• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Rebirth on PS5 Pro is a "Night and Day Difference"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fucking biased DF, do they have no shame?
These guys always shill for this one company!
K-Pop GIF

Go_Ly_Dow

I’m late to the party and recently started ffvii remake integrade. You guys think it too will get a pro patch or just Rebirth?
Remake Intergrade is very competent on PS5 at 60fps. I would also say it's one of the better 60fps games on the console and is fine as is.

The performance mode on that includes all the graphical upgrades you see in the quality mode with no compromises, runs at a respectable resolution of about 1512p and the framerate is rock solid throughout with no dips.

Rebirth's resolution on base PS5 was about 1100p on performance mode and took a hit to the IQ over Remake because they were rendering a much bigger game, with massive maps, a lot more geomtery and all the characters on screen at once which are also double the poly counts over Remake.

I wouldn't expect a patch since no one is complaining about it and it's the opposite situation.

Last edited:

paolo11

Remake Intergrade is very competent on PS5 at 60fps. I would also say it's one of the better 60fps games on the console and is fine as is.

The performance mode on that includes all the graphical upgrades you see in the quality mode with no compromises, runs at a respectable resolution of about 1512p and the framerate is rock solid throughout with no dips.

Rebirth's resolution on base PS5 was about 1100p on performance mode and took a hit to the IQ over Remake because they were rendering a much bigger game, with massive maps, a lot more geomtery and all the characters on screen at once which are also double the poly counts over Remake.

I wouldn't expect a patch since no one is complaining about it and it's the opposite situation.

I do pray they patch Remake Integrade too . I know it looks better than Rebirth performance but I want it on 4k 60fps smooth on ps5 pro. Just my opinion of course

Mr.Phoenix

I get your point, it's optional and everyone whos buying the pro im honestly happy for you.
But 60fps on the pro looking better than fidelity mode at 30 being a BIG upgrade . Really? Is it a massive difference to you? I may be completely wrong but not sure the majority would agree. But each to their own.
Are You Sure For Real GIF by Rooster Teeth
Indulge me.

What did you expect the Pro to do?

So saying it takes fidelity mode PS5 games and can take that up to 60fps and look better while doing it, is underwhelming. And not worth the $250 cost of admission over the base digital SKU (not to forget the extra 1TB storage).

W#hat were you expecting from an upgrade that would be worth it?

Crayon

This game is brutal in the performance mode. I don't mind it at 30fps, though. Looks lovely and spots where 60 would be really helpful are infrequent. When it comes to framerate, I'm more interested in response, though higher is easier on eyestrain for long sessions.

Shin-Ra

Remake still looks a hell of a lot sharper with less specular aliasing in its 2160p Resolution mode. A PS5 Pro upgrade could have the best of both modes plus a bit more.

If PlayStation can’t get major PS5 games like Remake to quickly and easily implement PSSR then they’ve not done a good enough job.

NOW YOU TOO CAN PLAY UBISOFT BLOAT IN 4K 60FPS.

I don't really think that. Just poking fun at the people who label every open world title as "Ubisoft bloat"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I hereforth propose that ReMake is shortened to FF7RM or FFVIIRM and ReBirth is shortened to FF7RB or FFVIIRB. If the topic’s already about FF7, just Remake or Rebirth will suffice.

Feel free to ignore me and call both FF7R anyway.
Pro versions should be called, Remmaculate Reconception.

Gambit2483

This is probably one of the only games that has a clear visual advantage, especially with it being an actual PS5 exclusive and they blew it.

They could have dedicated 30-45 seconds to show the difference between performance mode on PS5 and the 4k/60fps PS5 Pro version and all they showed were 3 to 4 (blink and you missed it) clips. 🙄

WTF is Sony doing/thinking?

Skifi28

This is probably one of the only games that has a clear visual advantage, especially with it being an actual PS5 exclusive and they blew it.

They could have dedicated 30-45 seconds to show the difference between performance mode on PS5 and the 4k/60fps PS5 Pro version and all they showed were 3 to 4 (blink and you missed it) clips. 🙄

WTF is Sony doing/thinking?
It's a delicate situation where they have to show improvements while at the same time not throw Square and the base PS5 under the bus by showing how blurry rebirth is in performance. There's plenty of games that run with a vaseline filter on base PS5 on performance mode where the difference will be beyond vast, but I imagine their partners wouldn't be very happy showing their games at their worst in an official showcase.

Last edited:
Suddenly everyone not getting a Pro are desperate to claim everything looks 'fine' on the base PS5, even FF7R on fucking performance mode??!!

GTFO :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gambit2483

It's a delicate situation where they have to show improvements while at the same time not throw Square and the base PS5 under the bus by showing how blurry rebirth is in performance. There's plenty of games that run with a vaseline filter on base PS5 on performance mode where the difference will be beyond vast, but I imagine their partners wouldn't be very happy showing their games at their worst in an official showcase.
Man, I guess...but still, aren't they actually trying  sell this thing? At some point you have to actually show which games are taking the biggest advantages of the extra power and why it's actually worth your $700.

Skifi28

Man, I guess...but still, aren't they actually trying  sell this thing? At some point you have to actually show which games are taking the biggest advantages of the extra power and why it's actually worth your $700.
I wouldn't be surprised if they let DF and others like them do the actual "dirty work" while they focus on either their own games or new stuff coming out like Death Stranding 2. I imagine they're more concerened with keep selling PS5's than the Pro that will be 10-15% of the overall sales at best.

FeralEcho

Yeah, it looked horrible in performance mode and was unplayable in quality mode. Decided to wait for PC. Never thought I'd skip a Final Fantasy game on day one.
"Horrible looking at 60fps and Unplayable at 30fps" about one of the best looking games of the year...

Holy hyperbole 😂😂😂 Are you auditioning for a spot at Digital Foundry?

How the hell did you people survive pre PS4 Pro generation? Or were you all born during the last 10 years and all you know are 4k 60 gaming?

Hunter 99

Indulge me.

What did you expect the Pro to do?

So saying it takes fidelity mode PS5 games and can take that up to 60fps and look better while doing it, is underwhelming. And not worth the $250 cost of admission over the base digital SKU (not to forget the extra 1TB storage).

W#hat were you expecting from an upgrade that would be worth it?
I wasn't expecting anything. I didn't purchase a ps4 Pro and don't intend to purchase a ps5 pro.
The existence of a pro console has no significance to me.
I am just observing what I have seen and read so far.
There is no need indulge you.as I have nothing to indulge you with.
Good day to you Sir

good day hats off GIF by Adult Swim

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

You have people like Tom Warren already trying to back pedal now. As reports are getting out as to the equivalent GPU for PC, the value narrative is no longer holding true. It's too large of a gap to bridge.

I said there would be a campaign against PS5 Pro and I was right, I didn't know the campaign would fall on its face so quickly.... It's literally been two days.

You have people like Tom Warren already trying to back pedal now. As reports are getting out as to the equivalent GPU for PC, the value narrative is no longer holding true. It's too large of a gap to bridge.

I said there would be a campaign against PS5 Pro and I was right, I didn't know the campaign would fall on its face so quickly.... It's literally been two days.
Yes Mibu. What an insufferable propagandist. Weird presentation? Look at Tom Warren's weird takes on Microsoft "era-defining bets". MS didn't succeed in any of those 3 things he mentions. Nvidia is beating MS in AI, Steam / Sony is beating them in gaming and Apple beat them a long time ago in computing. Sony is also beating their ass down on gaming tools. They are no secrets for failure.

Notepad uncovers the secrets and strategy behind Microsoft’s era-defining bets on AI, gaming, and computing

Last edited:

Elbereth

Honestly, when I first booted Rebirth, I was instantly turned off with the visuals. Looked like the game was lathered with Petroleum Jelly… After 120 or so hours, I wasn’t bothered as much. Artistically, few others come close to Square-Enix when they are on top of their game….

I really wish Rebirth came out after the PS5 Pro lol

Rebirth and BG3 are my GOTG at the moment.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Honestly, when I first booted Rebirth, I was instantly turned off with the visuals. Looked like the game was lathered with Petroleum Jelly… After 120 or so hours, I wasn’t bothered as much. Artistically, few others come close to Square-Enix when they are on top of their game….

I really wish Rebirth came out after the PS5 Pro lol

Rebirth and BG3 are my GOTG at the moment.

I've amassed a huge backlog of games that I've specifically been waiting to play on PS5 Pro. I'm slightly disappointed that only 50 or so games will have patches ready on launch day because I doubt every game in my backlog will be covered, but there is still the possible benefits of boost mode. Especially in games with variable resolution or unlocked frame rates.

Example of how deep my backlog is; I'm hoping that RE2 would have a mode with 120hz with ray tracing.

Variahunter

I’m sorry but are we trusting a man wearing googles saying it looks crisp ?

I’ve seen so many people saying they have a perfect vision when wearing their googles… and tested them.
They definitely don’t.

'image quality was just too awful on normal ps5.'

strange but true: if gamers had been as demanding as this guy is 30 years ago, there'd be no gaming industry today...

Radical_3d

Watch all of us who are saying that “buying the European Pro is unethical” and that “we have to give Sony a lesson”, post +1.000€ complete Pro plus game pictures before 2025.
Hi. It’s 4am in Western Europe. Some idiot has just agreed to sell its SX to a friend for 300€ and some paint job in miniatures in the middle of some beer ingest. It begins.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
While this does look nice, I can't wrap my head around the words, "Image quality was just too awful on normal PS5."

I just spent the last hour playing Gameboy Advance games on Mac OpenEmu and loving every moment. I felt that Soul Calibur on Sega Dreamcast was the pinnacle of videogame graphics. Everything beyond that point is just overkill to my eyes. Mind you, once 8K televisions get rolling, that might make a difference, but we'll see.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
At the end of the day every game that comes out on console is going to play the best on PS5 Pro and it won't be close. The PS5 Pro is going to make the PS5 look like the XSS for the same price gap as the XSX to the XSS...

Every game is going to be marketed as playing the best on PS5 Pro moving forward. You get an extra 1TB of storage that you were likely going to buy anways. You get significantly more performance.

$ for $ it is going to outpunch its weight with high end gaming rigs.

Sony knew there would be negativity at first, which is why they probably decided not to show games at first. Showing games would not have shifted the narrative and the overwhelming conversation would remain around the price. Once games trickle in... the narrative will organically change and none of this includes GTA6 yet...

There are a lot of people chiming in on price that would not have bought the PS5 Pro for any price. Xbox consumers, PC consumers, and Nintendo consumers. They have amplified the narrative against the PS5 Pro to suggest that it's really all PS consumers who are outraged. Yet the first thing that happened was that disc drives started selling out at retail... They blamed it on scalpers, despite the easy availability of these drives, it doesn't make sense for scalpers. They would never be able to corner the market on these.

State of Play
TGS
Patch Previews
Launch
Patch reviews
1st party reveals

All of these are narrative busters, because there is difficult in spinning value negatively. FOMO is going to set in for a lot of people. Even casual gamers are going to look and think about the PS5 Pro if they're upgrading from PS4.
Some real fanboy energy going on in there.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Don’t you need patch for it? And higher res on performance mode , correct?
Dynamic modes work by lowering the resolution using an algorithm when it detects more time to render frames. If the game is just churning out frames fast then it won’t drop down because it doesn’t need to. It all depends what the cap is on resolution that is set in the mode. If it is 4K then you won’t need a patch.

sachos

While this does look nice, I can't wrap my head around the words, "Image quality was just too awful on normal PS5."

I just spent the last hour playing Gameboy Advance games on Mac OpenEmu and loving every moment. I felt that Soul Calibur on Sega Dreamcast was the pinnacle of videogame graphics. Everything beyond that point is just overkill to my eyes. Mind you, once 8K televisions get rolling, that might make a difference, but we'll see.
He means the image quality of performance mode. Not the realism of the graphics or the art style, the actual quality of the image presented to the display ie pixelation/blurriness. A pixel art game properly upscaled can present better on a modern display than a blurry FSR2 720p to 4K upscaled game.

Top Bottom