• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 11 |OT|

Tf53

sneaky77 said:
I dont think the ranked matches should punish you so much for losing 2-1 with a 4 star team to a 5 star team, specially if u dominate the match.. but.. oh well.
Right now, it's balanced so that there's little point to pick a 4,5 star team like Sevilla. I'm playing with Dinamo Moscow currently, and with a 3,5 star team, I get like a 4-6 point bonus against top tier teams. It's ridiculous.

Edit: What the fuck? I played 0-0 against Real Madrid with Dinamo Moscow (3,5*) and got a whopping... 0 points. Apparently FIFA is saying that Real are exactly as good as a 3,5* team (fellow Barca fans have known this all along, though ;)).

Tf53

Just had an amazing
ly painful
game. Dinamo Moscow vs. Liverpool. Went up 3-0 and then 4-1, fell down 6-4 and finally lost 6-5. At first it seemed like everything I did worked and the next thing I know, I'm getting pummelled by lucky (and a couple of very skilled, too) goals. The worst thing was that when I managed to get the guy to rematch, my Xbox froze.

LProtag

I've mostly just been working on getting my virtual pro up to speed. He's a decent attacking midfielder right now (playmaker style), but only around the high 70's. For some reason I find that only playing one player on the pitch is quite fun. I need to work on my full team game though, my friends completely destroy me.

InsertNameHere said:
I've mostly just been working on getting my virtual pro up to speed. He's a decent attacking midfielder right now (playmaker style), but only around the high 70's. For some reason I find that only playing one player on the pitch is quite fun. I need to work on my full team game though, my friends completely destroy me.
If you are on x360 check out the club thread for ramen united. I'd link but I'm on my phone. Always lookIng for more

Ataturk

I'm sure it's been asked before but is there any way to save lineups and formations for online matches? Really annoys me having to tinker before every match.

sneaky77

Ataturk said:
I'm sure it's been asked before but is there any way to save lineups and formations for online matches? Really annoys me having to tinker before every match.

To be already set as default for a team, no..

sneaky77

LabouredSubterfuge said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/290230/interviews/fifa-12-its-a-huge-challenge/

Interesting interview.

I've stopped playing FIFA 11 due to balancing problems and mechanical inconsistencies.

He mentions at the end of the interview that they've considered removing the pressing button altogether. I think that this would go a long way to improving the game if done correctly.

i think the pressing button is necessary right now in order to be able to counter act the unbalance of playing 5 star teams with lower rated teams... the fact that the ping pong passing and lobbed through balls are so prominent..

LabouredSubterfuge said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/290230/interviews/fifa-12-its-a-huge-challenge/

Interesting interview.

I've stopped playing FIFA 11 due to balancing problems and mechanical inconsistencies.

He mentions at the end of the interview that they've considered removing the pressing button altogether. I think that this would go a long way to improving the game if done correctly.
They would need to make much More intelligent ai. I hate watching an ai player not go after the ball when he could maintain possession for my team

sneaky77

The interview is ok.. but all that, we cannot go as far as possible is bs.. there is nothing stopping them from making pro and up difficulty more sim like.. or ranked online.. is ranked for a reason, it should reward skill not just picking Real Madrid and passing to Ronaldo every play.

For arcade, less demanding gameplay, amateur, semi-pro is there.

sneaky77 said:
The interview is ok.. but all that, we cannot go as far as possible is bs.. there is nothing stopping them from making pro and up difficulty more sim like.. or ranked online.. is ranked for a reason, it should reward skill not just picking Real Madrid and passing to Ronaldo every play.

For arcade, less demanding gameplay, amateur, semi-pro is there.
Nailed it. The game can be slowed down and Patience and build up rewarded

LProtag

Awesome Animals said:
If you are on x360 check out the club thread for ramen united. I'd link but I'm on my phone. Always lookIng for more

Ah, PS3, sorry. Thanks for the invite though! Also, my school internet connection always craps out on me during matches for some reason. I've played a few random virtual pro games online, I felt like I was the only player who didn't try to make a shot on his own and actually made assists. Would be nice to play with a more organized team, but yeah, PS3.

sneaky77

so aparently all the sudden I forgot to play this game.. I can't even score wide open headers they go over the bar.. is not like I have chance my style but passes don't go where I aim, I can't finish.. my midfield does whatever it wants... seriously fuck this shit,.

Maverick

I've stopped playing Fifa online. I find it much more enjoyable to play offline, where I can play at my own pace and actually be creative instead of mashing the pressure button and trying to float aerial balls over the top of the defense.

The last online game I played I beat Barca 1-0 with Villareal, but it was such a stale game that I didn't have any fun.

Have any of you guys played Fifa World Cup 2010? It was the most balanced, tightest controlling Fifa ever. The goals, even when playing online, were much more unpredictable and creative. I miss that game....

sun-drop

i'm playing my best fifa11 in mths at the mo ..don't know what it is but after being average in the office lunch break turny i've suddenly clicked on and off line.

i think fifa 11 has prob the best set of vaild and entertaining online modes in any sports game ever.

i mean the standard head to head.

the be a pro team/club play

the ps3 fifa interactive world cup mode

and of course ultimate team ... possibly the best online mode of any sports game ever? ... totally amazes me how game commentators fail to see the significance of this mode ... i mean it must make EA millions.. so addictive, yes has mirco payments but you can earn yr way up as well. if you don't have the time to invest you can use real world money rather than earn it through wins. and the recent patch did a lot of things i wanted in terms of being able to match yr squads up against yr mates.

sun-drop

Awesome Animals said:
The game isn't balanced. That is all there is too it.

i don't get this .... me and 8 of my work mates have been playing games during our beaks at work almost every day since it came out. and it's balanced as can be.

there's not much between us, one or two goals difference accross the 8 of us ..but our various rankings don't flip flop around randomly. the top guy has won most of the turnys but it's a freaking battle every time.

and we've taken to making finishing rankings in turnys dictate what ranking team you get next time ... ie best takes worst ... and it's still tight as ..

i think thats as good a measure of balance as there is.

formation and tactics have a larger effect on results than yr team star rating .. fact.

SumGamer

Anybody having problem with Online Pass?
i'm trying to go online and prompt to redeem Online Pass which I did on the first day. WTH?
FIFA 11 PS3 Asia.

sun-drop said:
i don't get this .... me and 8 of my work mates have been playing games during our beaks at work almost every day since it came out. and it's balanced as can be.

there's not much between us, one or two goals difference accross the 8 of us ..but our various rankings don't flip flop around randomly. the top guy has won most of the turnys but it's a freaking battle every time.

and we've taken to making finishing rankings in turnys dictate what ranking team you get next time ... ie best takes worst ... and it's still tight as ..

i think thats as good a measure of balance as there is.

formation and tactics have a larger effect on results than yr team star rating .. fact.

Accept you are playing each other, am I right? We're talking about Online Ranked H2H. When I play anyone on NeoGAF, balance isn't an issue. It is a different game completely... Fact.

Tf53

It feels like I'm playing against not only other people online, but also the game. Just had a game against Chelsea where it didn't matter whether I guessed exactly what the other guy was trying to do. Even if I moved into the passing lane, his passing assist made sure that I didn't cut the pass. If I tried to block his cutbacks, he'd just push my guy aside and get a shot in.

I think I'll make a list of teams that I won't play against. Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, any others?

Tf53 said:
It feels like I'm playing against not only other people online, but also the game. Just had a game against Chelsea where it didn't matter whether I guessed exactly what the other guy was trying to do. Even if I moved into the passing lane, his passing assist made sure that I didn't cut the pass. If I tried to block his cutbacks, he'd just push my guy aside and get a shot in.

I think I'll make a list of teams that I won't play against. Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, any others?
I tried that by then you rarely get a game in. And that is it. Sometimes I feel city is like that but not always

Tf53

Awesome Animals said:
I tried that by then you rarely get a game in. And that is it. Sometimes I feel city is like that but not always
Just played a game against City where I got scored against in a manner that seemed very unfair. Richards had the ball on the flank, going towards the corner flag. I had two defenders on him, one blocking the cross and another one trailing Richards. I knew he was trying to stop and center, so I controlled the trailing defender and held LT to jockey while running and holding A. When Richards turned, the ball magically went through the legs of my guy and Richards just bumped through two guys, centered the ball, goal.

It feels like there's a top tier of teams that have completely different rules. Top strikers are near impossible to knock off the ball, top defenders are too fast to run by, Casillas will save anything not shot at an empty net.

This may sound like a rant, but I'm really disappointed in the possibilities available for people who don't want to cheese their way to victory with Chelsea or Real Madrid. It's so much sweeter to beat a top team with a 3,5 star team, but the unfairness is currently tilting the scales away from enjoyment a bit too much.

I'm actually considering joining the cheesers to be competitive (it's not like I can't hold my own gameplaywise, I have the majority of possession and more shots about 70% of the time), but I really don't want to do that.

El Tigre

Is any one able to lure top players to smaller clubs?

I've successfully been able to buy players, but they won't agree to a contract because they don't want to play in the Portuguese Liga.

DominoKid

3ur4zn said:
Maybe it's just because I'm shit, but does anyone else get frustrated at the physic, perfect defensive AI? Or how an attacking AI player will magically read my next move as soon as I hit the tackle button, and sidestep me in Ronaldo-esque fashion?

I'm sick of making incisive, one-two-three breaks and then watching as the AI unnaturally speeds up to make up 5 metres on Adam Johnson with relative ease, or how they ALWAYS get the cut-off angle just right? I play on professional, by the way. Sick off it. And I get the feeling any disputed balls goes 80/20 to the AI, especially headers and deflections, AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE MANNER IN WHICH THE AI INSTANTANEOUSLY RECOVERS FROM A TACKLE OR COLLISION WHILE I WANDER AROUND UNCONTROLLABLY DAZED FOR SEVERAL MOMENTS. ARGH.

/rant

Great game.

you play on professional?
try legendary and get back to me. i kick the game's ass w/ regularity but once in a while it still makes me want to chuck my controller.

anyway, did they fix any of the manager mode problems in the update? i've held out on starting my franchise for long enough.

sambo

Neo Member
Scored this one with Super Mario last night

http://www.ea.com/au/football/videos/ugc/69243644

mario-balotelli-manchester-city-2010.jpg

Kozak

Banned
El Tigre said:
Is any one able to lure top players to smaller clubs?

I've successfully been able to buy players, but they won't agree to a contract because they don't want to play in the Portuguese Liga.

Its near impossible...some players just seem to be cunts unless you give them an unreasonable upgrade on their wage.

They need to add a dynamic league reputation like they did in FM11 because I've won the league and cup and put in huge performances in Europe and yet I can't lure a 36 year old Kaka whos on the transfer list :S

Tf53

sneaky77 said:
You'll be back.. lol.. like all of us..
Nah, the wife has a habit of following Lent, and she fasts from one thing each year. This year I'm trying to support her by fasting from FIFA. I doubt I'll be back until the next version. There are so many other games to play that I think I can bide my time just fine.

But yeah, I'll be back to have all my hopes crushed by FIFA12.

sneaky77

Tf53 said:
Nah, the wife has a habit of following Lent, and she fasts from one thing each year. This year I'm trying to support her by fasting from FIFA. I doubt I'll be back until the next version. There are so many other games to play that I think I can bide my time just fine.

But yeah, I'll be back to have all my hopes crushed by FIFA12.

yeah thats what I meant lol

Meier

I'm having fun playing randoms with my Virtual Pro but the sheer number of people who refuse to cross the ball is infuriating... UGH.

El Tigre

Kozak said:
Its near impossible...some players just seem to be cunts unless you give them an unreasonable upgrade on their wage.

They need to add a dynamic league reputation like they did in FM11 because I've won the league and cup and put in huge performances in Europe and yet I can't lure a 36 year old Kaka whos on the transfer list :S

Even when I give players a significant raise they still decline.

I had to overpay Benfica to get Luiz just because I knew he would move within the same league. The only forward I was able to sign was Baloteli.

MMaRsu

After not playing this for two months or so, coming back to it and jumping right back into online, goddamn this game is shit.

I mean, players get the ball and they just walk it out.. players are so unresponsive too. BLERGH

MMaRsu

Nevermind the fact that if you get "Unable to join the game session. This session was created using an older roster" you basically have to restart your game.

What kind of fucking logic is that? This game is straight up garbage.

Messi

Wierd reason to post but what the hell. I was playing fifa today with my friends and for the first time ever I picked Real Madrid (generally I have a no real rule I stand by as a barca fan, but I said what the hell) my friends usually pick real or someone like them and I can beat them with little issue, exploiting weaknesses in my friends game (he always crosses the ball regardless of team, even with barca... the smallest team in europe. trying to get headers lol).

My friend picked Bayern, a respectable team. From the first moment of the match it was all me, all attack. It is stupid how over powered real are. Seriously ronaldo is fast but not that fast. He could not stop anything I tried. Someone who is half decent at fifa would tear people apart with real. I was shocked and suddenly I understood all the uproar about everyone picking real online.

60 mins in I made 3 subs and brought on Benzma, Kaka and Higuain. Think about that...on any other team these guys would be in the first team. its impossible to beat their strike force in fifa (we all know what barca did to them earlier this season in real life)

TLDR: Real are crazy over powered. Makes me kinda angry.

Messi said:
Wierd reason to post but what the hell. I was playing fifa today with my friends and for the first time ever I picked Real Madrid (generally I have a no real rule I stand by as a barca fan, but I said what the hell) my friends usually pick real or someone like them and I can beat them with little issue, exploiting weaknesses in my friends game (he always crosses the ball regardless of team, even with barca... the smallest team in europe. trying to get headers lol).

My friend picked Bayern, a respectable team. From the first moment of the match it was all me, all attack. It is stupid how over powered real are. Seriously ronaldo is fast but not that fast. He could not stop anything I tried. Someone who is half decent at fifa would tear people apart with real. I was shocked and suddenly I understood all the uproar about everyone picking real online.

60 mins in I made 3 subs and brought on Benzma, Kaka and Higuain. Think about that...on any other team these guys would be in the first team. its impossible to beat their strike force in fifa (we all know what barca did to them earlier this season in real life)

TLDR: Real are crazy over powered. Makes me kinda angry.

And it works! That is the frustrating part. I have seen Villa make some disgusting headers or he gets on his bike.

And as for Real, I'm glad you understand where some of us are coming from. I've gotten so bored of playing against them, that I will usually pick Barca, or the inverse of that derby, when someone is Barcelona.

sixghost

I've been waiting to post this question since before I was allowed to post on gaf. Does anyone know how to consistently do a real stepover? 90% of the time I just get the dinky feint step, which isn't nearly as good.

I've sorta had more success doing the up-to-right motion, then quickly starting doing up-to-left, and it seems to do the stepover more often then not, but it's incredibly annoying to do in the middle of a game.

You want to do multiple step overs? You want to do up roll to left/right and then start tapping up repeatedly. I think that is what you are talking about, let me know how it works. Or if you need me to expand.

sixghost

Awesome Animals said:
You want to do multiple step overs? You want to do up roll to left/right and then start tapping up repeatedly. I think that is what you are talking about, let me know how it works. Or if you need me to expand.
Yep, that works perfectly. Shocking that they can't even put the correct stick movement for the move in the menus.

sixghost said:
Yep, that works perfectly. Shocking that they can't even put the correct stick movement for the move in the menus.

Well, remember that the direction is relative to the direction your player is facing. And I think for the multiple stepovers, the technically correct way to do it is to start at the top, slide to left, slide back to top, slide to right, slide back to top, and repeat. But I discovered it is much easier to tap. I don't know if that is a glitch or proper though.

rvy

Banned
sun-drop said:
so ah ..any one seen Hjerpseth's latest effort ?

speechless ...

http://youtu.be/zkvX6gzgusI
One day these fellas will come up with a football game where the "incredible" goals will look like they came out of a real game, and not some exploitation of poor game mechanics.
That Ronaldo missile is amazing regardless.

sun-drop

coming to fifa's defense again but whats so aweful about the mechanics? i think the game does a awesome job at them. curling a shot in the top corner feels satisfying.

maybe if people stoppped picking barca every match .

but even then ..still think it takes some one with real skill to break open some games.

i had 3 games last night with some random dude ... 2-1 , 3-1, 1-2 in extra time to him .... but was awwwesome.

i think fiffa has a really good balance with it's skill moves ... they are hard to pull off, well the complicated ones ...but they are effective ..

rvy

Banned
sun-drop said:
coming to fifa's defense again but whats so aweful about the mechanics? i think the game does a awesome job at them. curling a shot in the top corner feels satisfying.

maybe if people stoppped picking barca every match .

but even then ..still think it takes some one with real skill to break open some games.

i had 3 games last night with some random dude ... 2-1 , 3-1, 1-2 in extra time to him .... but was awwwesome.

i think fiffa has a really good balance with it's skill moves ... they are hard to pull off, well the complicated ones ...but they are effective ..
I would definitely disagree. FIFA's skill moves are crap. There's maybe 2 or 3 that are effective and neither of them look very real. EA would have to come up with something like ISS 3 for the skill moves to look anywhere near real, but it couldn't be with focus on 2 plays only.
Messi can bring down defenses alone, as an example. As it is, FIFA's skill moves are exploitable crap that makes no sense.

rvy said:
I would definitely disagree. FIFA's skill moves are crap. There's maybe 2 or 3 that are effective and neither of them look very real. EA would have to come up with something like ISS 3 for the skill moves to look anywhere near real, but it couldn't be with focus on 2 plays only.
Messi can bring down defenses alone, as an example. As it is, FIFA's skill moves are exploitable crap that makes no sense.

I don't think they are as awful as you make them sound. I can use any one of them effectively in most situations. But, with that said, they can be very easy to exploit. My biggest problem is you can't stop on the wing, and set up with a skill move because of the pressing mechanics. That and the speed of the game make the use of skills moves unrealistic really. But, with that said, you really don't see many skill moves used in real matches except by a few players, at least other than the step over, I see that a lot.

rvy

Banned
AstroLad said:
another pes fanboy making absurd and counterfactual statements
Edit, actually, fuck that. FIFA's skill system is what's absurd. And what I'm saying is hardly counterfactual. The skill system is exploitable and the tricks themselves look like shit.
And we're both fanboys of the same games, so... what's your point? I enjoy PES 2011 about as much as you. Just like I enjoy WE9/WE10 as much as you.

Top Bottom