• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Cranzor

Finished it today. There's some really obscure secrets that are fun to figure out.

(Secret that is later on in the game)
I found a room with a telescope. When I looked through it, I noticed two red dots in the top left of the screen. They blink in a pattern so I realized that they are probably a representation of what I have to hit on the bumpers. I did it and an artifact (I think?) appeared on top of the telescope. It doesn't appear in my inventory or give me an achievement so I have no idea what it is.

Daigoro

im about 19 cubes in so far and really enjoying it. more than i thought i would, so thats good.

Ok, what is up with the framerate hitching? There are near constant minor skips throughout and it definitely hurts the visual presentation. Anyone else seeing it? They're small skips that prevent it from feeling completely smooth.

yeah it sucks. there are a slew of technical issues with the game, framerate hitching, music cutting in and out, crashing (happened to me once so far).

it really brings the whole product down a notch. im overlooking the flaws so far and having a good time, but it could be so much better...

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Hey guys, I'm trying not to ruin shit for myself, but question:

Should I be able to figure out these "Secrets" on my first play through or when I first encounter them? Or are they something to come back to later?

I can't help but wonder if the performance problems are purely down to XNA being shit? I mean, Blueberry Garden had slowdown too. I guess there are plenty of indie XNA titles I haven't played that did well. But those two spring to mind, and many others seem to be less ambitious.
Hey guys, I'm trying not to ruin shit for myself, but question:

Should I be able to figure out these "Secrets" on my first play through or when I first encounter them? Or are they something to come back to later?

The dev said on twitter, that if you can't work something out.. it's best to just come back later. From my playthrough, I'd agree. You can breeze through the game without doing too many obtuse puzzles, and then New Game + what you didn't get.

Zomba13

Okay I now have (big spoilers and all that)
32 Gold cubes and 33 Anit cubes
A Red cube (which I believe is the red cube in the 64 cube door under the tree pyramid

I assume that the other two pieces of the thing are from the Black Rectangle room and the Security Question Room.

If a major AAA retail release like Mass Effect 3 or MW3 did this people would be screaming bloody murder. I literally cannot believe the amount of shit this game is getting away with, even with the multitude of complaints people are having about stuttering, freezing/crashing, and being booted to dashboard.

Both ME3 and MW3 have crashed to dash on me at least three times a piece, which is six times more than Fez has done.

Onionkid

Maybe it's to do with this costing $10 vs $60. Or this being developed by a few guys rather than having a team of people who are only there to find bugs. There are more people on QA for a major AAA title than made the whole of Fez.

I'm willing to cut them some slack, and I've lost zero progress in a crash because it autosaves often. All I lose is a few seconds to reload the game. Also, they've said they're fixing stuff.

Yea I think, at least for me, that this can be why I'm willing to overlook the issues thus far. So far, I've had the game boot to dashboard a handful of times when I enter a random door, tons of stuttering at times as well as locking up/freezing on save screens. Typically I'd be right there with anyone else giving the game hell for it, but I think it's just because the errors are so quick to get around with a fast reboot and that the game is so absorbing that I'm overlooking it. Though I'll certainly agree in saying it's one of the buggier games I've played this gen...it's astonishing how often mine has messed up on me. The losing zero progress part is a highlight too...I just got finished playing through Syndicate, and god knows a decent sized, EA backed FPS title would just randomly lose my stats if I hopped between single player and online co-op, so it seems minor in comparison to outright losing things I've done.

I'm at 125% so far on my save and I've gotta say this is one of my fave games of the year, prob one of my fave XBLA titles so far. When this thing gets patched and becomes stable...oh man I'll sing nothing but praise.

Zomba13

So I have no clue what to do now. I have
Finished with 32 cubes and 33 anticubes and received the 3D glasses but the ending was the same as when I only had 32. I expected something different. I've just got the black rectangle room and the security question room to do now and I don't have a clue what to do. I'm at 200% complete.

ced

I finally opened the 16 cube door now I don't know where to go. I must be missing something, I've gone about everywhere on the shitty map.

Great game so far, with the exception of the map and navigation.

Marco1

Even though I have only played Fez for a few hours, I can't get this game out of my head.
I personally think it's absolutely glorious and will be saddened when I finish it. It's games like Fez that make me glad gaming is an interest of mine.
Also Renaud has stated he's working with MS to resolve issues: http://polytroncorporation.com/

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Damn, I just read a review of this that explained it to me after thinking for the longest time that it was just another indie platformer. I need to see if my roomate will let me use his 360

Zomba13

Damn, I just read a review of this that explained it to me after thinking for the longest time that it was just another indie platformer. I need to see if my roomate will let me use his 360

Yeah, I thought for the longest time that this was just going to be a nice indie platformer/collectathon but was very pleasantly surprised when it was more like a puzzle game like Braid.

Duderz

Banned
I am about 10 cubes in with
2 anti-cubes and 1 hidden artifact.

So far, I am really enjoying this game. The navigation is not the best, but the variety of locations and clever puzzles really shine. And the soundtrack....man, I'm so glad there's going to be a release for it.

Zeppelin

Al right, the game just turned literally unplayable for me. It crashes and throws me to the dashboard every five minutes or so now. Consistently. I had it happen 5 times before I gave up. Fuck this piece of shit. Too bad, it's an enjoyable game when it's working.

And finished. Not completely, obviously, but I saw them there credits. Cool little game, sans the awful, awful technical hindrances. Probably gonna wait for a patch before I go back in. There is a patch in the works, right?

Al right, the game just turned literally unplayable for me. It crashes and throws me to the dashboard every five minutes or so now. Consistently. I had it happen 5 times before I gave up. Fuck this piece of shit. Too bad, it's an enjoyable game when it's working.

There has to be some relation to hardware revisions or memory devices to the game's performance. I've yet to hit a single crash and I'm 20 cubes in. Frame rate is also stable except for a minor hiccup here and there. I feel bad for the people experiencing the technical issues, hope it gets resolved soon. This is the most fun I've had with a game in ages.

amorbis

Need assistance with a hidden treasure chest.

There is a little house above the lighthouse and above that is a blue mechanical-type of room. My map says it has a treasure chest, but all I find is some ladders, a door to the cube-requirement room, and another door leading out. Where is the treasure chest?

Zeppelin

Need assistance with a hidden treasure chest.

There is a little house above the lighthouse and above that is a blue mechanical-type of room. My map says it has a treasure chest, but all I find is some ladders, a door to the cube-requirement room, and another door leading out. Where is the treasure chest?

If I'm thinking of the right room, you'll need a treasure map for that one. The treasure is high above you, the map show you how to get to it.

There has to be some relation to hardware revisions or memory devices to the game's performance. I've yet to hit a single crash and I'm 20 cubes in. Frame rate is also stable except for a minor hiccup here and there. I feel bad for the people experiencing the technical issues, hope it gets resolved soon. This is the most fun I've had with a game in ages.

Maybe. I had a lot of issues yesterday but I've been able to play for most of today without any problems. Up until now, that is. I'm ~60 cubes in.

Edit: Started it up again. Crashed as soon as it had finished loading. What a joke.

Marco1

I agree totally. My 250gb slim has issues with braid that causes it to lockup.
If the fault lies with different hardware revisions then I can't see how they will fix it.
What model do you have?

Tunavi

Banned
started up my game from last night, it crashes everytime I continue my game. Ugh.

now it lets me start, but I can't leave the room I stopped at.

Now that I actually know how to read the game's map (And "beat" the game with 32 cubes thus far), it's getting considerably easier to navigate. The map actually makes plenty of sense once you figure it out, and is much more obvious than you'd think. I love all of the hidden secrets, passageways, and all the crazy things put in the game you'd never think of. I've had doors in completely obscure areas lead me to other parts of Fez's gameworld, incredible.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ha haven't had single glitch but the second I showed this game off to some one it crashed to the dashboard the second the level loaded.

Cranzor

Not sure if this is a spoiler, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's about the alphabet in the game.

It took me about an hour to decipher all of the letters and how to read the messages. I wanted to put it to use on a puzzle I was stuck on and the hint was "dot to dot". I spent an hour for some useless clue?

Another spoiler regarding a puzzle later on.

You can actually get into the room with the big owl statue by turning rotating the area so you can see the front of the door and you are a silhouette in the background, if that makes sense. Line your shadow up with the door, press up and you'll go through. I actually thought that was how you are supposed to get in there until I got all of the owls and they opened a door that led to the same room. So I got in through a glitch I guess.

I'm still having fun with the game. My favorite game this year so far.

Ha haven't had single glitch but the second I showed this game off to some one it crashed to the dashboard the second the level loaded.

That is crazy. I have 60 XBLA games and have never had a single game ending glitch. Hope this all gets fixed in a relatively quick fashion, 'cause the game looks awesome.

Had a problem where I was constantly falling to my death and thought it was a blocker bug. Got so bummed out that he kept dying over and over again thinking I would have to start the whole game over again.......... until I hit the RT ;)

Atomski

Im at 22 cubes and have not had a single crash. I have fell out of a room a couple times by being pressed through a wall.. but it just zaps you back so wasnt much of a deal at all.

Wonder whats up.. I can understand a one man job being glitchy but you would think MS would have at least done some testing and helped him out.

Tunavi

Banned
Wonder whats up.. I can understand a one man job being glitchy but you would think MS would have at least done some testing and helped him out.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm really enjoying the, I have to admit. They really knocked this one out of the park...at least from a design standpoint.

Now, the fucking technical issues are another story. I'm dealing with them but they really shouldn't there when the game has been cooking for so long.

branny

I'm really happy this game is finally out, but I didn't like the demo at all. It seems like a lot of people are enjoying the full game (with a few caveats here and there), so maybe I'll give it an earnest try if it goes on sale sometime in the future after things get smoothed out.

I haven't had any of the technical issues people are mentioning. Game runs smooth. However, as I'm progressing, I'm starting to get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of areas. Like, I haven't even completed the areas connecting to the first warp area, and then I stumble upon a whole new place with 8 more hexagons.

Im at 22 cubes and have not had a single crash. I have fell out of a room a couple times by being pressed through a wall.. but it just zaps you back so wasnt much of a deal at all.

Ditto. I just have a Slim Arcade and was pushed out of a room once (got excited because I thought it was a secret, lol). But that reset me right away.

At around 26ish cubes and no crashes. Occasionally a frame rate hiccup but only when loading into new levels.

I'm really digging the game, but boy does the world feel overwhelming. The only thing I wish you could do was zap straight to levels you've already been to from the map screen instead of trying to stumble your way through the multitude of doors.

Cranzor

I haven't had any of the technical issues people are mentioning. Game runs smooth. However, as I'm progressing, I'm starting to get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of areas. Like, I haven't even completed the areas connecting to the first warp area, and then I stumble upon a whole new place with 8 more hexagons.

I had the same problem as you in the beginning before I understood how to use the map. Just keep going through them and check your map to make sure you found everything in each room. If you can't find a secret or something, just keep going and come back to it later.

Zane

So uh, I think my map might be bugged. I have 32 golden cubes and 30 anti cubes plus all four artifacts and this one red cube I got in the observatory. But all the rooms on my map indicate there aren't anymore secrets except for
the black monolith room and the security
. I really don't want to wait around for the clock tower

Zomba13

So uh, I think my map might be bugged. I have 32 golden cubes and 30 anti cubes plus all four artifacts and this one red cube I got in the observatory. But all the rooms on my map indicate there aren't anymore secrets except for
the black monolith room and the security
. I really don't want to wait around for the clock tower

Do you have the clock tower anti cubes? You can 'cheat' to get them by disconnecting from XBL and messing with the system clock (I did that). I think though that it doesn't give you leaderboard % because I'm at 200% with 32 cubes, 33 anti-cubes, all artifacts, all secrets except monolith and security room and 1 red cube. Unless all that stuff = 200% with Monolith up to and security making up the 9 or so % that only one guy has last I checked.

Zane

Do you have the clock tower anti cubes? You can 'cheat' to get them by disconnecting from XBL and messing with the system clock (I did that). I think though that it doesn't give you leaderboard % because I'm at 200% with 32 cubes, 33 anti-cubes, all artifacts, all secrets except monolith and security room and 1 red cube. Unless all that stuff = 200% with Monolith up to and security making up the 9 or so % that only one guy has last I checked.

No I don't have those. What times should I set the clock to?

Zomba13

No I don't have those. What times should I set the clock to?

It changes each day I think.
There are 4 in total, the red one is easiest, it's like every min or so
Blue is like every hour or something
Green and grey both take a long time I know that if you set the time to 5am on the 15th of this month (tomorrow) then you will get the grey. Best set the time to like, the min before the hour and use the fly ability to get up there (up 4 times then hold A)
I think the green one was 8pm on the 14th. 8 or 9.

milesdm

Unless all that stuff = 200% with Monolith up to and security making up the 9 or so % that only one guy has last I checked.

Nah. I've got the same as you describe, yet I'm at 206.2% / 7th on leaderboards. Even disconnected from Live for the clock tower, as you did.

Zomba13

Nah. I've got the same as you describe, yet I'm at 206.2% / 7th on leaderboards. Even disconnected from Live for the clock tower, as you did.

Hmmm weird. I really don't think I'm missing anything. Everything is gold for me except the two rooms and I've 'finished' the game three times just to be sure.

geebee

Banned
So, Phil Fish really doesn't care about QA? Is that safe to say given the bugs encountered and his comment about testers shouldn't be included in the credits of a game?

Top Bottom