• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez |OT| Vita/PS3/PS4

jbw

Banned
How could you have such a negative reaction to this game?

How could you interpret my post as being "such a negative reaction"? SMH.

Finished it by the way, but didn't get all the items, and something tells me that was a mistake and that I'm not done yet. If that's the case though it doesn't really add a lot to my already lukewarm enthusiasm, because if it is indeed true that there's more to see, why did the game "end" so to speak? Not only that, what I've seen so far hasn't been that compelling to begin with, so... Barring some undiscovered revelation I have to say... Meh.

Anyone still playing this? I enjoy it when I sit down and give it a bit of time, but I have to work up the enthusiasm to play it. I like the game and I think it feels very magical, but it also makes me feel a bit dumb at times (in the same way Braid did). Apparently I've done about 40% in around 3 hours; I think I'll just complete the main portion and then move on. Can't see myself trying to collect all the hidden content or interpret all the strange clues.

Struggling to finish this; I just don't have the enthusiasm. It's a cute little game but with a few exceptions the puzzles aren't particularly clever or memorable and I hate the map so much - it makes finding my way around just a goddamn chore. I'm at 50 something percent and I've very much got the same opinion as jbw above me. Don't know whether I'll bother continuing.

Crispy75

Struggling to finish this; I just don't have the enthusiasm. It's a cute little game but with a few exceptions the puzzles aren't particularly clever or memorable and I hate the map so much - it makes finding my way around just a goddamn chore. I'm at 50 something percent and I've very much got the same opinion as jbw above me. Don't know whether I'll bother continuing.

You've got the 32 cube ending though right? No ned to beat yourself up getting 64.

I don't know why but as soon as I played it, I was filled with instant rage. Lasted 15 minutes before I said screw it and went to dragon's crown

So, the appeal of this game is what, exactly?

I'm 57% in, and so far it's pretty basic puzzle platforming, with no real sense of discovery or story or anything.

The only real thing it has going for it is the whole 2D/3D thing, which only goes so far, and is even dragged down when trying to travel between levels.

So is this just a case of people being in awe of a charming little indie that could? Because I'm just not seeing it.

i played it back when it released on the 360 and this is how i felt also. it's mellow, has great art and music, but isn't very engaging. i guess maybe the problem was that i didn't get into the deeper, more complicated puzzles, but they were so obtuse that i didn't care.

still, i'll download it for ps4 due to ps+ and maybe i'll revisit it at some point. i have way too much in my backlog to do that anytime soon though.

Slixshot

Banned
I don't know why but as soon as I played it, I was filled with instant rage. Lasted 15 minutes before I said screw it and went to dragon's crown

How on earth can you be filled with rage when you see the most adorable sprite to ever exist?

Lol seriously though, you're missing out.

i played it back when it released on the 360 and this is how i felt also. it's mellow, has great art and music, but isn't very engaging. i guess maybe the problem was that i didn't get into the deeper, more complicated puzzles, but they were so obtuse that i didn't care.

still, i'll download it for ps4 due to ps+ and maybe i'll revisit it at some point. i have way too much in my backlog to do that anytime soon though.

The obtuse puzzles are magical. If you take the time to decipher this game, you'll appreciate it like the rest of us.

Disasterpeace nailed this soundtrack. It's my favorite soundtrack I've ever heard. I listen to it on almost a daily basis. In all seriousness, it takes me to my happy place.

Slixshot

Banned
Sorry for the double post, but... I'm a happy guy right now :)
Uf3TFv1.png

jamsy

Played it for a bit and really liked it. Looks really great on the Vita.

But I think I'm stuck. Well, I'm not sure. I opened a couple of doors (one is a building with neon signs and the other is a larger structure with statues), and aside from a few blocks there's nothing there...no doors leading to other locations. Is this part of the puzzle or...?

Slixshot

Banned
Played it for a bit and really liked it. Looks really great on the Vita.

But I think I'm stuck. Well, I'm not sure. I opened a couple of doors (one is a building with neon signs and the other is a larger structure with statues), and aside from a few blocks there's nothing there...no doors leading to other locations. Is this part of the puzzle or...?

Use the map! It takes some getting used to, but once you understand it, it's your best friend. Hint:
If the room you're in has a goldborder around it on the map, you've done everything there is to do in that room!

genjiZERO

I really don't see what the big deal is. It's just a giant frustrating fetch quest. It's also making me nauseous to play.

putarorex

I got the demo on the xbox when the game first came out and didn't see what all the buzz what about. I downloaded it last night on the PS4 and ended up playing for three hours straight. I get it now. It is an amazing game. It is tickling the part of the brain that gets pleasure from solving puzzles fairly frequently. I am not sure if it will keep doing that, but I can't wait until this weekend when I can play it more.

Slixshot

Banned
I got the demo on the xbox when the game first came out and didn't see what all the buzz what about. I downloaded it last night on the PS4 and ended up playing for three hours straight. I get it now. It is an amazing game. It is tickling the part of the brain that gets pleasure from solving puzzles fairly frequently. I am not sure if it will keep doing that, but I can't wait until this weekend when I can play it more.

Bro, there are some puzzles that will not only bend your mind... but BLOW IT. Eventually, unless you're some wiz kid, you'll have to look stuff up. Don't feel bad about it though. Just be amazed at how much there really is. :)

vg260

As soon as I saw you had to unlock the 3D option, I deleted this game. I played in on the PC and only downloaded it to see how it looked in 3D. What a terrible idea and waste of time.

As soon as I saw you had to unlock the 3D option, I deleted this game. I played in on the PC and only downloaded it to see how it looked in 3D. What a terrible idea and waste of time.

The 3D option is just a static look used for some puzzles, it's not an option to play in first person. It's a great game, but if you weren't feeling it then I guess give it a miss.

Can you set the time manually on the PS4? If so, then yes it will.

Yeah, it was actually really easy being able to change system time without even quiting the game. Thanks

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished it and earned all trophies on PS4 over the past week. Adored it. Never put time into the 360 version I purchased years ago, but glad I finally did so eventually here.

Some of the more obtuse puzzles still went over my head, even after looking up the solutions("What is my name?" How does one decipher the counting cube for the # of bell toll rings?)

Such a charming game and so satisfying making broad attempts to solve its mysteries on my own...though granted too many cubes repeat the same logic and I wished for more actual puzzles. A few too many QR codes, way too many tetrino button strings...solve one and the rest fall into place.

As someone that was pretty meh on Journey, Braid, and Bastion, this was one of the few hyped indie darling games that had me engaged.

Finished it and earned all trophies on PS4 over the past week. Adored it. Never put time into the 360 version I purchased years ago, but glad I finally did so eventually here.

Some of the more obtuse puzzles still went over my head, even after looking up the solutions("What is my name?" How does one decipher the counting cube for the # of bell toll rings?)

Such a charming game and so satisfying making broad attempts to solve its mysteries on my own...though granted too many cubes repeat the same logic and I wished for more actual puzzles. A few too many QR codes, way too many tetrino button strings...solve one and the rest fall into place.

As someone that was pretty meh on Journey, Braid, and Bastion, this was one of the few hyped indie darling games that had me engaged.

The
counting cube artifact, like most artifacts in FEZ, is a red herring. It doesn't tell you how to decipher anything, but the objects in the environment immediately surrounding it does. For the counting cube, the library section with the bridge has 3-4 simple arithmetic problems on the walls in the number language that allow decipher to the numbers 0-10.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The
counting cube artifact, like most artifacts in FEZ, is a red herring. It doesn't tell you how to decipher anything, but the objects in the environment immediately surrounding it does. For the counting cube, the library section with the bridge has 3-4 simple arithmetic problems on the walls in the number language that allow decipher to the numbers 0-10.

Ah thanks! I figured I missed noticing something like that in the world. I was very perceptive to backdrop markings too, but really never noticed that pivotal area I guess

What the fuck with this game? Haven't played in over a week, get started and I'm confused as heck on where I'm going or where I'm at. Puzzles are one thing but not being able to figure out how to get from point A to point B with this lousy map is another.

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck with this game? Haven't played in over a week, get started and I'm confused as heck on where I'm going or where I'm at. Puzzles are one thing but not being able to figure out how to get from point A to point B with this lousy map is another.

The map is really awful, no idea what the hell it's trying to tell me. :/

The map is really awful, no idea what the hell it's trying to tell me. :/

What is it about the map that is difficult to parse?

- The room/area with "ping marks" around it is your current location
- Areas that connect to a location via lines show how many areas are accessible from that place.
- Any small icon to the right of an area tells you if there is something left for you to find there e.g. cube, treasure, locked door, etc.. The legend for the icons in always in the lower left corner of the screen on the world map.
- If a line extends from an area to something with no picture or info, that means you haven't discovered the way there yet.
- A gold color around an area on the world map means that you have discovered everything there is to find there.

While you are in-game, you can tell which area a door will take you to by looking on the horizon. The area on the horizon that somewhat "lines up" with the door you are about to enter is likely where you will pop out at.

I'm replaying fez now. Didn't put much effort the first time, but still thought it was special.

my question is, can I collect the anti cubes after I find all the gold cubes in a level, or are the anticubes only available after you find the first 32 cubes?

thanks

Crispy75

I'm replaying fez now. Didn't put much effort the first time, but still thought it was special.

my question is, can I collect the anti cubes after I find all the gold cubes in a level, or are the anticubes only available after you find the first 32 cubes?

thanks

Anticubes are available at any time

Most are available right away, but you do need to access new areas in order to
decipher the numbers and tetris puzzles.

BTW, how the hell are you expected to know what
the number 4 is on the wall in the classroom? It just goes from 0-3. I had to look it up, and I now I'm able to combine them to make bigger numbers

Also, for
learning the alphabet, what purpose does it serve? You can't input buttons for the letters to solve a puzzle, correct? They will most likely be riddles or an answer?

Scrabble

Well, I had a great time for the amount I was able to get through. I guess I'm just too stupid to progress because I just don't know what the fuck to do anymore, and back tracking again and again to previous areas, only to get stuck again isn't fun.

yayaba

Well, I had a great time for the amount I was able to get through. I guess I'm just too stupid to progress because I just don't know what the fuck to do anymore, and back tracking again and again to previous areas, only to get stuck again isn't fun.

I'm playing this on Steam personally but I felt that way playing this game as well. Didn't help that I would play maybe 20 minutes a day and drop it for the next day.

I got to around 60% until I said "fuck it", and broke one of my cardinal rules - I went to GameFAQs. It was either that or not finish it.

Turns out I only needed a small part of the walk through as I now have 94% completion. I should be able to wrap this up soon.

All in all though, I enjoyed it but it definitely felt a little overhyped to me.

Top Bottom