• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez |OT| Vita/PS3/PS4

StuBurns

Banned
Are you trying to lower the water level in an area, or separate the water falling from a higher level blocking something?

Number45

Are you trying to lower the water level in an area, or separate the water falling from a higher level blocking something?
I've just noticed that are multiple areas that seem like they need areas below the waterline to be accessible (shadows of platforms). I'd assumed I had to stop it at source, or thereabouts.

StuBurns

Banned
I've just noticed that are multiple areas that seem like they need areas below the waterline to be accessible (shadows of platforms). I'd assumed I had to stop it at source, or thereabouts.
Water levels are altered by valve things within levels, you turn them.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Water levels are altered by valve things within levels, you turn them.

Thanks for that. Not sure how I missed them - I'll dive back in tomorrow and see what I can do. :)

This actually depends.
If you are talking about the sewer levels, then yes, StuBurns is right.

But there is one specific area where you can lower the general water level in the hub-worlds too, if that's what you mean?

I used crossplay and played on PS4 and Vita but i was wondering: is the first person mode available on Vita?

Yes.
Double-tap screen after getting the deal-with-it sun-glasses.

StuBurns

Banned
This actually depends.
If you are talking about the sewer levels, then yes, StuBurns is right.

But there is one specific area where you can lower the general water level in the hub-worlds too, if that's what you mean?
You use the same method there though, don't you?

Got the game last week and finally completed my collection of everything last night. I love that there are no enemies. This fact really allowed me to focus on the environment and all of the world's idiosyncrasies. This was one of the best puzzle-centric games I've had the pleasure to play.

aro52

Annnnd done. That was a blast! Yes, I cheated on a bunch of
anti-cubes
and the
3 heart pieces
, but it was still fun hunting through the zeitgeist built up by the PC and X360 guys for that info. I really hope Phil is actually still working on FEZ 2 in secret and I can join in on that madness next time.

Does anywhere in the game give you an idea of the
numbers/alphabet
?

L
etters
:
Look for a room with a quick brown fox.

N
umbers
:
The classroom has most of them, I think.

I haven't played it since X360 launch, so the second one might not be enough.

Ended up grabbing the game on Vita (to support Vita sales). Had some misgivings because Fish is kind of a douche from what I can tell, but eventually realized that chances are good that just about everyone who makes the things I like is probably a douche. Not only that, but I probably am too. I'll support good products.

Now that that's out of the way, the game is pretty cool. And I am pleasantly surprised with the free cross-save slot. I always figured that kind of thing would be locked behind PS+. I find that I'm enjoying the game more on PS4 than Vita. Every time I put the Vita into sleep I get a message that leaderboards and cross-save functionality has been lost. I don't know how to recover it other than closing the game and reopening it.

Does anywhere in the game give you an idea of the
numbers/alphabet
?

I don't know about the hint given by the other guy, but I just cracked the alphabet this morning. There is a certain place in the game where there is zero doubt that the symbols in front of you are letters. Once you assemble enough words, it is not very difficult to "break the code." Pretty elementary frequency counts and some contextual guesses will solve it fairly quickly.

I was actually a little disappointed when I broke it. Kids at my middle school used to encode the notes they passed in exactly the same way. I always had a lot of fun intercepting and "cracking" them. I know there's a lot more to codebreaking that I'd like to learn and was hoping this would instigate some investigation into that a la Secret World.

Crispy75

I don't know about the hint given by the other guy, but I just cracked the alphabet this morning. There is a certain place in the game where there is zero doubt that the symbols in front of you are letters. Once you assemble enough words, it is not very difficult to "break the code." Pretty elementary frequency counts and some contextual guesses will solve it fairly quickly.

I was actually a little disappointed when I broke it. Kids at my middle school used to encode the notes they passed in exactly the same way. I always had a lot of fun intercepting and "cracking" them. I know there's a lot more to codebreaking that I'd like to learn and was hoping this would instigate some investigation into that a la Secret World.

You brute forced it. There is a room where every single letter is made know to you, if you pay attention :)

You brute forced it. There is a room where every single letter is made know to you, if you pay attention :)

To be fair, frequency analysis isn't really brute force. Definitely more work than just recording the code off a wall. But then, less work than running around looking for the right wall when as few as five sentences and fifteen minutes can take care of it.

Picked this up on a whim last night when I realized it was cross save and so far I am thrilled with this game. It was one of those games I knew the premise of and was familiar with the name but had never actually sat down and tried. It's a shame, this game is brilliant and I wish I had known about it before. I love the shifting mechanics

jmoe316

I really should have picked it up when it was on sale for the launch week.

Here's hoping it goes on sale again...

wouwie

I wonder: how much of the game is do-able without knowing how to decode? I'm currently at 34 cubes (22 yellow, 12 blue) and progress has slowed down considerably. I see text in quite a few places but i have no clue about decoding yet. I plan not to look up solutions but i wish i had paid attention to decoding from the start. My strategy was to not bother with it until i couldn't progress any further into the game. But now i will have to revisit each room again to collect clues on how to decode. Not the best strategy...

Anyhow, Fez is a fantastic game.

wouwie

If you count the codes, not that much more, but you only need language for one I think.

codes = sequence of shapes that translate into a sequence of left, right, up, down, R2, L2 and jump? I managed to decode those and found quite a few blue ones with these. However, in a few cases, these codes don't trigger any result when i was sure they would.

StuBurns

Banned
codes = sequence of shapes that translate into a sequence of left, right, up, down, R2, L2 and jump? I managed to decode those and found quite a few blue ones with these. However, in a few cases, these codes don't trigger any result when i was sure they would.
I don't remember any not doing anything, maybe you decoded them slightly wrong? I could have missed the ones that don't work though.

Chopper

I tucked back into this last night after a few days away, and actually felt like I was making progress. I sort of wrapped my head around the map, and was able to backtrack and find some stuff I'd missed.

I found some very interesting rooms, from those that I recognised from the treasure maps I've been picking up, to others that appear to contain hints about the code. Some are absolutely tantalising, but I haven't managed to crack anything yet, nor have I been able to capitalise on finding the rooms on the treasure maps.

I feel as though that one room with the big block that lights up in certain ways depending on what button you push is a big part of it. And I still only have two artifacts, which I assume I'll need for decoding.

Until I work this out, I'm happy wandering around picking up cubes. But eventually I'm gonna run out of cubes.

Still. Loving it.

wouwie

I don't remember any not doing anything, maybe you decoded them slightly wrong? I could have missed the ones that don't work though.

There is one area with a waterfall that obscures an entrance to a door. In that area, there is also a code that glows on a door when it's night. Upon entering this area, there is a code on a purple stone. Both these codes (glowing on door and on purple stone) don't do anything and i'm sure they should. I'm using the same decode key as i have used succesfully multiple times before. So i was wondering if i'm correct here. I'm decoding the code on the purple stone as up, L2, down, R2, right, jump, left, R2,R2. Is this correct (a yes or no is enough). I would look it up but i don't want to be spoiled. I really want to try and finish this game without help.

StuBurns

Banned
There is one area with a waterfall that obscures an entrance to a door. In that area, there is also a code that glows on a door when it's night. Upon entering this area, there is a code on a purple stone. Both these codes (glowing on door and on purple stone) don't do anything and i'm sure they should. I'm using the same decode key as i have used succesfully multiple times before. So i was wondering if i'm correct here. I'm decoding the code on the purple stone as up, L2, down, R2, right, jump, left, R2,R2. Is this correct (a yes or no is enough). I would look it up but i don't want to be spoiled. I really want to try and finish this game without help.
No.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Last week a friend of mine spoiled the solution to the clock puzzle (I didn't ask for help lol). I didn't try it until today. Shame, I was aiming to complete the whole game it with no help.

Those are the only 2 anti-cubes I've got with help. 17/32 and I have all 32 normal cubes.

Done! This is the third time I've played Fez to its
% completion. Played mainly on Vita, occasionally picking up on PS4.

This is a fucking great game.

Wow, loved the demo. Thinking of purchasing it, wish I purchased it during the PS+ discount, but I didn't know the game was as good as this.

Also, if you guys enjoy the perspective puzzle game, try out EcoChrome! I've always been interested in how simple yet astonishing these games were.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Wow, loved the demo. Thinking of purchasing it, wish I purchased it during the PS+ discount, but I didn't know the game was as good as this.

Also, if you guys enjoy the perspective puzzle game, try out EcoChrome! I've always been interested in how simple yet astonishing these games were.

Echochrome was an Indie before Indies were mainstream!

Finally put in some time with it this evening on PS4. I thought it was going to hurt my brain like some sort of deranged lovechild of Echochrome and Where is My Heart, but 3-4 hours in and it was still a decidedly relaxed affair. Have about 19 cubes thus far (10 regular and 9 anti) and really enjoy the thought that went into crafting this world. It's beautiful.

Question about trophies: Is anybody having any issues with trophies popping on your playthroughs?

Specifically, the RRLRRLLL hasn't popped despite me fulfilling the requirements. Get a Cube popped twice and Equal and Opposite didn't unlock until my 6th or 7th anti-cube.

Question about trophies: Is anybody having any issues with trophies popping on your playthroughs?

Specifically, the RRLRRLLL hasn't popped despite me fulfilling the requirements. Get a Cube popped twice and Equal and Opposite didn't unlock until my 6th or 7th anti-cube.
I had a thing where trophies weren't popping on the PS4 but I was getting credit. I distinctly remember getting Equal and Opposite before work and being surprised it didn't pop. Later that night I got my second anti cube on the Vita and the trophy popped there, but with a time stamp of the morning.

Sounds like we had different issues though

Chopper

Just went through the 32 cube door and finished my first run. What a trip.

I got the
deal-with-it shades
and put them to use. I've seen some incomprehensible patterns
on the ground
, but was expecting to unlock something that would help me with the puzzles I've already seen. So many secrets unsolved.

Do I need to be paying closer attention now? Am I actually able to "complete" the game or are there other unlocks?

This game makes me feel stupid.

I had a thing where trophies weren't popping on the PS4 but I was getting credit. I distinctly remember getting Equal and Opposite before work and being surprised it didn't pop. Later that night I got my second anti cube on the Vita and the trophy popped there, but with a time stamp of the morning.

Sounds like we had different issues though

That issue I had with trophies not popping/popping late triggered the infamous NP-32091-5 error. After some trial and error (and database rebuilding) I finally got synced back up but that RRLRRLLL anti-cube and trophy still won't trigger on my main game so I just started a new game on a separate file to pop it. Looks like I won't be getting it on my main playthrough though and will save it for NG+. Bummer.

Game is still fantastic though.

Pimpwerx

I tried the demo, and it converted me. I thought the graphics were ugly, but it's a quaint look. I didn't want to stop playing. I won't buy it now, but once I clear my backlog. Great game. PEACE.

ajcacio

Banned
Okay, so I just started NG+ with
29 cubes and 8 anti-cubes
and I know about
first person and flying.
I feel my progress starting to slow down... I have the
teal and red artifacts
but I don't know what to do with them? I found
the markings in the boiler room and wrote them down.
Can anyone give me a tiny nudge in the right direction please?!

FranXico

Okay, so I just started NG+ with
29 cubes and 8 anti-cubes
and I know about
first person and flying.
I feel my progress starting to slow down... I have the
teal and red artifacts
but I don't know what to do with them? I found
the markings in the boiler room and wrote them down.
Can anyone give me a tiny nudge in the right direction please?!

You need to know
the number system, which you can learn in a classroom in the "new" city (my theory, I think that you actually time travel to the ruins in the distant past in that area)
and
the input codes, which the game teaches you in a "rosetta stone" room
. Knowing these two things,
you can then enter the code by pressing the input corresponding to each symbol, in the order which the numbers shown together with the input symbols indicate

FranXico

Ecochrome truly is a simple and brilliant game, inspired by the art of M.C.Escher.

FEZ, however, does not really compare. It is a multi-layered and complex puzzle game.

Finished to ultimate completion but does anyone know what
bursting the heart room does? It rebooted the game and Gomez woke up in his room with red lights now dangling. Is that it?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Finished it fully just now. I had 16 anti-cubes with no help, but I couldn't figure out the rest. I was so close though. Oh well. 3D unlocked now. Shame though. Would've been nice to have from the start, but I guess it'll be neat for a future replay. Though the nature of this game isn't very replayable.

Finished my first playthrough of the game (on PS4). What a fantastic experience! Kinda of a shame that us Playstation owners missed out on this for a couple of years. Played great on PS4 though (didn't encounter any bugs or glitches). I was wondering... I just looked up some of the walkthroughs online to get an idea on how the puzzles are solved. Was anyone able to break the
tetris
code without any help? That just seems so difficult to think of!

Also, when an area on the map has a "?/secret" sign does that mean I should be looking for some item? Thanks!

Crispy75

Was anyone able to break the
tetris
code without any help?

There is a room in the game that explicitly teaches it to you. It works like this:
There's a display in the middle of the room that flashes up the shape that corresponds to each button as you push it.
, but I forget exactly where it is...

There is a room in the game that explicitly teaches it to you. It works like this:
There's a display in the middle of the room that flashes up the shape that corresponds to each button as you push it.
, but I forget exactly where it is...

Ah, I see! I have to say the puzzles are very clever!

Goddamnit, this game. THESE PUZZLES. I love it so much, but I really can't comprehend how people are able to translate the language on their own. I figured out the "tetris" puzzles pretty easily. But the number and language translation I just can't wrap my head around.

I found the room that has all the blocks with all the letters, but I still don't get what I'm supposed to do with them, and how the artifacts actually help. Are you literally supposed to just take a sentence and try to fit in random letters in English and see what works/doesn't work? I love the game, but if so, that seems very counter-intuitive to me.

Wow, Fez looks absolutely gorgeous on the Vita. Despite picking it up during the steam sales, I held off on playing this for the longest time, in the hope that it would find its way to Sony's slightly unloved handheld. Well, it did and I'm glad I waited. Just getting started, but it just looks so good on the OLED; colours popping out like Popeye's biceps after a weekend bender on spinach. So good!

It's not got much love recently, my poor Vita, but between this and Final Fantasy X, it's back in business.

jbw

Banned
So, the appeal of this game is what, exactly?

I'm 57% in, and so far it's pretty basic puzzle platforming, with no real sense of discovery or story or anything.

The only real thing it has going for it is the whole 2D/3D thing, which only goes so far, and is even dragged down when trying to travel between levels.

So is this just a case of people being in awe of a charming little indie that could? Because I'm just not seeing it.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
So, the appeal of this game is what, exactly?

I'm 57% in, and so far it's pretty basic puzzle platforming, with no real sense of discovery or story or anything.

The only real thing it has going for it is the whole 2D/3D thing, which only goes so far, and is even dragged down when trying to travel between levels.

So is this just a case of people being in awe of a charming little indie that could? Because I'm just not seeing it.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Top Bottom