• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Fireflu

Agreed, what an absolutely incredible experience and im sure there are still secrets left undiscovered. I would also love for polytron to update the game with stealth dlc, adding new objects and locations without telling us but im sure thats against some MS protocol or somthin. Well it was a fun ride while it lasted and im sure their next project will be awesome.

I took the dive, three hours later and I'm lost in a sprawling maze of levels, witnessing events I don't understand and puzzles I cannot even begin to decipher. There's something downright Lovecraftian about it all. No sane man could craft a game like this!

So a large portion of the soundtrack released on the 20th (not the preorder or leaked version) had stereogram images buried inside of it. Here's some high-res shots:

http://blackcoffeespirit.tumblr.com/post/21570402923 (Tracks 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10)
http://blackcoffeespirit.tumblr.com/post/21570599829 (Tracks 13, 14, 18, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26)

The QR code scans to reveal a list of dates, all of which sync up to major space travel-related events.

I took the dive, three hours later and I'm lost in a sprawling maze of levels, witnessing events I don't understand and puzzles I cannot even begin to decipher. There's something downright Lovecraftian about it all. No sane man could craft a game like this!

Again, it seems that way at first, but it gets pretty simple once you find a few major rosetta stones (and realize what they are). The only thing that might give you trouble are
the three red pieces, which aren't necessary to get the Good Ending, or even seem to do anything past float there looking pretty.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Sorry if this has been answered a ton of times, but I don't want to get spoiled so I havent read the thread. I have an OG 360 and I use a thumb drive as my storage. I thought I read that Fez doesnt work for cases like mine. Is this true? Should I be able to run Fez on my old ass xbox running it off a usb stick?

DJ88

AFAIK to get the full 209.4% you just need all 64 cubes and the three red cubes. I believe the 33rd anti-cube is a glitch (like an actual glitch-glitch lol).

Thanks. Guess I'll find out if I'm missing the QR code when I get to the last anti-cubes.

Minor frustrations with the ending aside, man, this was just a fucking great game. It's the kind of game I'll look back on down the road and think to myself "man, I wish I could experience that for the first time again."

Completely agree.

Dany

Banned
Sorry if this has been answered a ton of times, but I don't want to get spoiled so I havent read the thread. I have an OG 360 and I use a thumb drive as my storage. I thought I read that Fez doesnt work for cases like mine. Is this true? Should I be able to run Fez on my old ass xbox running it off a usb stick?

I think it just that you have more framerate hitches when heading to a new area.

Just bought this game when I heard the segment on the Giantbomb podcast, it really made me want to play it bad after hearing them. To get the full effect should I take notes while I play or is that too excessive?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Just bought this game when I heard the segment on the Giantbomb podcast, it really made me want to play it bad after hearing them. To get the full effect should I take notes while I play or is that too excessive?

Unfortunately you do get to the point where you need to take notes if you want to figure everything out for yourself, that or look online.

I did finish the game first time through without figuring everything out or looking up hints though. I suggest you do that and then take notes when the feeling takes you or use a guide on second play through.

(nG+ isn't really a full play through, you still have everything you had before)

Unfortunately you do get to the point where you need to take notes if you want to figure everything out for yourself, that or look online.

I did finish the game first time through without figuring everything out or looking up hints though. I suggest you do that and then take notes when the feeling takes you or use a guide on second play through.

(nG+ isn't really a full play through, you still have everything you had before)

Yea, I'm seeing a lot of stuff that seems like it would be a good idea to remember just in this first area. I'm probably going to play-through the first time with little notes to get a better grasp of what I should be looking for on my second where i'll take more notes.

What the hell is with the backlash this game is getting at some places? People saying it's pretentious and stupid and whatnot. I don't know what it is about games that require thinking, but they seem to really bring out the hate machine in people who haven't even played it yet.

209.4% completion.

All three heart pieces and 3D glasses.

Not gonna lie, I loved every second. The 'smack your forehead' moments are great. When I figured out that the small monuments
indicated you need to go into 1st person and look for a tetris code, after I had collected every other cube and being completely stumped by them til the end
, I flipped but loved it.

I honestly adore that the
monolith
was brute forced, it lends it even more mystery. It was pretty damn imposing for a while.

(full spoilers)

I'm not the only one who thinks the 32 cube ending is way, way cooler than the "good" ending, right? Weird electronic Chopin, awesome imagery, the hilarious drum solo at the end... I was pretty disappointed in the lack of spectacle in the real ending. It's implying his world is a pixel in a TV, right? That's awesome, but the first ending is so much more interesting visually.

What the hell is with the backlash this game is getting at some places? People saying it's pretentious and stupid and whatnot. I don't know what it is about games that require thinking, but they seem to really bring out the hate machine in people who haven't even played it yet.

You need to remember Fez is mostly hated on by people who don't even own an Xbox 360 with personal agendas, and/or by people who don't like the creator, Phil Fish.

You need to remember Fez is mostly hated on by people who don't even own an Xbox 360 with personal agendas, and/or by people who don't like the creator, Phil Fish.

There's room for people to be disappointed, too. Honestly, this was hyped up for five years, and after all that, it's surprising that the game seems to lose interest in the rotation mechanic so quickly.

There's room for people to be disappointed, too. Honestly, this was hyped up for five years, and after all that, it's surprising that the game seems to lose interest in the rotation mechanic so quickly.

How so? You use the rotation thru out the entire time. I know I didn't lose interest - it just became second nature.

I'm one of those people who had been following the game the entire time. Bought the shirts when they first showed up in the store, downloaded the song demos... My finacé made fun of me for it. That said, while some of the puzzles were a stretch (for my brain at times), I'm not disappointed except in that I wish there was more for five years.

Beat this today. Fucking fantastic game. I loved some of the puzzles in the game. One of my favorites was
where the controller would vibrate on the left and right side to indicate the triggers to pull to get the cube
. That put a smile on my face. Don't think I'm going to go get all of the cubes though. Some of the puzzles are super tough!

Lo_Fi

So, I just beat the game, and I want to start getting into the meta stuff. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I have no clue where to start. I have 28 normal cubes and 4 anti-cubes. So, where should I start?

Edit: I read some previous posts giving some hints

so it sounds like a big part of it is decoding the game's alphabet? That sounds like the last thing i want to do. Is that the largest part of it? And where can I find the alphabet decoded if I just want to look it up?

So, I just beat the game, and I want to start getting into the meta stuff. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but I have no clue where to start. I have 28 normal cubes and 4 anti-cubes. So, where should I start?

Just check your map, see which areas don't have gold outlines and then...figure it out!

Dany

Banned
Yea, I'm seeing a lot of stuff that seems like it would be a good idea to remember just in this first area. I'm probably going to play-through the first time with little notes to get a better grasp of what I should be looking for on my second where i'll take more notes.

You don't need to do that for the first half of the game, IMO. I pulled out my notebook after starting NG+

SOME-MIST

so I finally caved in and bought it, and I've been having a good time with it. Sunk about 3 hours into it when I initially started playing and have just about 21 golden blocks.

stuttering doesn't really affect gameplay, however, my game did crash forcing me to turn off my 360 with the power switch which was pretty annoying.. hopefully I don't experience many more bugs.

blamite

so it sounds like a big part of it is decoding the game's alphabet? That sounds like the last thing i want to do. Is that the largest part of it? And where can I find the alphabet decoded if I just want to look it up?

You don't need to worry about the alphabet for any of the cubes or anticubes. What's more important are the numbers and tetriminoes.

Mister Snig

Neo Member

The alphabet doesn't take much effort to decode once you find what you need. This might be too much of a hint, but look up what a panagram is on Wikipedia.

Chev

The alphabet doesn't take much effort to decode once you find what you need. This might be too much of a hint, but look up what a panagram is on Wikipedia.

You don't even need it, there's a number of signs and a whole village at your disposal that'll give you a start on the alphabet if you just stop and think about them. Personally I did it with the
neon signs. You can even get a clue to the alphabet from the description of the tome achievement

Also, something important: actually decoding the alphabet is only needed for one intentionally hard puzzle that doesn't even contribute to the second ending, it's the non-alphabetic codes you need for everything else

Beat this today. Fucking fantastic game. I loved some of the puzzles in the game. One of my favorites was
where the controller would vibrate on the left and right side to indicate the triggers to pull to get the cube
. That put a smile on my face. Don't think I'm going to go get all of the cubes though. Some of the puzzles are super tough!

If you need help you can always ask here!

On the other side I wasn't hyped for it at all, but bought it off the back off the fantastic reviews. I lost interest fairly quickly once the environment became a chore to traverse through and it was evident that the harder cubes were puzzle book-esque riddles I'd be inputting codes from rather then deep uses of the mechanic.

Cronen

I'm just gonna put this under black bars just in case, but if anyone can clear things up for me, that would be great:

So I've heard that if you try and finish NG+ with more than 64 cubes altogether (due to glitches) it causes problems with the ending? (Ending won't play or something...I've had a quick look online about it).
I ask because I currently have 32 Cubs and 31 Anti-Cubes, however I have two more of the Anti-cubes left to get from the clock puzzle (green and grey hands), which obviously would give me a grand total of 65 cubes. So, is the ending borked? Is it worth me getting one more cube, watching the ending and then getting the last? Or do I have nothing to worry about here?

I'm just gonna put this under black bars just in case, but if anyone can clear things up for me, that would be great:

So I've heard that if you try and finish NG+ with more than 64 cubes altogether (due to glitches) it causes problems with the ending? (Ending won't play or something...I've had a quick look online about it).
I ask because I currently have 32 Cubs and 31 Anti-Cubes, however I have two more of the Anti-cubes left to get from the clock puzzle (green and grey hands), which obviously would give me a grand total of 65 cubes. So, is the ending borked? Is it worth me getting one more cube, watching the ending and then getting the last? Or do I have nothing to worry about here?

Get 64 cubes, watch ending, THEN get the other cube for a higher completion %.

How so? You use the rotation thru out the entire time. I know I didn't lose interest - it just became second nature.

The thing is, I guess, that it's sold as this puzzle game with a rotation mechanic, but in reality there are almost no puzzles in the game that rely on this mechanic. It could easily have been a normal 2D platformer, and it probably wouldn't have been any worse.

The rotation is really cool, but it doesn't add a great deal to the overall experience, which is far more embedded in code-cracking. It wasn't really sold as a code-cracking game, and so I can see why people would be disappointed that the rotation aspect is quite hollow.

IronRinn

So, I'm confused. I've completed the game twice and found everything. Do I need to finish a third time to
get the alternate ending because each time I finished the game I received the same one.

LQX

This would be the best subtitle on a Fez picture...
i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

But only for the first hour or two. Finally finished the game and loved it. However I think some are short selling the game and its those that seem to be the most excited about it. I got through the main game with no help and was even able to get about 8 anti-cubes.

So many like Gertsmann from GiantBomb make it seem like there is another dimension to the game and there is but you can have a just as fun and compelling rewarding game without trying to figure out some of the batshit insane puzzles.

Point is, stop making it seem like the core game is nothing but complicated math. Its really not. It plays great and is rewarding on its own. That experience alone makes it worth the 800 points.

Biggest issues...
-A warp gate should be in every area. So much time wasted trying to figure how to get back to certain areas.
-Every area should have had name. What the fuck. How could they overlook that?

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member

Weird i just did the exact same thing today, Can't wait to get into the crazy world of Fez. I'm just gonna take it easy until i get the first ending then i'm gonna go balls in with the secret stuff.

EDIT: The beginning of this game is fucking awesome, so trippy!

Weird i just did the exact same thing today, Can't wait to get into the crazy world of Fez. I'm just gonna take it easy until i get the first ending then i'm gonna go balls in with the secret stuff.

EDIT: The beginning of this game is fucking awesome, so trippy!

Wait until you start NG+ ;)

dLMN8R

Man I loved this game so much. I went into it somewhat blind, having only played it for a few minutes at PAX Prime. I played the first few levels, thought it was cool, then called it for the night.

Then I listened to the Giant Bombcast on the way to work last week.

Holy shit was that ever the wrong decision. The entire day at work I couldn't think of anything except playing more Fez. I needed to get home as early as possible to play more. I got home, played for hours and hours, discovering more of this incredible, beautiful world. The soundtrack is ridiculous and I instantly plunked down another $10 to buy that.

My only gripe is that one of the puzzles appears to be bugged - the one in the furnace room in the starting area. Spoilers - full solution is discussed:

I actually understand the full counting system. I understand how North = 1, East = 2, etc., and how they all combine together. Using that knowledge, I followed all 7 steps in the furnace room in the order they were given. Nothing working. I double-checked and triple-checked my solution, nothing.

For the first time in the game, I gave up and looked online for the solution.

It turns out that my first 5 of 7 steps in the solution were 100% correct, but somehow the 6th and the 7th were screwed up. Even after looking up the answer and going back to the puzzle in-game, I couldn't find any way whatsoever that the correct solution lined up with the clues given.

Am I alone in this? Is there something I'm missing about the 6th and 7th steps? Only thing I can think of is that there was some weird rotation in those steps that I didn't notice, but other than that, I can't think of anything.

gururoji

My only gripe is that one of the puzzles appears to be bugged - the one in the furnace room in the starting area. Spoilers - full solution is discussed:

I actually understand the full counting system. I understand how North = 1, East = 2, etc., and how they all combine together. Using that knowledge, I followed all 7 steps in the furnace room in the order they were given. Nothing working. I double-checked and triple-checked my solution, nothing..

Well, for one thing, there's 8 "steps" to that puzzle. It's never gonna work with seven. Look carefully around the room. The input code worked for me on the first shot once I figured out the numbers correctly.

Top Bottom