• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Feep

Banned
Can anyone (Zomba) explain how to get the regular anticube in the observatory? Is it another one of those analog-stick only things? = P

Edit: Never mind. Must have just messed up entering the sequence somehow.

milesdm

Can anyone (Zomba) explain how to get the regular anticube in the observatory? Is it another one of those analog-stick only things? = P

From what's been said on Twitter (by Fish/Polytron), there isn't meant to be 33 of those. And I'm assuming that this is the one that's not meant to be in there, as there's no point of reference for this:
RT A A Right Right RT Left RT (repeat once).

You'll notice the extra one hangs outside of your inventory, and if I'm correct,
it forces the first/"bad" ending to play, as the sum of cubes is not 64.

In regards to patching, doesn't it take something like over a month for a patch to finally be available once it's submitted? I seem to remember reading something that it takes six weeks for it to be finalized. I'm debating on whether to get it now or hold off.

aloeh

Neo Member
Some worlds have a "S" icon for secret.

I think I have found the secrecy, but the icon still there. So i dunno if I found or not the secrecy.

Someone could post one image of QR Code? I didn´t found none.

Sorry my bad english and thanks.

Feep

Banned
I think the only thing really left to do that I can think of, assuming the throne rooms are just alternate QR codes...someone needs to fully transcribe the "nonsense" in the book artifact, and we need some actual cryptography to solve it. I'm an amateur, but if anyone knows a codebreaking friend, give them a call. = D

Edit: What the heck, man, the 33rd anticube didn't increase my completion percentage to 206.2%? I want my gloryyyyy

milesdm

In regards to patching, doesn't it take something like over a month for a patch to finally be available once it's submitted? I seem to remember reading something that it takes six weeks for it to be finalized. I'm debating on whether to get it now or hold off.

Renaud (the programmer) has also left for a week-long holiday today, so bear that in mind.

A good rule of thumb might be to try out the trial -- and if it at all irritates you (because it gets worse), hang fire for now. It does seem to only be affecting certain Xbox models, so, eh.

BluWacky

started up my game from last night, it crashes everytime I continue my game. Ugh.

now it lets me start, but I can't leave the room I stopped at.

There's a (now) known issue where if you leave the game in one of the tiny little rooms then the game will crash each time you reload it.

I had to restart from the beginning, but thankfully I hadn't really gotten that far so it wasn't the end of the world.

Renaud (the programmer) has also left for a week-long holiday today, so bear that in mind.

A good rule of thumb might be to try out the trial -- and if it at all irritates you (because it gets worse), hang fire for now. It does seem to only be affecting certain Xbox models, so, eh.

Yeah, I've got an older system so that's what has me concerned since from what I'm reading it's affecting those and small hard drives, which I also have. I'm away from home for the next couple of days so I can't even check out the trial.

Garcia Hotspur

Neo Member
I think the only thing really left to do that I can think of, assuming the throne rooms are just alternate QR codes...someone needs to fully transcribe the "nonsense" in the book artifact, and we need some actual cryptography to solve it. I'm an amateur, but if anyone knows a codebreaking friend, give them a call. = D

Edit: What the heck, man, the 33rd anticube didn't increase my completion percentage to 206.2%? I want my gloryyyyy

I came to complain about the glitches, but very briefly skimming the thread, looks like that's probably already been covered. I don't want to read too closely because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but so far...

1. Went to the second area, then to the third a little early. Doubled back to the second after clearing out the third for the cube I left behind, the framerate dropped a little.

2. The trial end video played when I went into the door. I let it play through to the black logo, then opened the guide, put in a card's code (dangerous to leave points on your account anymore when you don't have to), then closed the guide. Then hit "X" and... nothing. I had to go back with B, which took me right back to the door. Repeat, this time pressing X earlier.

3. Yes, unlock. I'd like to Continue so I don't lose my progress. Pick a profile? Ok... Gomez is just hanging in the air with no level around him. Pressing directions and buttons makes a few noises, I realize it's taken me back to the menu, but the video is frozen. So, time to start over.

At least it's restarted ok, and seems to be playing fine, even though my Xbox is a bit older. I understand now why Continue "shouldn't" have worked, but the game could've handled it more gracefully than that.
I skipped the mailbox. SEQUENCE BREAKING.

Zomba13

Edit: Never mind. Must have just messed up entering the sequence somehow.

XD I had the exact same problem. I was getting pissed off at it not working (I tried every combination of the pairs) and after mashing the triggers in frustration
and getting the first red cube
I realised I was mixing up my LT and RT symbols and then got it the first time.

EDIT:
WTF!? So I missed out on the 'good' (or gooder) ending because of a glitch!? There isn't meant to be 33 cubes!? I thought it was intentional because the Anit Cube screen was bigger (I mean the cube did fit on the screen). That sucks!

Zomba13

This is what I've got of the book so far. I gave up because of the gibberish. It's page order is how we use books (front to back) but translated how everything else is (top to bottom, right to left)

page1: ffilreww tnsrhtne typslhen oecnnaac hottonir drgtaeep ico
Page2:p
Page3:A
Page4:E
Page5:A
Page6:E
Page7:B
Page8:U/V
Page9:B

The letters past page one are just the big letters on their own page. I didn't bother with the rest.

Feep

Banned
Gomez can FLY!

Press up four times in a row, then hold jump. WHEEEEEEE! Didn't reveal anything in the monolith or riddle room, though.

Xander51

I enjoyed the trial enough to buy it when the first "Buy the game" prompt came up. I'm really digging the game, jankiness and all.

I love and hate it.

I love how Fish actually managed to build pretty cool levels using that rotating mechanic.

The problem with Fez is a pretty big, deep, underlying issue: Rotating around the world is fucking confusing. This very much feels like rotating the cam in something like Sim City or an RTS game, I don't really feel like I understand what's going on when I'm rotating. New stuff appears and I can solve those 'puzzles', but I don't solve them by using my brain, I solve them by just doing what the game designer wants me to do.

Also, I very much feel like Fez would've been sooooooo much better if the world would've been coherent. This is a Metroidvania where the exploration part is pretty much blotched, I never really know where I am or how I get from A to B. This is actually very confusing once I want to go to a place I already visited, yet I feel like I don't have any idea how to get there. So what happens is that I'm constantly going through things I already went through, which is very, very frustrating.

And the last bit: It's one big fetch quest. Dot tells me at the start to get X amount of cubes. This is no different than a NPC in a MMORPG telling me to get 10 furs and then bringing it back - there's no motivation for me to do any of that since I know that there's no way I progress in any other way. Yes, I can continue onwards with the game, but I never get shit for it in terms of gameplay. Compare this to Metroid or Zelda, where after every completed section, I get some new ability that then allows me to re-discover areas that I've already been to!

Don't get me wrong, Fez is a brilliant idea and the product is really nicely put together, but I do think it suffers from some very deep, underlying core issues that games like Metroid or Zelda already resolved over a decade ago. I want to KNOW how the world is built and I want to get a feeling of progression, I want to stay motivated to keep playing, yet apart from seeing more stuff, I don't really feel any other motivation.

And on top of all that, I just encountered my first infinite death loop by using the bomb on a wall, climbing the wall and after the wall reappears constantly falling to my death, not being able to get to ground anymore. I had to hard reset the Xbox, at which point instead of starting again, I just quit. Damn, Phil. You made something beautiful and genius, yet confusing and frustrating.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You made something beautiful and genius, yet confusing and frustrating.
He should have taken some tips from Japanese designers who typically specialize in this type of game. ;)

Probably should have hired some QA as well since his lack of respect for testers is fully represented in his product.

There's a lot of good in this game, but there are too many issues with it for my taste. I don't think it'll go down as a classic. Amongst other indie platformers (such as Limbo, Braid, and Cave Story) this is an infinitely less polished game with a lot of strange design decisions.

I really DO like it, but man, it's just not quite what it could have been.

Zomba13

I feel like such an idiot for asking this, but
how do you get through the door behind the waterfall?

That stumped me for a good long while. It's an
input puzzle to do with the stone tablet in the area. You will probably find out how to solve them if you haven't already as you explore the world. There are a few rooms that help you figure them out.

And yeah, the issues in this game are really frustrating, especially the fact that if you have 33 anti-cubes instead of 32 it breaks the games ending. I did think 33 Anti-Cubes was a spoiler or something to do with end game stuff but nope, it's a glitch that fucks you over.

IF YOU HAVE 32 ANTI-CUBES AND THERE IS STILL A PUZZLE TO DO DO NOT DO IT.

That stumped me for a good long while. It's an
input puzzle to do with the stone tablet in the area. You will probably find out how to solve them if you haven't already as you explore the world. There are a few rooms that help you figure them out.

Ah ok thanks

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I instabought it and played it for about 20 minutes....

It hasn't really grabbed me. I don't even get what's going on in the map and don't feel motivated to progress. I think I might not like it. the rotation thing doesn't do much for me.

Feep

Banned
Read the lovely OT I wrote! There's a build that runs from Windows binaries, and that's how they've been demoing it at some events. (I played it off Phil's laptop in a cinema at GameCity).
Who...who *is* Zia? Kairi Vice? Jen Zee?

Of course, the game is coded in XNA, which means it runs fine on PCs. Fish is just being silly.

Zane

I have a ton of possible leads for anyone stuck on the security question. I post this in hopes of sparking a discussion on solving this. I haven't seen a single person on the internet discuss what I've found.

So the first thing I noticed was that the answer has to be eight letters long. Obviously. So the question is "What's my name?" And the hint is "My first half is what it is. My second half is half of what made it." Okay, everyone knows this so far.

But I made some discoveries I haven't seen talked about elsewhere. So one of the owls in the game says this upon talking to him: "The 13 circles. 64-bit name of God." Sounds like nonsense but I filed it away in my brain for later use. And this instantly came to mind when I discovered the security question puzzle. Here's why this is absolutely a hint.

64 bits is eight characters in ASCII. The answer to the question is eight letters long. Now, we have precedence for the game having you translate things into ASCII. There was the observatory which had you transcribe binary and then covert it into ASCII. So I wouldn't consider something like that a huge stretch.

Especially when you consider all the other evidence. You know how the owl mentioned "the 13 circles"? Another owl mentions "sacred geometry." The 13 circles is also known as a geometric figure called the Flower of Life, a religious symbol depicting the fundamental forms of space and time. The Flower of Life is also said to be sacred geometry.

In Judeo-Christian tradition, the Flower of Life also represents the six days of creation, in which God created life and the universe. In a famous passage in the Hebrew Bible, God says "I am that I am." This sounds very familiar to the question's hint of "My first half is what it is.

Now, one of the things associated with the Flower of Life, or the 13 circles, is Metatron's Cube, another figure of sacred geometry. Metatron's Cube is created from 13 equal circles. And Metatron is an angel mentioned in apocrypha such as the Second Book of Enoch. In these texts, it is said that Metatron is second only to YHVH, or God, in terms of rank of spiritual beings.

So here are the answers I tried, which didn't work:

Metatron
Cubetron (can't use "c" and "u" at the same time)
Troncube (likewise)

This is all of what I've managed to figure out. I do think this puzzle is heavily linked to religious symbolism. So anyone who's an expert on that stuff... feel free to chime in.

Zomba13

Zia is an anti-cube.

The 33rd one that fucked me out of my better ending? I hate that anti-cube :(

I have a ton of possible leads for anyone stuck on the security question. I post this in hopes of sparking a discussion on solving this. I haven't seen a single person on the internet discuss what I've found.

So the first thing I noticed was that the answer has to be eight letters long. Obviously. So the question is "What's my name?" And the hint is "My first half is what it is. My second half is half of what made it." Okay, everyone knows this so far.

But I made some discoveries I haven't seen talked about elsewhere. So one of the owls in the game says this upon talking to him: "The 13 circles. 64-bit name of God." Sounds like nonsense but I filed it away in my brain for later use. And this instantly came to mind when I discovered the security question puzzle. Here's why this is absolutely a hint.

64 bits is eight characters in ASCII. The answer to the question is eight letters long. Now, we have precedence for the game having you translate things into ASCII. There was the observatory which had you transcribe binary and then covert it into ASCII. So I wouldn't consider something like that a huge stretch.

Especially when you consider all the other evidence. You know how the owl mentioned "the 13 circles"? Another owl mentions "sacred geometry." The 13 circles is also known as a geometric figure called the Flower of Life, a religious symbol depicting the fundamental forms of space and time. The Flower of Life is also said to be sacred geometry.

In Judeo-Christian tradition, the Flower of Life also represents the six days of creation, in which God created life and the universe. In a famous passage in the Hebrew Bible, God says "I am that I am." This sounds very familiar to the question's hint of "My first half is what it is.

Now, one of the things associated with the Flower of Life, or the 13 circles, is Metatron's Cube, another figure of sacred geometry. Metatron's Cube is created from 13 equal circles. And Metatron is an angel mentioned in apocrypha such as the Second Book of Enoch. In these texts, it is said that Metatron is second only to YHVH, or God, in terms of rank of spiritual beings.

Metatron
Troncube (likewise)

This is all of what I've managed to figure out. I do think this puzzle is heavily linked to religious symbolism. So anyone who's an expert on that stuff... feel free to chime in.

I think you are definitely onto something there. Do we have a list of everything the
owls
say? I think they are important for these last two puzzles. And what Dot says about them. Though I think the only hint that offers is for the graveyard statue.

Feep

Banned

Metatron
Troncube (likewise)

When I thought of Metatron, even not knowing all the crazy stuff you just said, I just FELT like it was the answer. It seemed right to me. It IS Meta, and half of Polytron just seems obvious.

But the real question is, are we entering it correctly? I tried Metatron on the door-side of the room, with spaces, without spaces, reversed with spaces, reversed without spaces. But remember, all writing in the game is vertical. There IS theoretically a way to get all eight cubes stacked vertically, if you use the lower ledge, but the blocks don't want to go higher than two...they fall into each other, like a weird glitch.

There are five "circles" (squares, but they're concentric and look like a target) in the 4-cube door area. 7 squares and 8 square patterns also exist on the ground in some other areas...

DIS GAME.

I thought nothing could top being one of the first in the world to climb the Limbo leaderboards finding the super secret eggs that add to completion %. Some of those were so clever and me and my friends were among the first in the world to leak them once we figured them.

But Fez tops this.

Some of these puzzles are so clever that when I figure something out I sometimes can't believe it. It's just too bad that FEZ 2 will probably never be made because it'll take another damn 5 years :lol

Zomba13

I hope that getting the
Red Cubes
lets me see a different ending or else I'd be pissed.
I wonder what the odds are that they will do nothing. I hope they have a 'whoamygosh' reveal like the stars in braid.

megalowho

Just finished, ended up loving it. Environmental detail and pixel animation was striking throughout, figured it would be but damn what a gorgeous game. From the dreamlike level design to the stunning soundtrack, the alphanumerical systems to the mythological clues, Fez just feels satisfyingly cohesive from top to bottom.

I even liked the lack of direction since getting lost often yielded unexpected rewards. Tried to just follow doors wherever they would take me and go with the flow. There's a lot more puzzle variety and density in there than I expected, too. Shame about the technical issues, no crashes for me but noticeable slowdown during transitions that increased over time.

Can't wait to get a NG+ going and uncover more secrets, want that best ending. Bravo Polytron, this one will stick with me for a while.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question, just starting and can't seem to get back to the area with all the doors. The warp gates say to choose where you won't to go then hit up on the dpad. I cant figure out how to choose where I want to go, and can't figure out how to get back to the room with the doors.

Zane

When I thought of Metatron, even not knowing all the crazy stuff you just said, I just FELT like it was the answer. It seemed right to me. It IS Meta, and half of Polytron just seems obvious.

But the real question is, are we entering it correctly? I tried Metatron on the door-side of the room, with spaces, without spaces, reversed with spaces, reversed without spaces. But remember, all writing in the game is vertical. There IS theoretically a way to get all eight cubes stacked vertically, if you use the lower ledge, but the blocks don't want to go higher than two...they fall into each other, like a weird glitch.

There are five "circles" (squares, but they're concentric and look like a target) in the 4-cube door area. 7 squares and 8 square patterns also exist on the ground in some other areas...

Yeah I tried entering Metatron all the same ways you did. Here are all the letters that can be used. A, G, M, S can all be used twice. B, H, N, T can all be used thrice. C, I, O, U/V, E, K, Q, X, F, L, R, Y can all be used only once.

megalowho

Question, just starting and can't seem to get back to the area with all the doors. The warp gates say to choose where you won't to go then hit up on the dpad. I cant figure out how to choose where I want to go, and can't figure out how to get back to the room with the doors.
Rotate near a gate until you see the blue warp, take that. The purple door to that area is below you there.

It actually has its own normal door below the warp gate, at the bottom.

Edit: That is if you mean the purple place with the floating columns.

Ridley327

Hmm, I was at a green warp gate, taking leads me back to a blue one, but I don't see any way to get back to the area with all the doors. No purple door...

The area you're specifically looking for has sign posts beside it (which, using the alphabet, amusingly spell out
warp room
); since you've already gone through the door to get to that area, it won't be there, but you can go back through the opening to the area just before. Simply navigate all the way back down to reach the main gate's door.

There is another way in there, but it's hidden in plain sight in one of the other hubs.

Zomba13

Security room spoilers
I'm 99% sure that the letters need to be on the level they are found. I tried to stack some below and found they don't 'lock' into place. On the level they are found if you nudge one it'll slide into a spot but down below it will stay however little you nudge it.

Also I think you might need to have the letters in the diagonal line like how they are found. like with how the Tetris shape puzzle worked.

EDIT:
SECURITY CODE CRACKED. It IS METATRON just on its side!

Top Bottom