• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season Two, Part One - Sundays on AMC

SamuraiX-

Damn, I wish we could retroactively recast Tyreese in TWD with Colman Domingo.

He was rocking the FUCK outta that jacket and beanie this episode.

What could've been. ;_;

Premiere was pretty good. Definitely feels like a different taste of the apocalypse out on the water. I'm loving the design/layout of Strand's boat. It set up some interesting future plot points and that preview of the first half of the season looks promising.

What Alicia did was so dumb, but, it's barely episode 1 of season 2. I think it's a bit unfair to expect these characters to already be as hardened and adapted as the ones in TWD. The apocalypse has only just started for them.

They pretty much have to go through some difficult learning experiences to become stronger characters (Daniel already went through them in his home country. Strand I have no idea, he comes across as a sociopath to me which probably helps him survive, since he has no emotional baggage). Alicia is about to have a hard lesson in being too trusting. Unfortunately for them, some people are probably going to have to die first.

Of course, the characters in TWD's last season still did stupid things constantly, even though they know better already. So maybe the characters in FTWD will remain just as brainless too. I'm going to give them a chance, at least. There's still time for them to right this ship.

Actually liked the start of the season i expect it to get alot better I overall liked Season 1 and nothing can be as bad as TWD's 2nd season I mean lol.

someday

Banned
Well, I found that utterly frustrating. I hate every character except Strand and maybe Daniel a little. Nick isn't deep, Alicia is a fucking moron, Chris is understandable but still uninteresting, Travis and Maddie could be cardboard, and Ofelia was non-existent. I don't like the idea that they are even thinking about kicking Strand off his own damned boat and wtf was Nick thinking he heard in that wreckage? Honestly, kill off everyone but Strand and Daniel and find a completely new set of characters. Hopefully the Asian woman from that dumb flight will add some much needed sense to these fools.

I'm entertained. A very good sense of foreboding. Yeah, the characters, except Victor Strand, are randomly stupid so they can be easy to kill off if need be. Strand is like Lebron on the Cavs, gotta score 45/15/10 if he wants to win (survive) with no help from his teammates.

Strange how they did not have a little tour around the yacht to at least give the audience an idea of the place. If this is the place a large part of the season takes place in you need to know what is where so when a thing goes wrong or breaks down you at least know what it is. Alicia did mention the water desalination equipment which is probably the most crucial thing there is.

I'm kind of suprised the show just started with the city being bombed and half the group on the boat already. Like in media res opening can be cool, but I think the episode would have benefited from a bit of build-up to getting on the boat. Especially if the boat is going to be a big part of the season; you'd think they'd want to give a sense of the size and layout.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't know, I think the boat setting is interesting enough for at least a half season's worth of episodes. People are always asking "why don't the survivors go find a boat and sail away from the zombies" and now we finally have a show that's just that.

speaking of which, can't believe AMC is going head to head with the big dog. Hopefully this shows up on Hulu quick

(more people watched Fear the Walking Dead season 1 live+sd than Game of Thrones season 5 l+sd)

GavinGT

Banned
I really liked it. For whatever reason, this show is more my speed than TWD. There were a couple dumb character decisions, but nothing too major.

Also, I guess it should be obvious, but the plane from the special probably went down on the water. So we'll inevitably encounter the Asian lady on the life raft, and Strand will be pissed off about taking her on.

Angry Fork

I like a few of the characters on the show so I'll keep watching but it's lame that the whole season will probably be at sea/on boats. I just hate that setting.

I do think the show will still have issues og walking dead has though which is characters that are really annoying or irrational bringing down the smart rational ones. I get that you have to have drama but I just don't want forced drama due to dumb decisions. The show still has time to be better than og walking dead though so we'll see.

I don't think the girl talking to Jack on the radio was bad. This is JUST as the apocalypse is coming, people are still going to be largely trustful of others and not immediately assume nefarious intentions from every angle. This new crew still has to learn some of that stuff through various experiences. I think a lot of people in real life would do that in the beginning or maybe try to help those stranded people on the boat.

I can already tell the kid whose mother died will be a moron though. He's displaying a lot of the emo irrational symptoms characters on og walking dead have where they can't assess the situation logically they have to whine and moan about how bad things are and bla bla.

I'm hoping that once we get into these characters a bit more, the show will feel less bland to me. As it stands, Strand is the most interesting; which isn't a problem, but the ratio of interesting characters versus dull isn't great.

Also, Talking Dead just doesn't feel right when we're not continuing the discussion about the Saviors and fucking Negan.

antonz

Madison continues to jump around personality wise. Last Season she became the cold fuck everyone else even her own neighbors and suddenly she is the we need to help random strangers over the course of 1 episode. No reason for the change or anything

Angry Fork

Madison continues to jump around personality wise. Last Season she became the cold fuck everyone else even her own neighbors and suddenly she is the we need to help random strangers over the course of 1 episode. No reason for the change or anything

I agree, I don't like that change. She was much harder than her husband who was the more caring one, the roles seem to have reversed for some reason.

UberTag

I feel like this is being set up as the opposite of TWD; instead of being sad when a main character dies, we are being set up to be happy when it finally happens since everyone is so dumb and unlikable.
Speak for yourself... I want most of the people in the TWD cast to die, too.

Ovid

What Alicia did was so dumb, but, it's barely episode 1 of season 2. I think it's a bit unfair to expect these characters to already be as hardened and adapted as the ones in TWD. The apocalypse has only just started for them.
IMO, that's not an excuse. Society has been acting belligerent for a while now. Remember when they were holded up in that store?

IMO, that's not an excuse. Society has been acting belligerent for a while now. Remember when they were holded up in that store?

She was sitting at home playing board games when that happened. She hasn't really experienced any "humans are the real threat" moments yet.

She was sitting at home playing board games when that happened. She hasn't really experienced any "humans are the real threat" moments yet.

Which is a very good reason not to give her or anyone else aboard a radio that can give away their position to people with a fast boat, guns and a radio direction finder. Like 99% of the artificial drama in series like these it could have been avoided by everyone staying together and talking to each other instead of leaving them alone.

They pretty much have to go through some difficult learning experiences to become stronger characters (Daniel already went through them in his home country. Strand I have no idea, he comes across as a sociopath to me which probably helps him survive, since he has no emotional baggage). Alicia is about to have a hard lesson in being too trusting. Unfortunately for them, some people are probably going to have to die first.

Of course, the characters in TWD's last season still did stupid things constantly, even though they know better already. So maybe the characters in FTWD will remain just as brainless too. I'm going to give them a chance, at least. There's still time for them to right this ship.

I totally agree. The whole point of the show is to let the viewer see how the world and the people in it grow and change in light of the zombie apocalypse. Everyone on the show (except for Daniel) is totally inexperienced with survival tactics, and it's expected that they're going to fuck up along the way.

Overall I thought it was a good episode; I didn't really understand why Nick swam out to the other boat and all he grabbed was a log book, but whatever. It was pretty obvious those people got screwed over by raiders or something. There's no need to check their notes.

I don't like Strand at all.

so apparently i missed S1 finale? i thought i was caught up then i saw the catchup intro for S2 episode and was like wait. i never saw that. guess i gotta to finish S1 first now lo

Moofers

I thought the premiere was okay. The beginning on the beach seemed rough. The walkers closing in just seemed corny. The rest of the episode was alright though.

Still not a lot of characters on the show that I like but its getting better. I like Alicia and totally understand her being on the radio. She's a kid, she doesn't understand that this whole situation could be permanent and that people are going to be cutting throats for a pair of shoes in the future. The whole pirate angle is really interesting to me and I look forward to seeing where it goes.

Strand is still the best character on the show, but I don't always like him. They obviously don't want us to completely trust him and they've nailed that so far, but at the same time he is really the most practical one in the group. If I were on the boat, I'd be aligned with him for sure, but I'd never be able to escape the idea that he might turn on me at any moment. I guess that's why his character is the exciting one.

Daniel is still likeable. I appreciate his fatherly advice moments.

I want to like Maddie but it seems like they're changing her up a bit this season. I don't want to see her suddenly go soft but if they don't overdo it, I could see the rescue boat they passed up being an understandable moment.

The rest of the cast is pretty throwaway at this point with Nick being the one I hope will die soon but of course he'll outlive even Strand, I'm sure. I am not the type of viewer to root for somebody's death, but Nick is just so fucking unlikeable to me that I don't know what else to do when he's on screen.

I'll keep up with the show, I think. I just watched the Flight 426 thing or whatever its called and I agree with the people who want to see the Asian lady join this show.

Arkeband

Banned
The Walking Dead: People doing inexplicably dumb shit in the woods

Fear The Walking Dead: People doing inexplicably dumb shit on a boat

I don't know what I expected.

Catdaddy

This is starting off weird/slow, I mean there isn’t a lot to do on a boat except for some type of character development and they really aren’t doing that. I’ll stick around cause there at least a couple of characters I like, but once GoT starts back up, this one will be going into the DVR.

It was okay. Definitely a dropoff from last season. And some silly writing. Hey, let's go swimming like we're on vacation as opposed to the end of the world, and let's just happen to run into a sunken ship and swimming zombies within minutes of doing so. And man was Alicia dumb. Like that didn't smell like a trap from the start.

Top Bottom