• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

bananas

Banned
I still can't figure out the numbers even though I have all the clues. I figured out 0-3 with the visual clues, but I still don't understand how you arrive at 4 from that system.
I find it interesting that the three symbol is one and two combined.

I got through like 90% of ng+ not knowing about the other-other extra thing.

So wait, you can fly? I'm sort of bummed somebody told me about it, but are there even any hints about this in the game? I can't think of any imagery I've seen that hints at flight.

Even if it isn't "necessary" I'm pissed that it's the one thing I didn't figure out myself lol.

So wait, you can fly? I'm sort of bummed somebody told me about it, but are there even any hints about this in the game? I can't think of any imagery I've seen that hints at flight.

Even if it isn't "necessary" I'm pissed that it's the one thing I didn't figure out myself lol.

There's no hints that I remember seeing.

Danielsan

Spend pretty much the entire day getting further in Fez. I now have 32 normal cubes and 18 anti-cubes. Felt really good to figure out the tetriminos myself. I'd also like to tell Phill to go fuck himself for making the alphabet pretty much impossible to decipher unless you are familiar with a certain phrase.

Spend pretty much the entire day getting further in Fez. I now have 32 normal cubes and 18 anti-cubes. Felt really good to figure out the tetriminos myself. I'd also like to tell Phill to go fuck himself for making the alphabet pretty much impossible to decipher unless you are familiar with a certain phrase.

That's the only sentence with all the letters in the alphabet..

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I did wonder actually that essentially completing the second half of this game locks out any and all native english speakers, unless other versions have something different for other languages in the way of their rosetta stone?

And it's very clever. It's may be well known in English-speaking countries, but I suspect I'm not the only one from mainland Europe who has never come into contact with that phrase.

I think it works the same way how many Japanese games I've played work, especially old ones. Some things don't translate well into other languages (read: english) and sometimes there are cultural references and contexts that only make sense to a certain culture.

I'm not going to lie, I went past the dog and the fox my first time in that area without putting two and two together, so I can imagine how hard it would be for others.

Cranzor

That's the only sentence with all the letters in the alphabet..

You must mean it's the only well known sentence with all of the letters of the alphabet, right?

But yeah, that part bothered me too. I don't think cultural references should be included to figure out puzzles as they don't apply to everyone.

Coldsnap

Stuck in the room that has the block with lights that show tetris blocks. Seems like when I move the shape changes. Not sure what todo here. Any hints im sonlost

Coldsnap

I'm done with this game. It's everything I don't want to do when I decide to sit down and play a game. I really thought I was getting a retro 2D game like megaman meets crush.

Oni Jazar

I'm done with this game. It's everything I don't want to do when I decide to sit down and play a game. I really thought I was getting a retro 2D game like megaman meets crush.

That's how the first 32 cubes are.

I think I hit a bug where no one but the cube talks anymore. Are the characters all silent in the last village? Even in NG+ the start village no one is talking to me.

Zia

Today I showed a fellow designer and cinephile
the game's ending (which I think is the greatest ever cinematic in a game; very surprised it hasn't been discussed that much), the quasi-synaesthetic platforming part with the track "Sync" and the glitched section.
He purchased the game, OST and a t-shirt this evening.

Dany

Banned
Sounds like a bug, people should still be talking.

Oh really?

So I beat the game, I thought it was just amazing, I started NG+ and realized my journey isn't over yet :lol Serisouly one of hte best moments in video games is the end sequence, simply amazing and the start of NG+ is batshit crazy. Literally batshit.

So I started NG+ but I have no direction really on where to go,
I need 64 cubes don't I?

the game's ending (which I think is the greatest ever cinematic in a game; very surprised it hasn't been discussed that much), the quasi-synaesthetic platforming part with the track "Sync" and the glitched section.

Haha, nice. I told a friend about the game and he immediately purchased it as well :lol

Part of the problem with the ending is
you can't rewatch the Bad Ending once you get the Good one without starting over, and the Good Ending is completely different.

Unless you're glitched with 33 Anticubes, then you're just stuck with the Bad Ending until you start over.

So I started NG+ but I have no direction really on where to go,
I need 64 cubes don't I?

Check your map. If a place has a marker with a question mark, there's a secret in that room. If there's a locked door, use a key or find one. Basically, if the room isn't Gold-tinted on your map, there's something to do there.

Dany

Banned
Check your map. If a place has a marker with a question mark, there's a secret in that room. If there's a locked door, use a key or find one. Basically, if the room isn't Gold-tinted on your map, there's something to do there.

I guess thats a good way to start. :p

Also, soundtrack bought, love it.

Zia

Serisouly one of hte best moments in video games is the end sequence, simply amazing and the start of NG+ is batshit crazy. Literally batshit.

I rank it alongside Rez HD's Area 5 and "Braid."
The only argument against it is the lack of interactivity, but the reboot with the melting away of Gomez's false reality is really special.

the game's ending (which I think is the greatest ever cinematic in a game; very surprised it hasn't been discussed that much

The first ending? It was awesome. Very 2001-esque at times. I was definitely all like mymindisfulloffuck.jpg lol.

Probably getting the other ending tomorrow. Just waiting on the clock room.

The first ending? It was awesome. Very 2001-esque at times. I was definitely all like mymindisfulloffuck.jpg lol.

Probably getting the other ending tomorrow. Just waiting on the clock room.

Is there a video of
the first ending
online? A search got me nowhere and I want to relive it.

I have 63/64 cubes now so I'm doing some final cleanup / puzzle solvery and I just stumbled upon some kind of
monolith (very much in line with the 2001-ness the game has at times)
. Wtf, lol. Can't figure out what to do with it. This is weird. Does it have something to do with the
book or the red cube
?

Edit: Damn, did a search and found the billion-reply GameFAQs thread on the subject, lol. Speculation all up in this bitch. I LOVE stuff like this!

Fez, I loves you so

I have 63/64 cubes now so I'm doing some final cleanup / puzzle solvery and I just stumbled upon some kind of
monolith (very much in line with the 2001-ness the game has at times)
. Wtf, lol. Can't figure out what to do with it. This is weird. Does it have something to do with the
book or the red cube
?

Edit: Damn, did a search and found the billion-reply GameFAQs thread on the subject, lol. Speculation all up in this bitch. I LOVE stuff like this!

Fez, I loves you so

Don't love it too much. If you'd like me to save you some eventual frustration, highlight this spoiler:

No one's able to link an actual puzzle to the monolith. There is an answer, but one of the first people who got it knew a programmer of the game, who told them that there's no clue to the solution in-game. Until the puzzle is released or discovered in some extremely obscure aspect of the game or the soundtrack, the only valid solution is brute-forcing the correct button combination on the right spot.

Don't love it too much. If you'd like me to save you some eventual frustration, highlight this spoiler:

No one's able to link an actual puzzle to the monolith. There is an answer, but one of the first people who got it knew a programmer of the game, who told them that there's no clue to the solution in-game. Until the puzzle is released or discovered in some extremely obscure aspect of the game or the soundtrack, the only valid solution is brute-forcing the correct button combination on the right spot.

I figured as much. After finding that the "tome" was effectively gibberish and seeing that none of the alphabet-hint-heavy rooms had any hint of how to decipher it I looked into threads on the subject and saw that people were just brute-forcing it but still didn't understand how it's "supposed" to be solved.

Has anybody involved with development officially said there is absolutely no hint to the solution in the game? I guess I don't see why it's there, unless there are plans for a patch or DLC at some point that would include hints. I mean, based on the awesomeness of the clever shit in the rest of the game I want to believe there has to be some tiny, crazy, obscure hint somewhere that nobody has found.

Edit: Just read that Ars piece. I'm pretty disappointed I didn't play the game a few days earlier. Following along with all that would have been cool.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I just listened to the last bombcast and decided to buy this game on a whim. I cant seem to find the last cube piece to get passed the first area, but I refuse to look up any answers. I am very frustrated, because it's probably something so so so simple.

I think
the tome verses point to locations of concentric circles hidden around the world. This was apparently part of a planned puzzle, but it was supposedly abandoned.

As for no hint, here's a post by the person who was the first outside of the development team to unlock it, the person that got the correct solution from a friend "on high," someone who worked on the game. Also note the careful wording of "in-game materials," which lead myself and others to expect a surprise in the soundtrack. Which people are finding things in it, like intentionally-hidden images, but most people are burned out on the game now, especially after it took such an effort to beat a puzzle that had a completely different scope from the rest of the game.

Edit: Oh, just to be clear,
the tome isn't gibberish, it just has to be read a specific way. But it does translate. I think there's a hint on the cover of the tome to how you need to read it.

I figured out the
security question
myself, but I did it by Googling, so I'm conflicted about whether or not it feels earned lol.

I figured it had to do with the owls since they spoke of the "name of god" and whatnot. I googled "thirteen circles," and sure enough, a few results down was "Metatron's Cube: An Aspect Of Sacred Geometry."

I had guessed that Polytron might have had something to do with the riddle, and a quick wiki of "meta" shows that it means after and beyond. Wish I had found the answer that way but I don't know if I ever would have.

Edit
Okay, I guess I didn't? I know it's metatron for sure but it's not taking it.
Edit edit
Had to cave and look it up. Feel dumb for not doing it sideways.

I'm torn on whether or not to use the brute-forced
monolith
code. Would this really be in there with no solution, or planned solution? I'll feel dumb if I just enter it now and then in a couple weeks the game is patched with some new content or something that actually hints at a solution.

Also, is there any discernable point to the
64 cube room (besides holding the also-seemingly-pointless heart pieces)? And does stereoscopic 3D vision serve any purpose beyond "hey, cool?"

Oh, and I was pretty frustrated with
the second ending. The first was incredibly badass, but the second one was just... that's it? Seriously?
That's my only real problem with the game at all, honestly.

DJ88

Ok, after reading through the entire thread I can finally post about my progress in the game. I have the 32 golden cubes and I'm at about 20 anti-cubes. This game is just ridiculous, so amazing. I hadn't heard about it all until I went into this OT about a week ago. I listened to 30 seconds of the soundtrack, a little bit of gameplay, and instantly bought it. I knew I would love this game. The visuals and music create such a haunting, dreamy like atmosphere that can't get enough of.

So I just have a couple questions.

I got 2 anti-cubes from QR codes, but there was a third QR code that my phone just wouldn't scan. I tried different scan apps, I even changed the color settings on my tv since the colors of the code and the wall are similar and I figured maybe the app was having trouble seeing the code. It never worked though so I'm wondering if anyone else had this happen. Also, my throne rooms don't spit out anti-cubes since I got them through the QR codes, but they still show up as white and with a secret question mark on the map. What's with that?

My other question is about the 33rd anti-cube. Is that the one from the observatory or is it somewhere else, because I already got that one and the red one in there? In order to get the complete 209.4% do I just need to stop when I get to 32 anti-cubes and never get a 33rd?

Daeda

Ok, after reading through the entire thread I can finally post about my progress in the game. I have the 32 golden cubes and I'm at about 20 anti-cubes. This game is just ridiculous, so amazing. I hadn't heard about it all until I went into this OT about a week ago. I listened to 30 seconds of the soundtrack, a little bit of gameplay, and instantly bought it. I knew I would love this game. The visuals and music create such a haunting, dreamy like atmosphere that can't get enough of.

So I just have a couple questions.

I got 2 anti-cubes from QR codes, but there was a third QR code that my phone just wouldn't scan. I tried different scan apps, I even changed the color settings on my tv since the colors of the code and the wall are similar and I figured maybe the app was having trouble seeing the code. It never worked though so I'm wondering if anyone else had this happen. Also, my throne rooms don't spit out anti-cubes since I got them through the QR codes, but the still show up as white and with a secret question mark on the map. What's with that?

Regarding the first one: are you sure it is a valid code, because I can remember a room that seemed to have one, but actually didnt. As for the throne rooms, it seems to fix when you start a NG+

Okie, after setting my alarm for 5:00 a.m. I grabbed my last cube...

Now that I have the 3D glasses, is there any reason to play further except for sight seeing?

DJ88

Regarding the first one: are you sure it is a valid code, because I can remember a room that seemed to have one, but actually didnt. As for the throne rooms, it seems to fix when you start a NG+

Well I remember seeing a QR code that was missing a corner and was incomplete. It's not that one though, it's a complete code but my phone won't even scan it so I never get a RT LT code. I did start NG+ and the throne rooms are still white and have ? marks.

I'll repost this one in case you didn't catch it in the edit

My other question is about the 33rd anti-cube. Is that the one from the observatory or is it somewhere else, because I already got that one and the red one in there? In order to get the complete 209.4% do I just need to stop when I get to 32 anti-cubes and never get a 33rd?

AFAIK to get the full 209.4% you just need all 64 cubes and the three red cubes. I believe the 33rd anti-cube is a glitch (like an actual glitch-glitch lol).

Chev

I'm torn on whether or not to use the brute-forced
monolith
code. Would this really be in there with no solution, or planned solution? I'll feel dumb if I just enter it now and then in a couple weeks the game is patched with some new content or something that actually hints at a solution.

We still have unexplained stuff lying around (were things like
the left pages in the tome or the concentric drawings hidden everywhere on the ground explained? For that matter, how can we be sure the tome text itself doesn't have some firther meaning?
) and if there's something this game has been eager to teach it's that there are hidden messages everywhere so I think anybody who says we've found everything there is to find and anything more is brute force is most certainly misled. And given the
first person view
did reveal new things I'd be surprised if there isn't something similar with the
3d glasses

And given the
first person view
did reveal new things I'd be surprised if there isn't something similar with the
3d glasses

I need to find some somewhere, lol.

In reading about the game since finishing it I'm seeing a lot of talk about a
destroyed stargate
. Where was this? I must have been past it before since I have all rooms gold but I can't remember it for the life of me.

Chev

I need to find some somewhere, lol.

In reading about the game since finishing it I'm seeing a lot of talk about a
destroyed stargate
. Where was this? I must have been past it before since I have all rooms gold but I can't remember it for the life of me.
It's in
the ruined version of the town of Zu, behind the broken 32 cubes door

Ah, duh. Thanks.

Minor frustrations with the ending aside, man, this was just a fucking great game. It's the kind of game I'll look back on down the road and think to myself "man, I wish I could experience that for the first time again."

Top Bottom