• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

After the Butcher mentioned where the potential buyer lived, I realllly feel like Peggy is gonna convince Ed to kill him so they can have the shop to themselves

- The Week: On the remarkable, radical women of Fargo
Among cop dramas, Fargo has always been unique in its focus on female protagonists. The protagonist of the movie, set in 1996, is a woman. The protagonist of the first season, set in 2006, is a woman. The second season, set in 1979, seems to break the trend by pivoting to focus on Lou Solverson (Patrick Wilson), a brilliant and compelling protagonist (and moral pillar) in his own right.

And yet, as Fargo's second season unfolds, it's clear that pretty much all the most interesting characters — and when it comes down to it, the ones with the real power — are women.

The seminar that Peggy is so intent on going to reminds me of the Est Seminar that played a part in The Americans. And right now this is around the same time period, I wonder if that Est movement is where they're pulling inspiration in Fargo.

Lou is probably my favorite character this season, with Mike Milligan following closely behind.

70s was the heyday of the self-help movement. Wether it was Est/Landmark, or some other thing, it was all quite similar.

Bandit1

Last night was a great episode, one of the moments that stood out to me was when the Gerhardts were leaving the meeting, the mother and her two sons in the back of the car and Dodd, the tough guy, lays his head on his mother's shoulder. He pulls her hand to his face and she takes it away, but eventually brings it back. So much emotion in that scene. The anger, sadness, the connection between mother and son. I thought it was a great moment.

Grinchy

Banned
Last night was a great episode, one of the moments that stood out to me was when the Gerhardts were leaving the meeting, the mother and her two sons in the back of the car and Dodd, the tough guy, lays his head on his mother's shoulder. He pulls her hand to his face and she takes it away, but eventually brings it back. So much emotion in that scene. The anger, sadness, the connection between mother and son. I thought it was a great moment.

Yep, and it also showed how right Brad Garrett's character was about her. She can't separate herself from her motherhood. The father brought his little 7ish year old son to a movie theater, knowing the little boy would have to kill someone with a knife. The mother can't even discipline her son, a subordinate, who defies her command.

You think the dad would have let the son get away with defying his orders? Hell no. And that's why she can't be the boss. And it's why the family probably can't win this war.

IronRinn

Yep, and it also showed how right Brad Garrett's character was about her. She can't separate herself from her motherhood. The father brought his little 7ish year old son to a movie theater, knowing the little boy would have to kill someone with a knife. The mother can't even discipline her son, a subordinate, who defies her command.

You think the dad would have let the son get away with defying his orders? Hell no. And that's why she can't be the boss. And it's why the family probably can't win this war.
He wouldn't have had to, though. Dodd was only doing exactly what his father would have done, what he taught his son to do. As Floyd pointed out during the meeting, her husband would have killed Bulo and his men where they stood. Floyd could very easily be boss, it's her sons who cannot adapt.

The family can't win this war because they're completely outmatched in manpower and organization. None of that is on Floyd.

I mean the show even contrasts Otto being strong enough to overcome some two bit competition in a small town movie theater vs his literal and figurative weakness against the Kansas City mob later on who can rent an entire hotel.

Floyd just sees Otto in Dodd. She's smart enough what's lies ahead for all of them, what lies ahead for Dodd. Discipline was never gonna do it. Kansas City was making moves on the family before they ever met an "undisciplined" Dodd.

Floyd probably knows better than anyone Dodd is just trying to be his dad, and it breaks her heart that that's not gonna cut it.

- Minnesota Public Radio podcast: 'Fargo' recap: You have no idea what's coming
Every week on "Aw Jeez: A 'Fargo' podcast," hosts Tracy Mumford and Jay Gabler recap the latest episode, and interview experts about the mayhem, the mob and the Minnesota moments in season two of "Fargo." Listen to the audio for more analysis and speculation on last night's goings on.

This week on "Aw Jeez," we interview Rachel Keller, the St. Paul native who plays wily Gerhardt granddaughter Simone on "Fargo."

Peggy's obsession with her course and "being the best she can be" really reminded me of Frances McDormands' character in Burn After Reading. I hope that was intentional.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I hope Peggy is the first major character to get murdered.

Everything she does is infuriating. You guys remember how everyone hated Skyler in Breaking Bad but the hate was misplaced since she totally had reasons for being piss? Peggy is the personification of the fictional Skyler made up in their minds.

Hatchtag

Banned

Everything she does is infuriating. You guys remember how everyone hated Skyler in Breaking Bad but the hate was misplaced since she totally had reasons for being piss? Peggy is the personification of the fictional Skyler made up in their minds.

Nah, Peggy isn't going to go out soon. She just had her version of that scene, where she realizes she can get away with shit and take control of her own life. She's gonna go fuckin' mad evil and it's going to be great.

My personal guesses for character deaths? Fat Damon's going first, Peggy's gonna get rid of him. Molly's mom might go at some point, but maybe not because they like to surprise people and her surviving would be the most surprising thing. Ted Danson will probably survive, her and Molly's mom dying would be too dark. Mike Milligan better survive till the very end. He's too good. Not too sure on the others though.

Hanzee can't be around for long after this latest episode, right? I really like that character so I'm not ready for him to go so soon, but they're obviously not going to off Ed and Peggy yet so I don't see how else that current conflict will get resolved.

Grinchy

Banned
He wouldn't have had to, though. Dodd was only doing exactly what his father would have done, what he taught his son to do. As Floyd pointed out during the meeting, her husband would have killed Bulo and his men where they stood. Floyd could very easily be boss, it's her sons who cannot adapt.

Yeah, exactly. The father would have started the war immediately because he wouldn't ever negotiate. So they'd be in a war that they started themselves. At least they'd be in that position of knowing they started a war and could plan accordingly.

The mother wanted to do the smart thing. She wanted to take the deal. And look at where they've ended up because of that. They are now in a war where they've already lost some men and they are completely on the defensive. Their chances are worse than they would have been if the bull-headed dad were in charge (though their chances in each scenario are pretty dire).

The mother didn't have control over Dodd and that's why the whole deal went to shit. Even though she was being smart, she's in a family full of dumb goons. She should have been smart enough to see that and get control over her people if she really wanted to be in charge.

The family can't win this war because they're completely outmatched in manpower and organization. None of that is on Floyd.

I mean the show even contrasts Otto being strong enough to overcome some two bit competition in a small town movie theater vs his literal and figurative weakness against the Kansas City mob later on who can rent an entire hotel.

Floyd just sees Otto in Dodd. She's smart enough what's lies ahead for all of them, what lies ahead for Dodd. Discipline was never gonna do it. Kansas City was making moves on the family before they ever met an "undisciplined" Dodd.

Floyd probably knows better than anyone Dodd is just trying to be his dad, and it breaks her heart that that's not gonna cut it.

I completely agree, but we still have different outlooks. The war was inevitable simply based on the fact that the whole organization is a bunch of egotistical brutes. Only the mother is smart enough to know that that deal was the only chance they had. But it was never going to happen.

Clock in the shop was at 7. Hanzee looks at his watch and its 9.

And when he is looking up at the lens flare the image almost looks static.

Dude got probed lol.

This season is really, really, really good. While it's not exactly action packed, it seems to be moving at a quicker pace than season 1. What makes this show good, for me, is that even the bit characters are entertaining, like Sonny in this one. Everyone is just so good. Plus, they've got the look and feel of the 70s pretty much perfect.

kurahador

I love the scene where Peggy and Ed is having sex, and her feet keep tapping on the bed showing that she's bored.
Such little things man.

Stoze

Hanzee can't be around for long after this latest episode, right? I really like that character so I'm not ready for him to go so soon, but they're obviously not going to off Ed and Peggy yet so I don't see how else that current conflict will get resolved.

Yeah the way they set his character up seems like he's going to offed in the next couple eps. Never know though, right now they've done a good job in keeping us guessing on how everything is gonna play out except from what we know from S1. Mentioning that Peggy's seminar is in Sioux Falls is a pretty big hint though, Peggy and maybe Ed (if he is still alive) head up there after killing Hanzee and/or the shop buyer, Gerhardts follow them and in turn Kansas city boys come after them and Solverson, Schmidt, other police, etc. follow up.

Moff

skyler was hated because she opposed and disabled walt, and many liked walt and could not see she was right.

Peggy is completely different, she does not oppose a likeable character. she is just a bit weird and honestly I love her.

Rogan

Banned
I'm waiting for all episodes to be released so I can binge watch this on Netflix.

How is the 2nd season so far?

derFeef

I'm waiting for all episodes to be released so I can binge watch this on Netflix.

How is the 2nd season so far?

Surpassing season 1 easily for me (3 episodes in). Loved season 1 but this is a very different setup and feels original.

IronRinn

skyler was hated because she opposed and disabled walt, and many liked walt and could not see she was right.

Peggy is completely different, she does not oppose a likeable character. she is just a bit weird and honestly I love her.

Peggy Blomquist is just a female Lester Nygaard, though (who, in turn, was another incarnation of Jerry Lundegaard). I have a feeling she's going to turn out to be just as sociopathic, too. As I said, there's always one in Fargo.

Yeah, exactly. The father would have started the war immediately because he wouldn't ever negotiate. So they'd be in a war that they started themselves. At least they'd be in that position of knowing they started a war and could plan accordingly.

The mother wanted to do the smart thing. She wanted to take the deal. And look at where they've ended up because of that. They are now in a war where they've already lost some men and they are completely on the defensive. Their chances are worse than they would have been if the bull-headed dad were in charge (though their chances in each scenario are pretty dire).

The mother didn't have control over Dodd and that's why the whole deal went to shit. Even though she was being smart, she's in a family full of dumb goons. She should have been smart enough to see that and get control over her people if she really wanted to be in charge.
Ah, I see what you're saying. It definitely goes along with one of the themes this season, of women attempting to assert their autonomy, attempting to cash in on the promises of the 60s.

Moff

Peggy Blomquist is just a female Lester Nygaard, though (who, in turn, was another incarnation of Jerry Lundegaard). I have a feeling she's going to turn out to be just as sociopathic, too. As I said, there's always one in Fargo.

I don't know, both Jerry and Lester were losers. that was their main attribute, I don't see that in Peggy.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't know, both Jerry and Lester were losers. that was their main attribute, I don't see that in Peggy.

Peggy is stuck in a rut in life, in a marriage she isn't happy with, taking birth control behind her husband's back, hordes magazines/TP and dreams of being somewhere else, and puts all her hopes in a self help seminar as if it will solve all her problems. She is propping up this fantasy in her head that if she can just do this one thing, everything will change and she'll get a better life and get to live in her magical postcard place, oblivious to reality to such an extent that she will ignore the body on her car and leave it in the garage while she cooks dinner in the hopes the problem will just go away.

I don't think Peggy is a winner.

IronRinn

I think they're all unhappy, cowardly people who feel that they've been kept from getting what they think they deserve by other people. You may not like Ed, but he certainly hasn't done (or hasn't been shown to have done) anything to deserve how he's being treated.

-griffy-

Banned
I think they're sad, unhappy people who feel that they've been kept from getting what they think they deserve by other people. You may not like Ed, but he certainly hasn't done (or hasn't been shown to have done) anything to deserve how he's being treated.

My feelings on Ed are actually pretty complicated now. At first I felt horrible for him, essentially being forced to murder a man in self defense and then coerced in covering it up by his delusional wife. But now it seems his criminal acts have given him a bit too much confidence or something. He's almost a bit cocky and selfish, just deciding for both him and Peggy what they do with the money without realizing he's doing so, and has this renewed drive for getting children and is too happy and ready to start "the first day of the rest of their lives." He went along with things a little too easily and willingly, and got over the hump of covering up a murder a bit too smoothly. By the time Lou confronts them he was 100% complicit with keeping up the charade. He just overall seems a bit too comfortable with the whole thing for me to continue to feel as bad for him, whereas my thoughts on Peggy have gone a bit the opposite direction where I actually understand her head space more now having seen how Ed acts in the entirety of the situation.

This is why the show is so fantastic though. Look at Dodd as well, he is presented as just a shitty bad guy who is hotheaded and abuses his daughter and is obsessed with power and scheming behind his mom's back. Just fuck that guy he's a dick, right? Then you get the one scene that opens this episode, showing him sticking a knife in a guy's head as a kid, essentially forced by his dad (paired with the scene where he puts his head on his mom's shoulder), and it changes the entire perspective on Dodd. He was essentially forced into this life as a kid. He's not just some fucking asshole criminal, he's the result of a tragic life that began before puberty. There was no hope for him from the beginning thanks to his family.

Moff

Peggy is in no way a pushover like Lester, sorry. I don't see the connection. Doesn't mean she needs to be a happy winner (who is?)

and Ed is an asshole, especially since last episode. I think he is a great character, though.

-griffy-

Banned
Peggy is in no way a pushover like Lester, sorry. I don't see the connection. Doesn't mean she needs to be a happy winner (who is?)

and Ed is an asshole, especially since last episode. I think he is a great character, though.

I think if you take Lester and split him into two, you get Peggy and Ed.

IronRinn

My feelings on Ed are actually pretty complicated now. At first I felt horrible for him, essentially being forced to murder a man in self defense and then coerced in covering it up by his delusional wife. But now it seems his criminal acts have given him a bit too much confidence or something. He's almost a bit cocky and selfish, just deciding for both him and Peggy what they do with the money without realizing he's doing so, and has this renewed drive for getting children and is too happy and ready to start "the first day of the rest of their lives." He went along with things a little too easily and willingly, and got over the hump of covering up a murder a bit too smoothly. By the time Lou confronts them he was 100% complicit with keeping up the charade. He just overall seems a bit too comfortable with the whole thing for me to continue to feel as bad for him, whereas my thoughts on Peggy have gone a bit the opposite direction where I actually understand her head space more now having seen how Ed acts in the entirety of the situation.

This is why the show is so fantastic though. Look at Dodd as well, he is presented as just a shitty bad guy who is hotheaded and abuses his daughter and is obsessed with power and scheming behind his mom's back. Just fuck that guy he's a dick, right? Then you get the one scene that opens this episode, showing him sticking a knife in a guy's head as a kid, essentially forced by his dad (paired with the scene where he puts his head on his mom's shoulder), and it changes the entire perspective on Dodd. He was essentially forced into this life as a kid. He's not just some fucking asshole criminal, he's the result of a tragic life that began before puberty. There was no hope for him from the beginning thanks to his family.

I get what you're saying. I think Ed was ready to admit everything and Peggy sort of steamrolled him. They're obviously both delusional in their own way. I don't see Ed being an asshole before his wife decided to drive home with a body on her car. I think it's easy to blame him for deciding what to do with the money when there has been a minimum of communication from his wife. That's certainly not to say he is blameless by any stretch.

Edit: I completely agree with you, though. The show is doing excellent work with the various shades of gray in the characters.

I think, like Lester, she has been a pushover, up until we meet her that is.

IronRinn

HIT HIM AGAIN!

Gimme a chocolate, please.

That accent when he asks for chocolate cracks me up.

Yeah, they kept showing that scene in all the previews and I was dying to see it on the show. It didn't disappoint.

Kiss the man, son!

I loved the double-take at his nephew's request for an old fashioned as well. And, yeah, even having seen parts of it a bunch it was still excellent. I almost thought they were going to do what they did last season with it, where some stuff from the previews never wound up in the show.

Salsa

starting ep 3

fuckin Yamasuki Singers right out the gate

this is seriously the best thing on TV since I dont know when. I loved Breaking Bad and Mad Men and all but this (having already a strong start to Season 2 and knowing im gonna love it) is really something special. Im still dumbfounded after every episode how they pulled it off and expanded succesfully on what the Coens did. I just love this world.

I think Ed was just about to confess before Peggy put her foot down. But he was reluctant for sure. He'd definitely lose the shop if it came out that he used the grinder to get rid of a body lol. Speaking of which, that's totally going to screw him over after the owner mentioned it was making a funny sound.

Anyone really starting to take notice how awful and backwoods these cops are? First the wife finds the gun in the snow and now Hanze finds the car light glass in the snow.

Heck of a crime scene canvas these cops did lol!

I like how whenever a serious decision needs to be made, or a realization actually hits home for Ed, he just... blanks out. Goes into a fugue state. There's that interview he did earlier where he describes the character as cow-like, and those moments are exactly where it comes to the front.

edit: Hell, considering the parallels they're kinda drawing between Hanzee and Chigurh, I wouldn't be surprised if Ed actually gets taken out LIKE cattle.

ultron87

Caught up on the last two episodes. What a show. The show does this "this could erupt into violence at any moment" thing so well. So many scenes are just full of tension because of that. Like, it doesn't make plot sense (and would cause a time paradox) for Lou to get gunned down by the brothers at the type writer store but this show makes it feel like it could absolutely happen.

IronRinn

Anyone really starting to take notice how awful and backwoods these cops are? First the wife finds the gun in the snow and now Hanze finds the car light glass in the snow.

Heck of a crime scene canvas these cops did lol!

I think both Lou and Hank have the misfortune of being career police with the inherent biases that come with the job. As Hank points out, what kind of person would drive home with a body hanging off their car? To him it seems unlikely. To Betsy, it works simply as a solution. She doesn't care about likelihood. I mean, Hanzee and Lou basically figure out what happened to Rye around the same time though Lou had quite the headstart. I think people have to keep in mind that a lot of this is obvious to us because we are armed with info the characters don't have.

That said, Betsy is almost a savant. Molly got her courage from her dad, but her detective skills owe a greater debt to her mother.

Top Bottom