• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Zomba13

No, but that video reminded me that I had some red/blue glasses from something in my desk drawer. Now I have a headache. Red/blue 3D sucks.

Please, though, do post that gif when you've made it.

Yup. I'm fine with proper stero 3D (either without glasses like the 3DS or with them like the Nvidia 3D vision) but I haaates red/blue. Gives me a head ache.

GhaleonEB

Mmm, excellent. If Braid didn't do that absolutely ridiculous secret star puzzle where if you complete one of the jigsaw hub world puzzles youre locked out of getting it, I'd use it as game design genius far more often. Setting up the enemy pawns as it were in later star puzzles to play out their roles to escape the normal confines of the level is truly admirable game design.

The 'hardest' parts of Fez are more in line with tacked on elements from old school riddle books and choose your adventure's. If Polytron had gone the extra step with the cryptography and included it in the game, which they easily could have eg: a room or series of them for an anticube reward where using blocks you actively match off the alphabet to the alien language, then afterwards the alien alphabet is translated in game for you. Once you've cracked the alphabet, its just boring busywork translating everything else. If that had been an in-game revelation that organically changes aspects of the world, it'd be far more worthy of applause.

As it is, like most of Fez's elements, its scatterbrained and disconnected.

I never did gather the stars in Braid, but I had thought of the comparison. They seemed like that kind of second layer well implemented, both in proportion and in how they built from the game mechanics. Fez's feel more tacked on.

In the end what really surprises me about Fez is how little the core perspective altering mechanic is iterated upon. Braid took one concept - time manipulation - and added many different executions of the concept as the game progressed; we were continually learning both new mechanics and new implementations of them from beginning to end.

With Fez the core mechanic reveals pretty much all it has to offer very early on. I was exploring in hopes of finding novel, unique or at least interesting ways that perspective manipulation would alter the world and our navigation of it, but with just a handful of exceptions, it just doesn't happen. Rather, the added 'depth' comes from literally decoding puzzles and entering codes to solve them. Had I understood that on the onset, I would not have purchased the game. It does wonderful things with the aesthetics and world design, but fails to really capitalize on its premise.

louiedog

ingloriousthomas on Giant Bomb just posted the following:

I finally figured out how to beat the monolith room and i did. You know how there are symbols on certain grounds where there are squares inside squares, and that on the monolith room floor there is the two-square/infinity symbol, one with zero in the middle, one with #1? Well, if you translate the tome correctly, it gives you haikus that tease and hint at where you can find the single square, the square within one square, square within two squares....up til 8 square symbol. If you stand on these symbols directly in the middle square of each and press RT four times in them, and all of them in order from 1-8, you hear a sound. then all you have to do is stand on the ONE symbol in the monolith room and do the same RT four times. Monolith will turn into red cube. Here are the locations of the square symbols on the ground. Must be in New Game+ and in first person mode to see. 1. Starting Village top. 2. At the top of the arch like island off of the first warp area. This island was used for one of the treasure maps. 3. On top of bell tower. 4. I forgot... 5. Prehistoric village. 6. Crying waterfall island. 7. "future" village (four cube door). 8. industrial zu nu zone. (8 cube door)

No idea if it works. It's probably not real. But if someone wants to try go for it.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
ingloriousthomas on Giant Bomb just posted the following:

No idea if it works. It's probably not real. But if someone wants to try go for it.

It won't. 4 Square/Circle is the only one people are missing and its the one he conveniently "forgets". Also its know the code is an 8-input from someone thats genuinely got the completion rate. Typical internet bullshit.

Misguided

Banned
Ran into my first game-breaking bug today. Did the
tuning fork puzzle
and right as I finished it, I was climbing on top of the block that was going to change into the anti-cube and apparently doing this broke my game. I got black-screened and was sent back to the dashboard. Cool level though!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ok need some help. I'm at 63 cubes, one anti-cube short. This
owl
room is the only non-golden room left apart from
monolith and the 64 cube door
but I can't figure it out.

http://minus.com/jrnv9jjYeqqPj.jpg

Edit haha, got it. Love this game.

Also to those who have issues reading the map and picking the right doors to places. The area a door leads to will be visible in the background when you see the door.

Zezboob

Well for me reading this thread most of the puzzle are HARD. I personal HATE having to write shit on a piece of paper... I had to watch a few vids on Braid too. After I realized I would have never found that out on my own. I usually am not a fan of puzzles like most in Fez I thought this game was more of a platformer. I didn't care if the puzzle are spoiled so I've been reading most of the spoilers in this thread.
You just really have to be observant in this game. Thankfully you can just have fun with it and play chill, which is easy because this games atmosphere is awesome. So I really can't tell you, I'm not that far in, I think I have like 17 cubes, but from what I've seen I would have never solved this game without youtube or this thread. If you like shit like that... get some paper and a pen and have fun.
Ok, thank you, it's really tempting.

I will probably give in to the temptation as soon as I get some free time =)

Ridley327

Ok need some help. I'm at 63 cubes, one anti-cube short. This
owl
room is the only non-golden room left apart from
monolith and the 64 cube door
but I can't figure it out.

http://minus.com/jrnv9jjYeqqPj.jpg

Edit haha, got it. Love this game.

Also to those who have issues reading the map and picking the right doors to places. The area a door leads to will be visible in the background when you see the door.

The issues that I have with the map aren't based so much in being able to read it as it is a pain to navigate it; it's really easy to get it over to the area you don't want it to be at (especially in the lower levels, where everything is layered on top of each other).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The issues that I have with the map aren't based so much in being able to read it as it is a pain to navigate it; it's really easy to get it over to the area you don't want it to be at (especially in the lower levels, where everything is layered on top of each other).
Zooming in/out and using the right stick for better angles while navigating became second nature for me personally on the map but I know what you mean.

Finished at
%, I suppose now I just need to figure out the endgame spoilers:
monolith
room and grab the last
heart cube
for the room beyond the 64 cube door. I bet it has something to do with the
3D glasses

Feep

Banned
I confirmed that there are actually
34 anti-cubes
found so far.
Why wasn't I invited to this secret league of game developers?

It's like when I moved to Hollywood and wasn't invited to the secret group of Jews controlling the town. This sucks.

Right I got this today and haven't read much about it but it's making me realise how thick I am.

I glanced at a walk through that showed me how to get a couple of anti cubes in the first village but I would have never have worked it out.

Am i really that dumb or does it become more obvious the more you play? Ie you work stuff out then revisit bits when it becomes clear?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Right I got this today and haven't read much about it but it's making me realise how thick I am.

I glanced at a walk through that showed me how to get a couple of anti cubes in the first village but I would have never have worked it out.

Am i really that dumb or does it become more obvious the more you play? Ie you work stuff out then revisit bits when it becomes clear?

I'd say yes to this, but the hump to get there is astronomically high for some compared to regular puzzle games. You've been warned. :)

megalowho

I would definitely not try to look up a solution for every room you come across that isn't immediately apparent, just explore and move on somewhere else. You can easily beat the game once by doing that, and you'll start to pick up on clues that apply to the more esoteric puzzles as you learn more about the world. And by learn I mean actual learning that you'll spend time with outside of the game itself. It's not exactly "clear" but it's all in there. I'd at least save any walkthrough stuff until NG+, personally.

Enjoying the game.
At first I was lost with the whole treasure map thing then when I got to this room and it made sense

Haven't opened the 4 cube room just exploring every nook

It's too bad you can't choose to watch either ending once you get all the Cubes
and Anti-Cubes
(without getting too many, I mean), I actually like the Bad Ending better.

But there is something that stuck out to me about the Good Ending.
That bit where you replay the start of the level. You don't have a lot of time, but I hurried down to the bottom level door, and it started to make a noise and show something square-shaped. I suspect it may have been the Hexahedron trying to show what was the next room like normal, but it sounded different to me at the time. I tried to go through the door, but I don't know if I put in the input too late. I guess I should give it another try.

Edit: Okay, that's weird,
it didn't do anything that time. No noise, no square appearing, nothing. So maybe there's hidden spots in the ending? Or maybe it's just a rare glitch that it happened at first.

Grisby

Started the game. Wonderful everything feelings going all around me.

Hour later it hard-lock's my 360. :(

I think I'm just going to wait on a patch or something.

Look at this. What a tease

From https://twitter.com/#!/treyher

You might as well post the clearer shot:

(Edit: Some might consider this a spoiler, so here's a link instead.)

He's been saying some things, that the programmer that gave him the code said there's no clue for the code in the game. He's tried to reverse-engineer it himself, but can't find a connection to anything so far.

The soundtrack's release was delayed until the 20th for "some reason," right?

We've had puzzles based on blinking lights and vibrating controller motors, an audio puzzle built in to the soundtrack to reveal the final piece doesn't seem out of the question, probably in a track there's no preview for. Oh, look, one called "Love."

Some might consider this a spoiler[/url]
Good point, I changed it.

The soundtrack's release was delayed until the 20th for "some reason," right?

We've had puzzles based on blinking lights and vibrating controller motors, an audio puzzle built in to the soundtrack to reveal the final piece doesn't seem out of the question, probably in a track there's no preview for. Oh, look, one called "Love."

You might have something there! It's also the last track. If someone has spotify they can check it out. Maybe look at the waveform.

I'm having trouble reading the text at times. Could anyone tell me what something said since I missed it?

What did the owl by the windmill say?

Peeking at the version already out there... (how did it get out there anyway, before the game came out? Hm... Edit: Spotify apparently.), I noticed a spike of noise when I listened to it in Audacity. This is probably completely grasping at straws, but here's the header, which looked a little weird to me (but it's probably normal, still there's a section of symbols that just sticks out to me.)

Similarly, I looked at another track, Pressure, and noted a similar section. In all likelihood, it could easily be Adobe just being peculiar with how it saved the headers of the embedded album art jpegs. But to play complete tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist, there's the off chance they leaked out the soundtrack early (at a lower quality) on purpose, this specific copy hex-edited to add clues to the headers. But not holding my breath, it's probably just a fluke.

Good lord this game is buggy as shit. Crashes, frame-stutters, music popping, ugh. Playing on 20GB 360 BTW.

Every once in a while the game shines, but man if it doesn't find ways to make me want to stop playing it.

Game probably could have used another 5 years in the cooker to get the bugs out. :p

Persona7

Banned
I downloaded the trial today. I played for about 15 minutes and didn't see what all the fuss is about. Seems like another run of the mill platformer.

It locked up when I quit the game and apparently deleted itself after I restarted.

So, my monocle room is gold, but I never got the cube from it, and nothing happens when I input the code for it. Has this happened to anyone else? Can I never get this cube now, or what?

I figured it out. I think I got this cube from a QR code. Anyways, I've done everything except the monolith now.
Playing in 3D is cool as shit.

pakkit

Banned
I just started playing this morning. This game is incredible. There are so many neat flourishes and details in the game. FEZ does what I had hoped Super Paper Mario was going to do.

Done!
Except for the monolith obviously. I spent ages looking at the security puzzle but just couldn't figure it out. I've only got 159.4% on the leaderboard though. Some people have over 200%. Did I miss something?

acm2000

I downloaded the trial today. I played for about 15 minutes and didn't see what all the fuss is about. Seems like another run of the mill platformer.

1334622876097.gif

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Done!
Except for the monolith obviously. I spent ages looking at the security puzzle but just couldn't figure it out. I've only got 159.4% on the leaderboard though. Some people have over 200%. Did I miss something?
Did you:

Get all cubes?
Get the artefacts?
Get the
2/3 heart cubes
?

New Game++?

Zomba13

Yeah I've got all of those. I started new game ++. But what's there left for me to do there? Just
go through the start gate again?

That is odd. Did you get a bunch of stuff while not connected to live? I got my last 2 anti cubes while offline and my % didn't update until I finished the security question (which I did while online).

Top Bottom