• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Did somebody not get what they wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Does Omaha, Nebraska have a good crowd usually? Those Midwestern cities seem like a bit of a mixed bag. At least it should be better than Cleveland.

It near sold out last time when Seattle was struggling to fill the arena for a pay-per-view just weeks before. It's a wrestling town.. but it still depends on who shows up.

edit: our arena was bigger than the one they were using in Seattle

Pro wrestling confession - I prefer current Batista's look over his prime incarnation. He looks more athletic even though he isn't and even though he's dressing like a 20 year old Armenian douchebag.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pro wrestling confession - I prefer current Batista's look over his prime incarnation. He looks more athletic even though he isn't and even though he's dressing like a 20 year old Armenian douchebag.

Whaaaat

Give me MASSIVE Batista, and either a soul patch or scruff.

jred2k

Part of me actually wonders if the WWE don't want people to get too big. However, almost everything they do is to create the illusion that the WWE is where big stars want to be. In terms of both the sports and entertainment industries, the WWE has a pretty low ceiling. I think there is a limit, at least right now, of how popular you can be in the mainstream while remaining a wrestler. To have any real popularity and earning power in the broad entertainment industry you would have to leave the WWE.

Vince probably makes way more money off of Cena by selling shirts and hats every week than if he had become successful in Hollywood. There is the possibility than Cena had those opportunities and didn't take them because he enjoys wrestling, but that wouldn't be the case for every star they build. For instance, if Miz actually had charisma as was able to become the crossover star they seem to want there is no chance he'd still be around. Then there are guys like Lashley they can invest resources in to who then thinks they can make it on their own and they can't. That means Vince ends up with no more star in the company and they can't even bring eyes back to the product with them.

Its a weird catch-22 where they have to build stars, but they can't let them become too big or they'll become a stepping stone, and that makes the WWE look small and shitty. Its could be a scary risk for Vince to invest a bunch of money in creating a star who then leaves and then, if they come back, hes going to have to dish out even more to entice them.

I don't think they would intentionally damage a person's crossover appeal, so it probably just comes down to them being completely incompetent at creating new stars. I think they get too focused on the idea of building a star celebrity, instead of building a star wrestler who can become a star celebrity.

Its a longer, more rambling post than I meant to make, but I think it expresses my point. Its easy for them to just keep pushing whats safe and makes money in the wrestling world because the past decade has been littered with failures or guys who got big in spite of the WWE and not because of it.

Maybe some people in this thread with kids could elaborate a bit on what either interests or disinterests they're kids about wrestling. The data from WWE focus testing meetings, if they do such a thing, would be incredible to take a look at. We're so starved for information now hat we try and take quarter-hour ratings to mean anything.

darkbanjo

Ryback has such potential for the WWE Network. If they can get past the idea of programming being 3 hour events or 30-60 minute shows and have some sort of rolling 'channel' where it's just interviews and vines and youtube videos being played on a loop, there's a ton of scope for stuff like this to flesh out wrestlers' characters without it having to be as forced as a promo on Raw. Not that it would replace that, but I think it could be a really fresh way of supplementing it.

jred2k

I might have jumped the gun somewhat. Just seems like a whole lot of people without Archie avatars posting right now.
The people who participated must all be too ashamed to post because they're getting drowned out by the non-team players who didn't participate in the first place.

The window for entry in to that Ramble was very small. There are probably a lot of lurkers or semi-regulars that got in. I think quite a few people also just didn't enter cause they didn't want to have to switch.

Vince should re-post the entry list, then you can go through profiles and find out who's slacking. Be the snitch you can be, UberTag.

Can someone put Enzo on the other corner of my avatar? And maybe add SAWFT SWERVE?

You just gave Enzo the name of the ice cream shoppe he will open after he retires from wrestling.

UberTag

The window for entry in to that Ramble was very small. There are probably a lot of lurkers or semi-regulars that got in. I think quite a few people also just didn't enter cause they didn't want to have to switch.

Vince should re-post the entry list, then you can go through profiles and find out who's slacking. Be the snitch you can be, UberTag.
I know Speedy Blue Dude still hasn't switched over to an Archie avatar. He's posting regularly so it's not like he hasn't had time to think about it.

+1 call out these people, they need to be shamed

I'm confused. Is the Archibald Peck era already over?
I see a bunch of people already switching back to their main avatars.
I thought we were keeping this up for an entire month - not just a little over a week.

I thought it was for a full month, so I'm sticking with mine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I know Speedy Blue Dude still hasn't switched over to an Archie avatar. He's posting regularly so it's not like he hasn't had time to think about it.

On it. Thanks for noticing it. A Ramble ain't a Ramble if there's no risk. And that fucker put the Miz in.

mrboo001

Banned

I am one of those people who don't post every often. I sometimes think maybe I shouldn't enter this so someone more regular can but I do find it fun to do so.

EDIT: Oh ya, anyone who was part of the Rumble but didn't change avatars yet deserves to be called out.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also goddamn that Polygon feature on Street Fighter 2 is bananas great. I hate Polygon but they sure can do some great stuff. Bums me out that it took the dude almost a year to write it and I read it in 15 mins, but it's great.

I remember the first time I even saw SF2, I was a kid at a mini golf place, and I walked through the arcade and saw it being played. Ken's stage. Saw fireballs going back and forth and as a little kid thinking "that doesn't look fun, they can just throw fireballs? all day?"

A far cry from my zoning tactics I employ today in ssf4 with Dhalsim. Oh, how weird I turned out!

I am one of those people who don't post every often. I sometimes think maybe I shouldn't enter this so someone more regular can but I do find it fun to do so.

All are welcome!

Sokantish

I might have jumped the gun somewhat. Just seems like a whole lot of people without Archie avatars posting right now.
The people who participated must all be too ashamed to post because they're getting drowned out by the non-team players who didn't participate in the first place.

I can't abandon Bo, it wouldn't be right.

My prediction for RAW.

Nothing happens.

Creative doesn't know what the hell to do so they will kick the ball forward another week with some basic development on things that wont effect WM.

My prediction for the WM title match.

Somehow ether Triple H, Cena or both end in the title match.

jred2k

EDIT: Oh ya, anyone who was part of the Rumble but didn't change avatars yet deserves to be called out.

I didn't mean that. I was just giving a reason why non-Archie avatars seemed so prominent in the thread. You just need to post more and share that beautiful face with everyone.

Edit: I just realized I really wish Linda had won one of her elections. We maybe could have gotten a match where her senate seat was on a pole or hanging above the match waiting to be grabbed from a ladder.

Who actually picked Archie? Gallant, wasn't it? I think Matthew Gallant is Archibald Peck - Archie & 3.0 used the DeLorean to escape Parts Unknown and go back in time, where Archie entered himself in the 2014 WrassleGAF Avatar Rumble with his alias Matthew Gallant. Archie won the Rumble, giving us all a timely clue about the impending return of CHIKARA at National Pro-Wrestling day. However, Archie was not done yet, travelling forwards in time and appearing at the vital moment to come to CHIKARA's aid and save the CHIKARAverse. Then, to throw us off the scent, he travelled back in time once more, logged on to NeoGAF with his Matthew Gallant account and posted about himself during the live stream of National Pro-Wrestling Day, thus giving the Gallant alias an almost-foolproof alibi, if only you disregard Archie's ability to create a fully functional Flux Capacitor. Also, Matthew Gallant is an anagram of Magnet That Wall. I don't know what it means (yet) but I'm sure it means something

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Who actually picked Archie? Gallant, wasn't it? I think Matthew Gallant is Archibald Peck - Archie & 3.0 used the DeLorean to escape Parts Unknown and go back in time, where Archie entered himself in the 2014 WrassleGAF Avatar Rumble with his alias Matthew Gallant. Archie won the Rumble, giving us all a timely clue about the impending return of CHIKARA at National Pro-Wrestling day. However, Archie was not done yet, travelling forwards in time and appearing at the vital moment to come to CHIKARA's aid and save the CHIKARAverse. Then, to throw us off the scent, he travelled back in time once more, logged on to NeoGAF with his Matthew Gallant account and posted about himself during the live stream of National Pro-Wrestling Day, thus giving the Gallant alias an almost-foolproof alibi, if only you disregard Archie's ability to create a fully functional Flux Capacitor. Also, Matthew Gallant is an anagram of Magnet That Wall. I don't know what it means (yet) but I'm sure it means something
This sounds like a CHIKARA storyline

Aiii

So not worth it
I wonder how hard they'll bury AJ tonight.

They could go traditional and have her drop her title in 30 seconds with a roll-up from Naomi after eating a superkick by Tamina.

Or they could have her "quit" or even better "get fired" in a backstage segment by Steph or Trips and demote her to NXT or just send her home for half a year or until she quits.

UberTag

Or they could have her "quit" or even better "get fired" in a backstage segment by Steph or Trips and demote her to NXT or just send her home for half a year or until she quits.
They'll just do what they did to Zack Ryder.
Job her title, bury her and then drastically reduce her TV time but still keep her on tour for house show jobs.
At the start of every RAW they'll tell her they've got some segment for her and then she won't even get to be part of the 12-diva tag matches they always have.
She'll stand in the aisle with Zack and lament what once was.

Carnby

Miz main evented Wrestlemania. Punk hasn't.

The defense rests.

And even then that match was just a vehicle for Rock Vs. Cena. No one cared about the match. We only watched to see what Rock would do.

That's three WrestleMania's in a row that Rock and Cena dominated.

Aiii

So not worth it
They'll just do what they did to Zack Ryder.
Job her title, bury her and then drastically reduce her TV time but still keep her on tour for house show jobs.
At the start of every RAW they'll tell her they've got some segment for her and then she won't even get to be part of the 12-diva tag matches they always have.
She'll stand in the aisle with Zack and lament what once was.

Sounds like WWE alright.

Aiii

So not worth it
WWE's new corporate jet has the new WWE logo as well, guess the scratch logo is definitely on it's way out.

BfjafhfCUAEx23O.jpg

I mostly post from GAF mobile, and just barely got told by Sunny on Twitter who won. :p Never heard of the guy but I'll change my avatar to include him when I get home. I apologize. :p

Found the list, so far I've checked the first 20 entrants:

01. Zandig - Bootaaay
02. HHH - Mr. Sandman
03. Super Dragon - tm24
04. Yokozuna - Mr. Luchador, Xater
05. Batista - Tanner1495, Verendus
06. Marc Mero - jred2k
07. Bo Dallas - BIONIC-ARRRMMM!!, Shadowlink
08. Bray Wyatt - gurudyne
09. Alex Wright - Aiii
10. La Parka - Teptom
11. Shinsuke Nakamura - ghostmind
12. UltraMantis Black - BillRiccio
13. John Cena - bean breath
14. Lou Thesz - Laserfrog
15. Goldust - UberTag, Entropia
16. Savio Vega - DMczaf
17. Zack Ryder - Professor Beef
18. Minoru Suzuki - slightconfuse, Evening Musuko
19. Nick Jackson - FallingEdge
20. Matt Hardy - Hasney

From the first half only Tanner1495 welched. Can someone else check the last half? I need to get some work done:

21. Earthquake - Rapstah
22. DDP - QueenOfThorns
23. Justin Gabriel - avengers23
24. Jeff Hardy - Reneledarker
25. Christian - Shark Johnson
26. Dean Ambrose - Matts Legacy
27. Titus O'Neil - mtsmylie
28. Shane McMahon - Chico Terry
29. Ultimate Warrior - TheWarrior
30. Owen Hart - mrboo001
31. Vince McMahon - Vince McMahon
32. Ron Simmons - Jeff Albertson
33. JTG - Serpentine
34. Chuck Taylor - Perspicacity
35. Prince Devitt - TL21xx
36. Heath Slater - Razorskin
37. Gorgeous George - Pizoxuat
38. Archibald Peck - Matthew Gallant
39. The Miz - Speedy Blue Dude
40. Bret Hart - Pavaloo

jred2k

I wonder how hard they'll bury AJ tonight.

They could go traditional and have her drop her title in 30 seconds with a roll-up from Naomi after eating a superkick by Tamina.

Brad Maddox could use an assistant. May be the could save it for future GM of Raw Sting.

I'm actually Zack Ryder, here's proof:

Gm Tal Tl, Hew Na At (Bro)

strobogo

Banned
Transformer blew in my area. Power was out for over an hour. Temp in my house dropped 24 degrees. But worst of all, all my cookies were erased. I have to sign back into EVERYTHING.

tumblr_m2vaceZQPE1r0vaoyo1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom