• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 2 - a new true crime chapter takes us to 1979 Sioux Falls - Mon on FX

Herbs

Banned
no you're right, I mixed it up, the phone scene was the one with ed

yeah. I mean it seems like he's alone with his mute guy so I was just curious because it seems like it's someone in the room with him who says it. Just interesting.

Onion A|V Club's Polite Fight:
- Looking deep into Fargo’s mirrors (video discussion)
On this week’s unflinchingly affable Polite Fight, Gus and John see double as they look into the mirror images and ambiguities of “Did You Do This? No, You Did It!”—a Fargo episode that’s two-sided down to the title. Our hosts decline to speculate on Simone’s fate, but Gus thinks he caught hints of the show’s extraterrestrial interlopers in the forest; John is unconvinced. Hank’s alien hobby prompts John to root around in his subconscious, and Gus tries to draw clues from alien hieroglyphs. Plus, there’s a matter of blue and white. We finish with a question regarding Ed’s excellent adventure.

Bread

Banned
Lol so many people thinking he's a mute

Amazing episode, how many do we have left this season? Seems like things are about to explosively wrap up soon.

HoJu

really liking the show, but I hope for the next season they cut it out with the Coen references. it's just distracting. what they've brought is strong enough to stand on its own.

really liking the show, but I hope for the next season they cut it out with the Coen references. it's just distracting. what they've brought is strong enough to stand on its own.

and tone it down on the writing/acting directions a little.

Someone ordering a cheeseburger in this show would involve them giving a long, quirky speech about the history of the cheeseburger, which would double as a metaphor for the events of the show to the viewer. The fast food employee would respond with a long speech about how they're a cog in the machine, which would also be a metaphor for the events of the show to the viewer, but from a different perspective.

i just think the events of the show are good enough without making it seem so...shakespearian or some shit lol

Real Hero

and tone it down on the writing/acting directions a little.

Someone ordering a cheeseburger in this show would involve them giving a long, quirky speech about the history of the cheeseburger, which would double as a metaphor for the events of the show to the viewer. The fast food employee would respond with a long speech about how they're a cog in the machine, which would also be a metaphor for the events of the show to the viewer, but from a different perspective.

i just think the events of the show are good enough without making it seem so...shakespearian or some shit lol

seems like you want to ruin the show!

Saty

There are writers that are still not tired with the over-used tactic of going to kill a character but cutting away at the moment so the doubt remains if the character's dead or not? *yawn*. Do you really need that potential twist down the line? I hope Simone's dead because otherwise that would be very disappointing.

Hank came to but didn't bother to check the house to see if Peggy's okay and thus discover Dodd and the other two? Bravo. Bra-fucking-vo Mr. Prop. How are you a Sheriff again?
Ed flees on foot, Hank picks up Lou with a car telling him they know where's going (to his house to get Peggy and run) but somehow in this ep they are mystified how they got away. So you're telling me they didn't drive straight back to Ed's house and got him? Holy shit, the way Fargo is bending and breaking its back to hit the plot points they want to is unbelievable. This kind of stuff gets torn to pieces by discernible viewers in every other show, but here it doesn't make a dent in considering Fargo the BEST show on air.

The seams are just there to see. Big and bulky. Fargo can be a good show if they'll care to hide them.

Easily the best show on television. So happy that they're making a season 3.
I really hope with season 3 they focus on a younger Otto Gerhardt (sometime around the movie theatre scene earlier in the season).

Grinchy

Banned
Easily the best show on television. So happy that they're making a season 3.
I really hope with season 3 they focus on a younger Otto Gerhardt (sometime around the movie theatre scene earlier in the season).

My new wish for this series is that they just keep going back in time with the same types of character links until they get to the dinosaurs.

foxtrot3d

Banned
There are writers that are still not tired with the over-used tactic of going to kill a character but cutting away at the moment so the doubt remains if the character's dead or not? *yawn*. Do you really need that potential twist down the line? I hope Simone's dead because otherwise that would be very disappointing.

Hank came to but didn't bother to check the house to see if Peggy's okay and thus discover Dodd and the other two? Bravo. Bra-fucking-vo Mr. Prop. How are you a Sheriff again?
Ed flees on foot, Hank picks up Lou with a car telling him they know where's going (to his house to get Peggy and run) but somehow in this ep they are mystified how they got away. So you're telling me they didn't drive straight back to Ed's house and got him? Holy shit, the way Fargo is bending and breaking its back to hit the plot points they want to is unbelievable. This kind of stuff gets torn to pieces by discernible viewers in every other show, but here it doesn't make a dent in considering Fargo the BEST show on air.

The seams are just there to see. Big and bulky. Fargo can be a good show if they'll care to hide them.

We don't know how Ed and Peggy got away so criticizing the show for not answering that (especially when it will most likely be answered next episode) seems premature.

I was looking through some behind the scenes photos and thought this one was cool:

59epvtq.jpg

Not sure what scene that is - maybe when Lou walks in on Milligan and the twins in the typewriter store?

My new wish for this series is that they just keep going back in time with the same types of character links until they get to the dinosaurs.

Yeah, I can see it getting a little out of hand if they just keeping diving deeper and deeper into the past.
I just love this season and the characters so much that I want more of it.

Saty

We don't know how Ed and Peggy got away so criticizing the show for not answering that (especially when it will most likely be answered next episode) seems premature.

But we do know Hank was choked out and when he came to he didn't think to check Peggy's house, the person who was at immediate danger before he blacked-out. That way he missed Dodd and his goons and who knows what else. Hank turning on his 'extremely incompetent and stupid' mode to allow the plot to proceed how they wanted to.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
But we do know Hank was choked out and when he came to he didn't think to check Peggy's house, the person who was at immediate danger before he blacked-out. That way he missed Dodd and his goons and who knows what else. Hank turning on his 'extremely incompetent and stupid' mode to allow the plot to proceed how they wanted to.
We don't know that yet. This episode did leave some gaping holes between last weeks episode and this one - Mike not executing everyone at the Gerhardt's, Peggy and Ed getting away, Peggy not being checked on, ed knowing how to get in touch with the Gerhardts and Mike. The way they off-handedly had the sheriff 'clear' up him not checking on her, suggests that there is more going on.

Roi

Maybe I missed it but how does Ed knows who Mike is, and how did he get his number?

Loving the last few episodes!

Fury451

Banned
Maybe I missed it but how does Ed knows who Mike is, and how did he get his number?

You didn't miss it; I'm thinking next episode will cover some of those gaps

If I had to hazard a guess, I think Hanzee may be helping them? Don't know why, but in the most recent episode, Ed tries calling Bear a couple times about Dodd (presumably it's him anyways), then Hanzee calls saying he knows where Dodd is. Then Ed calls Mike after Bear won't respond to him either...so maybe Hanzee knew how to get hold of Mike?

I would presume an expert like him would've found the Kansas City hotel hideout pretty fast.

You didn't miss it; I'm thinking next episode will cover some of those gaps

If I had to hazard a guess, I think Hanzee may be helping them? Don't know why, but in the most recent episode, Ed tries calling Bear a couple times about Dodd (presumably it's him anyways), then Hanzee calls saying he knows where Dodd is. Then Ed calls Mike after Bear won't respond to him either...so maybe Hanzee knew how to get hold of Mike?

I would presume an expert like him would've found the Kansas City hotel hideout pretty fast.

So without giving too much away, one or two of the promo pics for the next episode (pretty vague but tagged just in case)
pretty much guarantee that the next episode will flashback to fill in some of these gaps

Actually, he was smashed in the head with the butt of a gun. And he awoke to the sound of the police radio, which he immediately answered and found out about the showdown at the station. Then, presumably, he headed to the station.

Fury451

Banned
So without giving too much away, one or two of the promo pics for the next episode (pretty vague but tagged just in case)
pretty much guarantee that the next episode will flashback to fill in some of these gaps

Thanks for the heads up, I had not seen that yet. The last few episodes, excellent as they have been, will probably be even better once the entire series is finished and you can see the context of how everything connects.

Krakn3Dfx

Maybe it's been asked/answered, but in the window washer scene at the beginning of the episode, is that Justin Theroux behind the desk talking? He's not mentioned on IMDB for it, but he totally looks like Justin Theroux.

DiscoJer

Watching Rocky on Spike right now and Adrian looks so much like Betsy, they probably meant to do that

That was a popular hairstyle back then (that hasn't been seen much since). When I first saw her (Betsy) I was reminded of a friend's mother.

They've really done a remarkable job of making it look like 1979. The clothes. The cars - all too often it looks like a car show with all these pristine, collectible cars. But they use more typical ones.

They've really done a remarkable job of making it look like 1979. The clothes. The cars - all too often it looks like a car show with all these pristine, collectible cars. But they use more typical ones.

The 70s aesthetic is amazing. Not just the cars and the clothes, but the buildings interiors and exteriors are great as well.

- Matt Zoller Seitz for NY Mag: On Fargo, The Leftovers, and the Renewed Energy of a Good Second Season
Fargo’s second season has widened the show’s scope and deepened its style while strengthening its claim to not just being a Coen-brothers knockoff, or even a Coen–esque show, but its own strange thing. All the elements you expect from the show are firmly in place, including eccentric monologues and eruptions of bloody, often mournful violence, and the show sprinkles every frame with Easter-egg-type references to Joel and Ethan’s work (including UFOs). But the 1970s period details, such as split-screen montages, deep-cut rock and roll, and Ronald Reagan (played by Bruce Campbell), somehow feel like organic extensions of the series’ gestalt rather than annoying attempts at quirk.

Ruruja

Just watched all of S1 and up to date with S2 since yesterday morning, quite the binge.

It's pretty good ya?

I still prefer S1 to S2 as I felt the characters were stronger. Malvo was one of the all-time great TV characters after all. Though it's so close it doesn't really matter, two great seasons.

rtcn63

I'm liking the season, it seems a bit tighter than the first though I don't feel as attached to the characters. Maybe just overthinking, who knows. And I'm in agreement that I dislike the timeskip. Was afraid I'd missed an episode or something.

Anyways, so the UFO room was at the sheriff's place?

Is there somewhere to stream this live? I have access to Cox cable but not on my TV. I can sign in to FX and catch up later but I'm not sure if they have a live streaming option

scratch that I got it!

edit again: shoot missed the beginning

Top Bottom