

DrPizza

Banned
Haven't been paying attention since launch. Is the game still stuttering on PC? I read somewhere that the cause is frame times being all over the place while framerate remains constant.
My AMD card (6950) was stuttery as fuck. I replaced it with a GTX 980 and for the most part it's pretty smooth. I've read that NVIDIA cards should have issues too (and in fairness, my shadows are totally fucked up for whatever reason) but the stuttering is basically gone.

Albeit to avenge (and
rescue
) your brother.
For sure, but you arguably don't finish the game that way.
Hrm, having only played 2, 3, and 4, the only one where that really rings true is
Jason I feel was more dragged into things, and was basically exploited by Citra and Dennis.
And in Far Cry 2 (honestly I have no recollection of the protagonist's name, it's been sooo long since I played it), I think toward the end you side with, uhhh, I think it's just a voice, isn't it? A person on the end of the phone? And kind of get out of the whole business.

You can choose the protagonist from a pool of mercs in FC2. The mission is the same: kill the jackal. As the game progresses you realize that the situation there is just a mess, and nothing good will come of it.

Oh man, i went to the wiki to remember the story. FC2 might as well be called Shit Sandwich: The game. Fucksake.

In FC3, you could've bailed once you killed Vas, who flat-out tells you numerous times that people are just using you left and right. You opt to stay for a while longer, see things through.

Aaaand in FC4...well.. you started with the best of intentions...

You can also say that a trait of the series is that the protagonist is considerably changed by the journey. Can't really say if it is for the better.
-

Huh, this is even mirrored in
the british officer letters. And in mohan's diary. And, if you mistrust mohan's narrative, in how pagan acted. Then again, mohan was an asshat, so who knows.

And then there's agent Willis.

Just did my first visit to Shangri-La...if they do a spin-off like they did for FC3 I would vote for it being in Shangri-La

ibnqfI0rvpUJ2R.jpg

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Serious question, please tell me i get to put a bullet in the heads of both Yogi and Reggie.

On another topic do hope eventually in the story the main guy stops making the disgusted noises with carving up animals. Since you would think he has gotten used to it by the 10000000000th carcass carving.

Just got to Northern Kyrat and the very first Bell Tower is annoying me. It's the one with the beehive and I can't seem to make the final, long jump to the platform (I've tried about 10 Times now and always fall to my death). There's got to be something I'm missing.

Edit: Figured it out. It's just a super tough jump to make. Took me over 10 tries. A running start helps.

Btw with towers, just get a heli once it becomes available and fly to the tops. Since fuck Ubi and their pain in the ass "random" internally designed climbing minigames. Though most of the time the heli will bug out and automatically be pushed out of the top floor of the tower once after you land and get off from the heli. If it collides with you it can kill you so keep that in mind. Most of the time the heli will survive the fall from the top to the bottom, so just go look for it after. Thats if it didnt go totally over the side of the mountain.

So much easier to do and you waste less time. :D

Hugstable

Banned
I want the same trophy. Sometime tonight we can help each other get it? I'll be on psn in a bit

Oh sweet! I should be down in about an hour and half from now, I think there are 2 Co-Op trophies, the Outpost one as Hurk and then the vehicular takedown one when you are the passenger. Shouldn't be too hard to get them done though, I only have a few of the Outposts left, so they are mainly the ones in the North with 3+ alarms haha.

Just did my first visit to Shangri-La...if they do a spin-off like they did for FC3 I would vote for it being in Shangri-La

ibnqfI0rvpUJ2R.jpg

Oh hell yes! Far Cry: Blood Tiger please!

tookhster

I have a GTX 760, i7 4770k. Should I get this on PC or PS4? On one hand I want the game to look as beautiful as possible, but on the other hand I could play co-op with a friend on PS4. Are the graphics on PC much better than PS4? Any recommendations?

how is online co-op?
two people can play the game co-op from two consoles?
any issues?

I'm staggered that no company excepting perhaps Bungie (well, they didn't get it totally right either) are doing online well. Well means, no disconnects, time outs, errors, voice issues, and all the other stuff that goes wrong with online modes.

Even Rockstar, which had a year+ to debug GTA online, are still struggling with GTA 5 online.

Strider

Oh sweet! I should be down in about an hour and half from now, I think there are 2 Co-Op trophies, the Outpost one as Hurk and then the vehicular takedown one when you are the passenger. Shouldn't be too hard to get them done though, I only have a few of the Outposts left, so they are mainly the ones in the North with 3+ alarms haha.

Alright sounds good! Just message me on PSN.. if it works that is lol sad but true

The mission where I have to
free three slaves
might be the worst thing I've ever played all year which is a shame because this game is fantastic.

It's like the developers designed a Splinter Cell level but put all the resources into Far Cry 4 and put it in first person. I have never been so angry at a mission than I have with this sack of shit.

Fuck.

Also the enemy AI is INCONSISTENT AS FUCK, in regards if a silenced weapon is fired at someone and kills them instantly. Holy shit what the fuck is wrong with this?

Also the enemy AI is INCONSISTENT AS FUCK, in regards if a silenced weapon is fired at someone and kills them instantly. Holy shit what the fuck is wrong with this?

Here's the trick with silent weapons:

If you miss, you're fucked.

The AI triggers a search location routine only when you miss.

They also seem to take extra damage if not in a combat state, which is why they nearly always die from one arrow if you're stealthing, but can take two or more during combat.

Late game? Get a high powered sniper rifle, pop hunting potion, go to a higher position, and take your time sniping every single fucker inside an outpost while never setting foot in the place. Easy undetected.

Top Bottom