• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season Two, Part One - Sundays on AMC

Mega

Banned
I don't think it matters if you know it's the apocalypse or not. The point being is that you know you are in unsafe times and all your instincts tell you that you need to be careful. This happens in real life all the time, whether its a citywide blackout in NY or Katrina in New Orleans or riots in the LA area. People become more vigilant, hyper-aware of danger and their surroundings, of strangers. The FTWD characters hardly act like humans in dire situations.

Kids are taught from an early age to avoid dangers (fire, traffic, violence) and yet Nick swims deeper into zombie infested waters when he's weak from years of drug abuse and barely knows how to fight off zombies. Kids are taught to be wary of strangers and Alicia devolves into a dunce when it is excruciatingly obvious (without the audience's hindsight and greater overall knowledge) that the guy on the other side is being very creepy and intrusive with his questioning. On a confined space (the boat), the adults leave the kids unsupervised and don't notice she's on the radio talking to God knows who for possibly hours. AFTER they learn what she's up to, they still do NOTHING! No one confiscates the radio and interrogates the inquisitive stranger! If the parents are a bunch of lazy shits, okay. But Strand wouldn't take it from her?

Come on, this is so ridiculous. Our suspension of disbelief extends to the zombie apocalypse, not towards believable human behavior and survival instinct. Against all logic, the show is forcing this meeting between the group and the strangers on the radio. It's been thought out and written in a terrible manner. Again, I don't have any trouble with making mistakes and landing yourself in outlandish situations if it's conceptualized in an intelligent manner that doesn't involve treating the audience like it's stupid and inattentive. Example - a chemistry teacher getting mixed up in illegal drug dealing and meeting with cartel and regional drug kingpins.

edit: I remember a series of comics titled "If Breaking Bad had the writers of Dexter"... I'd like to see "If Breaking Bad had the writers of Fear/The Walking Dead."

http://imgur.com/gallery/b8c8J

Surfinn

I don't think it matters if you know it's the apocalypse or not. The point being is that you know you are in unsafe times and all your instincts tell you that you need to be careful. This happens in real life all the time, whether its a citywide blackout in NY or Katrina in New Orleans or riots in the LA area. People become more vigilant, hyper-aware of danger and their surroundings, of strangers. The FTWD characters hardly act like humans in dire situations.

Kids are taught from an early age to avoid dangers (fire, traffic, violence) and yet Nick swims deeper into zombie infested waters when he's weak from years of drug abuse and barely knows how to fight off zombies. Kids are taught to be wary of strangers and Alicia devolves into a dunce when it is excruciatingly obvious (without the audience's hindsight and greater overall knowledge) that the guy on the other side is being very creepy and intrusive with his questioning. On a confined space (the boat), the adults leave the kids unsupervised and don't notice she's on the radio talking to God knows who for possibly hours. AFTER they learn what she's up to, they still do NOTHING! No one confiscates the radio and interrogates the inquisitive stranger! If the parents are a bunch of lazy shits, okay. But Strand wouldn't take it from her?

Come on, this is so ridiculous. Our suspension of disbelief extends to the zombie apocalypse, not towards believable human behavior and survival instinct. Against all logic, the show is forcing this meeting between the group and the strangers on the radio. It's been thought out and written in a terrible manner. Again, I don't have any trouble with making mistakes and landing yourself in outlandish situations if it's conceptualized in an intelligent manner that doesn't involve treating the audience like it's stupid and inattentive. Example - a chemistry teacher getting mixed up in illegal drug dealing and meeting with cartel and regional drug kingpins.

The radio thing was so stupid. Strand seriously doesn't take it away from her? I watched with my GF and said out loud.. IS NO ONE GOING TO TAKE IT?!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
However, jumping into the water to "go for a swim", fully clothed, while a capsized boat conveniently floats by its just downright shitty writing. It's poor cause and effect.

I thought Chris jumped in the ocean in, like, a moment of despair and when Nick jumped in after him, he quickly read the situation and told everyone that they "were just going for a swim" to cover for Chris.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Alicia stuff isn't all that bizarre. Kids are taught to be wary of strangers, but we have a tendency of putting this idea in people's heads of what a dangerous person looks like. Alicia thought the guy on the other end of the radio was someone around her age, in a similar situation. It's the same as being catfished, less so even because you can at least hear the voice. It's not some outlandish concept.

Nick swimming to the yacht was dumb. But they didn't just decide to go for a swim. The other kid was trying to commit suicide. Nick covered for him because he got what was going on.

I dig the show... The pacing is a bit slow at times, but its a nice refreshing look from the original series.

I am curious about the guy that owns the boat.... why would he save them? Why not just himself?

Bandini

I dig the show... The pacing is a bit slow at times, but its a nice refreshing look from the original series.

I am curious about the guy that owns the boat.... why would he save them? Why not just himself?

Safety in numbers, probably. Easier to defend a high value target with a bunch of nieve suckers on your side. I think he still sees them as a potential threat (thus why he's not sleeping) but the risk is low enough to roll with it.

Also it seems like he sees real value in Nick, he may think that after he's hardened up a bit he could be a strong asset.

My main takeaway from the premiere is that Chris continues to be annoying as hell and I would be very pleased if a zombie bit him in the nuts.

Geist-

I was really hoping maybe FTWD could have been better than the main series, that maybe getting away from the comics might let the writers make a better story (the comics are great, but the translation into Tv is lacking). But no, characters are still stupid, writing still bad. Also the characters aren't just stupid, but really unlikeable. They're basically the villains of any other zombie movie. It would have been better if they just went straight bad guys for the rest of the show.

Even the boat-based apocalypse setting has been done better on The Last Ship and that has many of its own problems.

I'm so sad now. I hope AMC doesn't ruin Preacher too.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I was really hoping maybe FTWD could have been better than the main series, that maybe getting away from the comics might let the writers make a better story (the comics are great, but the translation into Tv is lacking). But no, characters are still stupid, writing still bad. Also the characters aren't just stupid, but really unlikeable. They're basically the villains of any other zombie movie. It would have been better if they just went straight bad guys for the rest of the show.

Even the boat-based apocalypse setting has been done better on The Last Ship and that has many of its own problems.

I'm so sad now. I hope AMC doesn't ruin Preacher too.

Honestly, you probably need to give the show more of a chance, it was only the first episode of Season 2. Also the comics are pretty bad, the show is much better in a lot of ways.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Agreed. It's why the constant criticism of shows like this is immensely annoying. The viewer has the benefit of hindsight via an entire other show to know that things are not going to improve, so they juxtapose that knowledge on characters who have no such advantage.

Simply put, none of the characters in this show know definitively that things won't improve. Strand and the older latino gentleman are highly pessimistic, but they are the only ones. They also have the benefit of age behind them - almost half the surviving casts are teenagers and young adults, and teenagers are almost always know it all idiots.

Asking Strand to take on the survivors is not dumb. It's human. The girl forming the relationship over the radio? Incredibly naive, but not out the realm of believability. Why WOULDN'T she do that?

When the other person is clumsily fishing for info that will let them triangulate your position then it's dumb, especially when you have something incredibly valuable in that situation like desalination equipment.

Geist-

Honestly, you probably need to give the show more of a chance, it was only the first episode of Season 2. Also the comics are pretty bad, the show is much better in a lot of ways.

Maybe that's the reason why we have differing opinions.

As far as giving it another chance, maybe I'll check out the 2nd episode, but I wasn't a big fan of the first season and watching that first episode is just telling me that they haven't learned anything.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That was not a good first episode, unfortunately.

FTWD, please get better.

Tankard

Just finally watched the episode, boy was that horrible. The premise of the first season was great, but i don't think i need to keep watching it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

We All Fall Down

The group seeks shelter with a survivalist family; and Madison tries to uncover the family's true motives. Meanwhile, Salazar works to discover Strand's intentions.

The guest stars on tonight's Talking Dead are:

Kim Dickens (Madison)
Lou Diamond Phillips (actor)
Lyndie Greenwood (actor)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll give this episode a chance to see if I should watch the rest of the season. If it's just as bad as the last episode and the previous season, not even Daniel can keep me watching.

Somnia

Yo that scene with her rising out of the ocean was bad ass.

Say what you want about this show sometimes, but it knows how to shoot an awesome shot. Like that scene with LA on fire in the opening last week.

Lol that slingshot....

FTWD-202-SS-02-img-2309ghelkfh4.jpg

Top Bottom