• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

favorite anthology horror?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endo Punk

I love the genre, not just for Halloween 🎃 all year round I am a fan and my fav of all is anthology horror, probably due to all my years watching reruns of twilight zone on Sci-fi channel or Bravo I think. Having these bite sized spooky tales is great and allows for more creativity in the genre, have a fav? Let's use it as a recommendation thread too.

My favourite is the 70's tales from the crypt. Haven't seen it in years but the stories stand out especially one where a wife wants to bring back her dead husband, by God was the ending quite chilling, really set a great mood throughout each story.

It's funny you talk about Tales From the Crypt because I am watching the third and fourth seasons on DVD right now. It's pretty decent actually.

Fury451

Banned
My personal favorite is Twilight Zone, but Serling's follow-up Night Gallery had some decent stuff in it even if it was a lot weaker overall.

The Outer Limits, both original series and the relaunch (though a bit less so) are pretty high quality also. Just as good as TZ a lot of the time.

Tales from the Crypt naturally.

The Hitchiker was an underrated series. Not sure it exists in a complete form that you can get though, anything I found is episodes of it in more of a collection rather than the entire series.

Friday the 13th series isn't too bad actually.

Tales from the Darkside, though it's not a favorite of mine.

Monsters is a schlocky companion series if you like Tales from the Darkside.

Think Syfy just launched a show this month called Channel Zero, but I haven't seen it

zeemumu

Movies?
Trick_r_treat.jpg
MV5BOTU3NGIyZTctOWEyMS00MGIyLWFkZWMtMTg0ODE2MjExNGZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

220px-Talesfromthedarkside.jpg
220px-TwilightZoneMovePoster.jpg

Shows?

Not a series but Bodybags (TV film from 93) has one of my favorite anthology shorts, "The Gas Station", directed by Carpenter. Fantastic cinematography and pacing, a simple slasher premise done masterfully by the uh, master.

The Creepshow films have some standouts, The Raft being a fav. Originally a Stephen King short story.

zeemumu

Not a series but Bodybags (TV film from 93) has one of my favorite anthology shorts, "The Gas Station", directed by Carpenter. Fantastic cinematography and pacing, a simple slasher premise done masterfully by the uh, master.

The Creepshow films have some standouts, The Raft being a fav. Originally a Stephen King short story.

I liked the story from the first movie that actually starred Stephen King.

Then of course, there's this...

sD7Vtcu.gif

Think Syfy just launched a show this month called Channel Zero, but I haven't seen it
Channel Zero is seems to be an anthology were each season is different(based on a different creepypasta series). This season's Candle Cove, next one is No End House.

Glad someone else likes that segment. It oozes atmosphere and that restroom... damn!

For movies, I liked After Midnight.
After.Midnight.%25281989%2529.jpg

There is also Nightmares....
nightmares1.jpg

... which spawned from a tv show called Darkroom.
darkroom-show1.jpg

Of course, there's also Night Gallery.
Night_Gallery_Rod_Serling1.jpg

For the lower budget/lesser known ones, I'd include Whisper to a Scream(AKA The Offspring)...
From_A_Whisper_To_A_Scream_posters_25756.jpg

...The Willies...
51y4j0hiH5L._SX940_.jpg

...Grim Prairie Tales...
grim%2Bprairie%2Btales%2Bacademy%2Bvhs%2Bad.jpg

... Campfire Tales...
220px-Campfire_Tales_1997.jpg

... and The Company of Wolves.
Company-of-wolves-poster.jpg

DiscoJer

Amicus put out a lot of these in the 70s, but yeah, Tales of the Crypt was probably the best. But their others are worth checking out:

From Beyond the Grave
The Vault of Horror
The House That Dripped Blood
Torture Garden
Asylum

Also, Trilogy of Terror, which was a made for TV deal from Dan Curtis

spliced

I've seen a bit or more of so much of the stuff mentioned.

My favorites movies are either one of the Creepshows or Cat's Eye.

TV shows Twilight Zone for the high quality and Outer Limits & Tales From the Crypt for being the best of the modernish shows(Before Black Mirror which I haven't seen yet).

I meant to check out more Alfred Hitchcock Presents too at some point. I saw one about a guy on a farm that I really liked but I think I may have seen one of the best ones.

Another lesser known show is One Step Beyond. It had a pretty creepy vibe to it from what I remember.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Anthology fiction is my favorite genre. i love them all. Even the shittiest ones. Except Creepshow 3 because fuck that movie.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
My favourite is the 70's tales from the crypt. Haven't seen it in years but the stories stand out especially one where a wife wants to bring back her dead husband, by God was the ending quite chilling, really set a great mood throughout each story.

The Amicus anthology horror movies are superb. The Vault of Horror is my favorite of the bunch. Drawn and Quartered, the final story in VoH, is just so fun and ridiculous.

HotHamBoy

Amazing show but I didn't list it because I don't know if it's technically horror

Black Mirror is absolutely horror.

Per Wikipedia:

Horror is a film genre seeking to elicit a negative emotional reaction from viewers by playing on the audience's primal fears.

Horror isn't limited to gore and monsters.

My pick:

kwaidan-kaidan.15332.jpg

Kwaidan (1964) is a great Japanese anthology film featuring 4 ghost stories by 4 directors. It's really good, if not particularly scary.

three_extremes_ver3_7744.jpg

Three (aka Three Extremes 2 in the West, confusingly, despite being the first) and Three... Extremes are also pretty good horror antholgies. Each features 3 short films by 3 notable Asian directors. Recommended, for sure.

Tales from the Crypt
Creepshow and Creepshow 2
Night Gallery
The Outer Limits

Liked Campfire Tales, too.

There are some mentioned in this thread that I wish I'd seen.

zeemumu

Is night gallery the one with that guy who has the painting with a zombie gradually getting closer to the door?

Black Mirror is absolutely horror.

Per Wikipedia:

Horror is a film genre seeking to elicit a negative emotional reaction from viewers by playing on the audience's primal fears.

Horror isn't limited to gore and monsters.

By that definition, a movie like Gone Girl should be considered Horror, or Enemy, hell even Nightcrawler. I would hardly take anything written on Wikipedia to heart.

Matty77

I always really liked Masters of Horror, though the first season was much better than the second.

Standouts for me are Ciggarette Burns by Carpenter and Stuart Gordon's Dreams from the witchouse.

HotHamBoy

By that definition, a movie like Gone Girl should be considered Horror, or Enemy, hell even Nightcrawler. I would hardly take anything written on Wikipedia to heart.

Yeah, those are all Horror films, in a sense.

You prefer Merriam-Webster's Dictionary?

Horror
noun hor·ror ˈhȯr-ər, ˈhär-

Simple Definition of horror
: a very strong feeling of fear, dread, and shock
: the quality of something that causes feelings of fear, dread, and shock : the horrible or shocking quality or character of something
: something that causes feelings of fear, dread, and shock : something that is shocking and horrible

Full Definition of horror
a : painful and intense fear, dread, or dismay <astonishment giving place to horror on the faces of the people about me — H. G. Wells>
b : intense aversion or repugnance
a : the quality of inspiring horror : repulsive, horrible, or dismal quality or character <contemplating the horror of their lives — Liam O'Flaherty>
b : something that inspires horror
plural : a state of extreme depression or apprehension

Per www.filmsite.org, the top result when Googling "what defines a horror film"

"Horror Films are unsettling films designed to frighten and panic, cause dread and alarm, and to invoke our hidden worst fears, often in a terrifying, shocking finale, while captivating and entertaining us at the same time in a cathartic experience."

Black Mirror is horror. Technophobia and social anxiety and paranoia. The fear of not being in control is a common theme.

Yeah I feel like that's stretching the definition. I mean the Black Mirror wiki says it has dark themes, you can cast a pretty wide net and call oodles of suspense films horror at that point. Yes, there are horrific aspects to the implications behind some of the technophobe themes in BM, and while some are more overt (White Xmas date story, Playtest), most are more suspense/mystery oriented.

Endo Punk

Just watched Southbound, didn't care for it tbh, also watched the first story and 5 minutes of the next one in tales of Halloween, not feeling it. The last great anthology I saw was trick r treat, though the ones after have their moments like the one story the director of the raid made for vhs.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just watched Southbound, didn't care for it tbh, watched the first story and 5 minutes of the next one in tales of Halloween, not feeling it. The last great anthology I saw was trick r treat, though the ones after have their moments like the one story the director of the raid made for vhs.
Southbounds third story is the best segment in the movie. id stay until at least that finishes. And if you finish that you might as well stay until the end.

Endo Punk

Southbounds third story is the best segment in the movie. id stay until at least that finishes. And if you finish that you might as well stay until the end.

Oh I watched all of Southbound and yea 3rd one is good but not good enough to elevate the film for me.

inm8num2

Mario Bava's Black Sabbath is my favorite.

Dead of Night (older British movie) is also very good.

Shout outs to:

Tales of Terror
Creepshow
Body Bags
Tales from the Crypt
Trick 'r Treat
Twilight Zone: The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom