• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

Redd

So far season 2 is wayyyy better than season 1. Only character I don't care for is Kirsten Dunst. Felt bad for fat Damon. He seemed like he was going to come clean at the end.

Caught up on the last two episodes. What a show. The show does this "this could erupt into violence at any moment" thing so well. So many scenes are just full of tension because of that. Like, it doesn't make plot sense (and would cause a time paradox) for Lou to get gunned down by the brothers at the type writer store but this show makes it feel like it could absolutely happen.

Nope, Lou is going to get shot down at the end. Peggy, Lou's wife and father in law all die in the violence and then Ed steals Lou's identity and flees to Bemidji where he raises Molly as the child he always wanted.

ultron87

I wouldn't it past the show to pull something like that. Or just kill Lou off anyway and be like "well it's a different story" or "the names were changed, it says that right at the start".

Also, did you guys take notice to betsy's dad fiddling with rope knots? he did the same when he sat out on the porch in season 1

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Only watched the first two eps of the new season, but one thing that struck me immediately is that visually this is like leagues beyond the first season. The shots, especially the ones in the opening minutes, are so damn impressive. There are moments where I'm just taken aback by how great everything looks. And the sync with the soundtrack makes it perfect.

- MZS for NY Mag: Why More Actors Should Be Cast Against Type (in praise of Bokeem Woodbine)
If you see Woodbine's name in the credits of a film or TV show, you don't necessarily think, I bet he's playing a funny chatterbox autodidact whose very presence makes the audience grin. But that's not Woodbine's fault — it's the industry's. Woodbine, like a lot of actors, battles typecasting. (According to Danielle Henderson's interview with Woodbine, the role was originally written for "a 50-year-old, potbellied Italian cat," but his agent urged him to audition for it anyway.) At a recent Paley Center panel discussion about the new season of Fargo, he told me that when he was offered Mike, he spent several days staring at the title on the cover of the first episode's script. He was a fan of the original Fargo film and was stunned that anyone would think of him for a role like that, given his long history of playing characters who are less eloquent and more volatile — brutes sometimes.

It happens all the time, typecasting. No actor wants it, but it's a fact of life in show business. And who knows how many great, surprising performances we've been deprived of as a result of it?

Maybe 20 years ago, I asked an experienced character actor how typecasting happens, and he said it was because casting directors didn't want casting failures to seem like their fault. If they cast somebody who'd never played a cop and it turned out to be a bad choice for whatever reason, they might be blamed, but if they cast somebody who'd played eight cops and it didn't work out this time, they could shrug and say, "I don't know why he didn't work out — he's played eight cops."

But when you don’t take the safe route, you might end up with a performance like Woodbine's. Or, for that matter, Danson's performance as Hank, a reassuringly kind, wise, and gentle man who has nary a trace of the weirdness or volatility or sexuality that Danson has brought to roles stretching from Cheers and Cousins through Damages and Bored to Death. Or Jean Smart's chilling performance as Floyd Gerhardt, the matriarch of the Gerhardt crime family, who takes over for her stroke-addled husband and brooks no nonsense from her blustering, macho sons; Smart has played dramatic roles before, including serial killer Aileen Wuornos in a 1992 TV movie, and First Lady Martha Logan on 24, but she's more often typecast as tart-tongued sitcom oddballs, as on Designing Women, Frasier, and Samantha Who? On Fargo, she's playing the sort of role that Margo Martindale got typecast in after her breakout performance on Justified, which, ironically, we never would have seen if that series hadn't decided to take a chance on Martindale instead of handing the part to somebody better known.
Much more via the link.

Linked in that article:
- Bokeem Woodbine's Unexpected, Surreal Journey to 'Fargo'
Mike Milligan is distinct among Fargo's ensemble, but also in the landscape of your career.

When I first heard about the role and I got the e-mail saying I had to audition for it, I thought it was a mistake. I called my agent and said, "Hey, this is an audition for a 50-year-old, potbellied Italian cat. [Laughs] And their answer is generally, “Well, that’s what they have written, but just go in there and show what you can do and maybe you can change their mind.” Rarely does it happen, but I’ve been able to sway people. Fargo is such a specific thing and has such a specific resonance that I really didn’t see myself in that world, and the material that I got was so limited, so it really struck me as odd to say the least. But at the same time, being a Fargo-phile and having so much respect and reverence for the film -- and things that it represents as far as pushing the envelope -- I was definitely compelled to try.

So I dialed in, and 48 hours later I was in the room with Noah [Hawley, the series creator], and I read for it. I actually kind of flubbed the line; I put one word in a different space, and I kind of rearranged the line. So I figured it’s not happening. And then 48 hours after that, I got the call saying that I had the gig, and it was just crazy. Getting to play Mike Milligan was unexpected. This whole thing has just been a fantastic experience, and at the same time, so strange -- almost like an episode of Fargo in real life.

Salsa

im loving this opposite true detective situation

season 2 really did up the game, and that was a hard task

Saty

I think both Lou and Hank have the misfortune of being career police with the inherent biases that come with the job. As Hank points out, what kind of person would drive home with a body hanging off their car? To him it seems unlikely. To Betsy, it works simply as a solution. She doesn't care about likelihood. I mean, Hanzee and Lou basically figure out what happened to Rye around the same time though Lou had quite the headstart. I think people have to keep in mind that a lot of this is obvious to us because we are armed with info the characters don't have.

That said, Betsy is almost a savant. Molly got her courage from her dad, but her detective skills owe a greater debt to her mother.

Nah. Evidence were all pointing that way. It's just the show's tendency to insult the intelligence of cops and viewers. I guess they wanted too hard to have the cops and the bad guys zone in on Ed and Peggy at the same time.

IronRinn

Nah. Evidence were all pointing that way. It's just the show's tendency to insult the intelligence of cops and viewers. I guess they wanted too hard to have the cops and the bad guys zone in on Ed and Peggy at the same time.
We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

Grinchy

Banned
I still think it's strange as hell that the crime scene has been blocked off for days, and not a single other cop exists in the area who went to check it out. It's just Becker and Nighthawk running the show, and they only look for evidence one time at night with small flashlights.

I still think it's strange as hell that the crime scene has been blocked off for days, and not a single other cop exists in the area who went to check it out. It's just Becker and Nighthawk running the show, and they only look for evidence one time at night with small flashlights.

Do we know how much time has passed?

Saty

We'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.
There's nothing to base your disagreement on. Sudden skid marks on the road, shards of glass all around, an unaccounted for person's boot found on a tree - plain and simple evidence that should make any cop entertain the idea of a hit-and-run and work to confirm or refute the theory. Betsy's father did nothing one way or another even after what she said at the saloon.

Your sole argument is to discredit this investigative line because the cop would go 'who would drive with the body in a hit-and-run?'. The cop's job is to follow wherever the evidence lead him; not to rule out leads pointed out by evidence over personal assumptions. We've seen how easy (and convenient) it was to have Lou reach the same conclusion in mere seconds after he examined Peg's car.

For all i care, they should just have had that UFO come down and tractor beam Rye away..
Though now it seems things are going to follow Peggy to Sioux Falls where the aforementioned massacre will happen. Could still have worked: regular hit-and-run, UFO picks up Rye, Hanzee still targeting Peggy and Ed because of the car and thinking they are hiding something and were responsible for Rye's disappearance.

Anyhow, i'm not clearer about the Peggy characterization and her decision now. If i am to follow official interviews and speculation then Peggy has a mental sickness? She harbors psychopathic tendencies? She's this season's psychopath? She wanted to go home first to decide if to go to the police or the hospital (but then 'let it slide'?). This whole side of the season is just blah to me. Certainly wouldn't mind seeing her on the casualties.

IronRinn

There's nothing to base your disagreement on. Sudden skid marks on the road, shards of glass all around, an unaccounted for person's boot found on a tree - plain and simple evidence that should make any cop entertain the idea of a hit-and-run and work to confirm or refute the theory. Betsy's father did nothing one way or another even after what she said at the saloon.

Your sole argument is to discredit this investigative line because the cop would go 'who would drive with the body in a hit-and-run?'. The cop's job is to follow wherever the evidence lead him; not to rule out leads pointed out by evidence over personal assumptions. We've seen how easy (and convenient) it was to have Lou reach the same conclusion in mere seconds after he examined Peg's car.

For all i care, they should just have had that UFO come down and tractor beam Rye away..
Though now it seems things are going to follow Peggy to Sioux Falls where the aforementioned massacre will happen. Could still have worked: regular hit-and-run, UFO picks up Rye, Hanzee still targeting Peggy and Ed because of the car and thinking they are hiding something and were responsible for Rye's disappearance.

Anyhow, i'm not clearer about the Peggy characterization and her decision now. If i am to follow official interviews and speculation then Peggy has a mental sickness? She harbors psychopathic tendencies? She's this season's psychopath? She wanted to go home first to decide if to go to the police or the hospital (but then 'let it slide'?). This whole side of the season is just blah to me. Certainly wouldn't mind seeing her on the casualties.
It's not an argument, I just don't agree.

Edit: Or maybe a better way to put it is my explanation works well enough for me to take what strikes me as a very minor leap of logic.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
skyler was hated because she opposed and disabled walt, and many liked walt and could not see she was right.

Peggy is completely different, she does not oppose a likeable character. she is just a bit weird and honestly I love her.

She murdered a guy and got her husband to chop up his body, she used their money to go to some dumb seminar instead of buying a store and she's taking birth control when her husband thinks they're trying to get pregnant.

She's not just a bit "weird", she's completely insane like Walter. At least it took a few seasons for Walter to become a sociopath, she's been one since episode 1.

Moff

She murdered a guy and got her husband to chop up his body, she used their money to go to some dumb seminar instead of buying a store and she's taking birth control when her husband thinks they're trying to get pregnant.

She's not just a bit "weird", she's completely insane like Walter. At least it took a few seasons for Walter to become a sociopath, she's been one since episode 1.

I just said she was no skylar. but I don't think she is a Walter either. but yeah, she is kinda insane, I agree on that.
but the money was hers if I understood the conversation with her boss correctly. the way I understood he wanted to take her money for the shop, or he expects her to give it to him.

Werd

I just said she was no skylar. but I don't think she is a Walter either. but yeah, she is kinda insane, I agree on that.
but the money was hers if I understood the conversation with her boss correctly. the way I understood he wanted to take her money for the shop, or he expects her to give it to him.

The boss was just saying she earns a paycheck so she can spend money without permission, but every indication we have is that its their joint account and most of the savings they have as a couple. Something you obviously need to agree on to spend.

Alpende

So far season 2 is wayyyy better than season 1. Only character I don't care for is Kirsten Dunst. Felt bad for fat Damon. He seemed like he was going to come clean at the end.

Yeah, he opened his mouth and Peggy interrupted him.

Shit's going down in the coming episodes. The Native-American guy is on their trail, should be good.

Watched two episodes. Liking it so far.

Kirsten Dunst could do an ABBA musical right after the Fargo shoot.

She gained some real weight for Fargo and it looks much better than prostetic/ fake fat like Betty Draper in Madmen. She looks good with a couple of extra pounds imo.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

She gained some real weight for Fargo and it looks much better than prostetic/ fake fat like Betty Draper in Madmen. She looks good with a couple of extra pounds imo.

I'm most impressed with Jesse Plemons' weight gain.

J6YP18a.jpg

Ay0tLbZ.jpg

(best picture I could find of him fast)

I audibly said "damn" in that scene where he took off his clothes and burned them. It's going to take him a while to get back into shape.

Grinchy

Banned

yeah she's cute as hell in this show

And the natural gifts she was born with have been put in even larger boxes. I'd unwrap those all day.

- Onion A|V Club's Polite Fight: What's the bigger Fargo mystery, time-shifting UFOs or inscrutable Peggy?
In today’s installment of our analytical sparring program, Polite Fight, video producer Gus Spelman and editor-in-chief John Teti look at Hahnzee’s Waffle Hut snooping session from this week’s episode of Fargo, “Fear And Trembling.” As Ian McShane’s ‘Stache noted in a comment on Zack Handlen’s episode review, time jumps ahead two hours during this scene’s UFO encounter, and John has some other insights into the way time slips around leading up to that moment. John also brings a new theory about the function and meaning of the show’s split screens into the mix, while Gus continues to argue that the stylistic shots give us glimpses into the characters’ thought processes.

Gus and John can’t find common ground on one of this season’s other great mysteries—Peggy’s motives, or lack thereof. Gus believes she’s driven by a secret the show has yet to reveal, but John sticks to his interpretation of Peggy as a character who feels compelled to resist anyone else trying to lay down a narrative for her. A close look at Kirsten Dunst’s multi-layered performance fails to provide definitive evidence either way, and so our hosts agree to wait and see. The show wraps up with a final shout-out to CaliCheeseSucks, for pointing out the difference between Mike Milligan and last season’s Lorne Malvo when it comes to their digital stimulation preferences.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Caught up with the fourth ep... Best one yet. So many great moments in one episode, this is shaping up to be a classic season of tv. I'm loving every minute of it. Lou's 'you're already dead' speech was incredible. Favorite quote is still Mike's from ep 3: "It’s the way you’re unfriendly. You’re so polite about it. Like you’re doing me a favor."

Grinchy

Banned
This is the best show on TV right now. It's not even a competition. Waiting a week between episodes is getting so hard

This episode was ASS ASS ASS :p

The show is on a roll and I think we've hit the point now that everything is set and shit is about to hit the fan.

I love that Lou has an eagle eye and has zeroed on Peggy and Ed. He gave it to them straight in a really well-done scene. Then of course Peggy stupidly doesn't take his offer and is suck a blockhead that they're just digging their own grave.

Hansee is cool too, isn't he?

This is the best show on TV right now. It's not even a competition. Waiting a week between episodes is getting so hard

Seriously, in my mind it wouldn't be a stretch to say that this season is slowly forming to be the best season of TV in the last couple of years (yeah I'm looking at you Breaking Bad). Nothing's hooked me this bad in forever it seems.

You just get the sense that you are watching something magical unfold with how Noah Hawley and company are running this show. This season is going to be looked back as truly special.

Speevy

Banned
I just wish they'd stop splitting the fucking screen in half. I don't need to see the Indian dude's face and the back of his head at the same time. I get it. He's looking at something.

JDSN

Banned
Im really liking this season so much, the first one took a restrained approach even with its little cast, this one has a bigger number of pieces and I could watch three season of these characters. Im loving the theme of a generation being defined by what they experienced on war.

I just wish they'd stop splitting the fucking screen in half. I don't need to see the Indian dude's face and the back of his head at the same time. I get it. He's looking at something.

I liked how the left screen was delayed by two or three seconds.

Perspective m8. Close up on the item and his reaction, and saves time by doing so instead of showing another scene. Plus its 70s as fuck

Grinchy

Banned
One learns something new everyday.

It's weird too because I assume the logic goes something like, "Everyone has a butt, so it's not damaging to a child's brain to see one on TV." But everyone also has nipples. And that's not even commenting on the fact that no one is damaged by seeing boobs.

pa22word

I haven't been able to catch any of this season, but how's Jeff Donovan been? He's kind of an underrated actor imo and he seems to have a big role in this, so I was just curious.

I haven't been able to catch any of this season, but how's Jeff Donovan been? He's kind of an underrated actor imo and he seems to have a big role in this, so I was just curious.

He's doing an amazing job, and seems to be loving every minute of it. kinda makes me wanna watch Burn Notice

painey

I watch this in Minneapolis with my friend who is from Sioux Falls, SD. I am SO ready for it to show SF.. all this Luverne and Fargo stuff is giving me blue balls

New episode tonight:
The Gift of the Magi

Floyd takes action and Charlie tries to prove himself; Peggy and Ed disagree about what to do next; Lou finds himself sidelined during Ronald Reagan's campaign tour.
This episode will run 21 minutes past the hour.

Top Bottom