• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Danielsan

Finished the game with 32 cubes. Didn't entirely mean to, but I figured I'd get some kind of
translation tool
after the final door, which of course I didn't. The opening in new game+ is hilarious. I highly doubt I'll get the other 32 cubes. I feel like I need to actually decipher his make shift alphabet in order to solve some of the puzzles. Which I'm not exactly keen on. I thought the
QR code puzzle
was ridiculously cool though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ok, what is up with the framerate hitching? There are near constant minor skips throughout and it definitely hurts the visual presentation. Anyone else seeing it? They're small skips that prevent it from feeling completely smooth.

Danielsan

Ok, what is up with the framerate hitching? There are near constant minor skips throughout and it definitely hurts the visual presentation. Anyone else seeing it? They're small skips that prevent it from feeling completely smooth.
Near the end it felt like the game was stuttering 20% of the time. Figured it was my old as hell Xbox360 ready to die on me for the third time.

Zeppelin

ok, im calling it.

This game is as good as SUPER METROID. i cant stop playing its sooooo goood.

Seriously? The game is broken. It literally crashes from time to time. It's the buggiest game I've played in the almost 7 years this generation has spanned. Don't people take stuff like that into consideration?

Finished the game with 32 cubes. Didn't entirely mean to, but I figured I'd get some kind of
translation tool
after the final door, which of course I didn't. The opening in new game+ is hilarious. I highly doubt I'll get the other 32 cubes. I feel like I need to actually decipher his make shift alphabet in order to solve some of the puzzles. Which I'm not exactly keen on. I thought the
QR code puzzle
was ridiculously cool though.

The opening in NG+ is Phil Fish's response to all the salty haters :lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Branches off the waterfall area near the "start"

speaking of which, does anyone know how to get in the door behind the waterfall? :/

I have no idea where that is lol

do you mean the room with the 4 doors that take 4, 8 and 16 cubes to open? It has a black and red background with lots of pink waterfalls.

Zia

Seriously? The game is broken. It literally crashes from time to time. It's the buggiest game I've played in the almost 7 years this generation has spanned. Don't people take stuff like that into consideration?

I wouldn't call it "broken." I've played through most of the game on PC and 360 and haven't had a single crash. Some slowdown, definitely, which is easily remedied by quitting to the dashboard.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Not when it doesn't happen to them. I've played about 6 or so hours so far with no issue.

Not when it doesn't happen to them. I've played about 6 or so hours so far with no issue.

Aside from the minor slowdown during loading, I haven't had much of a problem here, neither. 40+ cubes in. I wouldn't call this game broken, although it has some issues that are saved by the fact that it's actually a really good game with lots of charm and attention to detail.

I must say, I'm pleasantly surprised.

ape2man

it really does not bug out on me.

Reclaimer

Love the visuals so far (couple hours in). So clean and vibrant... I knew Fez would look neat, but was in awe at how gorgeous it is on a large HDTV screen.

I wish Cave Story 3D on the 3DS went for this art style.

MrDaravon

Put me on the list of people who had the game crash to dashboard. Not the end of the world, just a minor annoyance.

If a major AAA retail release like Mass Effect 3 or MW3 did this people would be screaming bloody murder. I literally cannot believe the amount of shit this game is getting away with, even with the multitude of complaints people are having about stuttering, freezing/crashing, and being booted to dashboard.

JesseZao

Maybe it was just the tired state I was in last night, but the vibrant color changing scenerey put me in some kind of trance at one point early on. I couldnt look away, twas the closest I've been to tripping out prob.

Loving the game so far and I'm glad that it's a 800 pt title. Great quality for the less used price point. First xbla game I've bought in almost a year.

If a major AAA retail release like Mass Effect 3 or MW3 did this people would be screaming bloody murder. I literally cannot believe the amount of shit this game is getting away with, even with the multitude of complaints people are having about stuttering, freezing/crashing, and being booted to dashboard.

Plenty of big budget retail games have crashed on me and gone as far as to freeze up the Xbox.

It's not a good thing, but it didn't happen often to me at all, about twice in 8 hours (more when I wast testing to see what triggered it though).

The beggining of the ng+ is seriously amazing.

It certainly is :D

There is an early room, a square room with four rows of four doors. And when you go into a door, you come out of another random door in the same room. I cannot find what to do and it is driving me MAD. Please help.

Maybe it's to do with this costing $10 vs $60. Or this being developed by a few guys rather than having a team of people who are only there to find bugs. There are more people on QA for a major AAA title than made the whole of Fez.

I'm willing to cut them some slack, and I've lost zero progress in a crash because it autosaves often. All I lose is a few seconds to reload the game. Also, they've said they're fixing stuff.

There is an early room, a square room with four rows of four doors. And when you go into a door, you come out of another random door in the same room. I cannot find what to do and it is driving me MAD. Please help.

This is something to do with treasure maps. I don't know what yet though.

Zomba13

So I have 32 Cubes and 31 Anti cubes with secrets left in:
Clock tower. Need Green and Grey to hit the cube.
Black Cuboid room
Security Question.
64 cube room

Also, has anyone deciphered the
Book Artifact
? When I tried it just came out as gibberish (granted, I did give up after the first page). It's not my translation, my letters are all right (everything else has translated perfectly).

MrDaravon

Maybe it's to do with this costing $10 vs $60. Or this being developed by a few guys rather than having a team of people who are only there to find bugs. There are more people on QA for a major AAA title than made the whole of Fez.

I'm willing to cut them some slack, and I've lost zero progress in a crash because it autosaves often. All I lose is a few seconds to reload the game. Also, they've said they're fixing stuff.

Agreed, but I'm just more surprised this passed Certification; fuck the game glitched out on me at the end of the demo when I tried to buy the game lol. Also any slack I would have cut them is negated by the fact that this game has been in production for what, like 5 years? It's ridiculous that it still has technical issues this major.

There's four treasure maps that look gridlike. They have holes where the symbols replace doorways in the level you're stuck on and you match each to the perspective. In red on the maps are both a symbol and a doorway. The symbol is part of the number system telling you the order in which to go through the four doorways shown on the treasure maps. I found the symbols for how to count to three in one of the classrooms and took a picture of that and was easily able to figure out which symbol was fourth by what was left over.

Zomba13

Agreed, but I'm just more surprised this passed Certification; fuck the game glitched out on me at the end of the demo when I tried to buy the game lol. Also any slack I would have cut them is negated by the fact that this game has been in production for what, like 5 years? It's ridiculous that it still has technical issues this major.

I'm more forgiving of it because every time it's crashed on me it's booted me back tot he dashboard and I can quickly get in and it autosaves whenever you enter a room so you never really lose progress (well I haven't). I am shocked at how glitchy it is. I was shocked when I Am Alive crashed on me and it only happened once in that game.

That room with the ten ways
to unwrap a cube
is driving me nuts! I still have not figured it out!
Am I wrong that one of those ways not right? And I know there's at least eleven ways to do it... but I can't figure out what it is that is required of me. :(

Zomba13

to unwrap a cube
Am I wrong that one of those ways not right? And I know there's at least eleven ways to do it... but I can't figure out what it is that is required of me. :(

Is that the room with all the blocks? I just tried to go through all the ways and then at one point during my rotation a block fell from where it was and it just worked. No clue what I did but I didn't complain.

Having beaten the game and now up to forty-something cubes I had it lock the system up twice (same room but NOT due to me trying to get it to bug out) and then crash to dashboard once (multiple more times as I tested what was doing it in the room and confirmed every permutation). Of course there's the usual comments about the stuttering (a fix seems to be going to dashboard and reloading the game after it becomes too common). I had the music cut out once or twice as well. There's also the obvious ability of being able to push myself through walls in a couple rooms. In fact the room that crashed to dashboard (bookcase room) had a really weird issue where it let me walk through one of the walls repeatedly and I even found an invisible platform out in the black space. Once I rotated the camera I was no longer able to walk through the wall but it made me try to repeat it because I was so sure that I must have to climb some invisible blocks out in the black space around the room. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

Regardless, I agree with all statements that the game is super buggy and disappointing for that. I'd love to see a patch that clears up these issues.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I pop in every now and then to glance through the thread, but I won't dare look at a single hint or spoiler or anything at all, and I hope others will be the same as well. The game is just too good and has been on the way for far too long to do that to myself.

Wow... The demo is damn awful.

I'm told the main game is far better, but the trial was a total bore.
They should've picked a better level to play in.

The demo is nothing compared to the full game.

In fact, that very part of the demo is missing lots from the full game, plus you miss that awesome intro.

Does anyone have any tips as to entering the combinations on the purple pillars? I am pretty sure I am doing the right thing, do I need to be next to them or on top of them or something?

EDIT: nevermind needed to use the bumpers for some reason.

Vert boil

to unwrap a cube

ooo
xxooo

xx is the step. oooooo are the blocks you can pick up. I'd recommend moving the blocks hidden behind the pillar first as the foreground ones can glitch and drop to the lower level if you move them first.

ooo
xxooo

xx is the step. oooooo are the blocks you can pick up. I'd recommend moving the blocks hidden behind the pillar first as the foreground ones can glitch and drop to the lower level if you move them first.

OH!
That's my problem then... I thought you could only push them - hadn't even noticed you could pick them up. *thunk* I was actually trying to do that pattern at one point but I couldn't get three blocks to the top.

Zomba13

Oh wow. Didn't know there was a way to
fly
on your NG+ games.

I found it by accident and then googled it to see what it was and found out about it
Press up 4 times and then hold A

Is there a way to speed up the clock thing? Does disconnecting from live and altering your system clock help?

milesdm

So I have 32 Cubes and 31 Anti cubes with secrets left in:
Also, has anyone deciphered the
Book Artifact
? When I tried it just came out as gibberish (granted, I did give up after the first page). It's not my translation, my letters are all right (everything else has translated perfectly).
I thought I was getting somewhere when
I started taking each repeated letter, so I got "FATE ON A MAN" from the first two pages before it just turned into nonsense again. Oh well. Didn't work with the big letters on the backs of pages anyways.
:-(

Is there a way to speed up the clock thing? Does disconnecting from live and altering your system clock help?

Yeah, I did this. I can at least remember
the green hand is somewhere around midnight and ~5am for the grey hand. Changes each day, so I had the date as 15th for the 5am bit. (I think).

One word spoilers :/ I'm outta here.

Just finished the game, pretty cool ending.

As for Super Metroid comparisons, it certainly has the ambitions to be of that calibre. But the production values let it down, and ultimately I question how much this game has created for itself. Do we like it because it reminds us of games of yonder or because it is something new?

Top Bottom