• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

Plasmid

Nick was amazing tonight, same thing for Kirsten. I'm loving this season so much it's so engaging and interesting, and i honestly thought i wouldn't like the idea of sioux falls being the basis for the season.

IronRinn

Amazing episode. My favorite so far this season. Nick Offerman was so, so good.

Is this the name of that song at the end? Thank you if so!

Edit: Yes it is. Thanks!

And yeah, Dunst was great too.
Yep, made famous more recently (though still a while ago now) by O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I'm gonna watch the episode in a bit, but I wonder if Hawley and Co. will somehow use O Brother Where Art Thou as inspiration for a future season. One of my all-time favorites.

Would love it if it's a story of Mr Wrench trying to make it home and horrible things keep happening.

Cels

lol hank

they could've thrown in a few seconds of him looking for peggy after he woke up

also i really wanted to see more of what mike and the KC gang does at the gerhardt stronghold

Klocker

God damn, thrill ride TV..

So much good acting/writing. Show is tits.

Mike's double cross, Offerman whoa... Peggy and the Sheriff...

Helmholtz

Another great episode. As good as season 1 was, I'm enjoying this a lot more. It's honestly one of the best seasons of television I've seen. I really hope it ends strong.

I knew they were setting up Dodd to be taken down a peg by a woman, and I knew it'd be Peggy. Amazing episode, a masterclass in bloodless tension building.

Sometimes the threat of violence can put your characters in quite the interesting sport story wise. I'm not all too familiar with Nick Offerman. What I saw here though, was very impressive. His drunken stupor, and pure way with the English vocabulary, saved countless lives. In the end it's the best for Rye too. A victim of circumstance is better off not going down the path of his father and immediate relatives.

And does anyone else think Rob McElhenney could have played the Dodd role, if Donovan hadn't been cast?

That's a helluva long phone cord Mike. Could you imagine him with a cellphone?!!?!

What a tremendous episode of tension.

And Offerman nailed it. At least Charlie has a shot at a decent life, even if it's prison for five years.

And fuck Dodd. Good to see him get his ass handed to him.

Hatchtag

Banned
Was this the first episode without an Alien reference?

There's probably an easter egg somewhere. Episode one has an alien toy in the background as well as the huge reference. With Peggy's hoarding, they likely snuck one in somewhere.

Sometimes the threat of violence can put your characters in quite the interesting sport story wise. I'm not all too familiar with Nick Offerman. What I saw here though, was very impressive. His drunken stupor, and pure way with the English vocabulary, saved countless lives. In the end it's the best for Rye too. A victim of circumstance is better off not going down the path of his father and immediate relatives.

And does anyone else think Rob McElhenney could have played the Dodd role, if Donovan hadn't been cast?

That's a helluva long phone cord Mike. Could you imagine him with a cellphone?!!?!

Rob's a really funny guy but I haven't seen much acting chops from him in It's Always Sunny. Like Danny Devito obviously has them, and there are points in the show where you can see some pretty good ones from Glenn Howerton and to a lesser extent Charlie Day, but Rob McElhenney and Kaitlyn Oslon haven't really shown they have acting chops on par with the others. Comic ability? Certainly. But not acting, at least not that has needed to be shown in that show.

Someone from It's Always Sunny I do expect to show up is Jimmi Simpson (Liam McPoyle). He's got that combination of acting chops and comedy that most the actors in Fargo have.

Linius

Superb episode. Thrill ride from start to finish, tension kept building. Gerhardt's don't shy back from holding police men on gun point. Hanzee still freaks me the fuck out.

Rob's a really funny guy but I haven't seen much acting chops from him in It's Always Sunny. Like Danny Devito obviously has them, and there are points in the show where you can see some pretty good ones from Glenn Howerton and to a lesser extent Charlie Day, but Rob McElhenney and Kaitlyn Oslon haven't really shown they have acting chops on par with the others. Comic ability? Certainly. But not acting, at least not that has needed to be shown in that show.

Someone from It's Always Sunny I do expect to show up is Jimmi Simpson (Liam McPoyle). He's got that combination of acting chops and comedy that most the actors in Fargo have.

Easy to forget Glenn Howerton was in Season 1 of Fargo.

Romez

Knew this season would be good but never thought it would be better than the first. Have to say now this season is better.

That was the best episode of the season.

- Indiewire's Press Play video feature: Fargo's Blank Interiors and Crushing Exteriors
The characters in FX's 'Fargo' wage a steady war against each other--a quiet war, but a persistent one. Just as fervent and just as persistent, however is the clash between the show's interior rooms and businesses and the sublimity lying just outside them. The tranquil diners, the bland living rooms, the weirdly sleek mansions push stubbornly against the windswept plains and long, frosty highways of the most deserted part of the midwest, where anything could and will happen. You feel cold just looking at the screen. Roger Okamoto does a wonderful job, in this video essay, of juxtaposing inside vs. outside, shelter vs. storm, civilization vs. primordial wilderness, showing that what Noah Hawley and the show's DP, Dana Gonzales, have created here is not so much a "prestige TV" drama as an ode to the human urge to punctuate silence, either with gunfire, laughter, or good old-fashioned conversation.
Video essay via the link.

EDIT:

Some discussion from OnePerfectShot:
If there’s one thing the aesthetics of the Coen brothers’ film FARGO share with the FX drama of the same name based very, very loosely on its premise, it’s a juxtaposition of the project’s interior spaces against its exterior spaces.

In the world of FARGO, interior spaces are supposed to be a refuge, they are quiet and quaint, they are unadorned with opulence, rather a collection of simple comforts: a steaming cup of coffee in a small diner, a set of car keys on a bedside table, a doily thrown over the back of a sofa or a cup full of half-used pens by a telephone. These are spaces in which intimacy occurs, both of the pleasurable and the excruciating sort. This is where love and death happen, these are spaces you sometimes don’t want to escape, and sometimes you can’t.

Then there’s the biggest, most influential character of the movie or series: Fargo itself, or, the exterior spaces. They are vast and flat and stark and white, endless stretches of openness reaching from horizon to horizon, seemingly set to reveal every secret under a sun hidden by dense white cloud cover that mirrors the earth, creating an infinite canvas of nothing. These landscapes are cruel, they are unforgiving, and they are something to be protected against, like a constant storm or something seeking vengeance. When you see a landscape in FARGO, either FARGO, often times it’s an indication that something wicked this way comes.

In a new video essay for Indiewire’s excellent Press Play column, Roger Okamoto has collected a series of interior and exterior images from the two existing seasons of the FX series (beware of spoilers) to reveal the contradictions between interior and exterior spaces, as well as the types of actions each contains and sorts of tone each produces. Series director Noah Hawley and series D.o.P. Dana Gonzales, as Okamoto points out, have created “not so much a ‘prestige TV’ drama as an ode to the human urge to punctuate silence, either with gunfire, laughter, or good old-fashioned conversation.”

Redd

Besides Peggy every character is amazing. Season 2 is much better than season 1 so far. Loved the latest episode with all the tension and near deaths.

- Warming Glow review

x6lrLp4.gif

My only complaint in the last episode is how conveniently Dodd dropped his cattle prod for Peggy to take, it's like he thought "let's drop this here so she can use it on me in a second". Also I felt no tension during that scene as I don't really care if Peggy dies, I felt way more tension when Noreen was at risk in the previous episode.

Epic proportions of shit hitting the fan, and yet, through it all, it was essentially a vehicle driven by Nick Offerman. Amazing job. Times like this when I wish the show was 2 hours long. And, the looks on Danson's face when Peggy was talking were perfect.

I am one of the few people that love Peggy as a character. Most characters I can kind of pin down with some tropes and such, but with her, she's pretty dang unique. Especially in a crime drama.

kurahador

Best part of the episode for me was seeing Hank reaction talking to Peggy lol.

Seems like this season keeps getting better each week.
With such escalation and momentum they are building towards, it scares me that the finale won't measure up.

I am one of the few people that love Peggy as a character. Most characters I can kind of pin down with some tropes and such, but with her, she's pretty dang unique. Especially in a crime drama.

I love the character as well. Not sure why people hate on her. Maybe it's just a Joffrey situation? Where the character/actor is so good at what they do that they just fill people with hate.

JDSN

Banned
I liked Peggy this episode, they telegraphed she taking down Dodd but she even schooled a very insulting Hank, I love how she even explained her motivation without admitting to killing Rye. I thought Sonny was gonna bite it and now that Bear broke the siege he might get there on time before the Gerhart women are killed.

The author of that review believes Mike stormed the house intentionally, regardless of Simone being there. What does everyone else think?

Thanks for that GIF btw.

Holy shit, that was one of the most tense episodes of TV I've ever seen. My stomach was in knots the whole time

Seriously? Mac?

There's probably an easter egg somewhere. Episode one has an alien toy in the background as well as the huge reference. With Peggy's hoarding, they likely snuck one in somewhere.

I don't think it's much of a stretch. I think Rob could play that role similar with a tinge of humor underneath. It would have been nice for the show to have 2 Sunny members in consecutive seasons.

-griffy-

Banned
The author of that review believes Mike stormed the house intentionally, regardless of Simone being there. What does everyone else think?

Thanks for that GIF btw.

Yeah, I thought that was part of the point of the scene. It revealed that Mike truly doesn't give a shit about Simone, he's just in it to take the G's out for Kansas City. If he has an opportunity to take out Floyd undefended, he'll take it, collateral damage be damned.

Opto

Banned
Peggy is the continuation of "regular person gets in over their head by one bad action"

Jerry Lundegaard in the movie
Lester in Season 1

Peggy is the continuation of "regular person gets in over their head by one bad action"

Jerry Lundegaard in the movie
Lester in Season 1

Is it just Peggy or is it Peggy and Ed.

I mean, clearly Peggy has done more to turn this situation into a mess, but Ed's doing some pretty inane stuff too.

-griffy-

Banned
Is it just Peggy or is it Peggy and Ed.

I mean, clearly Peggy has done more to turn this situation into a mess, but Ed's doing some pretty inane stuff too.

I think it's the combination of them. I said earlier in the thread that if you were to split season 1's Lester into two characters you might get Ed and Peggy, and I'm standing by that based on how things continue to go.

Top Bottom