• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

BigAT

I have yet to enter this thread or look for any spoilers/help up until this point because I wanted the puzzle solving to be as rewarding as possible (and with about 25 Anti-cubes collected, it certainly has been) but even being on NG+ and having all four artifact cubes, I absolutely stuck on decoding the alphabet. Does anyone have any hints on where I should start trying to get this untangled? I have been staring at the writing cube for a while and have been unable to figure anything out from it.

Zomba13

I have yet to enter this thread or look for any spoilers/help up until this point because I wanted the puzzle solving to be as rewarding as possible (and with about 25 Anti-cubes collected, it certainly has been) but even being on NG+ and having all four artifact cubes, I absolutely stuck on decoding the alphabet. Does anyone have any hints on where I should start trying to get this untangled? I have been staring at the writing cube for a while and have been unable to figure anything out from it.

The writing cube is just a tool to write the language, like a pen is for ours. It's pretty much just a stamp that can make every letter in their alphabet.

If you want to get to work deciphering it without being told look for the fox and the dog.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Read a few pages of this thread after playing for about an hour, just got the game. I feel kinda guilty that I'm not enjoying it more tbh, especially seeing how much people here are digging it. I consider myself a fairly pretentious gamer, I like Sword and Sworcery and all that arcane hipster indie shit, but this isn't tugging my dick so far at all. It seems too big, I feel lost to the point of feeling a vague frustration with it, and I'm wondering if I've fallen so far into the rabbit hole that I'll never find a way out. The game keeps telling me to go back to the cube doors, but that was ages ago, I can't remember the route back at all.

Tell me GAF, am I fucked? Should I just go back to my masocore platformers and forget all about this? What is the incentive to keep playing?

According to the leaderboards I am currently at 75%. This game still makes absolutely no sense to me. I currently have 19 cubes, 5 anti-cubes, and a Red Artifact that seems like it could help me with the symbols in this game. I guess I'm just missing an important step to decider the arcane symbols in this game.

SO far I've just been backtracking to every place that isn't gold on my map. Is this what I should be doing at this point or is it more important for me to figure out the language right now?

Mister Snig

Neo Member
According to the leaderboards I am currently at 75%. This game still makes absolutely no sense to me. I currently have 19 cubes, 5 anti-cubes, and a Red Artifact that seems like it could help me with the symbols in this game. I guess I'm just missing an important step to decider the arcane symbols in this game.

SO far I've just been backtracking to every place that isn't gold on my map. Is this what I should be doing at this point or is it more important for me to figure out the language right now?

Don't worry about anti-cubes or deciphering anything at this point. Just focus on getting the yellow cubes.

But after that, just pay attention. While I gather that the alphabet isn't anything too important, I would try figuring that out first (when you've started NG+). It'll help you get into the mindset Fez wants you to be in, if that makes any sense.

Don't worry about anti-cubes or deciphering anything at this point. Just focus on getting the yellow cubes.

But after that, just pay attention. While I gather that the alphabet isn't anything too important, I would try figuring that out first (when you've started NG+). It'll help you get into the mindset Fez wants you to be in, if that makes any sense.

I played a little today and figured out the alphabet after someone hinted at the
fox area
, pretty straight forward after I saw it. Now I'm staring at this classroom and trying to get all 32 cubes as of now. Don't know if anything in the classroom is supposed to make sense right now.
Im thinking these are numbers, but im unsure.

Archurro

Read a few pages of this thread after playing for about an hour, just got the game. I feel kinda guilty that I'm not enjoying it more tbh, especially seeing how much people here are digging it. I consider myself a fairly pretentious gamer, I like Sword and Sworcery and all that arcane hipster indie shit, but this isn't tugging my dick so far at all. It seems too big, I feel lost to the point of feeling a vague frustration with it, and I'm wondering if I've fallen so far into the rabbit hole that I'll never find a way out. The game keeps telling me to go back to the cube doors, but that was ages ago, I can't remember the route back at all.

Tell me GAF, am I fucked? Should I just go back to my masocore platformers and forget all about this? What is the incentive to keep playing?

Don't rush yourself. Fez follows a much different design philosophy than all the other indie platformers, and requires much more exploration. Try to take in the scenery and music and you explore the universe.

Mister Snig

Neo Member
I played a little today and figured out the alphabet after someone hinted at the
fox area
, pretty straight forward after I saw it. Now I'm staring at this classroom and trying to get all 32 cubes as of now. Don't know if anything in the classroom is supposed to make sense right now.
Im thinking these are numbers, but im unsure.

You're on the right track. Again, you don't have to worry about that stuff now; collecting 32 cubes doesn't require any puzzle solving. But if you still want to dive into it (and I don't blame you), here's a hint:
Think "dimensions."

McLovin

Just beat Fez, went into it just thinking it was a platformer. What a great surprise! That ending had me tripping balls. Also lol @ game+ shades.

this guy

I bought this game a couple hours ago after trying out the demo yesterday. I love it so far! I knew it would be right up my alley. The music, the sound quality, the art style, all great! The environments are fun and varied too. The dialogue is campy, but fun.

I've had an inner struggle regarding two of my gaming quirks though so far. I can't decide whether I would rather explore each area I'm in fully as I reach it. Or keep pushing forward door by door and explore each area as they come. I'm not sure which will lead to the bigger headache later either.

My only knock against it so far is the unstable frame rate, especially when entering new areas of a world. I don't understand how frame rate could be an issue for such a simple game.

Otacon

So, I'm stuck
like truly stuck
for days...
I thought that somehow I would be smart enough to find the remaining 6 anti-cubes but right now this game is simply destroying me.
Maybe someone who has already collected all cubes could give me some hints (not the solution, if possible) for the puzzles that are currently melting my brain:

- Candle room: Using the "direction-code" on the backside of the partially burnt treasure map does not work. I tried reversing and/or flipping the code - no success. What do the two arrows on the map mean?

- Clock tower: Still have the blue and green watch hand left. I think I just have to be at the clock at the right time so that the 2(?) anti-cubes - one for blue and one for green? - appear. But so far whenever I go the the clock the time/position of the hands is different. What am I missing?

- 10 Cube forms: There is a room with a pillar showing 10 different forms made out of 6 cubes each. How do I know which one of these is the correct one?

- Telescope: I found the 2 shapes - jump and up (if you read it like the other "direction-codes" so far). Found the 2 blinking lights. Also deciphered the message outside of the telescope room but that didn't really tell me anything I hadn't already guessed.
Do I have to perform this "Morse-code" of *jump* and *up* in the rhythm of the 2 blinking lights? I even recorded the lights and tried to write the blinking sequence down. But that whould be...40 or so button presses before the sequence repeats?!
If that is how this puzzle is solved, I did not manage to succed in correctly morsing that code.

- Security question: I never heard of the fox and the dog phrase - but then, I'm not a native English speaker - so I sadly had to google this since I accidentally read something spoilerish about the alphabet in this game and that it is connected to a fox.
I managed to translate the question but now I am stuck with the question itself.
"My first half is what it is. My second half is half of what made it."
WTF? No clue at all.
And even if some miracle would cause my brain to solve this, I guess moving the letters in place would be my next problem. Dx
Does the name start on the side I enter this room?
Is it read from right to left?
Does it span all 4 sides of the cube?
Where do I move the unused letters?

This puzzle is really the hardest in the game for me as it works on 3 levels - getting the fox phrase and translating the question; answering the question; moving the letters in place.
I feel like Phil Fish himself is punching me in the face for being too stupid for each of these 3 tasks.
"Don't know the fox phrase, you idiot?" *punch*
"Can't answer the security question?!" *punch*
"Now, come on - just move those blocks in pla- WHAT THE HELL, can't you get anything right?!" *punch*
TKO, the winner is Fez/Phil Fish
Sorry, but that's exactly how I feel rght now...Dx

In all seriousness, this game is a true masterpiece. A technical mess, but a masterpiece.
So many amazing moments, puzzles, ideas, little touches and of course the OST.
Easily the best game since Dark Souls and one of the best this gen. (not to forget that it keeps me from playing Trials Evolution!?!)
If Phil Fish came up with all puzzles by himself...*bow*
Lifetime achievement.
But yeah, please fix the stutter/memory leak. Although...I am now almost finished and the fact that I continued playing and enjoying this game that much despite these serious issues, shows just how great the rest is put together.

P.S.:
Though I never care for achievements at all, I took a look at Fez' yesterday as I was surprised how many I already got. There is a RT LT code in one of the achievements that I haven't got so far. Is there a way to find out where to enter this code?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not super impressed with the puzzles. They don't quite hit the same pleasure center in my brain like the (borderline perfect) puzzles in Braid. In many cases, the major puzzles ends up being one of three or four kinds of "find special room with puzzle cypher --> decode --> apply to a handful of rooms to get reward".

I appreciate some of the more ARG-like elements, and I really like the concept of the big world to explore, but I'm not finding the puzzles to be anything close to something I'd consider ingenious or truly memorable. They feel closer to cutscenes in a sense. Not as far as interactivity goes, I mean in relation to how closly linked they are to the moment to moment act of playing the game. A great puzzle that results from some learnt-behavior in the game being applied in a new way will always be infinitely more rewarding.

But yeah, I appreciate the effort that went into this.

Chev

puzzle stuff
Room with candles: you haven't examined the room closely enough

clock tower is really just time dependant so maybe you're looking at it wrong, I don't know

10 cubes: how many ways are there to unwrap a cube?

Telescope: the blinking lights aren't part of the anti-cube puzzle, they're meant to be part of one of the hardest puzzles in the game (which you can solve through dumb luck though). They're not morse either, but there's certainly something in there. The anti-cube puzzle, well, if you found two shapes you should look around some more.

Security question: welcome to another hardest puzzle in the game. Again, you can leave it as is for now if it's anti-cubes you're searching for. There are no unused letters. Worth noting you can perfectly well figure out the alphabet without the fox thing, for example for me it was the "good food" near the street restaurant that opened up the way to understanding. It's a tricky puzzle but you don't need the alphabet for any anti-cube

Achievement: What do you mean, "where"? :p

Otacon

thanks a lot, Chev
although I'm not sure if I'm now any closer to solving the puzzles than before xD
will have to check in the game when I am back home
- so the blue and green hands of the clock are now stuck in this position they are or do they change every day?
checked 2 days ago, the green one was at 10
went there yesterday at 10 and it had changed to 7
is that "normal"?

- the blinking lights are not connected to the anti-cube there but to one of the hardest puzzles?
so, there are items besides cubes and anti-cubes that you can unlock by solving puzzles?

- the security question also does not gain me an anti-cube?
what then?
I have 31 7/8 cubes and 26 anti-cubes. And all the mentioned puzzles are everything that's "left" according to the map which should then add up to 32 antis.
(Still have to find 2 owls and the 64 cube door also shows up as a secret or is there also a puzzle?)

- so, the achievement code is not a matter of where but of...when? Am I not think FOURDIMENSIONAL, Doc? ;)

damn it, now I really want to go home and try some more
somehow this game has taken over my life
in my sleep I dream of it and during the day I try to solve the remaining puzzles DX

Daigoro

Chev

Otacon>

I had assumed, as most people, the two slowest hands of the clock followed a pattern measured in days, thou I did wonder if I was somehow overestimating it because the hour I found the 24 hours cube at wasn't exactly the one I'd expected. That being said, both of those hands have generous error margins (an hour or so) so I think the 24 and 48 hours cycle are good enough an approximation to find the cube. Check around the previous estimated quarter positions of the clock if you wanna make sure.

If you're still missing so many cubes then your map should still indicate some non-golden rooms (especially since you're missing owls). If not, then you missed some rooms, and so the map should still indicate at least one non-golden room since it'd be the one where you missed a door.

For the achievement code you're overthinking it.

Yes, there are puzzles unrelated to the cubes and anti-cubes so certainly there must be *something* they unlock, shouldn't it? :p

Otacon

Chev,
There is only one non-golden room without a "secret" and that's the one behind the big owl.
I have 6 "secret" rooms left: candle, telescope, 10 cubes, security question, clock tower, 64 cubes door
The 2 missing owls can be in an area that is golden, right? Must be, actually, since I think that I have fully explored the map.
(I know there's the room which shows all 4 owls' location, so finding them shouldn't be a big problem, but after so many hours navigation the whole world just isn't that fun anymore. Warping should have been possible in NG+)

I cannot enter the achievement code on the achievement screen in the dashboard...that would be too crazy.
Will try anyway. ;p

More puzzles than the 64 cubes?!
ok, won't play Trials anytime soon, it seems...
have all puzzles the game has to offer been solved already?
again, thanks a lot for all the help
hope I will be able to use it

just out of curiosity, you were able to get all 64 by yourself without any help?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Looks like Fez took its toll to make and Polytron is losing half its workforce (they were only with 2 to be clear).

http://www.edge-online.com/news/fez-programmer-wont-work-polytron-again

Renaud Bédard, programmer:
"I will probably not be working at Polytron after Fez," he tells us. "We've been a really close-knit team for five years, and that's not necessarily healthy.

haha, wow, combined with the original music producer dropping out too, really paints a fairly obvious picture of the man, moreso than 'that movie'. It really makes me curious to see the points at which the game was 2 years in, 3 years in, and 4 years in. How many times was it needlessly scrapped and remade for little to no reason than Fish's mania. Fez is a nice game but its in no way big enough or complex enough to have taken 5 years. He must have annoyed several publishers along the way too.

Chev

Chev,
I have 6 "secret" rooms left: candle, telescope, 10 cubes, security question, clock tower, 64 cubes door
The 2 missing owls can be in an area that is golden, right? Must be, actually, since I think that I have fully explored the map.

As far as I remember owls appeared as secrets, I may be mistaken though. As for anti-cubes, actually with that list I can see you must not be missing any room, since you're missing both owls and achievement it all adds up to six cubes.

As far as solving goes I looked up two things that I do regret looking up, the numbers between 5 and 9 and the fact I had to search for owls. I feel I could have correctly guessed both. Outside of cubes I also looked up the solution to the security question after correctly deciphering the question because I felt (and still feel) I couldn't have solved the riddle by myself (as I don't think the right way to be able to solve it), and the translation of the tome for the same kind of reason (and at that point I already had all the cubes).

I also solved the achievement puzzle without knowing about it, to be fair. You'll get why when you, well, get it

Pie> sometimes you need to annoy people to make what you want to make.

Fez isn't really connecting with me the way it seemed to with so many others, I'm still kind of struggling to make myself finish the first major portion of the game. I enjoyed what I played up until about 16 cubes in, but at that point everything started to drag a bit, mostly due to the cumbersome travel system and somewhat vague world map. I don't know, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it the last time I booted it up but Trials Evo and Xenoblade both seem much more appealing at the moment.

Montresor

I'm about to start the game. Did I ruin the game for myself, through lightly skimming the thread, when I found out there is
an alphabet you can decode
? =p Fudge.

I hope this game is in the same vein as Limbo and Braid. Great puzzle platformers with a weird story that slowly unfolds as you play and probably doesn't even make sense on the first playthrough. I loved both Braid and Limbo.

Fez is a great game on its own merits, but I wouldn't compare it to Limbo or Braid. It's too different, it shares almost nothing with either, other than being 2D-ish and having jumping platformy bits.

I'm about to start the game. Did I ruin the game for myself, through lightly skimming the thread, when I found out there is
an alphabet you can decode
? =p Fudge.

I hope this game is in the same vein as Limbo and Braid. Great puzzle platformers with a weird story that slowly unfolds as you play and probably doesn't even make sense on the first playthrough. I loved both Braid and Limbo.

Having recently deciphered the language in FEZ I would say no. I wouldn't look up the cipher for it though, go through the game and try and figure it out first.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Maaaaaan - I gotta say I'm kinda disappointed with the way the numbers were done, seeing as I did 63 cubes by myself and found
every single other artifact out there and one red cube piece
all by myself with no help, only to get stuck and finding out I was right along -
with there being TWO different ways to write certain numbers? And those other ways only being found in the boiler room? WTF? Thanks to figuring out the 16-door room, the bell, plus that one writing on the wall, I had numbers 0-4, 6 and 10 known for 100% certain, so when I start writing out the eight pieces for the boiler room code, I wrote out the other possibilities for the three unknown numbers of 5, 7 and 8 along with my certain numbers and none of them worked.

So I thought that maybe it was glitched or something since I did everything mathematically possible to get this code with the certainties that I had - till my friend who was also at the same amount of cubes as me tried and got the code, and I was thinking how in the hell did he get it? I was already at the point at not caring about avoiding the solution anymore, so he told me the code he used, which rearranged the 3 and the 5, of which 3 was a certain due to what I explained above. I was pissed so I checked the number codes, and it turned out that Mr. Fish thought it would be brilliant to have 5 of the 10 numbers be possible to be written two ways - which are to be found nowhere else in the game. On the one hand it felt good to know I was still right, but still pissed to see that I had to resort to looking it up when I didn't want to although I knew I did everything possible to find it.

Kinda put a damper on the fantastic experience throughout for me, but oh well. I know where my last cube is, but unfortunately I
gotta wait till Sunday morning sometime to get it, and I already missed it once by guessing it would be Sunday afternoon, damnit.

Ethranes

I heard about the game from the Bombcast so I picked it up, I'm extremely interested in all of it's secrets but I just cannot work any of them out for myself, I played through the game without looking anything up and manged to get the first ending, but that's pretty much just the platforming aspect of the game.

I'm wondering if there are videos of how people worked all of this out, because I'm facinated by it all but I just have no idea how people came to these conclusions, I read hints about that
fox on the mushroom level
but it completely eludes me how that has any relevance, and I suppose that's just the beginning of the decryption of the game.

I'm wondering if there are videos of how people worked all of this out, because I'm facinated by it all but I just have no idea how people came to these conclusions, I read hints about that
fox on the mushroom level
but it completely eludes me how that has any relevance, and I suppose that's just the beginning of the decryption of the game.
I'm going to give you a clue that basically spoils it. It is possible that the solution is a cultural touchstone you aren't aware of. If that's the case, you will never get it. I encourage you to look long and hard at what is going on in that room before you follow this link.

Mobius 1

I just popped in here to brag that I decoded the alphabet on my own and I was pretty happy about it. After an hour I could almost read the glyphs without consulting my notebook.

No luck on the numbers yet, though I got distracted by the ending.

Sorry for asking, I'm sure this thread covers it...But I'm afraid to read spoilers (I've already blown a few things grazing the previous pages):

Just started New Game +. Should I be looking for anything in particular? Or just go about the stages I haven't finished yet and all shall be revealed?

I got the 64 cubes without really spoiling myself, but I've got to ask about the...other stuff... I've now read about on the internet.

Does the game actually tell you how to
make Gomez fly or did someone just randomly figure it out
?

Should we know how to answer the
Security Question? I don't see how one should know how to input the answer like that.
DId people brute force this stuff or are there clues in the game I'm missing?

Sorry for asking, I'm sure this thread covers it...But I'm afraid to read spoilers (I've already blown a few things grazing the previous pages):

Just started New Game +. Should I be looking for anything in particular? Or just go about the stages I haven't finished yet and all shall be revealed?

Basically. You have some new abilities but it's basically up to you to shore up your cube count however you like. Second endgame is when you max out your cube-finding...(vaguely speaking)

Chev

Should we know how to answer the
Security Question? I don't see how one should know how to input the answer like that.
DId people brute force this stuff or are there clues in the game I'm missing?
Note most explanations I've seen do it the hard way - assembling it right-to-left and rotating the view 180°, when all you really need is to assemble it left-to-right (because that's what's really on the other side of the cubes), ie rotate it like you've been taught with the tetramino puzzles. Beyond that, really, if you want to write an answer you can't do it vertically so that really only leaves two ways, and the spacing is hinted at by the state of the cubes when you enter the room.

Having recently deciphered the language in FEZ I would say no. I wouldn't look up the cipher for it though, go through the game and try and figure it out first.

I realised this game wasn't for me (i'm too dumb or impatient) when I got to about 25 cubes without a clue how to decipher the language. Ended up spoiling it for myself to get to 32 cubes, played 30mins of NG+ and promptly switched off to play Trials.

My hats off to those of you who have solved this game, but man, I just don't see the appeal. Maybe i missed this particular room that's supposed to help. Or there's a better way to travel or something, as i just can't be bother traipsing through all the levels again. Hey ho.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
ljj2p.jpg

Saw this at a local yogurt shop today.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
From what you are saying, you haven't figured out how the numbers work yet.

The numbers that I had were correct, with three things backing them up. I wasn't wrong.

If you saw the solution of the number system and read my post, you'd understand where I'm coming from clearly.

Gave this another try tonight. Spent ages trying to find my way through just a few screens. Came across a puzzle that was not fun to work out in my head, had horrible difficulty moving some blocks around and then it awarded me the anticube at the wrong time.

Switched it off after that.

Dany

Banned
Which song from the soundtrack do you guys think would make a good ringtone. I'm thinking Sync. Or how about an alarm clock?

Top Bottom