• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Rebirth on PS5 Pro is a "Night and Day Difference"

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
ZslZuZY.jpeg
Holy shit, you fooled me for a second. I was about to see she looks like David Duchovny.

I remember when FF7 launched in 1997 and blew everyone's dicks off with how amazing it was, and we all dreamt of the day 1000 years from now when in-game graphics would look as good as the FMV, so I look at a game like Rebirth and am amazed at how mind-boggling the jump in graphics has been, instead of saying retarded shit like "this game looks like dogshit and is literally unplayable"

Hunter 99

Which is why it's optional. As most people also don't dish out for expensive PC GPUs.

But for those who do, they enjoy the upgrades.

And 60fps mode on the Pro looking better than 30fps fidelity mode on the base is not a "small upgrade."
I get your point, it's optional and everyone whos buying the pro im honestly happy for you.
But 60fps on the pro looking better than fidelity mode at 30 being a BIG upgrade . Really? Is it a massive difference to you? I may be completely wrong but not sure the majority would agree. But each to their own.
Are You Sure For Real GIF by Rooster Teeth

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I get your point, it's optional and everyone whos buying the pro im honestly happy for you.
But 60fps on the pro looking better than fidelity mode at 30 being a BIG upgrade . Really? Is it a massive difference to you? I may be completely wrong but not sure the majority would agree. But each to their own.
Yes.

Wooxsvan

The difference being worth it will obviously be up to each person. I know iv spent silly amounts of money on PC to get a 20% upgrade. I think most of the outrage we're seeing is evidence that the console gamer has no idea how the PC realm works and how the higher you get on the tech end the smaller the noticeable difference is per $dollar

Go_Ly_Dow

I remember when FF7 launched in 1997 and blew everyone's dicks off with how amazing it was, and we all dreamt of the day 1000 years from now when in-game graphics would look as good as the FMV, so I look at a game like Rebirth and am amazed at how mind-boggling the jump in graphics has been, instead of saying retarded shit like "this game looks like dogshit and is literally unplayable"
Yup I was in awe from start to finish. It's great having that kind of perspective having been playing games since the mid 90s.

Last edited:

Traxtech

As a pc gamer that reverted back to playstation awhile ago, the pro is what I've honestly been wanting this whole time.

Ronin_7

They were mad as a company they knew how head to head matchups were going to go for the next couple of years

This makes John the gamer happy though
Let's be real here, Sony 1st Party games look incredible on Ps5.

FF VII Rebirth is an exception, it just looks like shit at 60.

Still buying the Pro because I want the best possible Console but still this game is an example of awful code.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Real talk. It’s shit like this that’s going to wear me down and eventually make me to buy the Pro.

Glasses Join Us GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Keep me in check here, but isn't that 45% better GPU performance not factoring in PSSR and the ray tracing upgrades? (the three pillars stuff)
3080 to 4080 was 50%. If th previous statement is correct, then it would be an improvement like a 3080 without using DLSS to a 4080 with DLSS.
It would make sense to have PS5 Pro very close, or in some cases higher IQ than base PS5 in quality mode.

YES! With PSSR included, the PS5 Pro is about 75% better than the PS5.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
What I don't like about this "60fps in fidelity mode" is, that most of the time the CPU is idle in 30fps games... So they still don't use all resources for emg physics in quality mode...
This part is actually not true.
Certain subsystems (Physics solvers, Audio rendering etc.) run on their own tick that is not tied to the game framerate (and for physics, that's usually 60fps or higher).
So those will actually consume proportionally the same amount of CPU time/frame regardless if you run at 60 or 30. There's also things that are scaled up in 30hz modes that also consume CPU (like scene density or particle emitters etc.) so 'most of the CPU being idle' would only be true if 60hz was already mostly idle.

But yes - you're right about anything that is tied to framerate, so overall CPU will have 'more idle' time at 30 than 60.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I haven’t seen this talked about much but according to the cnet article:

TVs with variable refresh rates that can range from 40 to 120 fps are going to work with the PS5 Pro, Cerny adds, because games will automatically get frame rate improvements without an upgrade patch.”

Getting the vrr window down from 48fps to 40fps is big news, isn’t it? It benefits me atleast because I have a cheap Hisense that has 120hz and vrr.

mckmas8808

Internet Reaction GIF by The Runner go90

If you have held off for 8 months to play rebirth on pro then your most likely not a ff fan. Cmon guys stop forcing it, most people aren't going to fork out this ludicrous price for a small upgrade in graphics.its not justified imo.
200.gif

It's funny how going from 30fps to 60fps with BETTER image quality is now considered a "small upgrade" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's literally the reason people upgrade from a 3080 to a 4090 Nvidia GPU.

mckmas8808

It's going to be so interesting watching the narrative on the ps5 pro change drastically over the next 2-3 months.

I think you know what it'll be like LOL! Wait until games like Black Myth Wukong get patched for the PRO. Imagine playing that game at 60fps with a 4K image quality!!!!

It was literally native 4k lmao

maybe he's comparing it to the performance mode which looked like shit.

Yes, he confirmed he was talking about the performance mode having a bad IQ image.

Shin-Ra

I haven’t seen this talked about much but according to the cnet article:

TVs with variable refresh rates that can range from 40 to 120 fps are going to work with the PS5 Pro, Cerny adds, because games will automatically get frame rate improvements without an upgrade patch.”

Getting the vrr window down from 48fps to 40fps is big news, isn’t it? It benefits me atleast because I have a cheap Hisense that has 120hz and vrr.
If only PS released the usual hardware spec sheet, this would already be clear.

My understanding of the ranges is that ‘HDMI Forum VRR’ that PS5 only supports is limited to 48-120Hz while FreeSync and other proprietary solutions like G-SYNC support wider ranges but sub 40Hz you really want to be frame doubling or tripling to keep the refresh high.

Mr Moose

Agreed. What were they saying when the game came out? It looked amazing? Where the
are groundbreaking improvements at?
Rebirth offers two visual modes - a graphics mode, which targets 30fps, and a performance mode which targets 60fps. Underlying visual settings appear to be a match here, so you're getting identical shadows, draw distances, and all the rest of it as far as I can tell. Resolution for the performance mode averages at around 1152p, while the graphics mode is usually at or near 4K, with both modes employing dynamic resolution. That's nothing particularly special, but there is a very odd quirk with the performance mode. The game doesn't upscale using a typical bicubic or bilinear method, but instead seems to double the pixels using a nearest neighbour technique or something similar, albeit with a slightly soft final resolve. It's noticeably blocky and still doesn't look much sharper than more conventional scaling methods.

I did try setting the PS5's resolution to 1440p output in the system settings, and the blockiness largely disappeared. It may still be scaling down from that 4K output though, as taking the original 4K output and doing a bilinear scale to 1440p produces a similar enough result. Still, it might be worth considering for those who really can't stand the image resolve in performance mode. Unfortunately, the relatively low resolution in performance mode - likely combined with some low-res post-processing or another visual bugbear - means that Rebirth is a lot softer than Remake when targeting 60fps. I thought Remake looked solid with its 1512p typical resolution in performance mode, but Rebirth really doesn't hold up well on a 4K set with the same visual options and requires improvement.

The graphics mode generally looks clean and sharp on a 4K set, with a crisp appearance in most content, though it can seem just a touch soft at times. I did notice a bit of ghosting as well, but it's otherwise a good image resolve. Again, I do wish camera-based motion blur was added. Per-object blur is enabled at all times, but the lack of camera-based blur makes the graphics mode look unnecessarily choppy. Interestingly, camera-based blur is also absent in cutscenes, which is a change from Remake.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth has some impressive visual strengths - but some unfortunate visual lows as well. You get beautiful cutscene sequences and a greatly expanded world, but have to tolerate some questionable lighting, low-res textures, and poor image quality in performance mode.

Synless

Fuck the resolution. I need to know if this version fixes the absolutely unacceptable pop-in this game has.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
I think you know what it'll be like LOL! Wait until games like Black Myth Wukong get patched for the PRO. Imagine playing that game at 60fps with a 4K image quality!!!!

At the end of the day every game that comes out on console is going to play the best on PS5 Pro and it won't be close. The PS5 Pro is going to make the PS5 look like the XSS for the same price gap as the XSX to the XSS...

Every game is going to be marketed as playing the best on PS5 Pro moving forward. You get an extra 1TB of storage that you were likely going to buy anways. You get significantly more performance.

$ for $ it is going to outpunch its weight with high end gaming rigs.

Sony knew there would be negativity at first, which is why they probably decided not to show games at first. Showing games would not have shifted the narrative and the overwhelming conversation would remain around the price. Once games trickle in... the narrative will organically change and none of this includes GTA6 yet...

There are a lot of people chiming in on price that would not have bought the PS5 Pro for any price. Xbox consumers, PC consumers, and Nintendo consumers. They have amplified the narrative against the PS5 Pro to suggest that it's really all PS consumers who are outraged. Yet the first thing that happened was that disc drives started selling out at retail... They blamed it on scalpers, despite the easy availability of these drives, it doesn't make sense for scalpers. They would never be able to corner the market on these.

State of Play
TGS
Patch Previews
Launch
Patch reviews
1st party reveals

All of these are narrative busters, because there is difficult in spinning value negatively. FOMO is going to set in for a lot of people. Even casual gamers are going to look and think about the PS5 Pro if they're upgrading from PS4.

mckmas8808

At the end of the day every game that comes out on console is going to play the best on PS5 Pro and it won't be close. The PS5 Pro is going to make the PS5 look like the XSS for the same price gap as the XSX to the XSS...

Every game is going to be marketed as playing the best on PS5 Pro moving forward. You get an extra 1TB of storage that you were likely going to buy anways. You get significantly more performance.

$ for $ it is going to outpunch its weight with high end gaming rigs.

Sony knew there would be negativity at first, which is why they probably decided not to show games at first. Showing games would not have shifted the narrative and the overwhelming conversation would remain around the price. Once games trickle in... the narrative will organically change and none of this includes GTA6 yet...

There are a lot of people chiming in on price that would not have bought the PS5 Pro for any price. Xbox consumers, PC consumers, and Nintendo consumers. They have amplified the narrative against the PS5 Pro to suggest that it's really all PS consumers who are outraged. Yet the first thing that happened was that disc drives started selling out at retail... They blamed it on scalpers, despite the easy availability of these drives, it doesn't make sense for scalpers. They would never be able to corner the market on these.

State of Play
TGS
Patch Previews
Launch
Patch reviews
1st party reveals

All of these are narrative busters, because there is difficult in spinning value negatively. FOMO is going to set in for a lot of people. Even casual gamers are going to look and think about the PS5 Pro if they're upgrading from PS4.

Exactly! And once DF gets their hands on one and starts to show the differences in 400 different ways...............it's over! What you and I are saying shouldn't be controversial.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Exactly! And once DF gets their hands on one and starts to show the differences in 400 different ways...............it's over! What you and I are saying shouldn't be controversial.

DF is already content farm around the PS5 Pro. They are desperate for the traffic around it despite saying it wasn't needed.

They put out a wukong video based on speculation of what PS5 Pro could do for Wukong... SPECULATION lol... they can't even wait to actually see it before putting a video out, because they know wukong is big now, they might lose views if they wait for you know... facts...

scydrex

When i played the demo. Performance mode is a blurry mess. Quality looks fine but 30fps. I told myself hell no. Will wait for the Pro or play it on PS6. Will not play this on PS5. Tried both modes and no thanks. On top of that i hate FSR garbage.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Its so fucking funny, it already began. Wait till proper FSR2 vs PSSR side by side comparisons, it will be brutal.
I also expect a big narrative shift on the technology given what the early signs show us.

But that won't change the overall narrative on the price, the lack of a stand and disc drive.

I think Sony would be wise to release a 1TB model for $100/£100 less, whilst also lowering the European price inline with those markets.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I’m late to the party and recently started ffvii remake integrade. You guys think it too will get a pro patch or just Rebirth?

Zacfoldor

Yesterday:

XI4NYS1.gif

Today:

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF

Sept 26th?

EhUlwqF.gif
Nailed it. Shit is already happening. You see them squirming lol. Getting ready for preorder day! Gotta get my store accounts ready. We doubted Cerny, we don't deserve PS5 Pro.

You see Cnet imply they expanded the VRR range down to 40? Elden Ring go, go, go!!! Ain't nobody got the willpower to resist this shite. Haters will be with us on launch day.

I’m late to the party and recently started ffvii remake integrade. You guys think it too will get a pro patch or just Rebirth?

I doubt FF7R gets an upgrade but you never know.

Nailed it. Shit is already happening. You see them squirming lol. Getting ready for preorder day! Gotta get my store accounts ready. We doubted Cerny, we don't deserve PS5 Pro.

You see Cnet imply they expanded the VRR range down to 40? Elden Ring go, go, go!!! Ain't nobody got the willpower to resist this shite. Haters will be with us on launch day.

Oh damn did they? I still haven't played the ER DLC so I hope you're right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom