• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

I watched a video with some "timed" puzzle, but I am more interested with some reflexion oriented puzzle. Someone has a link to a video showing the kind of the challenge the game offers later ?

The challenge comes from working some things out about the world around you and solving puzzles. There are a few reflex-oriented sections (the sewers, one or two hidden rooms), but most levels have no real pressure to them, no hazards to speak of besides falling, and generally won't test your platformer mettle.

neoism

Hey guyz, I wanted to know if there is some video with some "advanced" puzzle.

I tried the demo, I liked the atmosphere and the mechanics, but I am a bit afraid of the lack of challenge.

I watched a video with some "timed" puzzle, but I am more interested with some reflexion oriented puzzle. Someone has a link to a video showing the kind of the challenge the game offers later ?

lol

Zomba13

The
glitch room
has that one disintegrating platform in it; I guess that counts for about a second of twitch-based platforming?

Oh yeah, I guess that and the pink/teal room too. But yeah, not many hard platforming challenges. Most of the harder stuff in the game is to do with figuring out the puzzles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't know if the constant stutter is just from data. Surely some of it is, but there's a stutter that seems to happen every single second on a set interval. I know that, on PC, older versions of XNA have this exact same kind of regular stutter when you turn on vsync. I'm kinda leaning toward that being the case here, but I don't know for sure if the issues that I saw on PC happen on a 360.
Interesting. There definitely IS a constant stutter that occurs at an interval so it certainly seems possible.

I'm surprised they didn't catch the issue and address it, however.

Barryman

Interesting. There definitely IS a constant stutter that occurs at an interval so it certainly seems possible.

I'm surprised they didn't catch the issue and address it, however.

My theory:

Every frame, a "filter amount" variable is set on the BGM cue. In XNA, this is done through a horrible COM interface with XACT that generates garbage. It would stand to reason that since this call is being made every frame, it generates a constant amount of garbage every frame, and would create a stutter when the garbage collector is called.

As an aside, this is actually one of the top reasons that I am going to abandon XNA -- the developers of the framework have abandoned support for XACT, even though it remains the only viable method to do interesting stuff with sound in XNA other than directly manipulating buffers.

It really is a shame because I do think that the jerkiness is bad enough that it detracts from the audio-visual experience, which is otherwise a landmark achievement.

hank_tree

This is how I feel about the game. It does not built upon itself, rather the learning process ends about 15 minutes into the game. After that no new concepts are introduced beyond a long series of opaque riddles that do not build from or get solved by learning about or applying game mechanics. That was a big part of Braid's genius, but Fez whiffs completely.

I like Fez a lot but I totally agree with this. Braid was amazing because it kept introducing new mechanics and forced you to use those mechanics in unique ways to solve a variety of puzzles. Fez has one central mechanic and never requires you to do anything too different with it.

Zezboob

The only time reflex style challenge I can think of it the red room with lava and it can be kinda tricky. Other than that I can't really think of any. The puzzles are much more cerebral. Lot's of deciphering codes etc.
The challenge comes from working some things out about the world around you and solving puzzles. There are a few reflex-oriented sections (the sewers, one or two hidden rooms), but most levels have no real pressure to them, no hazards to speak of besides falling, and generally won't test your platformer mettle.
Ok thanks. Not that platform and action bother me, far from that , but I wanted to know the nature of the challenges, and I was afraid that there would be only timed challenges in order to complicate things.

Good to know what I should expect. Now I need to have an idea of the complexity of the puzzles. =)

U mad ? :D

How about showing what kind of nightmare I could expect ? Because that's the very purpose of my question. I don't want to question your skills or your brains, but since I don't know you, a simple "lol" won't bring me an idea of the difficulty.

kylej

Banned
Can't believe some of you guys are already through the cubes and anticubes and now on this super weird shit. I think I have 8 regular cubes right now and one anticube. I need more free time :(

Barryman

I like Fez a lot but I totally agree with this. Braid was amazing because it kept introducing new mechanics and forced you to use those mechanics in unique ways to solve a variety of puzzles. Fez has one central mechanic and never requires you to do anything too different with it.

I thought Fez is refreshing because it breaks from that standard formula. To me, Fez is more of an exploration game than a puzzle game, and I think it's really successful at doing something new rather than retreading the same "puzzle game" structure based around a hot new mechanic.

So is there an
anticube in either of the throne rooms?
. I read several places that people are using codes in the rooms but I have not been able to get one to pop.

Ridley327

So is there an
anticube in either of the throne rooms?
. I read several places that people are using codes in the rooms but I have not been able to get one to pop.

Yes, but the code isn't just what's pasted on the wall. For your big hint, it's what's pasted on the walls.

This game is awesome, 10 cubes and 2 anticubes...is it long ?

Also, I fear the game got a blind idiot translation in French, do I need some clues given in the game at a certain point ? When you go to the map, the "golden" places shown, does it mean I've found everything in them or not ? (because the game told me I still needed to seek things if it's golden)

neoism

Ok thanks. Not that platform and action bother me, far from that , but I wanted to know the nature of the challenges, and I was afraid that there would be only timed challenges in order to complicate things.

Good to know what I should expect. Now I need to have an idea of the complexity of the puzzles. =)

U mad ? :D

How about showing what kind of nightmare I could expect ? Because that's the very purpose of my question. I don't want to question your skills or your brains, but since I don't know you, a simple "lol" won't bring me an idea of the difficulty.

Well for me reading this thread most of the puzzle are HARD. I personal HATE having to write shit on a piece of paper... I had to watch a few vids on Braid too. After I realized I would have never found that out on my own. I usually am not a fan of puzzles like most in Fez I thought this game was more of a platformer. I didn't care if the puzzle are spoiled so I've been reading most of the spoilers in this thread.
You just really have to be observant in this game. Thankfully you can just have fun with it and play chill, which is easy because this games atmosphere is awesome. So I really can't tell you, I'm not that far in, I think I have like 17 cubes, but from what I've seen I would have never solved this game without youtube or this thread. If you like shit like that... get some paper and a pen and have fun.

So, my monocle room is gold, but I never got the cube from it, and nothing happens when I input the code for it. Has this happened to anyone else? Can I never get this cube now, or what?

Fabrik

Banned
10 cubes in. Gorgeous artstyle. But the game isn't exactly fun. I don't think I'll want to play more than 1 hour at a time. The music is nice but I would have preferred something more joyful. The atmosphere is a bit too heavy.

Daeda

Sorry I guess I am not following you. So because I already used those codes somewhere else I need to use a different code to get the cube for that room?

No, that room is an alternative solution to the QR-code puzzles for those that dont have a QR-reader. So solving the QR gets rid of the anti in the throne room.

Odrion

Banned
I thought Fez is refreshing because it breaks from that standard formula. To me, Fez is more of an exploration game than a puzzle game, and I think it's really successful at doing something new rather than retreading the same "puzzle game" structure based around a hot new mechanic.
Knytt did the whole "non-engaging exploration" thing before.

But no, not doing anything with a compelling concept isn't breaking the mold. It's more or less the result of the level designer not being able to figure out how to make compelling puzzles out of the perspective gimmick.
It's not a complicated puzzle game. Don't worry. At the very worst, it only gets rather ARG-y.

No, that room is an alternative solution to the QR-code puzzles for those that dont have a QR-reader. So solving the QR gets rid of the anti in the throne room.
Ahh okay, thanks for the explanation!

So if I have 31 anticubes, 1 of them being the glitched one from the observatory, I have two really left yes?
And the black monolith doesn't give one, it gives a red cube?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
10 cubes in. Gorgeous artstyle. But the game isn't exactly fun. I don't think I'll want to play more than 1 hour at a time. The music is nice but I would have preferred something more joyful. The atmosphere is a bit too heavy.
The heavy atmosphere is specifically one of the things I love most about it.

If you're not enjoying that aspect of the game, however, I could see why you wouldn't be getting a lot out of it.

Knytt did the whole "non-engaging exploration" thing before.
Yeah, while Fez definitely looks and sounds even more impressive, Knytt absolutely delivered this type of game before. They are very similar types of experiences though Kyntt is definitely a tighter package.

yeah, I just can't quite understand what I am looking at when i pull up the map. i get the gold/white borders...but how they all connect to another...no idea.

What is up with this?!

Are you rotating the map? Zooming in, etc? You know you can see what's ahead on the horizon IN the environments, should give you a hint at least in which way you're facing.

I found the map very intuitive and easy to use.

What is up with this?!

Are you rotating the map? Zooming in, etc? You know you can see what's ahead on the horizon IN the environments, should give you a hint at least in which way you're facing.

I found the map very intuitive and easy to use.

See none of this helps. YOUTUBE IT!!!!

Kauwn

Neo Member
Genuinely no idea how to get to the top of the lighthouse. Anyone give me a hint? I can't wait to feel like a total dumbass for not being able to figure it out.

Kauwn

Neo Member
I can't! Surely there's a Let's Play you can look at though, lol.

HONESTLY...

Go inside the little house and rotate

Oh crap I had even been in that area and it was marked gold so I presumed that I had everything. Should have noticed the map linked the two areas. Cheers!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This is how I feel about the game. It does not built upon itself, rather the learning process ends about 15 minutes into the game. After that no new concepts are introduced beyond a long series of opaque riddles that do not build from or get solved by learning about or applying game mechanics. That was a big part of Braid's genius, but Fez whiffs completely.

Mmm, excellent. If Braid didn't do that absolutely ridiculous secret star puzzle where if you complete one of the jigsaw hub world puzzles youre locked out of getting it, I'd use it as game design genius far more often. Setting up the enemy pawns as it were in later star puzzles to play out their roles to escape the normal confines of the level is truly admirable game design.

The 'hardest' parts of Fez are more in line with tacked on elements from old school riddle books and choose your adventure's. If Polytron had gone the extra step with the cryptography and included it in the game, which they easily could have eg: a room or series of them for an anticube reward where using blocks you actively match off the alphabet to the alien language, then afterwards the alien alphabet is translated in game for you. Once you've cracked the alphabet, its just boring busywork translating everything else. If that had been an in-game revelation that organically changes aspects of the world, it'd be far more worthy of applause.

As it is, like most of Fez's elements, its scatterbrained and disconnected.

louiedog

We need more theories for the Monolith! I wonder if we need a 3D TV to solve it.

The game took years to develop and the QR codes were probably put in before they were used on bus ads for Arizona tourism and night schools. Maybe we need to be thinking 4-5 years ago. Has anyone tried rotating the world to the tune of a Pussycat Dolls song?

We need more theories for the Monolith! I wonder if we need a 3D TV to solve it.

I can't believe its been 3 days and nobody has solved that puzzle.

The game took years to develop and the QR codes were probably put in before they were used on bus ads for Arizona tourism and night schools. Maybe we need to be thinking 4-5 years ago. Has anyone tried rotating the world to the tune of a Pussycat Dolls song?

LOL

I can't believe its been 3 days and nobody has solved that puzzle.

The security question was fucking owned by our theories, though. People were going in with the Metatron theories and questioning how can it possibly be wrong when in fact we were simply putting it in wrong.

Makes me feel like we touched on something with the Monolith but are overlooking something whilst spending too much time on something that probably has nothing to do with it, like the tome. Still, kudos to whoever translated it. Makes sense that it's a book of haikus.

Sectus

I can't remember the last time I both really liked and really disliked a game as much as this.

I like the art style. I like the 2D/3D mechanic. I like the atmosphere at times (mostly the starting areas). I like the platforming most of the time. I like the emphasis on exploration. I like some of the music. I like a lot of the level design.

I don't like the music when it sounds too much like static. I really really really don't like any of the "meta" puzzles. I don't like the atmosphere presented in any of the levels with a factory/urban design (music especially drove me nuts in those levels). I really don't like how the "overworld" is essentially a series of dead ends, it makes backtracking a chore. I don't like how short the game is. I don't like the
8-bit style
levels as I find it hard to see what is what (I got stuck for quite a while because I couldn't tell a wall was climbable). I don't like all the bugs in the game (I got stuck in a die/respawn loop twice, the game crashed on me once and I got a ton of performance issues).

Zomba13

Yeah, doesn't seem like the tome is relevant, it just has Haikus like the cheevo says.
I have a feeling that we might already know the answer just not the way to put it in, like the security room.

Up to about 20 cubes now. Not sure how much longer this will hold my attention for. I'm extremely uninterested in doing any letter substitution puzzles or any more of the meta stuff that just gives you a "code" to input. Also where at the start the open world exploratory nature was a strength it's becoming a real weakness further in, where traversal becomes a chore.

Sectus

What's all this talk about riddles, needing a paper and a pen and QR codes ? Am I missing something substantial ?

Have you been collecting many anti cubes so far? All of the normal cubes are attained by just playing the game normally, majority of anti cubes are attained in not so normal ways.

Up to about 20 cubes now. Not sure how much longer this will hold my attention for. I'm extremely uninterested in doing any letter substitution puzzles or any more of the meta stuff that just gives you a "code" to input. Also where at the start the open world exploratory nature was a strength it's becoming a real weakness further in, where traversal becomes a chore.

Once you open all the warps, everything's fairly easy to get to, just a few transitions away.

Ridley327

Mmm, excellent. If Braid didn't do that absolutely ridiculous secret star puzzle where if you complete one of the jigsaw hub world puzzles youre locked out of getting it, I'd use it as game design genius far more often. Setting up the enemy pawns as it were in later star puzzles to play out their roles to escape the normal confines of the level is truly admirable game design.

The 'hardest' parts of Fez are more in line with tacked on elements from old school riddle books and choose your adventure's. If Polytron had gone the extra step with the cryptography and included it in the game, which they easily could have eg: a room or series of them for an anticube reward where using blocks you actively match off the alphabet to the alien language, then afterwards the alien alphabet is translated in game for you. Once you've cracked the alphabet, its just boring busywork translating everything else. If that had been an in-game revelation that organically changes aspects of the world, it'd be far more worthy of applause.

As it is, like most of Fez's elements, its scatterbrained and disconnected.

There's a lot to like about Fez, but I've been surprised by how one-note a lot of its elements turn out to be. Translating the tetrinos was one of the coolest things that I've seen in a game, but once you've done it, you've done the entire extent of it, and all of the puzzles revolving around them offer no new wrinkles, outside of the one that summons the monolith. It's the same story with the tuning forks and the QR codes; great ideas that never go past the initial setup.

The clock "puzzle," should it even qualify as such, is so lazy.

Ridley327

I thought it said warps are one way?

The warps in the main hubs connect with each other, and you can use them to your heart's content. More importantly, there's undocumented warps that you can come across that can be very beneficial to you, but they won't be marked on the map and they do require you to find both doors before being able to use them. Keep an eye out for a double cube symbol; if it lights up when you are by it, that means the warp is good to go.

Top Bottom