• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

So the only way I can enjoy this game is online. I love the idea of H2H seasons. But fuck me, I have to leave half the games because the lag is so fucking bad. Will EA ever make a FIFA where the online is reliable.

elseanio

Am I the only one who absolutely sucks at this new Tactical Defending? It seems as soon as an opposing player changes direction, there is ZERO chance of me getting to him with my selected player.

Also, why have the shoot button as the tackle button?? I've had a few times where I press it to put a foot in, but the player has already lost the ball and I just hoof it!

I lied. The only way to win this game online at this point is to pack 10 players in your defensive zone and just throw the ball and hope tactical defending screws it up for you. Fuck this game.

^lol

I just completed my first season with my virtual Pro... I ended up getting golden shoe and player of the year which shocked the shit out of me.

Apparently I had the most goals by 1 goal lol.

Won the MLS Cup by 1 point by complete luck...I won due to OG.

I wish the computer AI wasn't fucked, and I wish the humans I play against had some tact to not play football by having 8 guys in the box at a time and then just hold RB+Y as soon as they get it and hope for the best. If they do have possession, it is run to the corner and cross it. You'll get a corner or a goal!!!

I figured it out. Disable player switching, and when you don't have the ball control your striker. success!

sneaky77

Awesome Animals said:
I didn't actually do that. That is what my opponents are doing...

yes, they do that, I noticed that too.. I had a guy yesterday using ac milan that had 8 players on his box, little hard to break it down, but I managed to do it two games out of the three, the other one he just got me in a couple counters

So I played FIFA and hated it. Started liking it. Hated it again. Decided I liked online. Hated it again. Liked online again, and now tonight I've smashed both my controllers to shit. I have no job or income, so no controllers to play the 360. I know it's fucking stupid but this game just makes me so fucking angry. No other game does it. I have to stop playing for my own mental health lol. Trading it in tomorrow.

Anyways, tonight I was playing against my mate. The main glaringly obvious FIFA issue is how retarded my AI can be. The last goal I conceded two of my defenders where bumping in to each other (looked like they were hugging) his player just wanders in takes the ball while my two are still spazing out and he just slots it in.

I use a mixture of semi and manual controls, only using manual where there is no option of semi. Playing against my friend who uses all assisted is basically just a waste of time. As he told me himself, He just sits on the A button to contain and switches players with LB and this 100% effectively crowds out my players. When I'm in his box, I can't get a shot off because of this. When we both played with my control scheme, I had 75ish % possession 15 shots and 4 goals. Joe Harts super human keeping saved him further embarrassment.

I have so much bad to say about FIFA 12 and so little good. The game angers me like nothing else in life, how I can get so pissed over a game amazes me (sad really). I loved FIFA 11, I was even pretty damn decent at it. But this years effort has for me, other than the few brief spells were I thought I liked it, been the shittiest game I've played in a while. Peace FIFA 12, off to GAME you go in the morning.

sneaky77

Kylehimself said:
So I played FIFA and hated it. Started liking it. Hated it again. Decided I liked online. Hated it again. Liked online again, and now tonight I've smashed both my controllers to shit. I have no job or income, so no controllers to play the 360. I know it's fucking stupid but this game just makes me so fucking angry. No other game does it. I have to stop playing for my own mental health lol. Trading it in tomorrow.

Anyways, tonight I was playing against my mate. The main glaringly obvious FIFA issue is how retarded my AI can be. The last goal I conceded two of my defenders where bumping in to each other (looked like they were hugging) his player just wanders in takes the ball while my two are still spazing out and he just slots it in.

I use a mixture of semi and manual controls, only using manual where there is no option of semi. Playing against my friend who uses all assisted is basically just a waste of time. As he told me himself, He just sits on the A button to contain and switches players with LB and this 100% effectively crowds out my players. When I'm in his box, I can't get a shot off because of this. When we both played with my control scheme, I had 75ish % possession 15 shots and 4 goals. Joe Harts super human keeping saved him further embarrassment.

I have so much bad to say about FIFA 12 and so little good. The game angers me like nothing else in life, how I can get so pissed over a game amazes me (sad really). I loved FIFA 11, I was even pretty damn decent at it. But this years effort has for me, other than the few brief spells were I thought I liked it, been the shittiest game I've played in a while. Peace FIFA 12, off to GAME you go in the morning.

yeah fully assisted controls always break the game.. is been this way forever..

Question for the PC guys. Which cheap controllers does FIFA 12 support? I don't game on my PC, but instead of buying a console, I might grab FIFA 12 for the PC. Obviously, I have no clue when it comes to what controllers are compatible or not.

On Windows 7 by the way.

Gamecocks625 said:
Question for the PC guys. Which cheap controllers does FIFA 12 support? I don't game on my PC, but instead of buying a console, I might grab FIFA 12 for the PC. Obviously, I have no clue when it comes to what controllers are compatible or not.

On Windows 7 by the way.

360 controller

Choc

Banned
sneaky77 said:
the advantage rule in fifa has been broken for a couple yrs now

yeah but the penalty one is very very bad. I'd be shot and demoted 4 or so divisions if i did that and was being inspected

Le-mo

I played the 360 version at Bestbuy today and it was a total blast. Going from 10 to this was a total revelation. I thought I was playing PES at first until I noticed the EA logo. Will totally buy on Origin if the price is right.

Menelaus

Banned
Choc said:
http://chocspeaks.wordpress.com/

guys i wrote a blog post about my thoughts of the refereeing in the game (i am a nationally accredited professional referee in Australia). Thought you might be interested to read it.
However there is a lot they get right. I have not seen an incorrect offside decision yet (and given the complexity of that law, that in itself is amazing) plus the dishing out of red and yellow cards seems to be consistent.
Who do I write to in Australia to get your national accreditation revoked?

Choc

Banned
Menelaus said:
Who do I write to in Australia to get your national accreditation revoked?

haha since i wrote that tons of people have shown me youtubes that get it wrong, and i admit, i just haven't seen that yet

but yeah it seems pretty bad from what i see =(

ATF487

Been playing for awhile now, still shit at tactical defending, but getting better. I only can win if I dominate possession, usually if the AI (I have it set on Legendary) gets into the final third I'm boned. Shielding doesn't work as well as it used to, and I rarely time tackles well

I perfected my Fifa 11 strategy and have to find a new one for 12. In 11 it was all about low risk passes and high pressing in midfield/final third, and I could win the vast majority of matches online or against the AI on any difficulty...

Most recently, 09 was.

Don't go back to it, keep your memories untarnished.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
First season of career mode down with Borussia Dortmund. Financial spending power is a little better compared to previous efforts as I'm no longer left with pittance after a successful season and not being able to spend a bit more money to expand my team. I wonder if that situation had been different if I did not win the league though.

They still have not fixed player ratings - I am mystified how my goalkeeper can retain clean sheet after clean sheet and still be stuck in the doldrums of 6.6 or whatever in average rating. Then again I am not so sure whether ratings affect player growth as much anymore, moreso it seems that if the player is on the squad regularly they are likely to get better.

Defending is great, still fine tuning a little things here and there but I've never had to use the jockey button since I always did it with my players years ago. The marked-man feature is a little more stupid now though so I don't use it anymore. There have been a few goals scored against me due to ignorant team AI but I like to blame myself for those situations and try to rectify them at a later stage.

Overall it's probably one of the better FIFA titles for offline shenanigans.

Still hoping they turn down the boosting effect of high chemistry. There's no need for it to make your players stronger and faster, when it already makes them smarter off the ball attacking and defending.

snoopen said:
I don't want to play internationals or Barca/RM every fucking online league game. Fuck this is dumb.

What team are you playing as? I've found they do a pretty good job of placing you against like competition. I use 4* and 4.5* teams, and the best team I've played against is Brasil (I won). If you are playing as Chelsea, or Manchester United, or Real Madrid, etc, then you are going to be facing those 5* teams everytime.

elseanio

Awesome Animals said:
What team are you playing as? I've found they do a pretty good job of placing you against like competition. I use 4* and 4.5* teams, and the best team I've played against is Brasil (I won). If you are playing as Chelsea, or Manchester United, or Real Madrid, etc, then you are going to be facing those 5* teams everytime.

I'm so glad they finally made Liverpool 5*! The one year I could have went my team without facing Barca all the fucking time and they go and update the rating :(

elseanio said:
I'm so glad they finally made Liverpool 5*! The one year I could have went my team without facing Barca all the fucking time and they go and update the rating :(

Well, they did spend a lot of money on some quality players this year.

elseanio said:
Hardly anywhere near the quality of Barca, Real, Bayern, Chealsea, Mancs etc.

Agreed, but they are stronger than most of the 4.5* teams I'd gather. But, if those teams listed weren't unfairly overpowered, they're 5* rating would be more justified, but EA decided to make them so much better than everyone else, they should be a 6* IMO.

ombz

Gamecocks625 said:

On Windows 7 by the way.
The demo I played worked well with my f310.

Lkr

first real FIFA game(i have world cup 2010), and i'm confused with the youth scouting. i scouted players and now I have them on my youth squad, but they bitch that I don't have them on my real squad. Why would I put someone that is a 40 overall on my real squad? How do I improve their attributes?

Keio

For a Finer World
Choc said:
haha since i wrote that tons of people have shown me youtubes that get it wrong, and i admit, i just haven't seen that yet

but yeah it seems pretty bad from what i see =(
In FIFA 11 the offside was always spot on. I think they made it "go wrong" to add realism; is there any dev comment on this?

Zhutchka

What the hell have they done to manual through balls and especially manual lobbed through balls this year? A light tap at the button and the ball flies away 100 mph in a random direction. In FIFA 9,10,11 they were slow to use but with time on the ball you could get them exactly where you wanted, and you could even use them for lay-offs and slow-crosses etc. Manual ground through balls are manageable in FIFA 12, but they feel very assisted and only work in certain directions. The mechanics for lobbed manual through balls on the other hand seem incomprehensible and I've stopped using them altogether in favour of the long ball button.

Alright, I learned some things today. After losing a few games tonight, I tried playing as Manchester United. The quality of my opponents were much worse, but I had trouble adjusting to the skill and speed of the game. I still one though because all they did was put Ronaldo as striker and try to dribble and run around me. I am definitely glad I play as 4 and 4.5 star teams.

The kid quit early (a first time for me), and then tried to voice chat me (which I declined) and then sent me a msg calling me a fag...lol

MYJcq.jpg

All the gg's and such, and then that...the gg's came from other opponents who have tact.

Slizz

^^^Lmao

I was gonna invite you to a friendly I think during that game but I saw you had just started. Unfortunate that you had a bad experience because the game I played during was so incredible I had to stop playing after it.

Gave away a penalty 1-0, knot it up 1-1 with Neymar, then he scores immediately after 2-1 then I score like 5 minutes after 2-2, I go up 3-2 in the 82' minute. Give away ANOTHER penalty 3-3 in the 90th. Start from half field make a crazy ass run get clogged in the box, ball falls to Danilo on the outside of the box coming towards far post...... Finesse off the post in 90th min. Victory 4-3

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
This game is utterly infuriating and makes no sense. The way your team behaves like a schizo is just bullshit. And don't tell me it's my imagination or something, those sliders are proof that every little setting in the game can be tuned and adjusted and I swear to God sometimes it feels like your team's settings have been hampered or screwed up. Whether on purpose or by accident or they're trying to reflect morale or concentration or whatever.

I'm fed up of it, just want a fair game where skill is what matters. Instead I've gotta deal with all kinds of crap, guys pressing back so the AI defends for them, my guys falling asleep at seemingly scripted moments (half time, end of the game and after scoring). Controls not responding properly. I play the game for hundreds and hundreds of hours, I know how the game feels so I know when it feels wrong.

Having every loose ball go to the opposition, I just had a game where I counted how many times in a row the opposition got the rebound from a tackle and it was 8. I made 8 tackles in a row and the ball would fly off in ridiculously convenient angles and speeds to go right to one of their guys.

Players standing still or hesitating to run or running the wrong way for a split second to allow the through ball to go through. AI attackers deliberately moving away from a good spot so you can't pass to them. Not letting me choose the right player. One time the ball was 1 yard away from the line with an open goal and my AI player was like 1 step away. I just had to select him and score but it wouldn't let me select him so they cleared it.

I was just one win away from promotion and I lost 4 games in a row. I never lose 4 games in a row. Each one felt like I was cheated. Dominated possession and the game would conspire to give away easy goals, make my chances go right to the keeper or hit the post.

One time I was away with Rossi (who is pretty fast) like 20 yards out and 5 yards clear and I swear the lumbering CB got a speed boost to suddenly appear alongside me and just tackled me with ease. I'd only made it I to the box when he was all over me so he sprinted 10 yards in the time it took me to sprint 5!

Came away thinking what is the fucking point of playing this shit.

Probably just a coincidence that I had the "bad luck" script on me 4 time in a row just before promotion, I'd won the 4 games before that.

Awesome Animals said:
Alright, I learned some things today. After losing a few games tonight, I tried playing as Manchester United. The quality of my opponents were much worse, but I had trouble adjusting to the skill and speed of the game. I still one though because all they did was put Ronaldo as striker and try to dribble and run around me. I am definitely glad I play as 4 and 4.5 star teams.

The kid quit early (a first time for me), and then tried to voice chat me (which I declined) and then sent me a msg calling me a fag...lol

MYJcq.jpg

All the gg's and such, and then that...the gg's came from other opponents who have tact.

Hey I see my name there!

Top Bottom