• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

adelante

Meus Renaissance said:
The contain button seems to be the only way to win the ball for me, although it leaves you open in the spaces you leave.
Yeah contain does a good job of tracking a dribbler's pace but more often than not your player is brought in too close and worse, he jockeys at a direction that's easy to get wrongfooted.

JWong

Banned
k0ji-wd said:
SERIOUS?! YEEEEESSSSSSSSS LONG DAN TIME!!!!!
I'm pretty certain. They had the whole photo session last year.

And I saw complaints about Whitecaps being star heads in the EA forums.

madmackem

The online seasons looks like it matches you to within a half a star as im sunderland four(dont know how) and got paired up with a napoli player who has a scary good strike force and some very very good midfielders. I won but it was a very hard game since sunderland are pretty much shit best players being larrson and bendtner.

lush

Just got my email regarding the free Fathead you get when preordering from Amazon. It's restricted to MLS?

Portland or Seattle I guess....

Keio

For a Finer World
I think the matching will improve, my impression is that it starts with a player in the same division with exactly same stars, then within 1/2 star, then 1 star...

This morning I played NUFC-Bayern and Ajax-ManU, so right now there's just not enough players to guarantee a close match. I still have the jury out until enough players are available before I start dissing the matchmaking.

Lost both games, of course, although beat the opposition in possession and shots. Just can't seem to score (maybe it's time to start abusing RB skill shot, but that seems to only work for players like Nani, Rooney, Gomez, Ribery (not that I'm bitter, but fuuuu if I'm covering a player and they squeeze a shot from behind the defender into the bottom corner, I do feel like "there was shit I could do to stop this goal")).

Keio

For a Finer World
odd_morsel said:
So those of you who are getting a handle on defending, what exactly are you doing? I just can't seem to defend, period.
For me it's all about positioning and that's it. Just trying to make sure you stay between the goal and the ball and if you see an opposing player making a run, trying to cover that by switching to the right defender. You have to trust the AI a lot more, but they make less mistakes than in FIFA 11.

It's much easier to get pulled out of position (or actually it now matters a lot more) if you just keep the pressure buttons (e.g. press with your own player and the closest AI) down. Bide your time: your opponent will make a mistake and concede possession.

It really feels a lot more like "real football" in the sense that the ball is won from an opposition mistake or by herding the forwards into a bad position.

edit: sorry for the double post

PaulLFC

If any of UK GAF want to get this and still haven't preordered it yet, the Special Edition is £34.99 on the Asda website, which seems to be the cheapest around so far. Just ordered yesterday, hopefully it turns up on Thursday, even if it does say delivered by Friday.

RooMHM

Keio said:
For me it's all about positioning and that's it. Just trying to make sure you stay between the goal and the ball and if you see an opposing player making a run, trying to cover that by switching to the right defender. You have to trust the AI a lot more, but they make less mistakes than in FIFA 11.

edit: sorry for the double post
I still wonder why they put the standing tackle this way. I mean it's about as efficient as doing nothing. There's no way to get the ball back by pressing the standing tackle/shirt pull button. And sliding tackles are really wierd, it often happens that you miss the ball magically. The AI cheats so much by reacting instantly to every input that it's not really fun to play (legendary).The amount of feints and dribbles that it does is game breaking and annihilates any fun. I'm quite disapointed by this AI.

MPW said:
ref screwing madrid! dat realism! :p gotta love the commentary!

http://www.youtube.com/user/KSIOlajidebt#p/u/1/wQJ9eHZWYRY
The only moment of screwing was the penalty against Madrid. I see no fouls in the other parts of the vid. This guy clearly never watched football.

adelante

odd_morsel said:
So those of you who are getting a handle on defending, what exactly are you doing? I just can't seem to defend, period.
Try relying on manual jockey (LT/L2) and sprint (RT/R2) for defensive positioning, but you'll need to learn when to use the two because just like in real life, each function exists for a specific purpose but has its own drawbacks. Manual jockey forces your player to face the dribbler, therefore it's effective in restricting passing options, especially when you're marking from a few metres away. Sprinting gives you pace, but if you're running alongside a dribbler and he does a quick stop and turn, you won't be able to recover quickly from your own momentum to catch up. So use that sparringly and in short bursts, especially when containing a ball handler outside the box.

Keio

For a Finer World
RooMHM said:
I still wonder why they put the standing tackle this way. I mean it's about as efficient as doing nothing. There's no way to get the ball back by pressing the standing tackle/shirt pull button. And sliding tackles are really wierd, it often happens that you miss the ball magically. The AI cheats so much by reacting instantly to every input that it's not really fun to play (legendary).The amount of feints and dribbles that it does is game breaking and annihilates any fun. I'm quite disapointed by this AI.
I only use the standing tackle as a last-ditch thing when I've failed to contain, and if I'm in a 50/50 situation e.g. both players chasing a through ball.

Haven't played against the AI, but online the sliding tackle is a pretty powerful thing if you are a bit ahead of your opponent. Last ditch as well, but as long as you can get your player to stop the ball with the legs/body, you'll usually come up the winner.

The only moment of screwing was the penalty against Madrid. I see no fouls in the other parts of the vid. This guy clearly never watched football.
After Mourinho RMA fans have developed a martyrdom complex. Maybe it's just that.

Kozak

Banned
RooMHM said:

Or he watches too much football :p

adelante

I REQUESTED FOR ADELANTE TO BE A COMMENTARY NAME (back when fifasoccerblog asked for requests) AND THEY INCLUDED IT~!! YEAAARGH

iNvid02

my pc version is now unlocked, if you dont wanna wait until 30th follow the steps i posted on the previous page.

0jmHS.png

PEa1n.jpg

CozMick

Banned
Anyone with an early copy know the stars for Stoke City?

I swear if they are still 3 stars I will cancel my pre order...

Alright T Minus - 10 hours until I can play. This is going to be a looooooong day.

But, I have received two e-mails from Amazon today. One, indicating the expected, $20 credit to my Amazon account, and the other, unexpected, being a free MLS Fathead! The real question now is to figure out which one is going to go best on the blank wall in my living room. :p This is going to be fun.

A through ball to my striker missed as the keeper ran out to get the ball, but the defender also tried to slide tackle to stop the striker shooting. He never touched him, and all three came together as the keeper caught the ball.

Penalty!

CPCunha

PC FIFA players unite!

Lets follow the lead of Mr. Cola !!

...got the pre-order and yet, the game is not available...fuck Origin.
<=0(

Khanage

iNvidious01 said:
my pc version is now unlocked, if you dont wanna wait until 30th follow the steps i posted on the previous page.

0jmHS.png

PEa1n.jpg

Origin isn't even giving me the option to predownload it... What am I doing wrong?

iNvid02

Khanage said:
Origin isn't even giving me the option to predownload it... What am I doing wrong?

1. change your ea profile country to US (google "ea profile" and its "update info" at the top - pick US)
2. restart origin and the download option appears, download and install
3. fire up your vpn service (lot of free ones about, just using hostizzle and openvpn)
4. click play game, wait for the release date check to complete and off you go

Khanage

iNvidious01 said:
1. change your ea profile country to US (google "ea profile" and its "update info" at the top - pick US)
2. restart origin and the download option appears, download and install
3. fire up your vpn service (lot of free ones about, just using hostizzle and openvpn)
4. click play game, wait for the release date check to complete and off you go

I've done all that and still no luck. :(

iNvid02

make sure you picked United States at the top of the list, and not the outlying islands

double check that your profile does show US as your country (ea profile page)

restart pc just to be sure

Menelaus

Banned
Awesome Animals said:
Alright T Minus - 10 hours until I can play. This is going to be a looooooong day.

But, I have received two e-mails from Amazon today. One, indicating the expected, $20 credit to my Amazon account, and the other, unexpected, being a free MLS Fathead! The real question now is to figure out which one is going to go best on the blank wall in my living room. :p This is going to be fun.
Keep in mind they are only 12''x12''...pretty tiny

Menelaus said:
Keep in mind they are only 12''x12''...pretty tiny

Oh, not the full sized ones? Lame!! I still don't know who to get.

Turns out, I can only pick a badge...Time to decide on a team to follow...Pacific Northwest; Timbers, Sounders or Whitecaps?

Gibbo

got both the ps3 and 360 version today. Not sure why people are whining about tactical defending really- it doesn't feel all that different.

Btw, wtf happened to the crossing in this game? I press up + long ball but my ball keeps going out of the field. Did they change the crossing as well?

omgkitty

Gibbo said:
got both the ps3 and 360 version today. Not sure why people are whining about tactical defending really- it doesn't feel all that different.

I agree. It's much easier to contain players in front of the box now. I have a friend I play with a lot and he always spread the AI wide in 11 only to have two attackers sitting wide open right down the middle in front of goal, and he can't do that any more. It made me so mad because I like to counterattack quickly, and I would always get burned when losing the ball, but now unless I get pulled too far up, it's much easier to keep the defending tight without leaving giant gaps in front of goal.

Khanage

I was completely content to wait till the 30th for the UK release, but now I know I could be playing this today... that changes everything. I want it now! Damn me and my weak sauce hacking skills.

Menelaus said:
I have it shipped to my office for precisely this reason...they stop here in the mornings around 10.

Yea, as of 7:30 a.m. my game was at the depot that delivers to my office. I would have it right now if I had it delivered here!!!

Qatar

Waiting for the delivery of Fifa 12, which should arrive at any moment.
Can't Wait to get my hands on Career and online modes.

trending on twitter ... Yay !

Tijnisch

Neo Member
When I try looking for players in UT I can only get to the first few pages.
It'll say I'm at page 5 of 5, but I'm 100% sure there are so many more pages.
However, I can't click the next page arrow...

A screenshot of the problem: http://i.imgur.com/T1ZvC.png

Does anybody know what causes this or how to fix it?

Does the retail PC version require Origin? Not that I foresee it being a dealbreaker considering I'm also getting it primarily for PS3 and I'll likely end up getting BF3, but more a point of curiousity.

Hieberrr

Im picking the game up in a few hours on my break between classes! Although, I won't be home until 6ish to play it.. but, but, buuuut :D Today is the day that I can has it!
3AQmK.gif

Top Bottom