• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

ElyrionX

I had a situation where my shot rebounded off the post straight into the path of a teammate with an open goal in front of him. It all happened really fast so I couldn't react to switch to control that player in time. What did the AI choose to do for me?

Why, it made my teammate JUMP over the ball, of course! Perfectly logical response!

Prophane33

So, this is a game of many firsts for me. This is my first New (as in buy when it's actually modern) PC game since Battlefield 1942, because for the first time in 6 years I've got a gaming quality PC. Also, this is also my first time choosing FIFA over Winning Eleven/PES (I just had to have the Mexican teams this year, also the demo was freaking great). This is also the first time I've ever really liked FIFA game so much, I dare say this may be the best footie sim I've played since WE9. This game is simply FANTASTIC! Lastly, I've also been playing online for the first time ever too (not a big online gamer), and it's also not bad either. I usually ignore the multi-player aspect of Fifa/Pes outside of local games, and I haven't experienced any lag or anything like that. Origin name is Prophane33 would love to play people form here (warning: I suck!).

Fry

JLG- said:
Are the servers down for everyone or is it just me?

Everyone.

Re3Oc.png

kaizoku said:
This game is utterly infuriating and makes no sense. The way your team behaves like a schizo is just bullshit. And don't tell me it's my imagination or something, those sliders are proof that every little setting in the game can be tuned and adjusted and I swear to God sometimes it feels like your team's settings have been hampered or screwed up. Whether on purpose or by accident or they're trying to reflect morale or concentration or whatever.

I'm fed up of it, just want a fair game where skill is what matters. Instead I've gotta deal with all kinds of crap, guys pressing back so the AI defends for them, my guys falling asleep at seemingly scripted moments (half time, end of the game and after scoring). Controls not responding properly. I play the game for hundreds and hundreds of hours, I know how the game feels so I know when it feels wrong.

Having every loose ball go to the opposition, I just had a game where I counted how many times in a row the opposition got the rebound from a tackle and it was 8. I made 8 tackles in a row and the ball would fly off in ridiculously convenient angles and speeds to go right to one of their guys.

Players standing still or hesitating to run or running the wrong way for a split second to allow the through ball to go through. AI attackers deliberately moving away from a good spot so you can't pass to them. Not letting me choose the right player. One time the ball was 1 yard away from the line with an open goal and my AI player was like 1 step away. I just had to select him and score but it wouldn't let me select him so they cleared it.

I was just one win away from promotion and I lost 4 games in a row. I never lose 4 games in a row. Each one felt like I was cheated. Dominated possession and the game would conspire to give away easy goals, make my chances go right to the keeper or hit the post.

One time I was away with Rossi (who is pretty fast) like 20 yards out and 5 yards clear and I swear the lumbering CB got a speed boost to suddenly appear alongside me and just tackled me with ease. I'd only made it I to the box when he was all over me so he sprinted 10 yards in the time it took me to sprint 5!

Came away thinking what is the fucking point of playing this shit.

Probably just a coincidence that I had the "bad luck" script on me 4 time in a row just before promotion, I'd won the 4 games before that.
Yeah, everything here sounds about right. I particularly enjoy the bolded. I've enjoyed FIFA for years despite every year having huge flaws. But this year I just couldn't stand it and I traded it in yesterday. The one thing I came to like was the tactical defending, probably the one good thing about it. But as I mentioned in n earlier post, it's also easily exploited, so people who actually use it right get shafted. FIFA 12 is a steaming dump.

Hixx

I need my internet back to see if online play can redeem this... fucking Bt.

Sick of beating Man U/Chelsea with ease only to go to Walsall in the cup and get hammered because I can't get close to them.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Honestly I'm thinking of trading this in for PES. The player AI is just so fucking useless in both directions, players stepping up at the wrong time, wingers not making glaringly obvious runs, rubbish overlapping from the full backs, defenders getting in each others way. It doesn't play like actual football.

Fry

Sometimes I feel people are playing a different game than I am.

I have no complaints whatsoever, so far. The game is awesome.

sun-drop

head to head seasons mode is simply brilliant .. loving it. it's actually stopping me from playing as much ultimate team as i usually do ...

sneaky77

sun-drop said:
head to head seasons mode is simply brilliant .. loving it. it's actually stopping me from playing as much ultimate team as i usually do ...

yeah except you would think that at some pt someone would have catched during "testing" that clubs were being matched with national teams..

iNvid02

origin updated fifa 12 today and it looks like controlling the keeper in online is gone, great.

played a head2head season game and everything felt much better, won 5-1

leng jai

iNvidious01 said:
origin updated fifa 12 today and it looks like controlling the keeper in online is gone, great.

played a head2head season game and everything felt much better, won 5-1

Haha, you can't judge Fifa after 1 game. One game I'll be amazing and score with ease and the next it'll be like my whole team suffers from mental retardation.

sneaky77 said:
yeah except you would think that at some pt someone would have catched during "testing" that clubs were being matched with national teams..

You know, that doesn't bother me so much. I think the general matchmaking has been pretty fair. Like I highlighted in my earlier post though, the five star teams are light years ahead of the 4.5 and 4 star teams, and that is inversely related to the maturity level and skill level of the players (which is actually very, very nice).

Arnie

It's funny seeing all the negative impressions now, I remember stating how I wasn't buying the game from the demo and I received a bunch of ignorant replies afterwards about how I wasn't buying it because Suarez's face wasn't in. Now I can just sit and laugh as I'm vindicated.

Especially Menelaus who nearly had an aneurism after I criticised the game, then one week after launch he rage quits.

For what it's worth I've played a fair bit as all my house mates have it but I don't find it satisfying or enjoyable. It's certainly very realistic, but I don't think that makes for a particularly enjoyable distillation of football.

Arnie said:
It's funny seeing all the negative impressions now, I remember stating how I wasn't buying the game from the demo and I received a bunch of ignorant replies afterwards about how I wasn't buying it because Suarez's face wasn't in. Now I can just sit and laugh as I'm vindicated.

Especially Menelaus who nearly had an aneurism after I criticised the game, then one week after launch he rage quits.

For what it's worth I've played a fair bit as all my house mates have it but I don't find it satisfying or enjoyable. It's certainly very realistic, but I don't think that makes for a particularly enjoyable distillation of football.

It is still better then PES based on the demos? And I think so far only KyleHimself has sold the game, we all still play it. I played with Menelaus last night. So if you feel you have a sense of vindication than cheers to you, but I don't know where you found it from.

Awesome Animals said:
It is still better then PES based on the demos? And I think so far only KyleHimself has sold the game, we all still play it. I played with Menelaus last night. So if you feel you have a sense of vindication than cheers to you, but I don't know where you found it from.
I have indeed bangled it. I got really fed up with it, and it's not even like I was particularly bad at it either. I was holding my own in World Class with sliders untouched. Even if I wasn't always winning, I rarely lost. I genuinely think the game is rubbish this year with huge issues in every game mode. The deciding factor in getting rid of it was BF3 coming out. I have no job at the minute so need as much money as I can get to put toward it. As I've said before, tactical defending is the only good thing about the new game, but since other players can just exploit the dick out of it, it's basically broken.

Hieberrr

I have no idea what's going on, but sometimes my matches (exhibition, tournament, etc..) slow down to a crawl. I mean, the framerates drop down to like 20fps. Whenever the ball is on the pitch, the framerates drops. When the ball is kicked into the air or out of play, the framerate goes back up to normal. This isn't the first time that it has happened. :S I can't say if it's the PS3 itself or the game.. but it's pissing me off. I pull up the XMB and try to quit the game, but the PS3 just shows me a black screen for the next w/e minutes. I'm then forced to manually turn the PS3 off and then I eject the game.

AYAAAAAAAA

Menelaus

Banned
Arnie said:

PES is shit, people who buy or don't buy games based on face models are still the worst type of gamers, and no, I didn't quit FIFA.

Lkr

Lkr said:
first real FIFA game(i have world cup 2010), and i'm confused with the youth scouting. i scouted players and now I have them on my youth squad, but they bitch that I don't have them on my real squad. Why would I put someone that is a 40 overall on my real squad? How do I improve their attributes?
so three players have negated their contracts. i don't know what i'm supposed to do. it's not like i'm going to play them over my strikers that are in the 80s when their potential is in the 90s but they are still in the 40s overall :\

rvy

Banned
Lkr said:
so three players have negated their contracts. i don't know what i'm supposed to do. it's not like i'm going to play them over my strikers that are in the 80s when their potential is in the 90s but they are still in the 40s overall :\
You could probably play them from time to time? I'm sure that they're not demanding first team status for every game.

Lkr

rvy said:
You could probably play them from time to time? I'm sure that they're not demanding first team status for every game.
i just don't see the point in playing them when they're awful. why put them ahead of the team? i may be a fictional manager, but i put the squad that gives me the best chance to win on the pitch :p

Lkr said:
i just don't see the point in playing them when they're awful. why put them ahead of the team? i may be a fictional manager, but i put the squad that gives me the best chance to win on the pitch :p

toss them in for all your preseason games, put them in when you have a lead for the last 20 mins of a game, play them in domestic cups, loan them out to a team that would play them...You may be trying to field the best squad you can, but you are nothing as a manager if you can only maintain your success for a year or two until all your players leave. Being a good manager includes always preparing for the future.

Namius

Anyone else playing in the GameStop $50,000 tournament? Trying to start my first qualifying match, but I never find opponents.

sun-drop

i keep seeing this on the psn store ........ umm ...can this be brought online and run with out a disc????

if so i'd sell my hard copy and download

rvy

Banned
sun-drop said:
i keep seeing this on the psn store ........ umm ...can this be brought online and run with out a disc????

if so i'd sell my hard copy and download
Pretty sure, yeah.

sun-drop

sneaky77 said:

i have not seen that yet ??

mind you who cares? as long as the star rating is the same..

i'm having my best run EVER in a fifa game online at the mo .... not sure if its because i'm playing head to head seasons instead of my usual mode , ultimate team ... but yeh .... i'm 13-6 in head to head at the mo and about to crack group 7.

i admit i've been on the wrong end of some goals my goalie was just sleeping on, but i think being unsighted counts for alot more this year ..if veiw is obscured a shot has a darn good chance of literally dribbling over from outside of the box.

bu other than that .... nothing but praise for this game from me.

the play on the pitch is awesome, and the social modes have made vast improvments.

i just wish at the start of online matches more was made to highlight yr competition, ie ahla burnout paradise ... world rankings, goals per match ... win streak ... anything to build up and personalise the match a bit

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Do you know what I remember when PES's downfall started. They introduced some bizarre scripting to the games to give false momentum and fabricate excitement in a match. It was ridiculous. I'm not saying they chose a winner, I'm not even gonna guess how they do it, but I do know that for phases during a game, it will give one team the rub of the green. Sometimes its very short periods, sometimes its entire games.

I have lots of anecdotal proof for this. Just now I was playing a match where in the first half I had 60% possession and I was cruising pretty much. I knew I was the better player here.

Continues in a similar vein until the 53rd minute when all of a sudden my players turn into idiots for no apparent reason. My players start standing still for a split second longer, giving the opposition more space than normal. Multiple times they just go nuts and fail to string passes or make runs but worst of all fail to clear the ball or tackle properly.

The goal I conceded was ridiculous. 4, maybe even 5 of my players had the ball at their feet during the run of play that led to the goal and they all failed to clear. Some had air swings, some passed it to the opposition, some fell over. Worst of all the ball ends up in my box, and it looks like I have time and space to clear. Instead my player does a diving header towards his own goal, makes the ball roll about 10cm and takes out the GK in the process and the opposition striker just scores into an open net. I was powerless to do a thing about this!

Now I wouldn't mind if this happened when I had my back against the wall, panic stations, really struggling to stay afloat. But I was kicking this guys ass. Really intricate passing moves and nice play. Then my team crumbles for no reason and I concede 2 goals in 4 minutes - and then my team recovers and I can start playing again!

I also wouldnt mind if I was controlling poor teams, but I was controlling a 5 star team with world class players. I'd previously won 3 games in a row with them and was playing well.

I'm really really tempted to just give up H2H if this is the kind of shit I have to put up with. I have no explanation for what went wrong and how I'm supposed to handle that kind of thing.

sneaky77

kaizoku said:
Do you know what I remember when PES's downfall started. They introduced some bizarre scripting to the games to give false momentum and fabricate excitement in a match. It was ridiculous. I'm not saying they chose a winner, I'm not even gonna guess how they do it, but I do know that for phases during a game, it will give one team the rub of the green. Sometimes its very short periods, sometimes its entire games.

I have lots of anecdotal proof for this. Just now I was playing a match where in the first half I had 60% possession and I was cruising pretty much. I knew I was the better player here.

Continues in a similar vein until the 53rd minute when all of a sudden my players turn into idiots for no apparent reason. My players start standing still for a split second longer, giving the opposition more space than normal. Multiple times they just go nuts and fail to string passes or make runs but worst of all fail to clear the ball or tackle properly.

The goal I conceded was ridiculous. 4, maybe even 5 of my players had the ball at their feet during the run of play that led to the goal and they all failed to clear. Some had air swings, some passed it to the opposition, some fell over. Worst of all the ball ends up in my box, and it looks like I have time and space to clear. Instead my player does a diving header towards his own goal, makes the ball roll about 10cm and takes out the GK in the process and the opposition striker just scores into an open net. I was powerless to do a thing about this!

Now I wouldn't mind if this happened when I had my back against the wall, panic stations, really struggling to stay afloat. But I was kicking this guys ass. Really intricate passing moves and nice play. Then my team crumbles for no reason and I concede 2 goals in 4 minutes - and then my team recovers and I can start playing again!

I also wouldnt mind if I was controlling poor teams, but I was controlling a 5 star team with world class players. I'd previously won 3 games in a row with them and was playing well.

I'm really really tempted to just give up H2H if this is the kind of shit I have to put up with. I have no explanation for what went wrong and how I'm supposed to handle that kind of thing.

We all know it happens.. EA keeps denying is their code yr after yr

Animator

Prophane33 said:
So, this is a game of many firsts for me. This is my first New (as in buy when it's actually modern) PC game since Battlefield 1942, because for the first time in 6 years I've got a gaming quality PC. Also, this is also my first time choosing FIFA over Winning Eleven/PES (I just had to have the Mexican teams this year, also the demo was freaking great). This is also the first time I've ever really liked FIFA game so much, I dare say this may be the best footie sim I've played since WE9. This game is simply FANTASTIC! Lastly, I've also been playing online for the first time ever too (not a big online gamer), and it's also not bad either. I usually ignore the multi-player aspect of Fifa/Pes outside of local games, and I haven't experienced any lag or anything like that. Origin name is Prophane33 would love to play people form here (warning: I suck!).

Hey add me up man: keyframe007

I am terrible as well and looking to play with similar terrible players till we get better :)

longdi

Banned
the AI scripting is totally broken in this game and i still get the feeling the great goals i scored are so random, as in allowed by the AI and not me. In PES, as bad as the animations and players physics are, at least i know i made those great goals.

Fifa evolution started off superb this gen but i think it has peaked since Fifa10.

It's a good thing I have messaging blocked on XBL, otherwise I'd be getting a lot of hate mail. I have been doing surprisingly well with my bronze team(s) on FUT, and have been either beating or giving gold teams a run for their virtual coins.

One thing I've found out is that I still haven't mastered or even learned how to do skill moves appropriately. Everytime I go up against a player with a gold team that knows skill moves, I'm either staring at an embarassing 7-2 loss or a really tough game either way. I've tried, but I don't have a hang of it yet, and it doesn't really appeal to me. I've only just started to get a hang of 1-2 passing, otherwise it's been all possession play from me so far. I also suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck at free kicks and corners.

I don't even know how heading works, tbh, I'd appreciate any tips. Is there aiming when you head, or is it manual? My regular shooting option is set to assisted. How can I aim my headers down into the ground (to bounce in front of the GK and make it a much better header)?

I'd say UT has totally expanded the scope of this game for me, and I'm at a loss as to why I despised this mode last year. Probably because of the veiled DLC/in-game purchasing shit that is a core part of the game mode. Now that I've figured out how to make coins in-game, I'm willing to overlook the obnoxious micro-transaction part of it.

fresquito

longdi said:
the AI scripting is totally broken in this game and i still get the feeling the great goals i scored are so random, as in allowed by the AI and not me. In PES, as bad as the animations and players physics are, at least i know i made those great goals.

Fifa evolution started off superb this gen but i think it has peaked since Fifa10.
The problem with football games is that fans compare FIFA to PES and PES to FIFA. Why nobody compares football games to football? I mean... WTF is wrong with people? Anybody having seen football for longer than a week realises what you get to play in PES or FIFA is not football at all. It's is some kind of retarded abstraction of a sport where movement off the ball is the most important thing. But they only focus on movement on the ball. Besides, football, as real life, is well know for following the law that it's easier to defend than to attack. Instead you get games where defenders can't steal a damn ball. Everybody in these games is Iniesta. For God's Sake, Barcelona went behind Alexis Sánchez because only Iniesta and Messi could dribble for real. And we're talking one of the best, if not the best, teams in history. But not in football games. In football games everybody can dribble like Messi and Iniesta. And they all have the passing skill of Xavi too. It's nuts.

So, yeah, comparing PES to FIFA and FIFA to PES is moronic, since both are piles of shit that resemble nothing to what football is.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I played this today... head to head with a friend. First time playing a football game too...

Damn it was fun. I might just buy it. I sucked I admit (i lost all 5 games) but damn if it isn't fun.

ElyrionX

kaizoku said:

Uhhh, PES went downhill for a variety of reasons but this was not one of them. I know because I have been playing Winning Eleven/Pro Evo since the PS1 days and this shit has beem in every version since then.

I am pretty sure that FIFA does the same shit, at least since FIFA 09, the year I switched from PES to FIFA. But from what I can tell, FIFA 11 has been far more blatant about it than 10 or 09.

EDIT: quoted the wrong post originally

ElyrionX said:
Uhhh, PES went downhill for a variety of reasons but this was not one of them. I know because I have been playing Winning Eleven/Pro Evo since the PS1 days and this shit has beem in every version since then.

I am pretty sure that FIFA does the same shit, at least since FIFA 09, the year I switched from PES to FIFA. But from what I can tell, FIFA 11 has been far more blatant about it than 10 or 09.

EDIT: quoted the wrong post originally

It's been pretty awful this year. I'll go from a win streak of 10, to a five game streak of L/L/D/L/D and two of those games having me lose 5-0, 6-0. Keep in mind that I held possession, and shots on target to my favor, just everything goes right for them, and my AI becomes 12 year old players.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Can someone please explain how to do headers? Is there a set way to do them? I can't seem to make sense of it, feels completely unnatural.

I do defensive headers ok. Just cant score.

kaizoku said:
Can someone please explain how to do headers? Is there a set way to do them? I can't seem to make sense of it, feels completely unnatural.

I do defensive headers ok. Just cant score.

Don't time, just press the shoot button repeatedly.

Game still sucks dick online. Fast players = win. It's so overrated with speed. I've played plenty of guys who suck ass, but just run through my defence. Funny game!

Top Bottom