• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal appeals court maintains suspension of Trump’s immigration order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone disagrees with you.

donald-trump-travel-ban-twitter-rant-2.jpg
Those are the medias words, those are their words. Fake news!

Was just reading about this.

The ban was set for 90 days...

It will be over before any of the courts really get to it, before even his nominee is on the court.

He's such a fucking idiot.

What are they going to do? extend the banned ban?

They'll seek an emergency injunction like they did at the 9th circuit I suspect, which would bring the case to trial ASAP. But even then the ban will be more than halfway over. This decision was the real victory. It'll still take weeks for a SCOTUS appeal to even start.

antonz

Its interesting to consider that this just grew so much larger than just the immigration ban.

This in the Supreme Court will be a battle on just what authority the courts have with regard to EO etc. Have a hard time believing even a republican stacked court would rule to limit the courts ability to be a check to Executive power

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes, I realize all of this? I was merely stating that once the ban eventually gets to the SCOTUS on its merits, I do not foresee 5 votes to uphold its constitutionality.

Sure they do.

The problem is that the stated reasoning the States are arguing the ban is unconstitutional is largely on a violation of the Establishment Clause except a blanket ban on granting visas to an entire country isn't facially invalid under the Establishment Clause because a blanket ban on a country isn't religious in nature (even if it is, in reality).

I tend to doubt the Supreme Court will even take this particular ruling and will just wait for a merits based ruling.

Not only is this a great refutation of Trumps horseshit, but I also appreciate that it's a big fuck you to the idiot liberals that have been trying to carry water for Trump by doing the "you guys, I don't like it but it's not a Muslim ban... you guuuys" mental gymnastics. Section VII demonstrates the courts recognized that the intention of the law and Trump's anti-Muslim rhetoric matched.

The "it's only discrimination if it impacts a majority of the members of a religion" argument is such a profoundly poor legal litmus test; it was embarrassing seeing people on the left try and use it.

Nerazar

Was just reading about this.

The ban was set for 90 days...

It will be over before any of the courts really get to it, before even his nominee is on the court.

He's such a fucking idiot.

What are they going to do? extend the banned ban?

That is probably the plan, yes. Those "temporary powers" don't usually go away. Turkey is in a state of emergency since many years and France also extends theirs.

So just for "keeping the country safe", which is his theme, he would extend the duration of the ban and since nothing bad happens, he would continue to do so until the end of time, because is clearly works etc. etc.

SerTapTap

Its interesting to consider that this just grew so much larger than just the immigration ban.

This in the Supreme Court will be a battle on just what authority the courts have with regard to EO

I mean, they have it. Period. It's the whole point.

Nydius

Yeah fat chance. The US still elected that orange cunt. The foreign policy damage this moron already caused, and will for the next 8 years is going to be unprecedented.

Yep. Even if every court strikes it down and it ends up eventually erased entirely, the mere act having been done was enough to give extremist organizations a new recruiting message for at least another 4 years, if not longer.

Boke1879

Cross-post from other thread:

I hate it when articles don't link to the actual decision. For those interested:

https://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf

Any way, I just finished reading the decision which went as expected. I should point out that right now we are just dealing with the temporary restraining order (TRO), they are not discussing the merits of whether the "Muslim Ban" is unconstitutional. Even if this goes to the Supreme Court that is all that will be getting decided at the moment. If the Court upholds the TRO it will then likely remand the case back to the lower courts to decide on the merits of the case.

Yea that'll take longer to decide. It would honestly be in his best interest to pull this EO back and draft another one that's more specific. But he fucked up

Xe4

Banned
Reading the SCOTUS blog about the case, this is hardly surprising, but still good news. Good on those judges.

Yep. Even if every court strikes it down and it ends up eventually erased entirely, the mere act having been done was enough to give extremist organizations a new recruiting message for at least another 4 years, if not longer.

I would worry more about your (still)former allies than an enemy that would recruit new acolytes anyway.

The issue isn't that the District Court determined the Ban was unconstitional. It's that the District Court granted a stay so that it could determine whether the ban was constitutional before it allowed it to continue to take effect due to irreparable harm suffered by those banned.

The argument which was submitted to the Ninth Circuit (the Appellate Court) by the Trump Administration was that the Judiciary literally does not have the power to determine whether the Executive's immigration policies are Constitutional (essentially because it invokes the Political Question doctrine). There's no way whatsoever this gets overturned.

That doesn't mean the original Court might not determine that the Ban doesn't violate Constitutional rights. But I doubt you'll find out either way for quite a long time.

Sure they do.

The problem is that the stated reasoning the States are arguing the ban is unconstitutional is largely on a violation of the Establishment Clause except a blanket ban on granting visas to an entire country isn't facially invalid under the Establishment Clause because a blanket ban on a country isn't religious in nature (even if it is, in reality).

I tend to doubt the Supreme Court will even take this particular ruling and will just wait for a merits based ruling.

Yes.

If the case is ever heard on the merits I don't believe that the entire ban will be struck down as unconstitutional. A subset will likely be carved out for alien residents/visa holders already in the United States but the rest of the ban will likely be upheld as it applies to new alien visa applicants and refugees.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Yea that'll take longer to decide. It would honestly be in his best interest to pull this EO back and draft another one that's more specific. But he fucked up

probably but does he have the ability to listen to someone more reasonable that may suggest this? Survey says, no.

I mean, they have it. Period. It's the whole point.

I mean, based on my read, there are two things that I find interesting:

1. DOJ's assertion that the EO was unreviewable by the judiciary.
  2. The usage of extrinsic evidence (or at least, failure to reject considering it), such as Trump and Rudy referring to the EO as a "Muslim ban."
50 years from now, if this makes it to SCOTUS, it'll undeniably be a seminal separation of powers case.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Not only is this a great refutation of Trumps horseshit, but I also appreciate that it's a big fuck you to the idiot liberals that have been trying to carry water for Trump by doing the "you guys, I don't like it but it's not a Muslim ban... you guuuys" mental gymnastics. Section VII demonstrates the courts recognized that the intention of the law and Trump's anti-Muslim rhetoric matched.

The "it's only discrimination if it impacts a majority of the members of a religion" argument is such a profoundly poor legal litmus test; it was embarrassing seeing people on the left try and use it.

The problem is that I don't think the is facially invalid because its scope is so wide that it targets country and not a religion because on a technical level it applies to non-muslims in those countries.

I would be surprised if the states actually won at the District Court level.

Yes.

If the case is ever heard on the merits I don't believe that the entire ban will be struck down as unconstitutional. A subset will likely be carved out for alien residents/visa holders already in the United States but the rest of the ban will likely be upheld as it applies to new alien visa applicants and refugees.

I doubt there would be a carve out for existing visa holders either because the Supreme Court has already held that a visa isn't a constitutionally protected right and the reason for revoking it isn't religious on its face.

Sean C

So does this have any chance of being reversed in trumps favor in the supreme court?
Highly unlikely. Of the conservatives, Alito is such a partisan hack that I could see him going along with this, and I don't know what Thomas' arcane ideas about the Constitution would dictate in this case, but Roberts and especially Kennedy would have no interest in going to bat for this.

Right after this news the news guy said they found a truck with enough chemicals to make a billion ecstasy pills
I wonder What Donald would be like rolling on molly

Sure they do.

I mean, again, on the merits, I don't think there are 5 votes to uphold the EO's constitutionality.

This in the Supreme Court will be a battle on just what authority the courts have with regard to EO etc. Have a hard time believing even a republican stacked court would rule to limit the courts ability to be a check to Executive power

You're right. Didn't even thonk about that

Peltz

Can GAF ease off the pedal a little when saying that "checks and balances will be destroyed" due to Trump? Americans should have a bit more faith in their system of government. It's far larger than any one man or any one office. Of course, the presidency is a big deal, and Trump is a cause for concern.

But our system of government is built precisely to withstand this sort of situation as today has (somewhat) shown.

So does this have any chance of being reversed in trumps favor in the supreme court?

Before it works its way back up or they argue on merits? I can't see a way. Its well written to pretty much give one out, rewrite the E.O. or have it judged on merits

They court also uses some conservative cases to directly appeal to the court. (uses Kennedy's cases ) They'd have to get 5 votes. I don't think they can. Roberts and Alito might not even join

plufim

Long term, can Donny umdermine the function of the courts to reduce their power?

Because we've seen that the Republicans won't stop his grabs for power.

Socivol

People need to stop expecting intellectually honest arguments or logical consistency from conservatives.

They will do and say anything to get what they want.

I just at a minimum try to expect some consistency because even though this ruling is of the same opinion that I have I still think the judicial system is a fucking mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom