• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

k0ji-wd

Magicked said:
Too bad game 3 last night wasn't as close as the first two. Looks like it's time to do the final though! koji, can we play tonight at the same time you and Astro played yesterday? If not then, what about tomorrow morning (early for me, like 6 am EDT, which I believe is 6 PM for you) or tomorrow night?

We only have one game to play with potential OT and PKs, so hopefully we can squeeze it in before the weekend.

I'm a little worried about the lag, but hopefully it isn't too bad. BTW, who is home in the final game?

I can play no later than about 8:30PM (your time, in about 8 hours) today. . .or if we can't do it then early morning the following day would probably be fine.

There shouldn't be a problem with lag, this was the first time any has popped up in all the games I've played in the MLS league this time round'

Get ready for a taste of this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcfBSZbX22E:D

k0ji-wd

Also, just wanted to ask, any of you have any interest in watching the final after we play it? I can grab a DVR and record it, then upload it to youtube or something

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
couple fifa 10 details:

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/first-fifa-10-details-emerge/#more-819

most of it is vague and generic, but "flick passes" sound interesting
Ball Physics: We made changes to the ball physics last year, and it became what I think is the most realistic ball behaviour in-air that we have had. However, there were a few problems that we did not have time to fix, such as the ball bouncing too fast after it hits a player. We are working this year to polish this feature and fix issues such as this.
I like this. The ball bounces way too damn fast in 09. Euro had ball physics almost perfect imo even though 09 improved player physics/interaction.

Defensive Line Height: We always need to have a balance between defending and attacking. At the moment, the attacking team has an edge when it comes to ground and lofted through balls. I think part of the problem is that the defensive line defends too high at times, and that our lofted through balls are too accurate. We are definitely aware of this issue and we hope that it will be much improved for FIFA 10.
Another good fix. I just think that through balls need to feel more satisfying. When you get a perfect through ball, sure you got the power right, but the rest of it is usually because the D screwed up (usually auto-switch) and it feels like the game just randomly decided to give you a perfect setup sometimes.

BUT:

Online leagues motherfuckers! COME ON ALREADY. It pisses me off to no end how much tweaking and attention the crappy single-player modes get while online leagues/tournaments/options remain stuck in the fucking stone age. Give us the OPTION to have OT/no OT/Golden/Silver etc. Track assists. Maybe even variable weather! How about an online league system that isn't such garbage that we would rather pay some schmuck 30 bucks to give us a league framework to work with? Here's a crazy fucking idea that we'll get FIFA VISION CONES before we get this: Have online leagues be viewable on the web! Just no excuse to not be able to see the standings, stats, etc. online. If the greedy fuckers want to "charge" the league 800 MSbucks go for it.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
sneaky77 said:
I hope they tweek the high pressure high agression tactics so people that use them their players will tired much faster

You know what pisses me off is that when you do use high pressure the fucking announcers sell your ass out.

sneaky77

ChrisGoldstein said:
You know what pisses me off is that when you do use high pressure the fucking announcers sell your ass out.

is not like is hard to notice, lol is quite unbalanced in 09 i think

Magicked

k0ji-wd said:
I can play no later than about 8:30PM (your time, in about 8 hours) today. . .or if we can't do it then early morning the following day would probably be fine.

There shouldn't be a problem with lag, this was the first time any has popped up in all the games I've played in the MLS league this time round'

Get ready for a taste of this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcfBSZbX22E:D

Haha, the cadie thing is awesome.

Anyway, I can get on earlier too. I just thought you would need it later. I'll get on about 8:00 or so or even earlier if need be. I'll probably be home about 6:30 PM, so just name a time and I'll show up.

And that'd be sweet if you could DVR it. Of course, I'm playing so it won't be as big of a deal. :p How do you hook it up to be able to do that?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
sneaky77 said:
is not like is hard to notice, lol is quite unbalanced in 09 i think

I scored a great goal against magicked in the first game (much better than his ugly, crappy ones) and then I was stupid and continued to use high pressure. I wanted to light him up but I was just hitting the damn posts or his goalie's chest :lol

k0ji-wd said:
Also, just wanted to ask, any of you have any interest in watching the final after we play it? I can grab a DVR and record it, then upload it to youtube or something
Do it!

TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVE!
2zyjuxe.jpg

Magicked

ChrisGoldstein said:
I scored a great goal against magicked in the first game (much better than his ugly, crappy ones) and then I was stupid and continued to use high pressure. I wanted to light him up but I was just hitting the damn posts or his goalie's chest :lol

How dare you!! My free kick was a thing of beauty and my header defied the laws of physics! :lol

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Magicked said:
How dare you!! My free kick was a thing of beauty and my header defied the laws of physics! :lol

:lol

The free kick was good, I admit. I messed up and pressed x instead of y so I didnt jump, smh

I never talk for league games I knew I should have just shut up but I think you play better when you dont talk so I figured it was worth the risk.

woodchuck

k0ji-wd said:

i would actually be interested in this if it's not too much trouble :lol . only if i dont know the score beforehand :lol

and yeah, ONLINE LEAGUES! god damn it. there are already EA games with that in NCAA 09. but i think 2k9 has it the best.

here's the gaf 2k9 league to see what i'm talking about: http://community.2ksports.com/community/league/index.cfm?l=47826

it updates everything online in real time. it lets you upload videos that you can save from in game. hell, madden and nhl both let you save and upload online goals. it even lets you do in-game trades and stuff. oh, and it's free.

i would love to have like an online manager mode with everyone. which is sort of what NCAA 09's online dynasty mode is like.

Online manager mode would be rad.

Is EA making money hand over fist on this game? I see it's consistently been in the XBL top 10 most played games since it came out. Still sitting at #7 or #8 this week after all this time.

woodchuck

yeah, i definitely think they have to adjust the fatigue for high pressure. right now, i think fatigue only goes down substantially for sprinting. i dont know how much pressuring affects fatigue.

but one thing i do like against high pressure is that the defenders are more vulnerable to flicks and turns.

Magicked

woodchuck said:
i would actually be interested in this if it's not too much trouble :lol . only if i dont know the score beforehand :lol

and yeah, ONLINE LEAGUES! god damn it. there are already EA games with that in NCAA 09. but i think 2k9 has it the best.

here's the gaf 2k9 league to see what i'm talking about: http://community.2ksports.com/community/league/index.cfm?l=47826

it updates everything online in real time. it lets you upload videos that you can save from in game. hell, madden and nhl both let you save and upload online goals. it even lets you do in-game trades and stuff. oh, and it's free.

i would love to have like an online manager mode with everyone. which is sort of what NCAA 09's online dynasty mode is like.

Holy crap. C'mon EA!

Since I'm home, I guess I'll be reporting the score for the match tonight. I'll just spoiler tag everything so you guys can watch the video before checking it out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you could do a highlights that would be cool too.

Couple more requests to EA, which I know is following this thread very closely:
-Ability to save online replays in unranked matches.
-Relatedly, the YouTube thing sucks. Quality is terrible, takes forever to save, and I don't even get a good version to watch locally. Scrap it and just give us the option later upload highlights ourselves (if bandwidth is an issue, just limit the aggregate amount of time that can be uploaded).
-Option for no pause/halftime time limit in matches w/ friends. Why should I be rushing/only able to do half of what I want to do?
-Do pauses like how WE9 did it: When the ball is out of play, BOTH players can pause. When in play, no one can pause. I have no idea why they ever deviated from this.

Most of this isn't "oh I don't know if we can get all that in this year"-type stuff. This is mostly supremely basic stuff that should have been the default to begin with.

woodchuck

i think you should be able to rewatch the entire match after it's over (at the stat screen) to save any clip locally to your hard drive to upload later.

that's what pisses me off. Madden allows you to rewatch any play offline/online after the game is over. allows you to save it locally to your HD and then you can upload it later.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I really don't understand why the teams seem to share absolutely nothing. Like why is NCAA apparently ten years ahead of every other EA game for online leagues? I thought this was supposed to be a benefit of working under the umberella. SYNERGY people
Yeah no pauses in play would be great. In particular two BACK TO BACK 30 second pauses during play.
Yeah I don't like to do it, but sometimes I have to b/c I have no idea when I'll get the ball out of play. The WE9 method is so fucking obvious I have to applaud whoever came up with the FIFA system for outstandingly creative stupidity.

I hate because I love.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
AstroLad said:
I hate because I love.

Magicked paused twice after he got the red card in like the 70th minute or so. I was starting to heat up and I just needed one goal. Heard his couch in the background too.

Magicked

ChrisGoldstein said:

Magicked paused twice after he got the red card in like the 70th minute or so. I was starting to heat up and I just needed one goal. Heard his couch in the background too.

I was so flustered from the accidental red card that I couldn't remember how to move positions around! Acted as a momentum killer though too.

And it was my chair. I don't have a couch in my office area.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
woodchuck said:
but they all do share the same horrible menu system

MISC.-->FIFA 09-->MY FIFA 09-->MODES-->GAME MODES-->FIFA 09 GAME MODES-->PLAY-->MULTIPLAYER-->ONLINE PLAY-->ONLINE GAME MODES-->CREATION-->MATCHES-->MATCH TYPES-->UNRANKED-->MATCH OPTIONS-->PRIVATE-->CREATE UNRANKED MATCH

AndresON777

shooting blanks
AstroLad said:
MISC.-->FIFA 09-->MY FIFA 09-->MODES-->GAME MODES-->FIFA 09 GAME MODES-->PLAY-->MULTIPLAYER-->ONLINE PLAY-->ONLINE GAME MODES-->CREATION-->MATCHES-->MATCH TYPES-->UNRANKED-->MATCH OPTIONS-->PRIVATE-->CREATE UNRANKED MATCH

It always takes me several minutes to send the match invite.

woodchuck said:
oh my god. i checked out the fifa 09 forums just to see what else people have been suggesting for future fifa games:

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/f...ml#post7455673

jesus christ

There's no hope for mankind

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
FIFA forums are a fucking cesspool like nearly any official forum. If that's where the team is getting all their player input from, it's no wonder their attitude is "LOL, FANS."

yeah most posts there are incredibly moronic, but some people have been making some good posts and the EA team has actually been reading stuff, will it translate to anything, who knows. As long as Fifa keeps on this improving line is good stuff.

Fifty

I knew my Fire would go on and do good. I'm so happy! At least some good came out of EA's bizarre decision to randomly not allow me on the servers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Fifty said:
I knew my Fire would go on and do good. I'm so happy! At least some good came out of EA's bizarre decision to randomly not allow me on the servers.
They definitely would not have come out like they did in Game 3 had it not been for your pre-season conditioning program.

Brazil for me.
woodchuck said:
Here's the tentative draft order for the world cup, based on how they performed in the mls league

1. Daigoro - Spain
2. Cornballer - Brazil

3. FiveHorizons
4. Sneaky
5. Tf53
6. Shinobi - hasn't responded/may not play
7. woodchuck
8. Strikevillain - hasn't responded/may not play
9. NA
10. grkazan
11. chrisgoldstein
12. Loser of Tse/Astrolad
13. Winner of Tse/Astrolad
14. new person
15. new person
16. new person
FiveHorizons is up. Let us know if the draft order changes, woodchuck.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Updated.

1. Daigoro - Spain
2. Cornballer - Brazil

3. FiveHorizons
4. Sneaky
5. Tf53
6. woodchuck
7. Strikevillain
8. NA
9. grkazan
10. chrisgoldstein
11. Astrolad
12. TSE
13. new person
14. new person
15. new person
16. new person

How does woodchuck get to pick 6th? That's jacked. Should be dropped 10 spots for being the champion of the last league.

woodchuck

be sure to start Pato. when testing out Holland's real team, i played some dude who started Pato and Diego. he beat me like 5-0 and all his goals were amazing with pato and diego.

draft order is the same except to delete shinobi

1. Daigoro - Spain
2. Cornballer - Brazil
3. FiveHorizons
4. Sneaky
5. Tf53
6. woodchuck
7. Strikevillain
8. NA
9. grkazan
10. chrisgoldstein
11. Astrolad
12. Koji
13. new person
14. new person
15. new person
16. new person

woodchuck said:
be sure to start Pato. when testing out Holland's real team, i played some dude who started Pato and Diego. he beat me like 5-0 and all his goals were amazing with pato and diego.
Yup, I have a bunch of changes to make. Formation-wise and play style was working well for me last night, but I need to get Alves on as well as a couple other guys.

AstroLad said:
Updated.

1. Daigoro - Spain
2. Cornballer - Brazil

3. fiveHorizons - France
4. Sneaky
5. Tf53
6. woodchuck
7. Strikevillain
8. NA
9. grkazan
10. chrisgoldstein
11. Astrolad
12. TSE
13. new person
14. new person
15. new person
16. new person

France

woodchuck

also just an fyi, you can go to "manage teams" and change your lineups/formations/tactics there without having to do it every single time before a game

Tf53

Sneaky, pick whoever you want, I'll take either Argentina (1st choice) or England (if you take Argentina). That way the fine folks in the glorious United States of leftbehindedness won't have to wait for me to wake up.

woodchuck

Tf53 said:
Sneaky, pick whoever you want, I'll take either Argentina (1st choice) or England (if you take Argentina). That way the fine folks in the glorious United States of leftbehindedness won't have to wait for me to wake up.

smart

We feel that the more games the better so we won't be doing it like the World Cup. We'll be doing it similar to the CL.

We're giving you guys 2 weeks to play 6 games with 3 opponents in any order. You can play the two games back to back to make things go faster. We'll be starting the playoffs immediately after the group stage is over. So this means, the faster you complete the group stage, the faster we can start the playoffs.

and here's the schedule that we're thinking of doing:

Thursday: open up general sign-ups for any open spots
Saturday: Tournament officially begins
Magicked gets married, yayyyy

April 18th: Group stage ends. Playoff Begins. We'll do home and home like before (more games the better)

We need the playoffs to end by April 28th. I'll be out of town starting April 29th.

I'll randomly sort you guys into groups using a random number generator. So if you happen to be in the group of death, it's not my fault!

k0ji-wd

Just to add to the unbearable tension in the air, I had something come up with work so I'm going to have to ask Magicked if we can postpone our game until tomorrow morning (your time, like in 12 hours) if that's possible, sorry!

Magicked

k0ji-wd said:
Just to add to the unbearable tension in the air, I had something come up with work so I'm going to have to ask Magicked if we can postpone our game until tomorrow morning (your time, like in 12 hours) if that's possible, sorry!

Ouch. That means I gotta wake up early. How about 6:00 AM my time (EDT)? If not then, it'll have to be later tomorrow night (like 10:00 PM+) or Friday morning at 6:00 again. I may be able to do Friday early afternoon if absolutely necessary.

k0ji-wd

Magicked said:
Ouch. That means I gotta wake up early. How about 6:00 AM my time (EDT)? If not then, it'll have to be later tomorrow night (like 10:00 PM+) or Friday morning at 6:00 again. I may be able to do Friday early afternoon if absolutely necessary.

6:00am sounds good, sorry for being an ASSHOLE and making you get up early :lol

sneaky77

1. Daigoro - Spain
2. Cornballer - Brazil
3. fiveHorizons - France
4. Sneaky - Argentina
5. Tf53
6. woodchuck
7. Strikevillain
8. NA
9. grkazan
10. chrisgoldstein