• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 |OT| Welcome to Kyrat

Randam

I noticed that different characters would pronounce it differently. It could just be that the natives pronounce it properly.
Noticed that too. Think that is on purpose.
And btw.: English speakers should check out how we pronounce the german brandname "Adidas" in germany.
Totally different.

DrPizza

Banned
I just saw the GT review and something that bugged me a lot, I noticed this is the preview videos that surfaced around when the game was revealed or such. It's that the pronunciation of the character is completely off, it's not even close to the actual pronunciation. His name's Ajay Ghale, which is pronounced as Aa-jaye Gha-lay ...instead most (including the developers !!) just pronounce it AJ Gayle lol. You'd atleast expect the devs to get the names of their own characters right...heh

It's not even a difficult name, I myself have an Indian name which is more complex than this and no one ever has had any issue pronouncing it right. Is it the same in the game? ie. the pronunciation for Ajay is just AJ.

The game deliberately uses both pronunciations. Americans (Hurk, Willis) use the Americanized pronunciation, and one assumes that's what Ajay himself goes by (I don't honestly remember if he ever says his own name).

Kyratis generally use the correct pronunciation, in part because many of them are heavily invested in Ajay's heritage and, in particular, his father.

cheezcake

Isnt Kyrat fictional? Is so they can speak what ever they want to :p

"Technically" fictional, but clearly based off Nepal. First off Kyrat is at the foot of the Himalayas exactly where Nepal would be, "Kyrat" itself is an obvious slight alteration off the very real Kirati people. The blade used by Ajay is the Khukuri, distinctive to Nepal (in particular the Ghurka). The religious stuff in the game is also a mix of Hinduism and Tibetan Buddhism (which confused me at the start as stuff like mani wheels are not present in Hinduism and I'm not familiar with tibetan buddhism). But this matches pretty closely with the religion of the real Kirati people, Kirant Mundhum

There's also the whole civil war going on in the game, and Nepal had a decade long civil war, a rebellious faction comprised of citizens fighting their king and his royal forces, which ended in 2006

Pimpbaa

Shoot the driver in the head if front on, otherwise hit it with a grenade to the cabin. Will survive 2-3 grenades.

Easiest is just to headshot the driver.

Pretty easy just to drive up along side and shoot the driver too. Well, if playing with a controller. Aim assist is pretty strong while shooting from a vehicle. Also helps if you have a sidearm that kills pretty quick.

DrPizza

Banned
Pretty easy just to drive up along side and shoot the driver too. Well, if playing with a controller. Aim assist is pretty strong while shooting from a vehicle. Also helps if you have a sidearm that kills pretty quick.

But less effective if, as I do, you roll with the M79 in your sidearm slot, as you stand a reasonable chance of destroying everything.

Still, raining grenade death from a gyrcopter is hard to beat.

Aces&Eights

Yeah, there were two of them. I didn't realise they could do that. Thanks for letting me know. :)

hunters can also see through bushes so if you are camping up above the base in a bush and they face you they will see you. You have to get behind a rock or back away so the earth of the hill is between you.

Focus on rescuing one person at a time. Once you have freed someone they stay free even if you get detected.

The downside is that enemies reset lol

Kill everyone with your bow before they see you. If it gets hot just hide and wait it out, they'll eventually go back to fucking off.

mo1518

Neo Member
I just saw the GT review and something that bugged me a lot, I noticed this is the preview videos that surfaced around when the game was revealed or such. It's that the pronunciation of the character is completely off, it's not even close to the actual pronunciation. His name's Ajay Ghale, which is pronounced as Aa-jaye Gha-lay ...instead most (including the developers !!) just pronounce it AJ Gayle lol. You'd atleast expect the devs to get the names of their own characters right...heh

It's not even a difficult name, I myself have an Indian name which is more complex than this and no one ever has had any issue pronouncing it right. Is it the same in the game? ie. the pronunciation for Ajay is just AJ.

Not sure if this is technically a spoiler but:

The radio station DJ actually does a bit explaining the two pronounciations on his show.

Got it : )
Trophy requirements are surprisingly easy and you don't need to complete or collect everything beside outposts and bell towers.

B3IwtYvIQAAbcZi.jpg:large

Some stats:
-less than 60% done
-27 hours spent

Really enjoyed it. But the main story is disappointing.... It's true Pagan Min is in a game for about 10 minutes. If you have seen trailers that's everything there is about him ._.

Linius

Pigs are hard to find in this game. When I googled it I saw people mentioning up the hill from the first outpost you capture. There are actually two hills you can go up there but I didn't see any pigs. Stumbled upon one pig by luck at a watchtower if you go north from that first outpost. I need two more pig skins for a bigger loot bag. And I need it fast :/

Taking out bad guys from the gyrocopter is fun by the way :D

neurophd

What difficulty should I start on? I played Far Cry 3 and I am looking to put in around 30-40hrs. Does normal offer enough of a challenge that forces creativity in approach, using all systems the game offers?

Got it : )
Trophy requirements are surprisingly easy and you don't need to complete or collect everything beside outposts and bell towers.

Some stats:
-less than 60% done
-27 hours spent

Really enjoyed it. But the main story is disappointing.... It's true Pagan Min is in a game for about 10 minutes. If you have seen trailers that's everything there is about him ._.

Any tips for farming XP? I've done every outpost/fortress with the exception of Min's. I'm currently doing the propaganda quests (on the last one) and will go for the Kyrat Films after but will I inevitably have to reset the outposts?

I'm 28 hours in - still need the two online campaign trophies (hurk mission, passenger seat hijack), the arena (i've grinded up to just under level 3) and the skills trophy. I still need around 20-25 skill points though and it's a real slog.

Amita has said to me with 4/5 missions left to go and do anything I need to before I do the next campaign mission... do you get to carry on after you've finished it? Want to get the campaign done now as I only have a few missions left but obviously won't if its going to put me down a tunnel where I can't go back and do stuff

Amita has said to me with 4/5 missions left to go and do anything I need to before I do the next campaign mission... do you get to carry on after you've finished it? Want to get the campaign done now as I only have a few missions left but obviously won't if its going to put me down a tunnel where I can't go back and do stuff

Yeah, you're fine. Don't worry about not being able to continue, because you definitely can.

Pigs are hard to find in this game. When I googled it I saw people mentioning up the hill from the first outpost you capture. There are actually two hills you can go up there but I didn't see any pigs. Stumbled upon one pig by luck at a watchtower if you go north from that first outpost. I need two more pig skins for a bigger loot bag. And I need it fast :/

Taking out bad guys from the gyrocopter is fun by the way :D

If you've discovered Ajay's summit house yet, where you find the two potheads vacating, there's an option to a build pig pen on the property. I haven't done it myself, but I specifically recall seeing it in the list of additions that you can build within that property on the summit.

masteratt

What difficulty should I start on? I played Far Cry 3 and I am looking to put in around 30-40hrs. Does normal offer enough of a challenge that forces creativity in approach, using all systems the game offers?
I've played FC3 on hard no problem but had to downgrade to Normal for FC4 and am enjoying it more.

Outpost design seems less forgiving and I'm constantly getting attacked by hawks from the sky. Also enemies are tougher. There are hunter types that hide in bushes and seem to arrow you out of nowhere.

ButchCat

Any tips for farming XP? I've done every outpost/fortress with the exception of Min's. I'm currently doing the propaganda quests (on the last one) and will go for the Kyrat Films after but will I inevitably have to reset the outposts?

I'm 28 hours in - still need the two online campaign trophies (hurk mission, passenger seat hijack), the arena (i've grinded up to just under level 3) and the skills trophy. I still need around 20-25 skill points though and it's a real slog.
Rather than destroying convoys deliver them to outposts, this should triple your xp reward.

Syncytia

Oh man, the rhinos in this game. I'm currently on top of a rock with a couple bullets left and one grenade. Three of them are below me and I have no escape.

I went straight with hard and to be honest...it's pretty easy. I turned off the mini-map, and most indicators/hints in an attempt to make it more challenging, but I still find it pretty easy. I have more money than I know what to do with, more ammo then I need, and the only enemies I have any trouble with really are the heavy units. But nine times out of ten all I do to kill them is distract them with a rock and take them down using the 'heavy takedown' skill.

So yeah, I'd say go with hard mode.

Rather than destroying convoys deliver them to outposts, this should triple your xp reward.

This! Really easy to do if you have
the skill to hijack other vehicles by pressing R3 while driving next to the driver's side of vehicle

I recalling netting about 1500 XP for delivering the convoy to the nearest outpost. Could be wrong about that amount of XP, so don't take my word for it.

Just picked up a One today and this game was top of my list to get with it but it's pretty damn expensive here in the UK. I loved Far Cry 3 but not sure I'm willing to drop £45ish on this yet. What do you guys think?

jambo

Is there any way to set it on the PC version so that looking through the binocs will NOT tag enemies?

I don't like the glowing outlines, makes it far too easy, but being able to use the binocs to get a better view would be handy.

Is there any way to set it on the PC version so that looking through the binocs will NOT tag enemies?

I don't like the glowing outlines, makes it far too easy, but being able to use the binocs to get a better view would be handy.

I don't think there is. I've had to resort to using my sniper scope to survey locations instead.

vypek

A bit late but thanks to those people who answered about the range lines on the scope.

Currently taking a break from the campaign to try and do co-op and get the changing lanes trophy. Taking forever to get a match right now. 1st partner was really terrible and hated stealth, 2nd one was better but didn't want to do any objectives...both loved to blow stuff up with grenade launchers (including my opportunities for a takedown)

vypek

Just conquered Paul's fortress. Doing that shit was fucking intense.

Are you doing the fortress after it has been weakened or just doing it any time you want? Paul's was intense for me because I accidentally caused an alert and it got helicopters and mortars attacking me. Fortress attacks don't seem to be too bad with a partner though

Are you doing the fortress after it has been weakened or just doing it any time you want? Paul's was intense for me because I accidentally caused an alert and it got helicopters and mortars attacking me. Fortress attacks don't seem to be too bad with a partner though

They're really easy if you weaken them and are also good at stealth. Noore's was a breeze.

Gray Matter

It was weakened a bit, I came prepare but it still was a bit of a hassle with the helicopters and mortars. I also stayed outside on a hill the entire time.

vypek

They're really easy if you weaken them and are also good at stealth. Noore's was a breeze.

Yeah, Noore had a really easy fortress. I only go after them when they are weakened in my campaign but I did a few co-op matches today and did Yuma's which wasn't too bad. My brand of stealth is literally camping on high ground outside of the base and snipe (and sometimes send pieces of meat into the camp)

It was weakened a bit, I came prepare but it still was a bit of a hassle with the helicopters and mortars. I also stayed outside on a hill the entire time.

I get the same problems. Mortars are especially upsetting due to the fact that everyone is automatically a ballistics expert and fires mortars in my area lol. And I also don't carry items to take out a helicopter easily.

Where's the fun in that though? I weakened Noore's and it took me five minutes tops to beat it, while Paul's took me over half an hour. I didn't realize how much of a difference it made.

Paul's mission that weakens the fortress took me so long that I was okay with a short fortress, personally. It took me quite some time to finish the mission that lead to the fortress.

Ogimachi

With only 4 fortresses, I thought "ah, fuck it, might as well let all hell break loose", so I went anti-stealth in co-op.
You can actually infiltrate DePleurl's fortress underwater, which is very cool, so I did that and used grenade launchers to bring those choppers down. It was quite fun.

apowhungo

Can you not re-do outpost liberations and get the no detection status (trying to unlock all skills)?

Just did it, the guards found dead bodies but didn't ever see me... it said I wasn't detected but the skill still needs two 'no detection' statuses to unlock. I did this through outpost master though (re-played the outpost).

Top Bottom