• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Oh I'm just sure he is. That's what I would say, too.

I don't know, killing a person is a pretty heavy thing to deal with. Despite the horrible thing the man was doing, the father is probably in his own head right now deciding if the punishment was worth it.

If someone did that to my four year old, I would want them dead, I say to myself. But if I killed someone touching my kid, I would probably have my own issues to deal with later down the road knowing that a man is gone from this world due to my hands.

We cannot hide the primal urge to protect your child under political correctness, nor should we. The situation played out as it should.

As a father of two beautiful baby girls, I could not convict this man. I cannot think of a parent that would. The defenders here are not patents.

KHarvey16

Pretty sure the use of deadly force is allowed to defend another from a forcible felony. I don't think it's a matter of simply having no prosecutor or grand jury that would indict him, but that his actions weren't illegal given what we understand.

Draft

Vigilante justice is usually popular when applied to pedophiles, but is there any evidence of what the dead guy was doing, or is it just the word of a 4 year old kid and the killer?

This literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Fuck people like that, seriously.

I hope they get the girl the help she needs... :( Poor thing.

Pretty sure the use of deadly force is allowed to defend another from a forcible felony. I don't think it's a matter of simply having no prosecutor or grand jury that would indict him, but that his actions weren't illegal given what we understand.

Interesting. I thought clear threat of death was required.

KillGore

I'm_OK_With_This-(n1296497202304).png

Cheech

I don't know, killing a person is a pretty heavy thing to deal with. Despite the horrible thing the man was doing, the father is probably in his own head right now deciding if the punishment was worth it.

If someone did that to my four year old, I would want them dead, I say to myself. But if I killed someone touching my kid, I would probably have my own issues to deal with later down the road knowing that a man is gone from this world due to my hands.

Yeah. The irony is that the molester would have had a horrible life after the fact. Public humiliation, trial, then years upon years of being raped and tortured in prison. What he got, IMO, was a mercy killing. Ask any ex-con what happens to child molesters in prison; for once, the truth is actually much worse than what is portrayed in fiction.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I am not sure you're responding to the post you think you're responding to. That has nothing to do with the point I was making.

However, yes, I do believe most "normal" fathers would want serious harm to come to their daughter's molester. If you don't have a daughter, your opinion is nullified. Sorry. I have a five year old daughter, and can safely say I wouldn't lose any sleep if I accidentally killed the dude. If you can find a father of a young girl who disagrees, I will show you a world full of unicorns and Care Bears, because that doesn't fucking exist either.

You probably could find someone who wouldn't, or at the very least fling to your daughters aid, I call them shitty parents.

bengraven

Yeah. The irony is that the molester would have had a horrible life after the fact. Public humiliation, trial, then years upon years of being raped and tortured in prison. What he got, IMO, was a mercy killing. Ask any ex-con what happens to child molesters in prison; for once, the truth is actually much worse than what is portrayed in fiction.

Agreed.

But I feel for the father if he's truly feeling remorse. Killing can't be an easy thing to deal with, despite how many people tell you you're okay, you're morally in the right and you're not going to get in trouble for it.

We cannot hide the primal urge to protect your child under political correctness, nor should we. The situation played out as it should.

As a father of two beautiful baby girls, I could not convict this man. I cannot think of a parent that would. The defenders here are not patents.

You know, nobody is saying this guy should be convicted. Some people are saying (and justified) that the insane bloodlust GAF has sometimes might not always be the best thing. Hell, the father of this story claims to be extremely remorseful, and I can believe it. GAF loves their stories about butchering criminals but they just don't realize that the last thing someone enduring the mental torture of having had a 4 year old daughter raped is the mental torture of having killed a man with his own hands.

Do I think this story would've ended better if the rapist was arrested? Yeah. Do I think the father was wrong in the slightest? Of course not. He went too far, but it's completely understandable, and the guy he killed was absolute scum. In the heat of the moment he was just thinking he had to stop that guy, and was completely in the right for doing what he did.

coldfoot

Banned
I'd say depends on the circumstances. If the dad just punched the attacker a few times and he fell to the ground motionless and then he stopped, that's a legit kill and no charges should be filed. If the dad continued punching AFTER realizing that the pedophile was knocked out, then he should be charged. Of course the dad might not be in any capacity to realize anything at that point, which is completely understandable, and that's probably what happened. But if he consciously realized that the attacker was knocked out and still kept on beating him, then it's a charge if you ask me.

Of course it's all so vague and such a theory would be very difficult if not impossible to show what the dad was thinking at the time, so I doubt any charges will be filed. It's probably for the best anyway.

However, yes, I do believe most "normal" fathers would want serious harm to come to their daughter's molester. If you don't have a daughter, your opinion is nullified. Sorry. I have a five year old daughter, and can safely say I wouldn't lose any sleep if I accidentally killed the dude. If you can find a father of a young girl who disagrees, I will show you a world full of unicorns and Care Bears, because that doesn't fucking exist either.

This part of your statement I have an issue with. Would I have done the same thing, probably, but I'd have to think there is a chance I would lose sleep over it. I mean come on, I wouldn't regret what I did, but I did take a life and that can be traumatizing event.

coldfoot

Banned
I wonder why they won't lock all child molesters together in prison, or even have one exclusively for them.

Cheech

Untitled-1.jpg

I'm sorry. Those topics came up in that exact order in my feed, and I had to share it. Moment of levity and all that.

Esiquio

Yup, would do the same for sure, 100%. Caught red-handed, too? Damn, blood would boil. IF, in the off-chance, he gets arrested, no jury on Earth would convict him.

jett

D-Member
Some mentally stunted sons of bitches up in this thread. There truly is a defense force for every fucking thing in this forum.

Father was 100% in the right, there's nothign else to say.

Amir0x

Banned
i would have definitely blacked out on anyone I caught doing that to any kid, period, whether it was my daughter, my niece, my nephew or a stranger's child.

jett said:
There truly is a defense force for every fucking thing in this forum.

I could have told you that! Some people defended the dancing boys of Afghanistan and the pedo shit that goes on there! Some people on GAF still defend friend codes!

This part of your statement I have an issue with. Would I have done the same thing, probably, but I'd have to think there is a chance I would lose sleep over it. I mean come on, I wouldn't regret what I did, but I did take a life and that can be traumatizing event.

I really don't think I'd be traumatized either.

But, I'm pretty well convinced I have a screw loose or 2 when it comes to things like that.

Yeah, this has to be absolute horrible thing for the father to deal with. First he witnesses his daughter being sexually assaulted and now he's living with the fact that he had to take a man's life. It may be very justified but I imagine most of us would like to live our life never having killed another person.

squall211

Can't believe all the people here are okay with murder. You don't kill another human being, unless there absolutely is no other way. You aren't going to tell me the guy who was doing the abusing was unconscious before he died. The father should have left it at that.

Does GAF give an award for dumbest post of the year? Christ, I hope you don't have kids.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This was clearly voluntary manslaughter. The father will probably be acquitted for a "crime of passion," if prosecutors bring charges at all, which I doubt, because of the high profile nature of this incident.

The one time I have ever been in a fit of rage was when I saw first hand a couple of teenage boys drive by with a shotgun and kill my pet goose. I was so pumped up with adrenaline, that I ran after them and planned to rip them out of their car and beat the shit out of them. I'm not docpan, and this was the first time I have experienced a fit of pure rage that could have led me to severely injure another human. Fortunately for them, no cars were in front of them at the stop sign, and they were able to get away.

There's just something about witnessing a crime personal to you as it happens as opposed to hearing about it. I can't imagine what emotions flared up when the dad walked in on a naked man doing that stuff to his 4 year old daughter.

Yasae

Banned
Amen. Forever alone gaf sometimes speaks on things they can't understand.
Sometimes Parent GAF gets unnecessarily self-righteous, too. It's not the rage anyone has a problem with (except a few outliers in this thread). It's saying this man couldn't have possibly felt remorse because he's a parent.

Well, ok. If you're a parent but have not defended your child from a sexual assault yet, you can shut up too. Those are the rules involved when playing the Experience Card™.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Despite the good in what he did, you can't feel good about killing someone in front of your 4 year old.

What a terrible position to be in.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Despite the good in what he did, you can't feel good about killing someone in front of your 4 year old.

What a terrible position to be in.

I don't think the 4 year old saw it that way. It's not like the guy died innocently.

I could have told you that! Some people defended the dancing boys of Afghanistan and the pedo shit that goes on there! Some people on GAF still defend friend codes!

lol. I'm dying here.

I know these arguments on GAF are just circles because they actually require intellectual thought, but can everyone understand why saying things like this can be seen as bad?

I mean, feeling good about a story that involves child rape and someone dying...come on. It's ok if that's what you're into, but at least understand why someone would disagree with you.

One less child rapist in the world. Therefore, feel good story.

Silexx

Interesting. I thought clear threat of death was required.

It can vary depending on jurisdiction and how the laws are written.

Some laws allow you to intervene in when there is a 'clear and present danger' to a person. Also, it is important to remember that most 'self-defense' or 'defense of a third person' clause state that the force use must reasonable and justifiable to stop the threat at hand. Now, because the criminal law is all about intent (mea culpa), what will determine what is 'reasonable and justifiable force' is how the person using the force perceives the threat at the time. In other words, did the father use an appropriate amount of force to negate the threat as he perceived it? Generally, lethal force is not justified even when it comes to coming to the aid of your daughter being molested... BUT for that to be prosecutable, the father would have needed to intentionally wanted to kill the guy. By the account in the article, it was not his intent. And so, now the question will be if the force used despite the outcome was justified.

It seems the DA would think so and so would I.

IMO it's justified revenge.. technically under the law? There is no such thing.. hence why despite this probably fairly easily fitting a manslaughter charge, the DA will be subjective and decide not to press charges.

Actually, it IS legal. It's called justifiable homicide.

Potentially excusing conditions common to most jurisdictions include the following.
3. Many countries agree that it may be lawful for a citizen to repel violence with violence to protect his or her own or another's life and limb, or to prevent sexual assault. However, there is less agreement on the extent to which it is ever justifiable to kill the attacker. There are usually tests based on the proportionality of the response to the attack. Thus, there may be exculpation if the level of force used in defense matches the force threatened and the "winner" of the conflict first retreated or showed a clear intention not to fight (assuming this was possible in the time available).

I would imagine that most jurors would find a few punches to the head to be less than or equal to the "force" threatened by the person committing sexual assault. Nor do I think the father "intended" to fight the guy. He was driven to action to save his daughter. No court in the land would convict this guy. And rightly so.

Edit: Beaten 2 posts above me.

Actually, it IS legal. It's called justifiable homicide.

I would imagine that most jurors would find a few punches to the head to be less than or equal to the "force" threatened by the person committing sexual assault. Nor do I think the father "intended" to fight the guy. He was driven to action to save his daughter. No court in the land would convict this guy. And rightly so.

Edit: Beaten 2 posts above me.

Sure, perhaps legal on self defense claims.

But revenge killings aren't legal; if it really was a reasonable amount of force then so be it.

The numerous posts in this thread claiming they would purposefully kill someone if they caught them in that situation are most certainly discussing a crime they'd be committing though.

This particular case may or may not involve that crime; either way IMO justified enough for the LE to not even investigate further.

Killing in revenge or in anger is not on it's own a justifiable homicide; in most jurisdictions it's manslaughter... That was my only point. Not getting into the particulars of this case and whether it was legit "defense" tho as I've already traveled that ugly.

Tawpgun

I mean...

He should have stopped short of killing the man...

but to stop a father from doing that when the guy did what he did to his daughter. I don't blame him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom