• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 09 (360) MLS League Thread.

Daigoro

damn Goldstein. now i dont feel so bad for getting ass raped a few games ago by you.

we need to set some new rules for Chris. no booze before games!

screw it, i suck, but ill keep playing! :lol

1. woodchuck
2. astrolad
3. N.A.
4. k0ji-wd
5. Tf53
6. ChrisGoldstein
7. sneaky77
8. fivehorizons
9. Daigoro

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Pretty stoked for the World Cup. Gonna be fun to try to learn whichever team I get stuck with and the format was quite fun last time we did it (I think with WE9).

I think woodchuck might have mentioned this, and anyone who it would apply to probably won't even read this post anyway BUT: If you're gonna play in the world cup please be at least moderately available. We had a few too many "I'm available from 5-6 on Sunday, maybe" (only post in the league thread for two weeks) people this go-round. If you are reading this, chances are you are not one of these people.

Daigoro said:
screw it, i suck, but ill keep playing! :lol
+1 I'm good for a three and out performance.

1. woodchuck
2. astrolad
3. N.A.
4. k0ji-wd
5. Tf53
6. ChrisGoldstein
7. sneaky77
8. fivehorizons
9. Daigoro
10. Cornballer

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Might pick Uruguay for some reason they're 4 stars.

I just started to use jostling and right trigger (where you shield the ball) and that has really helped out my game.

--and semi shooting. I can't shoot worth a shit on auto

grkazan12

Cornballer said:
+1 I'm good for a three and out performance.

1. woodchuck
2. astrolad
3. N.A.
4. k0ji-wd
5. Tf53
6. ChrisGoldstein
7. sneaky77
8. fivehorizons
9. Daigoro
10. Cornballer

is there still room for this inter. tourny then if so i'll go with Greece if not then I understand

woodchuck

grkazan12 said:
is there still room for this inter. tourny then if so i'll go with Greece if not then I understand

it's a 16 team tournament, so there's still 6 spots left.

we'll be selecting teams based on where they finished in the previous league. so we'll have to wait for it to be finished to get the draft order finalized.

as for people who may not have played in the previous league, i'll randomly insert you guys at the bottom (sorry but thats what happens to the rookies) so top 5 picks have already been finalized (the teams with the lowest points).

but more importantly, would you guys be for/against playing 6 games with 3 opponents in 10 days. The scheduling would be the same. Instead of playing 1 match with your opponent at a time, you'd be playing 2 matches at a time (home and away) like how we're doing it in the playoffs

woodchuck

here's an updated bracket:

2gyd6ro.png

let's go guys! of course, koji is still waiting on one game to be played...

khaaaaan-150x150.jpg

"STRIIIIIIIIIIKE"

grkazan12

1. woodchuck
2. astrolad
3. N.A.
4. k0ji-wd
5. Tf53
6. ChrisGoldstein
7. sneaky77
8. fivehorizons
9. Daigoro
10. Cornballer
11.grkazan11

Add another one to list aka me can't wait to see the finale to the MLS and for this new tourny.

Magicked

Game 1: Scores already posted.

The first game was a tight match that could have gone either way. CG buried one with Galindo which gave me a nice oh shit feeling. I then got lucky on a freak header where Morales headed it with the back of his head across the box to the far corner. It was ridiculous. He later pumped a free kick into the back of the net to take the lead.

Game 2:

RSL 0 - 0 Chivas

I had a very difficult time in this match. Goldstein seemed to have the edge and even hit the bar a couple times. He created a breakaway around the 65th minute where my defender was struggling to keep up, but was right on his player's hip (I believe it was Galindo). Borchers then attempted a desperate tackle to save the goal, but ended up missing completely and tripping the attacker. He was immediately shown a red card and I had to adjust my tactics to try and stay in the game. (In all honesty, I was holding A to try and stay on him while calling my keeper out with Y. My thumb moved across B in the process and my defender made the slide tackle.)

Several tense moments later and the final whistle blew.

GGs CG. Those were some intense moments!

k0ji-wd

woodchuck said:
let's go guys! of course, koji is still waiting on one game to be played...

shit, i forgot about that game, fivehorizons will you be around later?

and Astro/Strike get your playoff games played!

woodchuck

k0ji-wd said:
shit, i forgot about that game, fivehorizons will you be around later?

and Astro/Strike get your playoff games played!

nooo. i was referring to you having to wait for astro/strike.

regular season doesn't really matter now...but you can still play it if you want.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jiminy effin Christmas. I'll probably lose my next games 7-0 8-1 because those felt like my championship right there. Three completely insane matches that of course ended in PKs (I just knew I'd give up that 90th minute goal in Game 2; same exact thing happened last season!).

Game 1
NY 2 NE 1
Total Shots: 8-6
Shots on Goal: 4-2
Dube (NE) 45' Angel (NY) 45', 48'

Game 3
NY 1 NE 1
Total Shots: 9-14
Shots on Goal: 5-3
Angel (NY) 40' Ralston (NE) 68'
PKs: 4-2 (Angel)

ggs man; really felt like a playoff atmosphere right down to the completely wacky-ass goals in Game 3.

Thank you Captain Clutch.

316u244.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
striKeVillain! said:
Game 3 was so fuckin' wacky. I'm glad it's over though, my thumbs hurt..
haha ditto

fwiw match 2 was 1-2 ne in case strike wasn't able to grab the stats (90th minute goal!!!!)

EPIC

i was routinely checking on your match on xbox.com . when i saw "playing pens", i almost shit my pants
the only way a big soccer game should end--the exact same bs way it does irl! honestly after that 90th-minute goal in game 2 (when strike was a man down no less) i just knew it was going to pks in game 3 no matter what

woodchuck

Here's the tentative draft order for the world cup, based on how they performed in the mls league

1. Daigoro
2. Cornballer
3. FiveHorizons
4. Sneaky
5. Tf53
6. Shinobi - hasn't responded/may not play
7. woodchuck
8. Strikevillain - hasn't responded/may not play
9. NA
10. grkazan
11. chrisgoldstein
12. Loser of Tse/Astrolad
13. Winner of Tse/Astrolad
14. new person
15. new person
16. new person

top 5 can start choosing their teams. daigoro...you're up first!

Magicked

ChrisGoldstein said:
Magicked you ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light.

:lol

:lol

woodchuck said:
and nice job magicked. cant believe you shut out chrisgoldstein

He hit the post twice (?) I think in that game. Plus, he had some dangerous free kicks and some other close calls. It was a scary match!

Now we just need to get the eastern conference final over. I hope you guys can play it quickly, because once Friday hits I will be out of commission. I'm getting married Saturday, and all the family get in town on Friday so all my time will disappear. I'll also be leaving town Sunday for two weeks.

If we can't get it done, then so it goes. I'm sure CG can step in for the final or something if need be, but I'd definitely rather play it.

woodchuck said:
Hmmm, I'll think about it this morning. I'm sort of tempted to take the US because I've played with them a fair amount, but it might also be fun to use a team with a little more talent. I'll get back to you in a bit.

woodchuck said:
Here's the tentative draft order for the world cup, based on how they performed in the mls league

1. Daigoro
2. Cornballer
3. FiveHorizons
4. Sneaky
5. Tf53
6. Shinobi - hasn't responded/may not play
7. woodchuck
8. Strikevillain - hasn't responded/may not play
9. NA
10. grkazan
11. chrisgoldstein
12. Loser of Tse/Astrolad
13. Winner of Tse/Astrolad
14. new person
15. new person
16. new person

I'll play.

woodchuck

attacking wise, usa is actually pretty good. the trouble is that their defense is way too slow compared to the best team's attackers

Daigoro

whoo! im #1 im #1!!!! :lol

ill probably pick Argentina, but im not sure yet. ill get back to everyone on that soon. i need all the help i can get!

*and hey! RBNY beating the Revs in the playoffs?! unpossible! i refuse to believe.

Not sure how closely correlated the rankings are to team abilities in FIFA09 (I've only played with/against maybe 15 of these teams), but here are the current FIFA rankings if people are pondering which team to pick:

1 Spain
2 Germany
3 Netherlands
4 Italy
5 Brazil
6 Argentina
7 Croatia
8 Russia
9 England
10 Portugal
11 Turkey
12 France
13 Czech Republic
14 Ukraine
15 Paraguay
16 Cameroon
17 USA
18 Israel
19 Greece
20 Romania
21 Uruguay
22 Switzerland
23 Mexico
24 Nigeria
25 Sweden

woodchuck said:
attacking wise, usa is actually pretty good. the trouble is that their defense is way too slow compared to the best team's attackers
Sounds like the Quakes, though they couldn't score at all. A slow back line is a killer for me, but maybe I'll go with them any way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Aren't they made up of entirely fake players that look nothing like the real ones, have completely different names, and only vaguely similar attributes? Don't play national teams too much but that's my recollection (PES has the license).

Oh yeah, I think you might be right. We played them once in FIFA Clubs and everyone was kinda confused by the player names. I thought they just inserted a bunch of random players into the lineup for kicks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If you're gonna do fake teams and players, you have to go the old Winning Eleven route where the players looked exactly like their real-life counterparts and had names like "Backham" and "Van Mistelboum." EA's IP counsel is apparently too cautious.

woodchuck

offline, i added real players to the Dutch national team because i'm anal like that. i dont know if i can use those players for an unranked online match. i need to test it out

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I reserved that 1% explicitly for such a situation!

How does it work though--like could I put freaking Ronaldo on RBNY and just bring him online or are there any restrictions?

Gathering some ideas here for my upcoming matches.

Top Bottom