• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
There's one thing they can do. You know.. Not have shitty booking.

That doesn't excuse Punk walking out out of the blue at all. Also, still nothing WWE can do about it, guy isn't even taking their calls and is ignoring their text. He left, he chose to do it and no amount of chanting for CM Punk during Daniel Bryan matches is going to change that. It's silly and makes no sense. Chant for the people that are there and can be helped with your support, not the guy that packed up his shit and walked.

Kyoufu

That doesn't excuse Punk walking out out of the blue at all. Also, still nothing WWE can do about it, guy isn't even taking their calls and is ignoring their text. He left, he chose to do it and no amount of chanting for CM Punk during Daniel Bryan matches is going to change that. It's silly and makes no sense. Chant for the people that are there and can be helped with your support, not the guy that packed up his shit and walked.

Yeah I agree. Punk has gone and that's the end of that. Time to move on.

But I hope they look at why he left and really analyse it. Of course, it's WWE and they won't. Triple H/Vince are completely oblivious.

Jamie OD

Just heard an explanation for the Barrett/Lawler segment from Raw on an F4W radio show and boy does it come off stupid. Essentially, February is American Heart Month and this whole angle is meant to advertise it by having Lawler eventually standing up for the people Barrett constantly insults about their unhealthy habits. Problem is, at least according to the source, the segment didn't go the way it was planned for some reason. Don't know if either Barrett or Lawler skipped their lines, if it was just bad acting or people misunderstood the script but the segment became a flop.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just heard an explanation for the Barrett/Lawler segment from Raw on an F4W radio show and boy does it come off stupid. Essentially, February is American Heart Month and this whole angle is meant to advertise it by having Lawler eventually standing up for the people Barrett constantly insults about their unhealthy habits. Problem is, at least according to the source, the segment didn't go the way it was planned for some reason. Don't know if either Barrett or Lawler skipped their lines, if it was just bad acting or people misunderstood the script but the segment became a flop.

Totally called this yesterday!

Honestly, I think they fed him a line and he just completely blanked on it and improvised this one.

Cole pretending like it was super funny makes me think King was supposed to tell him off with a joke.

strobogo

Banned
Platz really bothered me during the 1992 show. The big thing was it was steroid free and everyone was natural. This definitely meant the guys were on stuff the prior year, but as Vince would say they were all natural this year, Platz would say how they looked smaller, softer, or just a general "not as good" as last year. Sending mixed signals. Vince should have pulled him aside during one of the videos and told him to get on the fucking message. Also, no fucking way were these dudes all natty. And I'm pretty sure the fix was in for Strydom.

ibpBz6TfHOWfhO.gif
ibqLKfAq8z3Jtd.gif
ibr4COVhoQvojO.gif
inDRPOcyt6AP0.gif
iwwudq0cLHXA9.gif
iUeCEkGr12dTM.gif

I'll be putting up a Vince sound board later. Probably do just a montage for Youtube and then an actual sound board like the WCW one. I would 100% watch a new WBF as long as Vince was on commentary.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I watched Lex's timeline shoot, and he mentioned he was able to use his no compete clause from WCW to bulk up and SWEARS he was natural. He said he lived, breathed, and ate strictly to get to the point he was when WBF was coming around and he was being groomed to be a crossover star, which was definitely their plan. I remember as a kid seeing WBF Bodystars and wondering why they never wrestle, thinking they'd be REALLY good at it due to all the muscle.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
And lol at King forgetting his lines. The E isin shambles.

Naw, King's been doing that for YEARS.

That said, I still don't know if I buy the story that the segment got weird. It reads straight from Lawler's book on How To Put People Down.

Marvel

could never
He's not quitting brah. That was just a stupid rumor yesterday so GAF can get more page clicks.

Fuck. was hoping he'd fuck off soon. Nodq is reporting it too for what it's worth.

And I mean no disrespect to King but my god... I wish he'd retire now. Terrible commentary over the past what decade? awful. Not only that but he keeps saying he's never seen a signature move before that we all have seen many times.

Makes my blood boil.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Del Rio is legit great. Be mad at his booking, not his ringwork or his promos, because they're both fantastic.

Am I crazy for wanting Bryan to wrestle 3 times at Mania? Once against HHH to get into a later money in bank match, the money in the bank match, and cashing it in against the winner of Orton/Batista?

Sephzilla

I think it's more a combination of fans wanting Punk back plus Punks kind of become the rallying figure for some of the bullshit that's been going on with WWE lately. I'm still a believer that non-smark fans are smarter than WWE gives them credit for, and it's not like they didn't watch Punk get his momentum killed by Nash/HHH, then watch Ziggler get buried, and Ryder get buried, and we've been watching WWE try to get Bryan's YES momentum onto other people multiple times.

jred2k

Was the WBF supposed to be competition to American Gladiators? I get some real American Gladiator vibes from the set, but that might have just been the way everything looked in the early 90s.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's been too long man. He has been awful ever since. A lot of guys buried him along the way too.

He should take time off then come back repackaged. Worked for Husky Harris.

What strikes me as strange is Sheamus got NO adjustment at all.

Was the WBF supposed to be competition to American Gladiators? I get some real American Gladiator vibes from the set, but that might have just been the way everything looked in the early 90s.

I think it was just the idea of 90s athletes.

They botched Del Rio's rich guy gimmick so bad. He only had two outlets to show how rich he was; his cars (which Cena exposed as being rented) and his manservant. Now, bullying Ricardo would've been a good way to go, but for the most part it was other people (faces, no less) bullying Ricardo, while Del Rio often appeared generally concerned about him. They really should have gone all out with the rich guy stuff, having him buying the allegiance of other heels to do his dirty work, buying the affections of the heel divas, paying off authority figures to look the other way and, most of all, being a huge, huge asshole to Ricardo.

Xater

Platz really bothered me during the 1992 show. The big thing was it was steroid free and everyone was natural. This definitely meant the guys were on stuff the prior year, but as Vince would say they were all natural this year, Platz would say how they looked smaller, softer, or just a general "not as good" as last year. Sending mixed signals. Vince should have pulled him aside during one of the videos and told him to get on the fucking message. Also, no fucking way were these dudes all natty. And I'm pretty sure the fix was in for Strydom.

Man I wish I could remember which episode of OSW review had the Rick Martel comparison picture of him on and off steroids.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
They botched Del Rio's rich guy gimmick so bad. He only had two outlets to show how rich he was; his cars (which Cena exposed as being rented) and his manservant. Now, bullying Ricardo would've been a good way to go, but for the most part it was other people (faces, no less) bullying Ricardo, while Del Rio often appeared generally concerned about him. They really should have gone all out with the rich guy stuff, having him buying the allegiance of other heels to do his dirty work, buying the affections of the heel divas, paying off authority figures to look the other way and, most of all, being a huge, huge asshole to Ricardo.

Yeah, his concern for Ricardo worked against him. Feh.

Boots you not likin this WBF renaissance? :(

Like how Tensai treated Sakamoto.

jmdajr

Del Rio peaked too quickly. What else can achieve at this point? He's won everything and been both HEEL and FACE. He would need a drastic character change to do anything interesting.

FyreWulff

I will never get why they shat on Del Rio's gimmick.

And it's a shame they never use the rich guy gimmick to it's fullest. Ted DiBiase Jr would have had an actual character if they just let him be a full on trust-fund brat, buy out matches, etc. A rich shitlord would have been EASY to get heat on during the whole Occupy Wallstreet stuff

Heel

Alberto Del Rio has reportedly been letting it be know that once his contract with WWE is up, he will be leaving the company.

According to PWInsider, Del Rio hasn't been happy with the direction of his character. He was once a main event player on the SmackDown brand as a World Champion, and now he is being fed to Batista.

While the match between the two hasn't been officially announced, Batista vs. Del Rio will likely be added to the upcoming Elimination Chamber pay-per-view event.

Del Rio is 36-years-old and has several years of mileage on him. It’s believed that he’s been very good with his money and shouldn't be in any financial trouble once he departs from the organization.

jZqcaiGY0pKMe.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Del Rio coming back to MMA would be nice but he'll get smushed. Too many years of WWE will do that to your mind.

He's not quitting brah. That was just a stupid rumor yesterday so GAF can get more page clicks.

He's not staying long. Either he walks soon, or he doesn't re-sign his contract soon. Either way, he's gone this year. I know you're upset about your hero sucking and leaving, but look on the bright side. Miz is sticking around.

PWInsider said:
We noted before that major WrestleMania XXX creative meetings were held over the past week with several discussions changed. While many different scenarios were brought up, at least one source in WWE creative told PWInsider that they doesn't expect a lot of changes will be made.
While it may appear they are going in the direction of Kane vs. Daniel Bryan after this week's TV shows, the source didn't expect Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan to be changed. Regarding that match, nobody within WWE expects Bryan to go over.

hahhahahahaha

Aiii

So not worth it
They've been acknowlodging ROH for a while now in articles about the WWE Indy talent, I guess you can blame Joey Styles for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom