• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

IronRinn

Peggy sold the car for Ed to buy the shop. Ed burned the shop down. It's like that story of the woman, the man, the comb, and the watch chain.

Edit: Which the AV Club reminds me is an O. Henry story. Which, duh, is "The Gift of the Magi" which is also the title of this episode. I'm a little slow.

Hatchtag

Banned
I wonder if this season will be like last, where every main character made it to the last episode. I wouldn't be surprised if Meth Damon Ted Donovan got offed before then.

Also, really felt like the girl at the butcher shop might've been written for Aubrey Plaza.

Sadsic

im curious who is going to be running kansas city now that brad garrett is dead. we saw some shadowy figures in the premiere, maybe we get to know them soon?

ezekial45

Banned
I can't believe there are still 5 more episodes. This feels like the stuff that happens towards the end of the season, but we're only halfway.

- THR: Bruce Campbell on the "Terror" of Playing Ronald Reagan, Shared B-Movie Background
I love the scene with Reagan and Lou at the urinal, because that scene seems to capture both Reagan's believable empathy, but also how superficial and empty he could come across. How did you approach that scene?

(Laughs.) He doesn't have an answer! He doesn't have all the answers. We can say that we have all the answers. We can get up there and give speeches and tell people, "You know if you want a great country again, here's what we have to do," but it doesn't stop people from getting cancer. It doesn't stop their lives from being discarded. Speeches aren't going to stop anything. So yes, the theory is great. "Let's pick ourselves up by our bootstraps" and he honestly believes that as an American you can overcome anything, even your wife who's dying. He couldn't abandon his approach, but it does show a little bit of the fallibility of it, that it is a pie in the sky theory. Instead of being the president goes, "I feel your pain, all you poor people, we're going to help you right now," that was not the approach. If you were poor, that was your fault. Americans can do anything. Why are you poor? "You just have to work a little harder." He's still stuck with the attitude at the time, "Well, if you just roll up your sleeves and sweat a bit..."

- THR: 'Fargo' Boss Noah Hawley: Bruce Campbell's Ronald Reagan Is Pivotal to the Show

Bonus gif:

zDA7eOV.gif

Is this likely to take another weird and darker turn? I mean yeah, it's been violent, but pretty typical gang warfare. So far last season's old Lou has kind of oversold it.

Dalek

It's insane how this show is just playing on another level compared to anything else on tv. The story alone would earn it an A+ but the way the show looks and how the camera tells a story is just impressive. The way that they showed Ed dreaming of the killing in the garage was brilliant.

Hatchtag

Banned
Is this likely to take another weird and darker turn? I mean yeah, it's been violent, but pretty typical gang warfare. So far last season's old Lou has kind of oversold it.

Mom/son turning on each other and husband/wife turning on each other is fairly dark, and that seems like something that will happen.

This was the greatest episode of the series (this season or last) and honestly might be one of the best singular episodes in TV history.

Jesus. This show. It really is my most looked forward to out of any show on television right now. The pacing, cinematography, and writing is as close to an actual film as any show I've ever watched and that includes some of the greatest shows of all time. They really are taking this whole thing to another level.

Anybody have a link to the preview I can't find it anywhere and I missed it

I hope Ed and Peggy somehow scrape through. They're genuinely decent people that keep horribly fucking up, but there isn't any malicious or banal evil here like with Lester.

I hope Dodd dies a horrible lengthy death.

And Bear is going to berserking when he finds out about Charlie.

I hope Ed and Peggy somehow scrape through. They're genuinely decent people that keep horribly fucking up, but there isn't any malicious or banal evil here like with Lester.

I hope Dodd dies a horrible lengthy death.

And Bear is going to berserking when he finds out about Charlie.

I'm undecided on Ed and Peggy still. Sure they seem more misguided than evil but I'm not sure it would be Fargo without some "good" people getting it in the end.

Dodd is a fucking piece of shit who will def get his comeuppance

When Bear finds out it will be glorious...or super sad cause we now know unequivocally who's side the Indian is on and he's not to be trifled with. Either way is win win for us lol

When Bear finds out it will be glorious...or super sad cause we now know unequivocally who's side the Indian is on and he's not to be trifled with. Either way is win win for us lol

Do we even know why he's so loyal to Dodd? Or how he came into the Gerhardt's employ? Bear briefly mentions it, but nothing specific.

Maybe Hanzee is playing the long con. Getting revenge on the Gerhardt's for something they did. And the best way to tear down the Gerhardt empire is by teaming up with Dodd and getting them into a war.

Do we even know why he's so loyal to Dodd? Or how he came into the Gerhardt's employ? Bear briefly mentions it, but nothing specific.

Maybe Hanzee is playing the long con. Getting revenge on the Gerhardt's for something they did. And the best way to tear down the Gerhardt empire is by teaming up with Dodd and getting them into a war.

As to why he's in their employ I imagine it's simply because he's lived with them since he was 9 years old like Bear said but I don't really know why he's so loyal to Dodd. He seems smarter than that so perhaps there is more to it than at first meets the eye but I'm leaning more towards something like Dodd saving his life or something like that. He just doesn't strike me as the type of character to tear them down from the inside but I could be wrong

Well bugger me. I didn't realise Bear Gerhardt

tumblr_nwuy4oDPX41smql53o1_1280.gif

Is the Organic Mechanic

FRD-43381r.jpg

Probably old news but this has been something that I couldn't quite put my finger on it for half the season.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not sure Hanzee has some greater scheme, but I also suspect that he wouldn't see his actions as being out of loyalty but more of a personal philosophy that intersects with the family's needs.

Linius

Was really surprised to see that Kitchen brother alive later in the episode. For some reason I thought he sliced both of them. Went back after finishing the episode, now I'm just wondering why Hanzee didn't kill the other Kitchen brother.

Oh well, other than that a truly sensational episode. Intense action everywhere.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Didn't Hanzee ask that carshop guy if he missed the war? Maybe he does it because it's the only thing he has ever known and the only thing he's good at.

IronRinn

Well bugger me. I didn't realise Bear Gerhardt

tumblr_nwuy4oDPX41smql53o1_1280.gif

Is the Organic Mechanic

FRD-43381r.jpg

Probably old news but this has been something that I couldn't quite put my finger on it for half the season.

Oh hey, look at that. I didn't even notice (and I've watched Mad Max going on five times now!) I just recently realized he was from the 2 Insidious movies when I caught parts of them on Halloween.

Edit: Pretty good streak going on the AV Club. A, A, A-, A, A.

Stoze

It definitely will. It's hard to believe, but we're only halfway through the season. The "event" Lou talked about last season hasn't happened yet, it takes place in Sioux Falls. As far as weird goes I imagine that will culminate with some kind of UFO/alien encounter that's been alluded to every episode.

-griffy-

Banned
The UFO stuff has something to do with death in the show, it seems. Rye saw it after slaughtering the diner and before getting hit by the car. There were brief subtle lens flares on the periphery when Lou and Hank were at the diner signifying it was hanging around. Hanzee sees it when he's investigating Rye. Betsy sees it in the drawing when she's getting sick (I'm not sure it's the nausea from the medication causing her drowsiness).

It was also implied that we were the UFO almost for a moment, as one episode ended in that weird narration about watcher in the sky, and it was kind of a first person perspective as the camera craned up away from the butcher shop into the sky, and you could catch glimpses of light/lens flare in the reflections as the camera moved up. This was when Ed was grinding the body after Lou almost saw the finger, so it's tied again to Rye but also likely foreshadowing for Ed as he's already killed again and more death is sure to surround him soon.

Stoze

The UFO stuff has something to do with death in the show, it seems. Rye saw it after slaughtering the diner and before getting hit by the car. There were brief subtle lens flares on the periphery when Lou and Hank were at the diner signifying it was hanging around. Hanzee sees it when he's investigating Rye. Betsy sees it in the drawing when she's getting sick (I'm not sure it's the nausea from the medication causing her drowsiness).

It was also implied that we were the UFO almost for a moment, as one episode ended in that weird narration about watcher in the sky, and it was kind of a first person perspective as the camera craned up away from the butcher shop into the sky, and you could catch glimpses of light/lens flare in the reflections as the camera moved up. This was when Ed was grinding the body after Lou almost saw the finger, so it's tied again to Rye but also likely foreshadowing for Ed as he's already killed again and more death is sure to surround him soon.

Eh that seems like kind of a stretch, even if we're speaking allegorically. Those 3 UFO/lens flare scenes had the Diner location in common, it wasn't necessarily following or signifying death. I agree about us possibly taking the PoV of the UFO for the end of that episode, but I think that was more of a presentational nudge nudge wink wink than strict meaning or metaphors. I don't think the UFO stuff has anything more to do with death than anything else. Death is a very broad theme for a show that has people getting brutally killed every episode, you could argue that anything relates or has something to do with it.

Was really surprised to see that Kitchen brother alive later in the episode. For some reason I thought he sliced both of them. Went back after finishing the episode, now I'm just wondering why Hanzee didn't kill the other Kitchen brother.

Yeah, that's the only thing I didn't really get. Seems like he could've killed them both.

Top Bottom