• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite video game stories?

kikkis

I don't often enjoy video game stories, but I really liked Jade empire story and slightly flawed mass effect trilogy story. Other than it feels kind of weird to admit, I don't really remember liking other video game stories that much.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
71CgEjERCyL._SL1000_.jpg
nier-series-drakenguard-game-square-enix.jpg

Last edited:

Denton

From oldest to newest, my favourite stories in games

Planescape: Torment
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Mafia: City of Lost Heaven
Mass Effect Trilogy
Witcher 2
Sleeping Dogs
Witcher 3 + Expansions
Enderal: Forgotten Stories
Nier Automata
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Red Dead Redemption 2
Disco Elysium
Cyberpunk 2077
Forgotten City
Guardians of the Galaxy

DelireMan7

First to come in mind is Final Fantasy X.
Replayed it recently and still loves it.
Tidus playing the "outsider" (paralleling the palyer) role and make the inhabitants of the world questioned their own beliefs and cultural rules works pretty well.
The goal of pilgrimage hidden only to Tidus. Knowing that Yuna and her guardians do it on their on will is hitting hard for me.

When it's finally revealed, it gives to Tidus (and the player) a whole new vision about Yuna's action till then. For example the infamous laughing scene. You finally understand why she wanted to laugh there.
You also now understand the Al bhed's actions trying to stop the pilgrimage.

The romance is very well done and the ending is very emotional.

There is some flaws here and there but it's a wonderful story for me.

Others story that marked me are Last of Us 1, To the Moon, Metal Gear Solid franchise...

Also the minimalist story telling of Ico, Shadow of Colossus, Last Guardian or Journey are hitting me just right.

Borowski_1

The Last Guardian
Night in the Woods
Pyre
Uncharted 4
God of War 2005
RDR
RDR 2
NieR
NieR Automata
Guardians of the Galaxy
Mafia: Definitive Edition
Mafia 2
The Last of Us
Alan Wake + Alan Wake 2

Aion002

Gold Member
FFVII, Xenogears, Chrono Cross and Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are the video game stories that I am most fond.

CashPrizes

My top 10 in a loose order:
Chrono Trigger
Baldur's Gate 2
The Last of Us
Final Fantasy VI
Mass Effect 2
Persona 3 Reload
Witcher 2 + Witcher 3 + expansions. All feels like 1 big story to me.
Final Fantasy Tactics
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Dragon Age Inquisition

Fallout 1 and 2 almost made it, the broader story in those games is good but it's all the side quests and character interactions that make them great. Same with New Vegas.
Metal Gear Solid 1 has a great story, and then the other games just ruin it. I hate MGS2's story with a passion.

Shout outs to Phantasy Star IV, Castlevania SOTN, Unicorn Overlord, Persona 4, Baldur's Gate 3, Cyberpunk, Uncharted 2 and 4, Warcraft III, Diablo II, Tell Tale's the Walking Dead Series 1, Fables: The Wolf Among Us.

Last edited:
I was gonna say Metal Gear Solid 1, but then scrapped it, but then decided to add it again.

Because while it is really great, funny, and engaging, with some really beautiful themes, there are certain parts where the game required you to play the MSX games to actually get what is going on. Which is a bit weird.

It does lessen some of the twists and "Wooow, ______????" moments.

But it doesn't lessen the story at all, and it actually just makes you want to play those MSX games.
Which MGS 2 (or 3, don't remember), allow you to do, with updated character portraits and stuff.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Mass Effect, TLoU, BG3.

Killer7 - I hope this game holds up, I need to try the Steam version at some point
Nier on PS360 - yes, intended or not, the ugly dad character only adds to the atmosphere, I wanna hear nothing of the remake
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - ingenious storytelling that's only possible in games, even if the story itself has some animu cliches
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door - just witty and fun

Fbh

Probably Mass Effect
co2k5h.jpg

The actual plot is far from perfect, but I just loved the characters and world. Bioware created a whole new Sci Fi universe with interesting tech, alien races, cultures and backstories that IMO can easily stand next to the likes of Star Wars, and I don't think we've seen anything quite like it since.

In gaming I tend to gravitate towards stories that take advantage of the nature of games for their storytelling (Yoko Taro is great at it too, and I'd say Nier Automata is my close runner up). Sure, the decisions we took didn't end up having much of an effect in shaping the overall plot, but they still gave us tons of interactions with our crew and unique outcomes to some of their stories and our relationships with them, and that has made them way more memorable to me than the cast of any Sci Fi movie. Han Solo and Luke are cool, bu they aren't my boy Garrus

Stamps1646

• Lunar: Silver Star Story / Complete
  • Lunar: Eternal Blue / Complete
  • The Dig
  • Suikoden 2
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  • Mass Effect Trilogy
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Bioshock & 2
  • Portal 2
  • Bastion
  • The Last of Us
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening
  • Journey
  • Persona 4: Golden
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • Tales from the Borderlands
  • SOMA
  • The Witcher III: Wild Hunt + Heart of Stone + Blood and Wine
  • Firewatch
  • Yakuza 0
  • Nier: Automata
  • Night in the Woods
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • God of War *18
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  • The Last of Us: Part II
  • Hades
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  • Yakuza: Infinite Wealth

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Final Fantasy 7 & 9.
Nier
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
El Shaddai
Chrono Trigger
Bloodborne
Dead Space
The Sinking City
Ys 7: Lacrimosa of Dana
Tales of Symphonia
Sekiro
Shenmue 1 & 2
Alundra
Parasite Eve
Deadly Premonition
The Last of Us 1 & 2
Suikoden 1 & 2
The Witcher 3

And a great deal of others. Too many to count.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
In no particular order.

• The Last of Us Part 1&2
  • Detroit Become Human
  • Beyond Two Souls
  • Read Dead Redemption 1&2
  • Mass Effect
  • Grand Theft Auto 4
  • Life is Strange
  • Life is Strange: Before the Storm
  • Final Fantasy 7
  • The Last Gaurdian
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • L.A Noire
  • Bioshock
  • Gaurdians of the Galaxy

Last edited:
Damn, I thought this was dedicated to personal stories. I was gonna say that my favorite was from a Gaffer who said he legit shit his pants when playing a game, thought it was a fart and then the floodgates opened, lmao.

OT though. Too many to list but Mass Effect 1 for sure. The film noir/mystery aspect hits every time.

OG Resident Evil 1-3 for sure. What a good trilogy, RE2 takes the cake for the best in the series but I have a fondness for RE1. The voice acting is goofy for sure but the whole idea of being separated from Alpha Team, and then watching Bravo Team die or stumbling on their corpses. True survival horror.

Organ Quarter in VR is up there as well. Man the story is delivered so incredibly well through cryptic yet brilliant voice acting and files you come across. It's an indie love letter to PSX-era Survival Horror. The ending is so good. The way the game comes to a close and how the credits appear, it's timed perfectly to when the beat in the final song drops and it leaves you with a feeling of hope for the character you play as. It's so damn good.

Last edited:

The_hunter

I like Platinum games' stories. It's all about having fun and cool action scenes.

I also like old Bioware games.

Last edited:

jonnyp

The Last of Us Part 1
RDR
RDR 2
Mass Effect 1 & 2
Pretty much all of the classic Lucasarts point & click adventure games
Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers.

Humdinger

I'm with you, OP. I have only thought a few videogame stories were genuinely good. I would nominate Mass Effect, The Last of Us, Kotor, Uncharted 2, and just for perversity's sake, Deadly Premonition.

NieR
NieR Automata
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy X
Bloodborne
Elden Ring
Halo (original trilogy and Reach)
Steins;Gate
Disco Elysium
MGS 1 to 4
Resident Evil 1
Silent Hill 2
The Wolf Among Us

IAmRei

- Xenoblades series comes in my mind, grandscale lore spanning time and spaces, very awesome and emotional for sometimes

- BoTW, the story my bit simple, but the execution, and also mipha, the story is awesome as well

- Dragons Dogma series, simple premise, but again, the execution are immersive

- FF Tactic, the best FF IMO, very mature yet not too edgy and also still have fantasy in kind

- FF 9, interstellar war between two planets, dying soul as energy for air ship, living magic dolls, natural romances, quite mature story, dang, awesome games

- Halo series, what else to say, one of the best lore and story for me, i like the spanning million years for the story which reminds me to:

- Metroid series, the best scifi for me, the danger of tinkering with nature, are nailed so hard here

There should be more, but yeah, im barely ups in this morning here...

Flabagast

From oldest to newest, my favourite stories in games

Planescape: Torment
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Mafia: City of Lost Heaven
Mass Effect Trilogy
Witcher 2
Sleeping Dogs
Witcher 3 + Expansions
Enderal: Forgotten Stories
Nier Automata
Kingdom Come Deliverance