• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 |OT|

rvy said:
Edit, actually, fuck that. FIFA's skill system is what's absurd. And what I'm saying is hardly counterfactual. The skill system is exploitable and the tricks themselves look like shit.
And we're both fanboys of the same games, so... what's your point? I enjoy PES 2011 about as much as you. Just like I enjoy WE9/WE10 as much as you.

Astro, say it isn't so! You better not be playing PES....TRAITOR!!!

(if you know he plays PES, then he is probably only teasing...simmer).

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
rvy said:
I would definitely disagree. FIFA's skill moves are crap. There's maybe 2 or 3 that are effective and neither of them look very real. EA would have to come up with something like ISS 3 for the skill moves to look anywhere near real, but it couldn't be with focus on 2 plays only.
Messi can bring down defenses alone, as an example. As it is, FIFA's skill moves are exploitable crap that makes no sense.

against the CPU most are fairly useless. But that's because the computer cheats. Against humans any of em can be effective because of a variety of defensive issues. It takes time to learn what move requires what amount of space to exploit these defensive flaws. But it's usually just easier to just move out the damn way. So I see the entire system as a whole as a non issue. Now if we want to talk about Defense...I can go on all day.

Sol.. said:
against the CPU most are fairly useless. But that's because the computer cheats. Against humans any of em can be effective because of a variety of defensive issues. It takes time to learn what move requires what amount of space to exploit these defensive flaws. But it's usually just easier to just move out the damn way. So I see the entire system as a whole as a non issue. Now if we want to talk about Defense...I can go on all day.

Other than stupid AI I don't have much of a problem. Skill moves are easy to defend against if you just jockey. Fuck, jockey run may be the most important thing in the game.

rvy

Banned
Sol.. said:
Well, I am mostly a CPU player, so my issues with it are probably bigger because of that.

Anyway, what FIFA fails to capture in the skills and dribbling department is that real players adapt to new contexts on the pitch. A defender isn't going to approach a player who's running down the wing in the same manner that he approaches a player who's standing with the ball and baiting him in order to get past him. That doesn't really work in FIFA, most times I stop the ball and try to do a skill move with a defender in front of me, he always either: a) gets the ball or b) the players get tangled up and both fall down.
There's no way in hell you can nutmeg one of these guys like Ronaldinho or Messi do. It happens from time to time, but it looks like an accident and not deliberate.

rvy said:
Well, I am mostly a CPU player, so my issues with it are probably bigger because of that.

Anyway, what FIFA fails to capture in the skills and dribbling department is that real players adapt to new contexts on the pitch. A defender isn't going to approach a player who's running down the wing in the same manner that he approaches a player who's standing with the ball and baiting him in order to get past him. That doesn't really work in FIFA, most times I stop the ball and try to do a skill move with a defender in front of me, he always either: a) gets the ball or b) the players get tangled up and both fall down.There's no way in hell you can nutmeg one of these guys like Ronaldinho or Messi do. It happens from time to time, but it looks like an accident and not deliberate.

That is my biggest gripe with the defending. You can't slow down the play because of the pressing mechanics.

Blackhead

Redarse
Sol.. said:
it might be harder to do the trick but it sure looks cooler. So, em, which skills are the best to embarrass friends and what's the best guide to learn from?

Charred Greyface said:
it might be harder to do the trick but it sure looks cooler. So, em, which skills are the best to embarrass friends and what's the best guide to learn from?

I learned from watching some of Hjerpseth's videos, including a few skill tutorial videos from FIFA 10 and FIFA 11. Then I practiced them in arena mode and practice mode, and then tuned them against friends and during Club play. Just ask Ramen United how annoying I could be with failed moves. :)

Hi FIFA-GAF. I'm a noob and I'm fairly confused about how to play defense.

Let's say I'm controlling a forward (they're called that, right?) on the attack and I lose the ball to a defender. My natural instinct is to then get back on defense. But it seems to me like when I do this I'm cheesing, as if I'm taking the guy way the fuck out of position. Is this accurate? Why don't forwards and the middle guys (sorry) fall back on defense (i.e., all the way back) like they would in basketball or hockey?

Put another way: is it okay to drop a forward all the way back on D, or is it cheese? And if it is cheese, what's the reasoning there?

Hope I'm being clear.

Generally a forward won't play D beyond the halfway line. But, you don't want him to drop back on D too far because then he will be out of position when you get the ball back. It will be much more effective if you switch players to a midfield or defender to play D.

Yeah that makes perfect sense, obviously. I suppose it was confusing because I wasn't seeing any ill effects. My defense was performing well and offense still flowed pretty naturally. Hm. Thank you.

sneaky77

NEOPARADIGM said:
Yeah that makes perfect sense, obviously. I suppose it was confusing because I wasn't seeing any ill effects. My defense was performing well and offense still flowed pretty naturally. Hm. Thank you.

yeah.. that's one of the issues when playing online, someone can have 9 players on their own box, but still have 5-6 players go in offense every play all game long.. way unbalanced in that aspect

I really really really need help playing this game on World Class and up difficulty, and to be honest even pro mode while to easy for me at this point shares some of the problems Im having but to a lesser to degree. I'd honestly just stay at pro mode and have fun rather then torture myself with WC mode but I want my Virtual player to gain stats.
(I dont have any of these problems online, virtual player matches, or local versus)

Im even gonna be honest about something that to be shows how glaringly fucked up (cheats) the computer is.
I play my carrer in the MLS, I have boosted my whole teams stats to what I think they should be so to say, in a league dominated by 2 1/2 stars and 3 teams as 3 stars my team is a 3 1/2. My lowest defender is 70'ish while my highest forward is an 83, all my other players range from 70-83...and this is in a league dominated with 60-70's and sometimes worse, so honestly my team should be GODLY but wouldnt you know it this type of shit happens...

Ok first and foremost, the computer is brutal and never gets any calls against them. No matter if my back is to them or I am on a run they can slide and/or stand tackle the crap out of me over and over again while never getting a call. No matter the angle or the speed Im moving my players are consistanly getting tossed around like dolls, Ive seen defenders run up to my players and check them 20 yards away while the ball isnt even touched and no foul is called. I go to take a shot and my legs are swiped out consistanly. Its as if every computer player is a master of clean tackles at any angle no matter there rating no matter the position. Dont get me started on skill moves, all that means for me is a way for the computer to toss my player 10 yards.

I dont even use the slide tackle due to the fact it hardly ever works, eithier a shitty MLS player will hurdle it or I will get a foul called on me. To top it off even if you poke the ball out or actually tackle the guy he might just stumble a bit and regain the ball or he will be back on his feet and get it back before your players come even close to taking it...but god forbid the computer breathes on you to hard, your player will go down, the ball will oddly always roll to an opponent and youll take 5 seconds to even get back up, all while the computer is doing leaps over tackles and snapping to its feet in .00003 seconds. While this is happening to me and Im getting 10+ fouls called against me a game the computer is getting 1-2 all while its playing AGGRESSIVE HIGH PRESSURE defense. Sure watching the replays many of the computers tackles look to be slightly clean, but the fact that even a rated 60 player can perform 20 perfect fouless tackles a game is insane...shouldnt his reduced skill make him prone to not being a tackling master? How can I have possesion of the ball 70% of the game and draw 99% of the fouls?? AND THATS WITH 0 SLIDE TACKLES!
dont even get me started on handballs in the box vs. the computer...on average Ill see 1 per game and my high for my going season at the moment is 5 in one game! Its like my defenders are brain damaged in WC mode and are constantly smacking the shit out of the blass as soon as it enters the box. Guess how many penalty kicks I have 28 games into my season due to penaties in the box...3...frigging 3...how may have I given up, upwards of 20+...

Every ball that is poked out, headed away, lobbed, tackled away...they all go directly to the computer. Its as if every angle that the game calculates the ball will travel after being struck/poked away just happens to be where another computer player is standing. Its as if the game is giving them every advantage at at every angle to keep possesion or gain it.

Every computer player seems to also be on god mode no matter theyre 50-60 rating. Bullshit bench warming strikers pulling off every trick in the book, every computer attacker a master of ball control and hurdling every tackle, every defender no matter the skill or speed level able to make clean perfect tackles, win every 50-50, keep perfect pace with higher speed forwards while usually running hem down no matter the distance.

The lack of aggression and jumping on the ball of my computer controlled team mates to is a laugh. They routinely dont go for balls inches from them, they routinely dont attempt to jump on 50-50's, to sum it up they have little to no aggression compared to the computer. They will allow the computer to constantly walk right up to my 18 while keeping a distance and in no way putting pressure on them. Its as if I dont hold the circle button down then they will sit back and let the computer lose it on theyre own or let the computer make a cross or shot unless me (not even the captain) tell them to D the fuck up. I watch the computer defense on my every players hip while Im in my attacking 1/3 but when we get into there attacking 1/3 my players regualry give them buffer zones and wide lanes for through balls. Dont even get me started on my backs who routinely think its a good idea to repeatedly do skill moves for no reason in the mid field till they lose the ball.

All in all in my opinion what I think it comes down to is the computer, while being even lower rated, can out run, out tackle, out dribble, out control, my players ranked 10-30 rating points higher. Its as if the jump to WC mode instantly makes a 58 rated forward from Chivas US have dribbling skills like Messi and his 60 rated CB teammate able to dominate as if he should be on Real Madrids starting 11. I can be 10 yards ahead of a defender using knocks to try to gain space and yet this defender will be at my 90 speed/Acc forwards hip by my second knock, even through balls are laughable because most defenders will just out run on meet my player as he reaches the ball and toss him aside.

Guess what Im trying to say is WC mode is actually "Computer god mode super cheat gameplay". Ping pong highly accurate passing and tackling by god forsaken horrible MLS caliber players.
And while I can still win from time to time, its just not...fun. its a fucking joke to watch and I have to use cheap tactics to score, constantly hold circle to get any pressure on the attackers, and every 50-50, every ball in the air, every lose ball etc.. is geared into the computers favor. And Im stuck playing this way to ever increase my Virtual player or not dominate the computer 5-0 in pro mode...theres just no comfortable in-between from pro-mode to WC, its to easy on pro and a fucking joke on WC.

(some real help/insight would be great, please save your "you suck" "play more noob" "Learn2play" for someone else please, in my search many many many players have the same issue I have, while not impossible to win its just a big fucking joke of the computer boosting and given advantages to its controlled team, rather then playing slightly better its pitiful to watch/play for any chance of fun and/or look like/play real football)

Menelaus said:
Congrats, you found out why WC single player sucks.

Lol so what do I do? I hear people laugh at people like me and say we suck, so supposedly Im guessing theres a way Im playing and many others that is wrong?

What do I do? I wanna play a challenging, but not unfair, season plus I want to evolve my virtual pro..

wat do?

Hey guys, I need help.

My favorite part of FIFA is the manager mode, in which I usually start with some crappy nPower League 2 team and try to work my way up to the Premier League over the course of 5 seasons or so. I did this on FIFA 09 and had an absolute blast, but sat out on FIFA 10. After finishing my first season of FIFA 11 I still feel like I haven't really "got it" yet. I'm playing in World Class, same as 09, and I'm having insane amounts of trouble on offense. In an attempt to combat this I changed my formation to a 3-4-3 and messed with some of the tactics and settings. Despite the changes I still feel like scoring is incredibly difficult, much harder than it was in 09. It just seems like the defense becomes unbeatable once you make it to the back line.

Does anyone have any tips for succeeding as a crappy (1-2 star) team in manager mode? I just got fired after managing Bury for my first year and I don't want to lose my new gig with Southend United.

Namius

The_Darkest_Red said:
Hey guys, I need help.

My favorite part of FIFA is the manager mode, in which I usually start with some crappy nPower League 2 team and try to work my way up to the Premier League over the course of 5 seasons or so. I did this on FIFA 09 and had an absolute blast, but sat out on FIFA 10. After finishing my first season of FIFA 11 I still feel like I haven't really "got it" yet. I'm playing in World Class, same as 09, and I'm having insane amounts of trouble on offense. In an attempt to combat this I changed my formation to a 3-4-3 and messed with some of the tactics and settings. Despite the changes I still feel like scoring is incredibly difficult, much harder than it was in 09. It just seems like the defense becomes unbeatable once you make it to the back line.

Does anyone have any tips for succeeding as a crappy (1-2 star) team in manager mode? I just got fired after managing Bury for my first year and I don't want to lose my new gig with Southend United.

You might already be trying this but...

The pick and roll move seems to be very effective against computers even set on Legendary. Get the ball to your forwards, Hold L1 or LB and pass it to a nearby teammate, it'll trigger the passer to make a run to which you can try a lobbed or grounded through ball to him for a possible open chance on goal.

Hope it helps! Good luck!

Namius said:

The pick and roll move seems to be very effective against computers even set on Legendary. Get the ball to your forwards, Hold L1 or LB and pass it to a nearby teammate, it'll trigger the passer to make a run to which you can try a lobbed or grounded through ball to him for a possible open chance on goal.

I haven't tried that, actually. It sounds very useful, thanks a lot!

I'll try to play some tonight and let you know if it helped me at all.

The issue I ultimately ran into with Manager Mode this time around is that they didn't give me much more money when I got promoted. Between that and the very slow player advancement, it's very difficult after you get promoted a couple of times. It wasn't much fun after a while.

sneaky77

Namius said:

If you can't beat it. Cheese it.

Cornballer said:
The issue I ultimately ran into with Manager Mode this time around is that they didn't give me much more money when I got promoted. Between that and the very slow player advancement, it's very difficult after you get promoted a couple of times. It wasn't much fun after a while.

And there is no scouting system. And simming is a pain. And the menus suck. And...

Cornballer said:
Yup. I just play FM11 now.

When I'm feeling like sticking the middle finger up at the world I'll play H2H and spend the entire time raging as Real Madrid exploits the shit out of the crappy AI defenders. So much hate is derived from this game. And I can't stop playing it. And I can't wait for FIFA 12. What is wrong with me?

sneaky77

Awesome Animals said:
When I'm feeling like sticking the middle finger up at the world I'll play H2H and spend the entire time raging as Real Madrid exploits the shit out of the crappy AI defenders. So much hate is derived from this game. And I can't stop playing it. And I can't wait for FIFA 12. What is wrong with me?

Well a lot of things obviously,.,.. lol. I've been done with 11 for a while but I am looking forward to 12 as always, and hope for improvements lol

Well I played for about 4 hours yesterday and made some moderate progress, although I don't think I'll ever be as good as I was in 09. The reason I don't lower the difficulty is because I enjoy the challenge, and I don't think there's any reason why I shouldn't be able to eventually succeed on the 3rd of 4 difficulties, especially considering my experience with the franchise. I also don't have much of an issue on defense so it's not like I'm getting blown out, I'm just experiencing lots of 0-0, 1-0, and 1-1 type scoring games. I was able to win one 3-0 though, and that one felt pretty good.

Also, about 90% of my goals come from headers.

sun-drop

for people having trouble ... try to use the whole pitch .... when the ball is at yr CAM's feet, hold the run through button and do a strong lofted through ball to your side line hugging winger. make space . beat the defender and you're set to have all the time in the world to time you're cross.

basically if you're not creative and only looking one pass ahead the whole game .. fifa will shut you down. like it should.

it's not hard at all to score at WC level

sun-drop said:
for people having trouble ... try to use the whole pitch .... when the ball is at yr CAM's feet, hold the run through button and do a strong lofted through ball to your side line hugging winger. make space . beat the defender and you're set to have all the time in the world to time you're cross.

basically if you're not creative and only looking one pass ahead the whole game .. fifa will shut you down. like it should.

it's not hard at all to score at WC level
I don't have much of an issue creating crossing opportunities from the wings but I honestly cannot find a good way to work the ball around the top of the box for some shots. You say it's not hard to score in WC but have you spent much time playing as any nPower League 2 teams (or any 1-1.5 star teams)? I honestly think that makes the game much harder, especially since the defensive AI doesn't make many mistakes, regardless of their team's star rating.

sixghost

The_Darkest_Red said:
I don't have much of an issue creating crossing opportunities from the wings but I honestly cannot find a good way to work the ball around the top of the box for some shots. You say it's not hard to score in WC but have you spent much time playing as any nPower League 2 teams (or any 1-1.5 star teams)? I honestly think that makes the game much harder, especially since the defensive AI doesn't make many mistakes, regardless of their team's star rating.
I don't remember if this was the case in '09, but I find it extremely difficult to score when play slows down inside the 18. Your AI teammates just aren't smart enough to make dangerous runs, and just sort of stand there, waiting for the ball to be passed to them.

Once your in or around the 18 your only real options are to play to ball to either touch line and cross the ball(honest I score 60% of my goals in 11 off crosses) or just go 1v1 and try to get enough space for a shot.

If you're playing with MLS or league 2 teams, this is probably a much bigger problem, since players are probably less capable of scoring from distance or beating a man 1v1.

So I'd mostly work on beating players 1v1. You really don't even need to get into the skill moves either. The stepover or feight are two of the more consistent moves, and their probably the easiest to do as well. Most of the time I beat players using the pace control dribble(hold L trigger) or the L+R trigger dribble, or just use the analog stick to poke it by the defender.

Also, I'd suggest playing around with your tactics in the formation menu. I like to set my fullbacks to play further up the field when I'm on possession. It's helpful to add an addition man on offense, and they're unusually intelligent in their runs down the sideline.

Anyone else finding the EA Server's complete shit these days? Had a few games literally freeze and me and my opponent talked for a bit, then one of us had to leave (him, I would outwait anyone)

dc89

I loaned Josh King from United. He's awesome for any Championsip team. In loaned him for a season, 4 months into the loan he just fucks off. No email to explain where he's gone or why.

brentech

Saren is Bad said:
Anyone else finding the EA Server's complete shit these days? Had a few games literally freeze and me and my opponent talked for a bit, then one of us had to leave (him, I would outwait anyone)
Hrm, I came in here to see if anyone mentioned this, but my problem is even in career mode. Shit just locks up for while.

Used to happen like once a game. Now it's happening more often, and for longer periods. Might unplug the 360 network wire and see if it continues.

I already tried uninstalling game and re-installing the hard drive but it made no difference. Cleaned the disc and all that. Annoying as all hell.

Kozak

Banned
Judderman said:
I know this seems like a silly question, but is it "too late" to buy this game? Should I just wait for FIFA 12?

wait.

Should be around in a few months.

Its a great game though if you can grab it for cheap than I would suggest it.

brentech

As it turns out, the servers acting up was the issue with my offline manager mode. Unplugged cable and didn't have any of the in-game freeze ups. Lame.

omgkitty

I'd say the easiest way to get good at FIFA's different difficulty modes is just to play the game. Obviously the problem with playing with lower league teams is that they're not very good, and their stats aren't helping you any. It's much harder to succeed with a low level team on higher difficulties. I would say start out playing with a good team until you start winning more and then switch to a lower league. I have played FIFA constantly since FIFA 06, and it's taken me that long to move up to where I am now. Of course, the difficulties of the games depend on the way it plays. But yeah if you think World Class is hard, play on Legendary. The CPU is pretty much flawless there. I'd have to say if you can get good on WC, it's about as close to real football you can get in this game.

But as far as tactics go, I would say try changing up your formation to fit your playing style or buy players who work for you. If you're going to cross all day, you obviously want to have one or two tall players with good heading accuracy in the box. I have noticed how well I play depends on what formation I am using and who's where. Like I am used to using Arsenal in a 4-2-3-1. I like to use my speed on the wings, and taking long shots from the middle. But if I play with another team using a 4-4-2, I have to change the way I play accordingly, especially looking at the strengths of my players. If you try to play a slow outside mid like he's Theo Walcott and he has a sprint speed of 68 you're not going to succeed. Play with different teams and figure out what you are trying to do in the game and work with it accordingly. It can make all the difference in the world.

Judderman said:
I know this seems like a silly question, but is it "too late" to buy this game? Should I just wait for FIFA 12?
Bought it a week ago . I don't regret it , as it was a reason to get back to online console gaming with my club buddies .

rvy

Banned
Bought it Saturday. It's great and all, but I still can't get the passing system down. I'm using mostly everything on semi.
Weird as hell btw, but the game uses a lot of old animations when I'm playing on my SDTV and then they almost completely disappear when I change to my HDTV. Funny.

K1LLER7

Hi-Gaf
Do you guys play online with fellow gaffers or random people? playing online with randoms gets frustrating when they quit during matches.

sneaky77

K1LLER7 said:
Hi-Gaf
Do you guys play online with fellow gaffers or random people? playing online with randoms gets frustrating when they quit during matches.

We had a few leagues for the 360 when the game first came out, thats long over, just waiting for fifa 12 at this time

elsk

Banned
rvy said:
Bought it Saturday. It's great and all, but I still can't get the passing system down. I'm using mostly everything on semi.
Weird as hell btw, but the game uses a lot of old animations when I'm playing on my SDTV and then they almost completely disappear when I change to my HDTV. Funny.

The game is very different when you play it on a SDTV. I think it even slows down.

PaulLFC

I've heard some of the EA team say there's no scripting in FIFA, and while there might not be it certainly doesn't feel like it at times.

Plenty of times I've had a midfielder in miles of space, my winger making a perfect run, so I play a lobbed through ball, which sometimes works as it should - pressure, positioning etc shouldn't be affecting the pass because my midfielder has all the time in the world to pick the pass out.

But a lot of the time, whether it's defenders magically catching up 10 yards in about a quarter of a second, the ball going out of play when the pass is played perfectly in much more difficult situations, or even my winger stopping running when clean through for no apparent reason, allowing the defender to get to the ball first. It just feels as if the game is going "well this would mean the winger would be through with lots of space and time to create a chance, better do something to stop it".

Top Bottom