• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

That was fantastic. The slaughter that saved the deer (were there deer in a promo for this season?) was unexpected. It was an absolute ambushing. Kansas City had no clue. Luckily Mike left before the hunt began.

Reagan having memory issues was a nice touch.

And boy of boy are there many tense scenes in here. The first set of them didn't even have violence as an outcome until the very end. That's damn good plotting.

Crazy good stuff this season.

Alpende

This show is so good. The shootout in the woods was great but I don't get why Hatzee wouldn't just kill that other brother as well? Probably to deliver the severed head I'm guessing.

Ed was fantastic in the burning shop scene as well. He has become The Butcher of Luverne.

T Dollarz

So these last two episodes have been straight up amazing. I wasn't ready to call this season better than the first until now. Everything just seems so calculated and dialed in, show is clicking on all cylinders, nailing every single little detail. Was not ready for it to be this good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
In an episode with two major events happening (the hunt and the butcher shop burning down), I still think Lou's talk with Reagan as the best scene of the ep. His pat on the shoulder and smile are the perfect contrast to the empty monologue you hear throughout the episode. Like the article says, just a hollow sales pitch.

The streak of incredible episodes continues. Like others have mentioned, this felt like one of the final eps, yet we're only halfway. I hope Hawley can keep up this quality, because this already feels like a classic tv season.

In an episode with two major events happening (the hunt and the butcher shop burning down), I still think Lou's talk with Reagan as the best scene of the ep. His pat on the shoulder and smile are the perfect contrast to the empty monologue you hear throughout the episode. Like the article says, just a hollow sales pitch.

Agreed, at first I thought the part where Reagan gives his speech fell flat, but after the exchange with Lou I realized that that was exactly what they intended: for the audience to go "boy he's sure saying a bunch of nothing".

IronRinn

Agreed, at first I thought the part where Reagan gives his speech fell flat, but after the exchange with Lou I realized that that was exactly what they intended: for the audience to go "boy he's sure saying a bunch of nothing".

And he's so charismatic that he winds up being the one Lou opens up to the most (so far) regarding his wife's illness. That scene goes from comic to tragic so quickly.

I like that Campbell's performance was fairly reserved, when I heard Reagan was appearing in an episode being played by Bruce Campbell I was concerned they were going to go for a totally over-the-top caricature.

Speevy

Banned
If Dodd really understands that Ed is just some moron who is somehow responsible for his brother's death, why is he prioritizing his death over protecting his family?

Does he not know that these Kansas city people have more goons?

Also, why the hell did the Indian not kill both Kitchen brothers? That seems like a pretty tremendous oversight.

If Dodd really understands that Ed is just some moron who is somehow responsible for his brother's death, why is he prioritizing his death over protecting his family?

Does he not know that these Kansas city people have more goons?

Also, why the hell did the Indian not kill both Kitchen brothers? That seems like a pretty tremendous oversight.

It's still some guy that killed his brother and covered it up, but he's not prioritizing it at all, in fact he delegated killing Ed to some other guy. Only reason he told Floyd the story about the butcher was to further solidify his desire to wage war on KC. Kitchen brother was presumably left alive to deliver Joe's head.

Turin

Banned
Hanzee Dent is kind of like a Native American Anton Chigur. Not sure he's quite as soulless as Anton though.

I'm hoping there's more to him and his story.

iuuk

Hanzee Dent is kind of like a Native American Anton Chigur. Not sure he's quite as soulless as Anton though.

There must be more to it, but I'm hoping they won't show (much of) it. With all the parallels being drawn between this season and the first Hanzee has some of Malvo's most interesting traits. You know there's a lot more to him and that he's not to be messed with, but you never see exactly who he is and where his allegiance lies (or why it seemingly lies with Dodd right now). It's what makes him a very interesting character, and I hope (think) he'll be playing a key role.

1379589650041292975.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There must be more to it, but I'm hoping they won't show (much of) it. With all the parallels being drawn between this season and the first Hanzee has some of Malvo's most interesting traits. You know there's a lot more to him and that he's not to be messed with, but you never see exactly who he is and where his allegiance lies (or why it seemingly lies with Dodd right now). It's what makes him a very interesting character, and I hope (think) he'll be playing a key role.
I'm just hoping he survives the next episode. Mike is definitely laying the massacre at Hanzee feet, and he obviously will want to take him out.

I wonder if its him who comes for lou abd his family

JDSN

Banned
Man, the Blomquists are awesome, if Lester was a weasel those two a just pure chaos. Campbell was great as Reagan, I liked how he modulated his voice.

Walpurgis

Banned
The only two characters that I am rooting for are Lou and Floyd. I don't even like Ed and Peggy, tbh. Peggy kind of redeemed herself in this episode for me though when she tried to fix her mess. Too bad it was for nothing.
The streak of incredible episodes continues. Like others have mentioned, this felt like one of the final eps, yet we're only halfway. I hope Hawley can keep up this quality, because this already feels like a classic tv season.
It really does. Every episode has moved the plot forward a lot and I don't feel like there is any meandering. This is a very stark contrast to The Walking Dead, which I watched the night prior. Hell, even season 1 of Fargo (which I adored) felt like it was kind of slow in the middle with Malvo working on that family for no compelling reason and Lester covering up his crime. This season is war.

Hanzee is so damn cool. Going by what Bear said, I imagine that he was taken from his parents and given to a white family for assimilation. The Gerhardts don't seem too bad so I don't think he was molested or anything (unless he was passed around from family to family until they got him). I wonder if he attended residential schools. We already know about the shit he got in Vietnam. Stuff like that is why he's so hard.
This is seriously just the best show. The bar was set super high in season 1 and I think this one will end up surpassing it
At this point, it has passed season 1 for me. Just think about where season 1 was on episode 5. It's not even contest for me. In fact, Fargo TV > Fargo movie.
Is season three still a question mark?

How far into season one did they announce that two was green-lit?
Impossible. There is so much more that they can do. Even if we don't get another season immediately (which I really doubt), we are 100% guaranteed to get one eventually (like a revival) and the anthology format makes that even easier.

Walpurgis

Banned
I've been wondering something, how did Hanzee find Peggy's car? He found the glass from the car's light at the crime scene and drove straight to her car. I didn't get that part. Just a coincidence?

-griffy-

Banned
I've been wondering something, how did Hanzee find Peggy's car? He found the glass from the car's light at the crime scene and drove straight to her car. I didn't get that part. Just a coincidence?

He just happened to be driving by the auto body shop and saw the back of the car sticking out of the garage from the street. I recall he slammed on the brakes and put it into reverse when he spotted it too? He may have been deliberately driving around town looking for repair shops.

Walpurgis

Banned
He just happened to be driving by the auto body shop and saw the back of the car sticking out of the garage from the street. I recall he slammed on the brakes and put it into reverse when he spotted it too? He may have been deliberately driving around town looking for repair shops.
Yeah, I rewinded and saw that. I just didn't get how he went straight to it. I have no doubt that he'd find it eventually though. It was weird how he homed in on it.
Small town-ish, not many mechanics.
I guess that makes sense.

Saty

There's just nothing outstanding in story, plot or characters in this show. It's pretty by the books for this framework of a snowball going downhill and getting bigger. The mistaken identities, the confusion, the happenstance etc that feeds itself and reeking havoc. Not as much characters as just cues to stand on their mark. All peppered with people making stupid decisions.

Peggy is just awful. I get the gesture, but you don't sell the car on your own w\o saying anything to Edd and for half the price. Just stop. Go away. I see no point to try and 'get' her. She's just there to enable the shenanigans.

Scene with Milligan and Simone was too on the nose, digesting it far too much to the audience. We didn't need them to spell it out to know that Milligan kept her close to act as a 'spy'. Not giving the viewers credit. Now, from Simone's side, i don't follow her. Sure, she hates her dad and it's established he's an awful person. Is that enough for her to betray her whole family knowing she would sign their death with this co-operation?

I also must question Dodd's decision not to have anyone sent to look out for her knowing every Herhart is now a target. He was snoopy about what's she's doing with herself before the 'war' started and now it's no-brainer to send an armed man to follow her to make sure she's protected.
Dodd makes another stupid decision sending his cripple nephew into the fray. You knew he would screw up. The cripple nephew was written for exactly that purpose, that what i mean with characters being cues and marks. You send him out, he fucks up and this snowball continues to roll and amass. To be fair to Dodd, he said he wanted the nephew to pull the trigger. I'm sure he imagined the hitman doing all the work and just handing him the gun to finish Ed off, 'cause that's how i interpreted his request as well. But of course, the nephew was given the lead (twice!) so he could fuck up twice and let the ride continue.

Speevy

Banned
There's just nothing outstanding in story, plot or characters in this show. It's pretty by the books for this framework of a snowball going downhill and getting bigger. The mistaken identities, the confusion, the happenstance etc that feeds itself and reeking havoc. Not as much characters as just cues to stand on their mark. All peppered with people making stupid decisions.

Peggy is just awful. I get the gesture, but you don't sell the car on your own w\o saying anything to Edd and for half the price. Just stop. Go away. I see no point to try and 'get' her. She's just there to enable the shenanigans.

Scene with Milligan and Simone was too on the nose, digesting it far too much to the audience. We didn't need them to spell it out to know that Milligan kept her close to act as a 'spy'. Not giving the viewers credit. Now, from Simone's side, i don't follow her. Sure, she hates her dad and it's established he's an awful person. Is that enough for her to betray her whole family knowing she would sign their death with this co-operation?

I also must question Dodd's decision not to have anyone sent to look out for her knowing every Herhart is now a target. He was snoopy about what's she's doing with herself before the 'war' started and now it's no-brainer to send an armed man to follow her to make sure she's protected.
Dodd makes another stupid decision sending his cripple nephew into the fray. You knew he would screw up. The cripple nephew was written for exactly that purpose, that what i mean with characters being cues and marks. You send him out, he fucks up and this snowball continues to roll and amass. To be fair to Dodd, he said he wanted the nephew to pull the trigger. I'm sure he imagined the hitman doing all the work and just handing him the gun to finish Ed off, 'cause that's how i interpreted his request as well. But of course, the nephew was given the lead (twice!) so he could fuck up twice and let the ride continue.

What makes it good is that we don't have to sit through 8 seasons of it.

It's actually easy to "get her." 1. She's in a marriage that she really doesn't want to be in and longs to be elsewhere doing other things. 2. She doesn't want to start a family with her husband. 3. She has psychological issues because for one thing, we know she's a hoarder with a little bit of kleptomania thrown in. This is why her selling the car, while stupid, makes sense in her world. After all, she already drove home with a guy in her windshield and took money to pay for a course that she knew her husband didn't approve of.

We already knew why he was with her from the previous episode when he learned of Otto's doctor visit from her, not this scene. This scene was to threaten her but still keep her around cause she may still be of use. The scene was for effect and tension, not for anything to be spelled out for us .

Dodd's an egotistical, hot head, which makes him sloppy.

Dodd's an egotistical, hot head, which makes him sloppy.

I'd say it's more that he lets his pride cloud his judgement, which is proven by the fact that he can't deal with a woman being in charge and settling for a deal with Kansas City. His family probably all know this since his nephew got him to let him go on a mission by saying that a Gerhardt should be avenged by a Gerhardt. I'm sure that in the end his pride will be the end of Dodd.
Peggy wins the 2015 Skylar White award for most hated female character on television, I see.

You're supposed to dislike her though, same way you're supposed to dislike Lester in S1.

orioto

Good Art™

This is really not the way that show should be judged i think. It's almost abstract at times and way more about the visuals, the mood, the rythm.. It's like music!

You're supposed to dislike her though, same way you're supposed to dislike Lester in S1.

While I pretty strongly disagree with every set of syllables that Saty's strung together in regards to this show, I'm not sure you're supposed to dislike Peggy, actually. I don't think that's what Hawley's trying to do with that character, and I don't think that's how Dunst is playing her, either. She's interesting, just short of fascinating, and definitely troubling, but I don't think she's a character built to inspire hate in the audience.

The more you know about her, the more you kinda pity her. Not in the "oh, I hope she snaps out of it" or "oh, I hope not too much bad happens to her" but more like "oh, you're super-fucked up in ways you can't even start to wrap your head around but you have no clue how to even begin fixing it and you're ruining everything you touch on your way to nowhere"

I'd say it's more that he lets his pride cloud his judgement, which is proven by the fact that he can't deal with a woman being in charge and settling for a deal with Kansas City. His family probably all know this since his nephew got him to let him go on a mission by saying that a Gerhardt should be avenged by a Gerhardt. I'm sure that in the end his pride will be the end of Dodd.

Oh, yeah, definitely prideful. And he pretty much hates women.

Grinchy

Banned
While I pretty strongly disagree with every set of syllables that Saty's strung together in regards to this show, I'm not sure you're supposed to dislike Peggy, actually. I don't think that's what Hawley's trying to do with that character, and I don't think that's how Dunst is playing her, either. She's interesting, just short of fascinating, and definitely troubling, but I don't think she's a character built to inspire hate in the audience.

The more you know about her, the more you kinda pity her. Not in the "oh, I hope she snaps out of it" or "oh, I hope not too much bad happens to her" but more like "oh, you're super-fucked up in ways you can't even start to wrap your head around but you have no clue how to even begin fixing it and you're ruining everything you touch on your way to nowhere"
I'm sure the seminar in Sioux Falls will fix her right up!

Top Bottom