• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

foxtrot3d

Banned
While I thought the episode was very good and extremely tense the entire premise didn't really make sense to me. You expect me to believe that the Geihardt family which has been operating for decades doesn't have a family lawyer? I believe it was implied they control the majority of law enforcement and judicial officials in Fargo and yet they thought going down to Luverne with an army to storm a police building was the right call? How could they have survived this long if they are that stupid? Like, let's say the police resisted and they had to kill a bunch of them, hell even one of them, that is a interstate crime which means the FBI comes in. Hell, just where is the FBI right now in this whole show we've had multiple high profile interstate crimes at the moment.

Again, I'm loving the show but certain things don't add up and the "realism" is lost for the sake of creating tension. They could have gotten everything they wanted if they had just sent one lawyer down to Luverne.

I don't want to jinx it, but man this whole season has been really good so far.

First season was great but it had some down episodes, in particular it felt like they didn't know what to do with Billy Bob's character for the early part of the story hence the whole grocery store subplot.

I also think they've handled the humor and humorous characters better this season. I remember finding some of the "funny" characters in S1 a bit one-note and tonally off, like the wife of Lester's bully. But this season is killing it with Nick Offerman and Bruce Campbell where they have balanced humor and substance in their scenes very well.

Yeah, I thought that was part of the point of the scene. It revealed that Mike truly doesn't give a shit about Simone, he's just in it to take the G's out for Kansas City.

He straight up tells her that her father was right to call her a whore in that phone call, too. Mr. Milligan gives no shits about Simone as anything other than a thing for him to use.

Yeah, I thought that was part of the point of the scene. It revealed that Mike truly doesn't give a shit about Simone, he's just in it to take the G's out for Kansas City. If he has an opportunity to take out Floyd undefended, he'll take it, collateral damage be damned.
I dunno, I thought it was made extremely obvious that he didn't give a shit about her all along and was just using her since she was the easiest one to influence.

The author of that review believes Mike stormed the house intentionally, regardless of Simone being there. What does everyone else think?

Thanks for that GIF btw.

I don't think it's much of a stretch. I think Rob could play that role similar with a tinge of humor underneath. It would have been nice for the show to have 2 Sunny members in consecutive seasons.

To this first question I think it's obvious Mike didn't care about Simone and knew she was there. She thought by saying they were all out that Mike would go attack them at their location but in fact he chose to try and kill the matriarch instead.

As for Mac he did several episodes of Law&Order early in his career and I thought he handled drama quite well.

While they definitely fill the same role as Jerry and Lester, I think the interesting thing about Peggy and Ed is that they are still somewhat sympathetic characters, sure you can question their choices in deciding to cover up the incident they got involved in instead of getting involved with the cops, but it a lot of ways they are just a troubled couple caught in way over their head.

Compare that with Jerry who set up an elaborate scheme to have his wife kidnapped and embezzle money from his father-in-law, and Lester who was a straight up murderer from the first episode. Both were great characters but I was rooting against them from the start.

thenexus6

This show is too intense for me sometimes. Its the kind of show that isn't scared of pulling the trigger on any character at anytime. I was sure for a second that Ted Danson was going to get lit up Robocop style which would've sucked because I like his character alot.

Mac_Lane

Damn, that season just keeps getting better.

Too bad the amazing cover of Man of Constant Sorrow has not been properly released yet.

Here it is, as featured in that latest episode.

This show is too intense for me sometimes. Its the kind of show that isn't scared of pulling the trigger on any character at anytime. I was sure for a second that Ted Danson was going to get lit up Robocop style which would've sucked because I like his character alot.

Yeah, that was the nice thing about Kieran eating it so quickly, really established a sense of expecting anything.

aravuus

Yeah, and combined with the music, some of the scenes are really fucking tense

Felt lukewarm at best towards the first episode of s2, but it's definitely getting better and better. Most likely won't reach the heights that s1 did for me, but the last couple of episodes have been really, really good

Man, Offerman really killed it in that scene with Bear.

And I do hope Bear and Charlie make it through this. Bear is pretty much the only decent person in the Gerhardt/Kansas City war

OH JEEZ THIS SHOW IS SO FUCKING GOOD

Metal-Geo

So, any bets on the chances of
the old man getting killed during the shoot-out by Mike and his KC gang? And thus unleashing an even bigger shitstorm? After all, he was just sitting there at the table getting spoonfed...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just when I thought Offerman's character was just here for comedic relief. Everybody brought their 'A' game to this show. And no shocker that Peggy has a sadistic side.

This show has basically become a Western that takes place in 1970s Minnesota and I love every stinkin' minute of it.

DiscoJer

The basement scene reminded me a bit of Signs, how one character's psychological quirk gets used as a plot device to save their life.

My only complaint in the last episode is how conveniently Dodd dropped his cattle prod for Peggy to take, it's like he thought "let's drop this here so she can use it on me in a second". Also I felt no tension during that scene as I don't really care if Peggy dies, I felt way more tension when Noreen was at risk in the previous episode.

I don't think he dropped it, just put it down so he could squeeze through the shelves. That's not easy to do when you have a 3 foot long stick in your hand.

Hanzee is such a badass. Offerman stole the episode, great acting on his part.

This season has such a colorful cast of antagonists, and characters in general. Part of me was worried that after the popularity of Billy Bob in S1 they would go back to that same well and we'd basically get 1970s Malvo, but that's not the case at all.

thenexus6

Yeah, and combined with the music, some of the scenes are really fucking tense

Felt lukewarm at best towards the first episode of s2, but it's definitely getting better and better. Most likely won't reach the heights that s1 did for me, but the last couple of episodes have been really, really good

Yeah I wasn't sure after the first episode of this season but its been super solid ever since. I still think I prefer the first season overall because I like the modern setting more and those little snow jingle sound effect was really cool.

But i've been thoroughly enjoying this season, easily the best thing I am watching on TV at the moment.

rafaelr

wow, what a great episode. the 2 standoffs had me on the edge of the couch, knot-in-my-stomach, without even a single shot being fired. masterful performances all around.

Alpende

This season has such a colorful cast of antagonists, and characters in general. Part of me was worried that after the popularity of Billy Bob in S1 they would go back to that same well and we'd basically get 1970s Malvo, but that's not the case at all.

They really know how to write interesting and captivating characters.

The basement scene reminded me a bit of Signs, how one character's psychological quirk gets used as a plot device to save their life.

It also ties in nicely with Hanzee's story about his experience as a tunnel rat. Dodd and his two dumb buddies try to fight Peggy in her basement maze and all get taken out by her without a scratch.

While I thought the episode was very good and extremely tense the entire premise didn't really make sense to me. You expect me to believe that the Geihardt family which has been operating for decades doesn't have a family lawyer? I believe it was implied they control the majority of law enforcement and judicial officials in Fargo and yet they thought going down to Luverne with an army to storm a police building was the right call? How could they have survived this long if they are that stupid? Like, let's say the police resisted and they had to kill a bunch of them, hell even one of them, that is a interstate crime which means the FBI comes in. Hell, just where is the FBI right now in this whole show we've had multiple high profile interstate crimes at the moment.

Again, I'm loving the show but certain things don't add up and the "realism" is lost for the sake of creating tension. They could have gotten everything they wanted if they had just sent one lawyer down to Luverne.

It wasn't implied, they outright say they own the judges. As for the FBI, from the FBI website:

The FBI has special investigative jurisdiction to investigate violations of state law in limited circumstances, specifically felony killings of state law enforcement officers (28 U.S.C. § 540), violent crimes against interstate travelers (28 U.S.C. § 540A0, and serial killers (28 U.S.C. §540B). A request by an appropriate state official is required before the FBI has authority to investigate these matters.

If a crime is committed that is a violation of local, state, and federal laws, does the FBI “take over” the investigation?

No. State and local law enforcement agencies are not subordinate to the FBI, and the FBI does not supervise or take over their investigations. Instead, the investigative resources of the FBI and state and local agencies are often pooled in a common effort to investigate and solve the cases. In fact, many task forces composed of FBI agents and state and local officers have been formed to locate fugitives and to address serious threats like terrorism and street violence.

So, I suppose, in this instance, Luverne could have asked for assistance after Rye did in the Judge and the others in the diner. And when this thing really started to escalate, they probably should have. So far though, the Gerhardt's have not killed any police officers.

-griffy-

Banned
I could have sworn at one point as someone was driving, I saw the light glare off of the windshield and it looked a whole lot like ufo's in the sky.

Wouldn't surprise me. They've snuck some lens flare/streaks in the background of other shots at the diner very subtly, and I only noticed them on a re-watch, not initial viewing.

LaneDS

- FilmSchoolRejects: Forget The Walking Dead, Fargo is The Most Brutal Show on Television

Ah, I'd have to go back and check. I assume there was at least one in there since they've been consistent with it so far.

I think that's kind of a terrible headline and I find it funny that the article has a bit about whether Lou will make it out of this season alive and in the same paragraph it mentions how his daughter is the "connective tissue" to season one. Imagine if there were more characters that were from season one also in season two! What a world that would be!

IronRinn

Yeah that performance was amazing. Till now I was thinking why did he signup for this? His role is so small! But then this happens. Worth it!

Agreed. The show has done a great job of giving each of the big name hires at least one scene to really shine. And everyone has been cast perfectly.

pr0cs

Sorry if I missed the discussion but did hank just wake up and leave the house without checking on Peggy? Seemed like a serious discontinuity to me

chris121580

Yeah that performance was amazing. Till now I was thinking why did he signup for this? His role is so small! But then this happens. Worth it!

Totally agree. He was incredible. Both seasons of this show will go down as my favorite seasons of any television show ever. Right up there with The Sopranos and Mad Men for me

IronRinn

Sorry if I missed the discussion but did hank just wake up and leave the house without checking on Peggy? Seemed like a serious discontinuity to me

Yeah, he did. The AV Club mentions this and it didn't bother me at the time, but the more I think about it, the weirder it is. I mean, I guess you could blame it on the concussion but that doesn't really satisfy me. We'll see.

Yeah, he did. The AV Club mentions this and it didn't bother me at the time, but the more I think about it, the weirder it is. I mean, I guess you could blame it on the concussion but that doesn't really satisfy me. We'll see.

Not necessarily actually, Hank did go back to his vehicle immediately after waking but only to answer the radio, there was no indication that he drove off right that minute. Next time we saw him was Lou and Ed coming up on him, I'd imagine next episode will pick up with Peggy's POV after knocking out Dodd and we'll see what happened exactly.

-griffy-

Banned

I think there's some assumptions people are erroneously making. We'll have to wait until the next episode to see for sure, but I'm assuming that after Peggy shocks Dodd into unconsciousness, with another KO'd goon and one dead from Dodd's friendly fire, and a KO'd Hank on the front porch, that she isn't just gonna sit around. Presumably she takes off to Sioux Falls because gosh darn-it, that Life Spring seminar is important. Hank presumably took a look around when he woke up, saw the Gerhardt goons taken out (maybe Dodd had already left at that point even), saw Peggy missing and took off. Remember, Peggy said the seminar is tomorrow. (EDIT: Thinking on it more, Peggy may even go steal her car back from Sonny to drive to Sioux Falls, so they can't do the forensic work on it Hank told her about) It feels like we're just missing a logical A+B=C scene that we don't really need to see right now, and may in fact see next episode ala Peggy's POV of hitting Rye done in flashback.

Ed runs back home, sees the scene, sees Peggy is gone, and follows to Sioux Falls. Hanzee follows, other Gerhardts follow him, KC follows them, police follow everything, massacre happens, enough bodies to reach the second floor, etc.

Top Bottom