• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Rebirth on PS5 Pro is a "Night and Day Difference"

paolo11

Dynamic modes work by lowering the resolution using an algorithm when it detects more time to render frames. If the game is just churning out frames fast then it won’t drop down because it doesn’t need to. It all depends what the cap is on resolution that is set in the mode. If it is 4K then you won’t need a patch.

I think performance mode for FF7 remake is 1520p and 4k on quality mode

Skifi28

What was hailed as a graphical benchmark just 8 months ago now is simply too awful to look at... unless you get PS5 Pro.

This launch is ridiculous.
Rebirth was never hailed as a graphical benchmark. Everyone's been complaining about terrible textures, weird lighting on character models and very blurry performance mode image quality since the demo.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I completed this entire thing. Its not the most technically advanced looking game on PS5, but I found it to look very good still. I am not going to replay it anytime soon, or ever. Doing everything clocks in north of 100 hours. I think I deleted it. Its funny because I liked REmake much less, but I did replay that game on hard mode. Its a more replayable game thats quite a bit shorter if you skip scenes and the rail gameplay.

What was hailed as a graphical benchmark just 8 months ago now is simply too awful to look at... unless you get PS5 Pro.

This launch is ridiculous.
It was not if I am not mistaken. Bad low resolution textures everywhere, and blurry performance mode. Quality mode never praised as sharp either. That was the general consensus from day one from most outlets. And PS5 Pro won't fix the low resolution textures which was the main problem for many.

Last edited:

GHG

You have people like Tom Warren already trying to back pedal now. As reports are getting out as to the equivalent GPU for PC, the value narrative is no longer holding true. It's too large of a gap to bridge.

I said there would be a campaign against PS5 Pro and I was right, I didn't know the campaign would fall on its face so quickly.... It's literally been two days.

Looks like they've been instructed to backpedal.

I guess we will find out why in due course.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

I bought it but didn't get around to it either so I will wait to play it on my Pro. Same goes for Spiderman 2. I really hope GoW Ragnarök gets an upgrade. I want to play that too.

Stu_Hart

Performance mode was a blurry mess, but I dealt with it because the graphics mode was choppy with no motion blur option seen in FF16. From the screenshots, the differences are more than just a simple graphics mode with 60 fps. There are subtle changes to the lighting.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Looks like they've been instructed to backpedal.

I guess we will find out why in due course.

For DF there's very little upside to pushing back on the PS5 Pro at this point. They yelled at Sony for not inviting them, but they might have or at least should have had conversations about how to proceed moving forward and what their bias against Sony might cost them moving forward. Maybe they'll tone it down, maybe they won't, but DF also doesn't want to embarrass themselves any further after the PS5 criticism they made didn't bear fruit.

Do they want a repeat of that? Do they want Sony to isolate them on PS6?

I don't think they should have to be flowery in praise of Sony hardware to get access to the PS6 early, but I'm sure being overly critical doesn't mean Sony should provide them access. Hopefully journalism can shift to facts and everyone can play things straight... lol here's for hoping.

But everyone's starting to see the value of the "big 3" and between now and November, you have to ask yourself how many receipts do you want out there of you downplaying something that turns out pretty good.

This is the XSX vs XSS. Imagine people arguing that the S provides better value...

By the way the performance mode looked pretty good to me on a 1080p TV! They really have an awful upscaling solution there.

Maybe they already had their hands on PS5 Pro devkits and they say "fuck it about properly upscaling this on PS5, PS5 Pro PSSR will automatically handles that for us".

Hunnybun

No it wasn't, it was a good looking game in a sea of good looking games.

As I remember it there was widespread disgust at the performance mode image quality. I played the demo and literally couldn't believe how bad it was. It looked like a PS3 game at times.

John is basically right. Whatever Square is doing with their upscaling really isn't good. FFXVI looked pretty terrible in performance mode too, and Intergrade's wasn't that much better. I remember playing that and at the time it was easily the biggest difference between Fidelity and Performance I'd ever seen.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Yeah if you are a PC owner.....🙄

Even if you're not a PC gamer, chances are the PS6 will be backwards compatible. People shouldn't spend $700 - $800 on this thing and then find out a few years later the PS6 will be roughly the same price. I mean if you have the money to burn then go for it if you really want it, but that small gain is not worth the price tag. You're spending a premium just to run Graphics Mode at 60fps.

scydrex

Even if you're not a PC gamer, chances are the PS6 will be backwards compatible. People shouldn't spend $700 - $800 on this thing and then find out a few years later the PS6 will be roughly the same price. I mean if you have the money to burn then go for it if you really want it, but that small gain is not worth the price tag. You're spending a premium just to run Graphics Mode at 60fps.
So why people spend $600 and more in a GPU in pc gaming? Why not buy a $300 or less gpu and play the game at 60fps with medium or low settings?

Last edited:
While fully aware of the huge price of the PS5 Pro (and brazilian taxes make things so much worse) I really want one and will buy it whenever possible.

FF7 Rebirth had one of the worst image quality I've seen in a 60fps PS5 game (it's really blurry) but the game's fidelity mode was crisp enough for me. Though I played it at 60fps because I couldn't stand 30fps for this game.

IF the PS5 Pro can really surpass the fidelity mode image quality wise for FF7 Rebirth then it's enough for me and I think it's a good indicator that the PS5 Pro is a MUCH more meaningful upgrade compared to what I experienced on the PS4 Pro.

Madflavor

Gold Member
So why people spend $600 and more in a GPU in pc gaming? Why not buy a $300 or less gpu and play the game at 60fps with medium or low settings?

You can find my answer in my only two posts on here, including the one you responded to. A good GPU can easily last you 5+ years if you aim to run games at 60fps on High Settings, and you have a much bigger library of games to play, not to mention modding. There's a reason people save and chalk up the money for a good PC. The PS5 on the other hand is entering the 2nd half of it's life cycle. It really comes down to what's a better bang for your buck. If this were the beginning of the PS5's run and you had the option to buy a base PS5 or a PS5 Pro, then I can see a bit more value in the Pro version. But at this rate if you already have a PS5, and you don't have money to burn, then you're better off waiting.

scydrex

You can find my answer in my only two posts on here, including the one you responded to. A good GPU can easily last you 5+ years if you aim to run games at 60fps on High Settings, and you have a much bigger library of games to play, not to mention modding. There's a reason people save and chalk up the money for a good PC. The PS5 on the other hand is entering the 2nd half of it's life cycle. It really comes down to what's a better bang for your buck. If this were the beginning of the PS5's run and you had the option to buy a base PS5 or a PS5 Pro, then I can see a bit more value in the Pro version. But at this rate if you already have a PS5, and you don't have money to burn, then you're better off waiting.
Ok but mycase i don't have a PC. Don't have a monitor, keyboard or mouse. So for $800 where i can play the games as best as possible a pc? Will it run games at 60fps with high settings at 1440p? For example? Will the GPU last me 5+ years like you said in my $800 pc? Of course you can upgrade the GPU but then you will be spending more money instead of lowering the settings to medium or low for example. So it's fine for me to spend more for a newer GPU to continue playing 60fps at high settings instead of lowering to medium or low.

Personally i find the library in ps5 good enough for me. I don't have a lot of time to play a lot of games. Don't care playing MS games neither. Don't care about gamepass. So why would i want a huge library? To brag about it and don't have a lot of time to play those games?

The ps5 digital $520 with a wd black 1tb ssd for a totak of 2tb. The pro is $180 what does it have or give you for $180 more?

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
Ok but mycase i don't have a PC. Don't have a monitor, keyboard or mouse. So for $800 where i can play the games as best as possible a pc? Will it run games at 60fps with high settings at 1440p? For example? Will the GPU last me 5+ years like you said in my $800 pc?

Personally i find the library in ps5 good enough for me. I don't have a lot of time to play a lot of games. Don't care playing MS games neither. Don't care about gamepass. So why would i want a huge library? To brag about it and don't have a lot of time to play those games?

The ps5 digital $520 with a wd black 1tb ssd for a totak of 2tb. The pro is $180 what does it have or give you for $180 more?

If you think the PS5 Pro is right for you, then by all means buy it. I can't tell you how to spend your money. I've laid out some reasons why me and many others find the price point ridiculous, but everyone is different.

scydrex

If you think the PS5 Pro is right for you, then by all means buy it. I can't tell you how to spend your money. I've laid out some reasons why me and many others find the price point ridiculous, but everyone is different.
I don't that yet. Because it's more expensive than what i though. Sony haven't sold it to me yet. If it would had the disc drive for the price it has then it would be fine. I wanted a Pro for some games like FF7 for example. I told myself i will play this on Pro or PS6. Because it looks bad at 60fps. There are some games that i think like that also. I love PC gaming. I have been wanting a PC for a couple of years but the PS5 have served me well Also will not spend $1000 or more on a PC even knowing what PC gaming is and the benefits it have. I just want to play the games at higher res or better settings. Like those PC gamers that upgrade their GPU instead of lowering the settings to low or medium. PC have DLSS. Console gamers are stuck with the FRS garbage sadly. Hopefully the PSSR will be better than FSR. Like i said PS5 digital with 2tb SSD (1tb internally and wd black nvme 1tb) $520. The Pro is $180 for better gpu, upscaling hardware, a bit faster memory, a bit faster cpu, a bit more ram and better RT we don't know what that means yet.

Last edited:

Neofire

I'm sure the ps6 is more than a few years out, especially with the world economies still trying to fight off this inflation. I bet that Sony did this to buy more time til the next iteration.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think performance mode for FF7 remake is 1520p and 4k on quality mode
So the question is that if that 1520p is fixed or whether that is the resolution that the algorithm determines is best. If it's not fixed, then you will get to full 4K pretty easily in performance mode without a patch. That's the advantage of dynamic resolution.

I don't that yet. Because it's more expensive than what i though. Sony haven't sold it to me yet. If it would had the disc drive for the price it has then it would be fine. I wanted a Pro for some games like FF7 for example. I told myself i will play this on Pro or PS6. Because it looks bad at 60fps. There are some games that i think like that also. I love PC gaming. I have been wanting a PC for a couple of years but the PS5 have served me well Also will not spend $1000 or more on a PC even knowing what PC gaming is and the benefits it have. I just want to play the games at higher res or better settings. Like those PC gamers that upgrade their GPU instead of lowering the settings to low or medium. PC have DLSS. Console gamers are stuck with the FRS garbage sadly. Hopefully the PSSR will be better than FSR. Like i said PS5 digital with 2tb SSD (1tb internally and wd black nvme 1tb) $520. The Pro is $180 for better gpu, upscaling hardware, a bit faster memory, a bit faster cpu, a bit more ram and better RT we don't know what that means yet.
PSSR needs to be very good for this to be worth it. Because the people buying it give a shit and know FSR sucks. PSSR being shitty is a total dealbreaker. But early indications are that it is very good.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

The base version is a pretty low benchmark , of course it doesn't take that much to have night and day difference .

Man, I guess...but still, aren't they actually trying  sell this thing? At some point you have to actually show which games are taking the biggest advantages of the extra power and why it's actually worth your $700.

They are trying to sell it but to the people who want it that's it. I'm sold, I'm buying it day 1. They want people like me who saw that presentation and that's enough for them. They aren't worried about anyone else. The Ps4pro was only like 12 of the overall market share. They aren't expecting much more then that if not a bit lower.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

My thoughts exactly. There is something really strange happening in gaming right now.

Minus the idea of DF "saving" the conversation. They'll have input, but I do think their input is also biased. There will be a lot more straight up and down analysis, which will be far more valuable.

Last edited:

yogaflame

My thoughts exactly. There is something really strange happening in gaming right now.

Minus the idea of DF "saving" the conversation. They'll have input, but I do think their input is also biased. There will be a lot more straight up and down analysis, which will be far more valuable.

Conjectures, that is the key word for videogame vloggers about ps5 pro right now. We really have to wait and see when they get there hands on it.

He is right.
- 99.9% of the games are already running at 60fps and the constant negative coverage are like: "let's talk about how games will be 30fps on PS5 Pro" "there will be 30fps modes on PS5 Pro"
- Almost all the games they showed showcased doubling the framerate of the quality modes from 30fps to 60fps: And we get "Games won't have their framerates doubled because of CPU"

Are medias retarded?

I am going to tell you what's happening. The woke stupid medias are propagandists for the big western corporations and will always be their activists. Sony, a japanese company competing against MS, a woke western company, will always be treated unfairly by the vast majority of medias. The presentations given by Cerny + CNET dive were actually great. Cerny didn't make the same mistakes as previously and focused on trying to show the improvements from PS5, which he did. This machine doubles the framerate of quality modes and sometimes improve the image fidelity with added RT effects.

They were right not to talk about specs, frequencies, FLOPS and TOPS because it would have given ammos to DF and the likes. He showed +2X better performance which is significant and gamers, the ones who actually buy the things they play, have mostly get the message: "Forget the specs, if you want quality modes at 60fps, this is the machine you want."

The biggest problem was the price, obviously, but here it's not Cerny's fault.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
He is right.
- 99.9% of the games are already running at 60fps and the constant negative coverage are like: "let's talk about how games will be 30fps on PS5 Pro" "there will be 30fps modes on PS5 Pro"
- Almost all the games they showed showcased doubling the framerate of the quality modes from 30fps to 60fps: And we get "Games won't have their framerates doubled because of CPU"

Are medias retarded?

I am going to tell you what's happening. The woke stupid medias are propagandists for the big western corporations and will always be their activists. Sony, a japanese company competing against MS, a woke western company, will always be treated unfairly by the vast majority of medias. The presentation given by Cerny + CNET dive were actually great. Cerny didn't make the same mistakes as previously and focused on trying to show the improvements from PS5, which he did. This machine doubles the framerate of quality modes and sometimes improve the image fidelity with added RT effects.

They were right not to talk about specs, frequencies, FLOPS and TOPS because it would have given ammos to DF and the likes. He showed +2X better performance which is significant and gamers, the ones who actually buy the things they play, have mostly get the message: "Forget the specs, if you want quality modes at 60fps, this is the machine you want."

The biggest problem was the price, obviously, but here it's not Cerny's fault.

FFXVI is proud to be part of the 0.1%!

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Conjectures, that is the key word for videogame vloggers about ps5 pro right now. We really have to wait and see when they get there hands on it.

Conjecture is FINE but we don't have conjecture, we have people piling on about the price and only the price.

The narrative is that at the price it can't be worth the price, because nothing could be worth the price. It's entirely disingenuous.

You have people saying it should have been 550 or 600.. and these people have no sense of reality.

PSSR could not work well, we can conjecture about that. The visible difference with the GPU could be seen as too little. The RTX could be negligible. The boosted CPU might not stabilize games enough. That's what we have to wait and see on.

But the idea that a console can't be worth 700 dollars? That's up to the market to decide. Whether the value of the Pro compared to its equivalent PC tells us a lot about its value relative to its cost and it doesn't seem close.

Minsc

Gold Member
It still has a 60 fps mode and it runs at that fps mostly in combat. It will be locked 60 on the pro without any patch

I dunno man, just saying of my ~50 hours or so with the game, outside the first couple hours, I don't really feel like anything I played was at 60fps. And it struggled with walking around the map, which is what you do most of the game.

Even in combat, I'd need to see receipts on that 60fps, because the camera pans do not look anything near as smooth as FFVII's (Remake or Rebirth).

scydrex

So the question is that if that 1520p is fixed or whether that is the resolution that the algorithm determines is best. If it's not fixed, then you will get to full 4K pretty easily in performance mode without a patch. That's the advantage of dynamic resolution.

PSSR needs to be very good for this to be worth it. Because the people buying it give a shit and know FSR sucks. PSSR being shitty is a total dealbreaker. But early indications are that it is very good.
That's what i want to see. If it's as good as DLSS then awesome. Will buy the Pro. Sadly Sony didn't show enough to sell the Pro especially at $700 without disc drive.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

'image quality was just too awful on normal ps5.'

strange but true: if gamers had been as demanding as this guy is 30 years ago, there'd be no gaming industry today...
It’s almost as if expectations shift as technology improves. Applying current mid- to high-end realtime graphics expectations to 30 years ago tech isn’t relevant.

By the way the performance mode looked pretty good to me on a 1080p TV! They really have an awful upscaling solution there.

Maybe they already had their hands on PS5 Pro devkits and they say "fuck it about properly upscaling this on PS5, PS5 Pro PSSR will automatically handles that for us".
As a 2160p OLED user that struggles with 30fps I appreciated the sharp (nearest-neighbour looking) scaling option and avoidance of FSR. Most of the UI text/lineart is full res 2160p, just the textured UI elements and 3D scenes that look upscaled ~1080p+.

In Remake I don’t remember any of the usual strategies like looking up at the sky or similarly featureless areas pushing the res noticeably higher than normal.

It’s almost as if expectations shift as technology improves. Applying current mid- to high-end realtime graphics expectations to 30 years ago tech isn’t relevant.
when your personal expectations are so uncompromisingly high that anything coming up short is 'just too awful'? then your expectations are far greater than mine. & that's as true now as it was 30 years ago...

paolo11

Oh snap I think it’s fixed. I know on PC it’s dynamic but for ps5 I think (and I may be wrong) it’s fixed. Someone prove me wrong here

Pelao

I'm sure it is, but even if I end up buying this poor excuse for a mid-generation refresh, I doubt I'll be replaying this underwhelming 90+ hour part 2 of a remake anytime soon. Great news for first time players though.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
PS5 Fidelity vs PS5 Pro Performance

4gGmGm7.png

Top Bottom