• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Federal appeals court maintains suspension of Trump’s immigration order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
E2PVXKm.png

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/829832294923902981/photo/1

Take Trump seriously, not literally guys! Don't they know "ban" was their word?

More likely than not, Kennedy would be on the right side of this case even with the 9th judge. Garland definitely wouldn't have overturned it. He was nowhere near a bad judge.

Would Roberts even side with Trump here? I get why elected Republicans bow to Trump but Roberts isn't ready to hand over the government to a loose cannon Executive branch.

slit

This isn't on the merits though. Just on the stay.

The case will work its way through the court system on the merits, and by then it'll be a 9-person court, but my guess is there probably aren't 5 votes to say that this is a constitutional EO.

I know that but that will take time and for now just having the stay in place will gnaw at Trump and his ego.

Pastry

Banned
Yep.

If someone like Romney implemented this it would have stood. Trump and his cohorts own stupid remarks sunk it.

It's interesting that precedence on this might hinge on the fact that the Trump admin was too fucking stupid to keep their mouths shut.

The Llama

Would Roberts even side with Trump here? I get why elected Republicans bow to Trump but Roberts isn't ready to hand over the government to a loose cannon Executive branch.

Nothing to really base this on, but I strongly suspect Roberts secretly hates Trump because he's publicly insulted him, and can see him ruling against him on his crazy ideas just because.

Steejee

More likely than not, Kennedy would be on the right side of this case even with the 9th judge. Garland definitely wouldn't have overturned it. He was nowhere near a bad judge.

Agreed, I think Kennedy and Garland would have upheld (if they heard it at all, which I agree may not even happen), but I feel like a full 9 judges would have had a slightly higher, if still minuscule, chance of overturning.

Even as a conservative I knew that was going to happen, it was poorly written, with more holes then Swiss cheese. Here's a tip have some fucking evidence that terrorists were actually coming in. Or maybe have a viable plan to screen people before closing the gate. It's like a child having a tantrum.

Exactly.

When Obama did it, he had evidence and a means to check people coming in from Iraq. (comparing fingerprint from IED devices to incomming refugees)

Trump simply wants to ban people based solely on their religion. He has no grounds, no evidence, and no means to properly filter out terrorists from non-terrorists.

He's just an asshole.

Veitsev

Roberts places a deep importance on his legacy, the overall legacy of the SC, and public faith in the SC. I seriously doubt he would vote in favor of a Muslim ban.

wandering

Banned
You know, it's a good thing Giuliani is more concerned with showing he's an insider than actually being helpful to the administration.

Thanks Rudy.

FyreWulff

Mike Huckabee
9th Circuit spends 3 days looking for copy of Constitution, can't find one anywhere in CA, and rules on immigration anyway

From the guy that got the only evidence that one of the Duggars was raping his sisters canonically erased from legal history

Boke1879

Well yeah, he did give him a lifetime job.

Doesn't mean anything. I mean i know we should be weary of shit, but I don't see how the SCOTUS lifts it.

I believe the EO as it stands now is dead in the water. If Trump did shit by the books or was a bit more specific. They'd have a leg to stand on that.

That said he fucked it all the way up from inception. The fact there were people in his administration calling it a "Muslim ban" fucked him over.

Steel

Banned
Exactly.

When Obama did it, he had evidence and a means to check people coming in from Iraq. (comparing fingerprint from IED devices to incomming refugees)

Trump simply wants to ban people based solely on their religion. He has no grounds, no evidence, and no means to properly filter out terrorists from non-terrorists.

He's just an asshole.

Obama didn't even ban people, it's just that while he was changing the immigration procedures, a backlog for the visa program built up.

I really don't know for certain, but I feel like he'd side with Trump in the end on the grounds that it's within executive authority to ban immigration from certain countries.

SerTapTap

Hell yeah, get fucked!

Hope that orange motherfucker has an aneurysm over this. He's gonna shoot steam out of his ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom