• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

-griffy-

Banned
"I'm getting promoted next month... So... How bad could it be?"

da872780c526453599a2516f856908a2.jpg

Speevy

Banned
I agree with Seoinwall about the weird structure of this episode. I still enjoyed it, but a couple of short scenes could have helped explain things.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What was up with that room? Was that her husband's office? It all went by so fast I couldn't tell what it was supposed to mean.

That scene was tense as fuck, though. I thought she was going to be murdered.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How did Ed get Mike's number, or am I forgetting something from a previous episode? And I wonder if Simone is really dead. TV logic and all that.

I really expected Betsy to run into a goon at her dad's house, that scene was dripping with tension. Now I have to wonder what's up with those symbols.

Lou had the line of the night with "Just don't be offended next time if I don't say Hello before I shoot." Dat Minnesota Nice.

We had some Miller's Crossing,
We had some Big Lebowski
We had some O Brother
We had some No Country.

In fact I'm trying to think of a single episode this season that didn't have most, if not all of those four in the mix somehow.

Bandit1

Man that ending! I kept wondering why we didn't see Ed, Peggy, and Dodd, but I didn't connect the dots. The only question is how did Lou and Hank not catch up to Ed as he was running back home?

I felt bad for Simone, I mean I guess she had it coming, but getting marched out into the woods and executed, I wasn't expecting that, not from Bear.

Milligan taking out the Undertaker was freaking awesome! Can somebody gif that please??

DiscoJer

What was up with that room? Was that her husband's office? It all went by so fast I couldn't tell what it was supposed to mean.

That scene was tense as fuck, though. I thought she was going to be murdered.

She went to feed her father's cat(s).

I'm not sure it's supposed to mean anything except be weird. Presumably it's UFO/alien related.

Flawless episode, that was amazing. Watching Bear be the ruthless, quiet mob boss was very Godfather-ish and juxtapositioned well with the quiet moments with Betsey (Lou's wife with cancer).

Someone on reddit screen capped all the weird symbols in Betsey's dads house
https://imgur.com/a/DIjBe

Another terrific episode. Didn't really like how they kind of left the endings (Peg, Ed, Dodd and the Gerhardt house attack) of the last episode hanging a little bit. But that didn't bring down the overall quality.

She went to feed her father's cat(s).

I'm not sure it's supposed to mean anything except be weird. Presumably it's UFO/alien related.

I'm guessing they are referencing the '79 Minnesota UFO incident in which a Minnesota cop had a weird experience while on patrol. Perhaps they are saying Hank was that guy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lol, how'd Ed get Mike's number?

That's exactly what I want to know. I honestly can't remember them ever interacting. And Ed shouldn't even know about the other mob, they just recently found out who was out to get them. I feel like I missed something.

Ed getting away last week is also super weird. He was on foot and they knew where he was going. Considering we didn't see anything of Ed, Peggy or Dodd this week, I wouldn't be shocked if there was a flashback to how they all got in this situation.

Oh sheeeeeeeet. I think I have an idea of how he got it?

Hanzee catches up to Ed, makes some deal with him to get the two factions together? I mean Hanzee is calling the Gerhardts at the end telling them he knows where Dodd is...but then again if it was Ed calling the whole episode, why would he be calling the Gerhardts to come hunt him down?! WHAT IS GOING ON

Hanzee catches up to Ed, makes some deal with him to get the two factions together? I mean Hanzee is calling the Gerhardts at the end telling them he knows where Dodd is...but then again if it was Ed calling the whole episode, why would he be calling the Gerhardts to come hunt him down?! WHAT IS GOING ON

I think you are on to something in that Ed getting Mike's number might not be a plot hole in the vein you are describing.

And Ed was calling the Gerhardt's earlier in the episode to make a deal to get them off their backs, I imagine.

GorillaJu

Bear was exceptional in this episode. They did a very good job of letting the main characters step aside to give a stage for some very compelling people to have attention. Bear, more time with Floyd and Mike all added a lot to the story.

I think he probably sent off Simone like she suggested, without killing her, though that may be left unresolved in this season and up to viewer interpretation. They definitely never gave a clear picture or sound effect indicating that Bear shot her. I think her story is the tragedy of someone who just wanted a place in the picture and had to betray her own family to get their attention, but ultimately didn't do well enough on that to walk away with a win. Bear, though, man. What a complicated situation he's in, caught between responsibility with the mob and the desire to raise his son in peace.

Mike killing the Undertaker throws the whole timeline of what we know and expect into disarray. When the mob boss called in the Undertaker, I thought it might be a coalition of forces with Mike and the Undertaker going to Sioux Falls together to join in the massacre, but it's clear Mike has too much pride, and probably feels subconsciously like he needs to prove himself after the racial accusations from the boss, to have his work trod on. We've seen very little of what Mike can do.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but aside from Mike's comments about how Kansas City represents the future and the Gerhardts the past, have there been any indications of who the "winners" are in this war? The mob is indeed based in Fargo in season 1, but at the same time, the mob have connections with a trucking company, and that's the Kansas City's MO.

As for Hank's room, there have been a lot of allusions to the general American populace in the 70's loss of faith in their government all throughout season 2. I think he's lost his trust in the world around him, and despite looking like an especially grounded character, he's withdrawn into his own crazy theories after his wife's death.

"You're a shit cop, you know that?" All of the parts with Ben cracked me up. Motherfucker is just useless. "Go walk her out." "What about you?" "I didn't mean 'don't come back'."

Man, though. Bear. And Karl.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but aside from Mike's comments about how Kansas City represents the future and the Gerhardts the past, have there been any indications of who the "winners" are in this war? The mob is indeed based in Fargo in season 1, but at the same time, the mob have connections with a trucking company, and that's the Kansas City's MO.

Gerhardt's have a trucking enterprise their operation is built upon as well. It was explained a bit in on of the first couple episodes. I've been meaning to go back and see if there was any indication on who the truckers were in Season 1, but :effort:

GorillaJu

Gerhardt's have a trucking enterprise their operation is built upon as well. It was explained a bit in on of the first couple episodes. I've been meaning to go back and see if there was any indication on who the truckers were in Season 1, but :effort:

Yes, you're right. I forgot since so much is made of KC's trucking business.

I almost forgot my favorite fan service of the season so far: Mike Milligan: "Sometimes, there's a man." Giggled a bit at that. More than anything else, the TV series does a great job of matching the movie in its ability to jump from comedy to drama and keep a straight face so well.

Hatchtag

Banned

We hadn't seen him for almost an episode. Something probably happened between now and then. Also, remember there's 1-3 Gherhardts they can interrogate (sink or gunshot wound might not have killed them), at least one of which was trying to overthrow his own family members. In addition, there's 3 of their vehicles out front, plus Peggy and Ed have clearly met up since Peggy had Dodd.

Also thank god Mike didn't get killed off, dude getting defeated like that would've been out of character.

Man, I didn't realize just how fucking terrible this season's been for Bear. Lost both his brothers, his son, his dad, killed his daughter-in-law. Just a sad character.

also how long until we get a loss photoshop of the symbols in hank's house?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Easily the best show on TV right now alongside The Leftovers. Too much quality back to back. Can't wait to see how this all ends.

Not sure how to judge Bear now, guess we'll see just how direct of a Miller's Crossing reference that scene was.

Man that ending! I kept wondering why we didn't see Ed, Peggy, and Dodd, but I didn't connect the dots. The only question is how did Lou and Hank not catch up to Ed as he was running back home?

I felt bad for Simone, I mean I guess she had it coming, but getting marched out into the woods and executed, I wasn't expecting that, not from Bear.

Milligan taking out the Undertaker was freaking awesome! Can somebody gif that please??

Another terrific episode. Didn't really like how they kind of left the endings (Peg, Ed, Dodd and the Gerhardt house attack) of the last episode hanging a little bit. But that didn't bring down the overall quality.

I'm guessing they are referencing the '79 Minnesota UFO incident in which a Minnesota cop had a weird experience while on patrol. Perhaps they are saying Hank was that guy.

That's exactly what I want to know. I honestly can't remember them ever interacting. And Ed shouldn't even know about the other mob, they just recently found out who was out to get them. I feel like I missed something.

Ed getting away last week is also super weird. He was on foot and they knew where he was going. Considering we didn't see anything of Ed, Peggy or Dodd this week, I wouldn't be shocked if there was a flashback to how they all got in this situation.

I'm pretty sure that at least a portion of the next episode will be filling in the gaps of what Ed and Peggy have been up to, after purposefully leaving it blank this episode for the Dodd in the trunk surprise at the end. They've knowingly left some questions hanging here.

Fun fact, Ed's car at the end is one of the cars that Dodd's crew showed up on his lawn with in the previous episode.

maxcriden

Can someone PM me the runtime of the actual ep? Want to schedule in a viewing of the ep today if possible but unsure if I have time. Thanks!

maxcriden

It's 56:20 if you don't watch the credits, 58:46 if you include them.

Source: the ep on Netflix.

It's about 58 minutes. Why do you need it PMed to you?

I assume he doesn't want to read the thread until he's seen the episode.

Yep, that's why. I think I got spoiled on
Simone dying
just now, but I didn't really like the character so I'm not too torn up about it. Anyway, regardless, thanks for the info, all.

This show is just incredible. I haven't watched the leftovers yet (don't even know what it is actually) but this is easily the best show on TV right now.

IronRinn

Well, Justified is over but if you guys haven't you can catch up on The Americans and join that thread next year for another edition of FX Shows That Are Fantastic But No One Is Watching.

I just want more people to watch The Americans.

-griffy-

Banned
Well, Justified is over but if you guys haven't you can catch up on The Americans and join that thread next year for another edition of FX Shows That Are Fantastic But No One Is Watching.

Seconded.

Thirded... :p

A few stills and a gif from last night's episode:

C5KbqRx.png

MPnFnte.png

x5iiw14.jpg

ltkSUp3.jpg

pFYsc1F.gif

Top Bottom