• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Ospreay vs Shibata is pretty great.

The whole show is pretty damn good yeah but if you are time constrained just make sure you see Shibata vs Ospreay and the final two.

And if you have a bit more time also watch the 6 Man title match, that was pretty fun.

I pretty much really enjoyed the whole show too. Especially from CHAOS vs Suzuki-gun onwards. Not that the first part was bad, but yeah.

Last two matches were amazing. Super fun show!

I kinda love how easy it is to just get into NJPW. I've seen the main two New Beginning shows only (I'm making my way through WK11 in parts) and yet I already have guys I root for. Like very easy to pick up.
And honestly Kelly and Cyrus help with that

They also pulled off something WWE hasn't done in a while made me sort of change who I was cheering for. Was totally all Naito going in, but by the end kinda wanted Elgin to win. Still love Naito so I wasn't disappointed but man did Elgin get me on his side there. So NJPW did two things I guess make me change my alligience a bit and make me cheer for both guys. Can't remember last time that happened in WWE and it probably won't happen in WWE till say AJ Styles vs Kevin Owens.

I kinda love how easy it is to just get into NJPW. I've seen the main two New Beginning shows only (I'm making my way through WK11 in parts) and yet I already have guys I root for. Like very easy to pick up.

They also pulled off something WWE hasn't done in a while made me sort of change who I was cheering for. Was totally all Naito going in, but by the end kinda wanted Elgin to win. Still love Naito so I wasn't disappointed but man did Elgin get me on his side there. So NJPW did two things I guess make me change my alligience a bit and make me cheer for both guys. Can't remember last time that happened in WWE and it probably won't happen in WWE till say AJ Styles vs Kevin Owens.

Happy to hear NJPW is clicking with you! It really is an awesome promotion to follow.

Elgin sort of had 'go away' heat with me since last year (even though I enjoyed a few of his matches) but that match brought me around on him too.

Zach

yyxbWEe.gif
That's my dude.

For me what made this so easy is because everything is contained to the ring. There are promos that will happen, but all the story is laid out in the ring. There also isn't this GOOD VS EVIL thing they go for. Sure there are heels and faces, but it's not like how it is with WWE. It's not nearly as heavy handed and forced.

I'm fairly new to NJPW too, about a year now, but this is just how I've interpreted it.

korly

I'm at work this morning but I'm going to try to watch Shibata/Osprey during lunch. What's the timecode on that match so I don't spoil everything else while I'm searching for it?

Fight Club Pro is the one that Trent (and maybe Dunne?) own right? If so, then there's no chance they booked this without getting it guaranteed by WWE.

UberTag

Glad to hear that New Japan delivered again today. I haven't watched Nakamura vs. Roode from two weeks ago yet and I think I should transition directly from watching that match to Naito vs. Elgin just so I can compare and contrast how the two Canadian hosses fair against two of Japan's greatest talents.

Incidentally, is Kevin Owens disrespected even less than either Roode or Elgin at this juncture? I mean, the dude's been Universal Champion for almost half a year and they've booked him like complete garbage. Shouldn't the opposite happen with the champion of your flagship program for half a year?

Barrage

YOOOOOOOOOO

OSPREAY/SHIBATA

YOOOOOOOOO

NAITO/ELGIN

HYPE AS FUCK

This has been a tremendous start to the year for wrestling everywhere, holy shit.

Kornflayx

Hiromu and Lee totally lost me at the end of the match. German no sell spot, middle rope apron powerbomb where Lee is up 2 seconds later to almost get his neck broken on the guard rail. Just trading moves with no rhyme or reason.

The beginning was really good, but I realized again why juniors matches are not really my thing.

Hiromu and Lee totally lost me at the end of the match. German no sell spot, middle rope apron powerbomb where Lee is up 2 seconds later to almost get his neck broken on the guard rail. Just trading moves with no rhyme or reason.

The beginning was really good, but I realized again why juniors matches are not really my thing.

It's not like every juniors match goes that far, Taguchi vs Hiromu will likely be very different - I agree on today's match though. I enjoyed it as a crazy-ass spotfest, but it was just building spot upon spot. Ospreay/Shibata was the better match, as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention Elgin/Naito.

Kornflayx

It's not like every juniors match goes that far, Taguchi vs Hiromu will likely be very different - I agree on today's match though. I enjoyed it as a crazy-ass spotfest, but it was just building spot upon spot. Ospreay/Shibata was the better match, as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention Elgin/Naito.

Shibata/Ospreay was definitely better and ended when it should have. I'm looking forward to Elgin/Naito

Edit: In the spirit of Big Dave here are my ratings so far:

Shibata vs. Ospreay - ****1/4
Takahashi vs. Lee - ***1/2

Top Bottom