• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Zomba13

Well I've just 'finished' the game.

Got the Kill screen chevo. Only had 32 cubes total. Don't have a clue about how to go about deciphering things. I really like the game though.

EDIT:
:O First Person mode in NG+? I guess this is used to solve puzzles/help decipher stuff? I lol'd big time at the 'deal with it' sun glasses.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
throne rooms.

those stone pillars with the square cut out.

I've hit a god damn brick wall. Done all of the observatory, but by fluke I think. HAMMER THOSE TRIGGERS.

Monocle portrait room. First level. What am I missing?
I went through the fireplace and opened the chest. The map says there's another secret in there. Is there, or is it a bug?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
what a wonderful game. I just completed the tetris peices puzzle after about 10 minutes of just throwing cubes around lol

Natiko

Banned
I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. I'm just wandering from area to area collecting shit. I feel so lost.

I have no idea what I'm doing in this game. I'm just wandering from area to area collecting shit. I feel so lost.

Ha, that's kind of how I felt when playing it earlier. But I just went with it. I figure if I miss something I can pick it up later, so I'll just explore.

Got the Bell Tower one:

U = 1
Symbol with dot in the corner = 3
+ = 10
"=" = 6

Don't think the order matters, but that's the one I used since I wasn't sure how much "=" was gonna be.

Croc

Banned

This is how I'm feeling right now. I understand the map system and such so I know when I have stuff to do in a room, but there's so many maps that I never remember anything specific that I've passed of left behind and end up just wandering around until I see something.

GhaleonEB

Some thoughts after a few more hours of play.

I'm struggling with world navigation. I'm starting to understand the (overly abstract) world map, but I often can't figure out how to get from point A to point B, spending a lot of time going in loops trying to get out of a hub area to a new location. For instance, I know there's this really important room early on with all the doors requiring different numbers of cubes to open. But I have no idea where it is or how to get to it, now that I have a half dozen cubes found.

I'm starting to see all the things I can't quite figure out, but I'm not sure how to figure them out. Lots of totems the cube tells me it can't remember what they're for; puzzles involving stacks of movable blocks I don't understand; something involving some language/writing (I think?) that I can't decipher; I have four or five treasure maps and I have no clue what any of them mean.

At this point, my big question for the game is whether they're going to teach me what these things are, or whether they're one of those things I have to guess or find out online. It's been some time since the game actually taught me a new mechanic; there was an initial rush of learning the game mechanics, and now there's just cryptic stuff everywhere.

Game performance is definitely detracting from the experience. I just got a big new area, where they do the long rotating pan through the world, and it was at a low framerate and chugging the whole time. Really took away from the excitement of finding a new area. The game really needed more time to polish that stuff up.

Played the start, shit went down, played the start again, mind blown.

Loving it so far. The amount of subtle narrative detail is amazing.

Feep

Banned
throne rooms.

those stone pillars with the square cut out.

I've hit a god damn brick wall. Done all of the observatory, but by fluke I think. HAMMER THOSE TRIGGERS.
Goddammit. How are people doing this? Was your code exclusively triggers? And did you get an anticube in there?

Got the Bell Tower one:

U = 1
Symbol with dot in the corner = 3
+ = 10
"=" = 6

Don't think the order matters, but that's the one I used since I wasn't sure how much "=" was gonna be.
This is correct. Still not enough to solve the boiler room, though...

All I'm noticing is some framerate hiccups here and there. I wouldn't say it's anything detrimental.

damn, this game skips frames consistently every second.

It's almost like playing a 57hz MAME game with vsync on or something. Really weird for a console title. I actually remember running into this with early versions of XNA, but that was in Windows.

I don't know what to believe! It seems like something that'd bug me a bit.

I'll probably end up waiting, anyway. I am planning on picking up Trials Evolution next Wednesday, so that'll keep me busy for a while.

Downloaded the trial without knowing anything about the game, or even what it looked like. Needless to say, I instantly feel in love with the aesthetic and general feel of the game. This game literally gave me a headache though, so I had to stop playing for a little bit.
KuGsj.gif

GhaleonEB

Downloaded the trial without knowing anything about the game, or even what it looked like. Needless to say, I instantly feel in love with the aesthetic and general feel of the game. This game literally gave me a headache though, so I had to stop playing for a little bit.
KuGsj.gif

Yeah I have a headache now, which is why I had to stop. I just got past an area where the blocks on was on were rotating constantly and it really screwed with my head. I'm still disoriented.

Kerub

Banned
Aw come on. I'm stuck at the very first puzzle in the game, the tutorial town. >.>

I've searched every part of the town I could find but I still only have 6 cube shards.

This is correct. Still not enough to solve the boiler room, though...

Soo here's what's left for me:

Clock Tower - Every hand gives its own cube, right? So just stand there and wait?
Maintenance Room - no idea
Name Puzzle - no idea
Vertically Infinite Room - Still has a question mark.. no idea
Owl Room - The room with the owl statue that does NOT turn - no idea
Weird altar room with spinning black rectangle - no idea

Any hints for any of these? I'm stuck.

popokarimu

Neo Member
Hopefully they can get a patch out for this game soon to fix some of the technical problems. It just went crazy and crashed my system and now the game won't even start up anymore. I deleted it and am redownloading it now but that was a pretty crappy start (happened five minutes into the game).

edit: Sorry, didn't realize that was a spoiler, thought it was just the game crashing hard. :(

Tain

I don't know what to believe! It seems like something that'd bug me a bit.

I'll probably end up waiting, anyway. I am planning on picking up Trials Evolution next Wednesday, so that'll keep me busy for a while.

I'd say that it's a pretty specific complaint that won't annoy everyone. You can tell if it will bother you from the trial, either way.

Himself

Hopefully they can get a patch out for this game soon to fix some of the technical problems. It just went crazy (static, numbers and letters all over the screen and then froze) and crashed my system and now the game won't even start up anymore. I deleted it and am redownloading it now but that was a pretty crappy start (happened five minutes into the game).

Spoiler alert?

GhaleonEB

Hopefully they can get a patch out for this game soon to fix some of the technical problems. It just went crazy (static, numbers and letters all over the screen and then froze) and crashed my system and now the game won't even start up anymore. I deleted it and am redownloading it now but that was a pretty crappy start (happened five minutes into the game).

That happened to me as well. I think it's supposed to be part of the beginning of the game. Only, I was able to re-start from the menu. That or it's just totally glitched; it was odd to have to use the menu to continue from there.

Feep

Banned
Soo here's what's left for me:

Clock Tower - Every hand gives its own cube, right? So just stand there and wait?
Maintenance Room - no idea
Name Puzzle - no idea
Vertically Infinite Room - Still has a question mark.. no idea
Owl Room - The room with the owl statue that does NOT turn - no idea
Weird altar room with spinning black rectangle - no idea

Any hints for any of these? I'm stuck.
Go back to the observatory, repeat the constellations until you get a chime, and then we'll talk >= D

Vertically infinite room: it's quite clever. You might want to look at the room from a certain angle...(not first person)

Owl room: assemble the parliament. The parliament is composed of four owls...

Clock Tower: just stand there and wait. I did a little calculation and set my alarm for the middle of the night when the slowest hand, the gray one, would line up. = D

No idea on the others.

popokarimu

Neo Member
That happened to me as well. I think it's supposed to be part of the beginning of the game. Only, I was able to re-start from the menu. That or it's just totally glitched; it was odd to have to use the menu to continue from there.

Hmm, that's weird. Just did it again and it just completely freezes my system. When I restart the system the game won't even boot up.

edit: Finally worked. Cool intro but damn.

TheMan

trial is fun but I think i'll wait to pick it up until after the first patch comes out, or perhaps when it goes on sale.

these reports of bugs are off-putting.

I'm seriously missing something in this monocle/portrait room. I have no idea what the secret is. Otherwise, great game. I'm loving that there's no set path to get the cubes.
Edit: Holy shit, I got it.

Just ran into a bare room with a
qr code, I scanned it and it gave me instructions for spinning the room
Ended up "breaking the code" for my troubles. Couldn't believe it.

Zomba13

Near the waterfall there is a door that leads you to a fox jumping over a lazy dog. I'm sure you can put the rest together, lol.

Thank you SO SO much for that. I saw them when I passed through but didn't put 2 and 2 together. I did notice that that was the only place I'd seen them so assumed it was special.

MrDaravon

Speaking of glitches, did anyone have the glitch (?) by unlocking the full game from the end of the demo? I did so and Continued, and when it came back to the game after the Xbox menu stuff it was just the character on a full background of gray squares with nothing happening. The back and start buttons "rotated" the screen (but they were all identical), and if I hit A I could hear sounds like my character was jumping but on my screen nothing was happening. I should have taken a picture. I have no idea if this was some elaborate joke/puzzle or what, had to dashboard to get out of it though.

Aside from that though the stuttering is reallllly annoying. May wait for a patch. I really haven't been following this game very much, but hasn't it been in production for like 4-5 years? I mean, how the fuck is this an issue in the final game?

I'm seriously missing something in this monocle/portrait room. I have no idea what the secret is. Otherwise, great game. I'm loving that there's no set path to get the cubes.
Edit: Holy shit, I got it.

I don't want to know what it is, but is it something other than
the fireplace?

Nert

Everything about this game sounds right up my alley, but I'd rather wait to make my purchase until after the technical issues are fixed (or at least partially addressed). I was able to wait two months longer for Skyrim, so I'll probably be fine waiting now.

I at least have some music to enjoy while I wait.

Gav47

Does any one else get a little bit of motion sickness from this game? The rotating platforms in particular left me feeling a little queasy.

So do you really need
a smartphone in order to scan QR codes
in order to solve everything?

According to one of the reviews
Editor's note: Fez programmer Renaud Bedard has since informed us that all QR codes have harder alternate puzzles associated with them that don't require a QR reader.

No stuttering or glitches for me 90 minutes in. I really don't see myself ever understanding this map.
Edit: Well except for the leaderboard glitch.

Top Bottom