• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

JLG-

zou said:
Doesn't really matter, half of the time you are going to be playing against 5 star teams. I got matched up with Barcelona, England, Real, Spain, ManU and Arsenal as Schalke 04 or Stoke City. In fact, in over 20+ games I played less than five 4* teams..
That never happens to me. I choose a 4 star team and i'm always matched up against other 4 stars or 3 1/2 star teams.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
come on then share your favourite teams and players for H2H! some real hidden gems out there.

Keio

For a Finer World
Never been matched against 5 star teams w/ my choices of Ajax, Newcastle, Spartak and Espanyol. H2H matchmaking is great, esp. w/ quitter control e.g. DNF filter.

ElyrionX

I don't get the slider settings and the magnitude their impact in this game.

I was playing on Professional and at the default slider settings and was really struggling. The AI dribbled like a demon, made perfect passes all the time and maintained a perfect defensive line all the time. And I'm no slouch at football games. So I raised the AI passing error slider gradually to 100 and now the AI has a far more realistic passing rate. They still make perfect passes most of the time but are more prone to errors when under pressure.

After that and getting the hang of TD, i could defend effectively and prevent goals scored against me. But the AI's defense was frustrating the shit out of me. The marking was so tight and lines so perfect that it was extremely hard to get clear chances on goal. One on ones were non existent and the only goals I scored were largely created out of half chances.

So I adjusted the sliders again. AI speed and acceleration to 45 and man marking to 40. I thought the adjustments were minor given my experience with the passing error slider. But the change was tremendous. I was steamrolling the AI non stop. It was so easy that i adjusted speed and acceleration to 48 and marking to 45. It feels comfortable now but still somewhat easy. Going to try messing around with it again tonight.

Keio said:
Never been matched against 5 star teams w/ my choices of Ajax, Newcastle, Spartak and Espanyol. H2H matchmaking is great, esp. w/ quitter control e.g. DNF filter.

I've had little problems playing with Lille, Benfica, Napoli, Santos, and Aston Villa. The best team I've played so far is probably the Uragayan National Team or AC Milan.

Okay kinda dumb question but here goes.

I know very little about soccer/football but that was the case with many of the other sports I watch. How did I learn more about them? Video games. Kinda lame but that was the case.

Since the NBA decided to lockout, and thusly made NBA 2K12 completely useless as is (also would've had to get the ps3 version of that so it works out fine for now) I will be trading this in tomorrow. I played the demo of this and had a good time despite not know wtf I was doing.

I wanted to know how noob friendly this game is. I always like to get into new sports and Since this game is supposedly the bees knees (what does this even mean?) I thought it would be a nice game to fill the sports game void in my heart.

is it?

JWong

Banned
Knux-Future said:

I know very little about soccer/football but that was the case with many of the other sports I watch. How did I learn more about them? Video games. Kinda lame but that was the case.

Since the NBA decided to lockout, and thusly made NBA 2K12 completely useless as is (also would've had to get the ps3 version of that so it works out fine for now) I will be trading this in tomorrow. I played the demo of this and had a good time despite not know wtf I was doing.

I wanted to know how noob friendly this game is. I always like to get into new sports and Since this game is supposedly the bees knees (what does this even mean?) I thought it would be a nice game to fill the sports game void in my heart.

is it?
It has all the major football leagues, so you'll familiarize yourself with the best teams pretty fast. Career Mode is quite easy to get into, and the game on the easiest difficulty can be played by anyone.

FIFA or NHL are great sports game to help get into a sport. NHL does have a better early tutorial though.

JWong said:
It has all the major football leagues, so you'll familiarize yourself with the best teams pretty fast. Career Mode is quite easy to get into, and the game on the easiest difficulty can be played by anyone.

FIFA or NHL are great sports game to help get into a sport. NHL does have a better early tutorial though.

Sweet thanks

Knux-Future said:

is it?

Was in this exact boat. My knowledge of soccer is extremely basic, and I've probably watched less than 20 games in my life. That said...yeah, it'll take lots of games, but playing to a level of not making a fool of yourself isn't difficult.

Terminology and basic scoring and defense stratgies come easily and intuitively. Learning the controls, specifically learning when to use certain stuff can be somewhat difficult. Grinding away at the Virtual Pro achivements in exhibitions can really help with this. The hardest part for me was learning the proper field position for the various positions, and what the formations mean. Since in Virtual Pro mode the game likes to deduct from your score if you're out of position, I found it best to really pay attention to where guys were off the ball so I could try and replicate that when running around. For formations, I had to actually do some googling. I'm still not good enough to be switching formations willy nilly, but I know where my VP is supposed to be which is good enough for now.

Flipping around the menus can be a real struggle at first, but it's not so bad when you figure out who plays in what league, and all of the different layouts. FIFA is like having 40 soccer games in one or something with all of the different leagues.

Playing this game really made me realize how intimidating modern sports sims can be for someone who isn't used to the minutae of a given sport, but if you're posting on this forum you should be game enough to get things down in a couple weeks.

JWong

Banned
Although I wish they had done more about EA Football Club, the EAFC Challenges every few days is based off real events. It definitely makes you experience what happened and may even get you to look it up.

Fry

Loving CM. Playing with Bayern, finished 4th on the first season, just had my qualification match to enter the Champions League. Top of the league so far.

Best Fifa I've played on the Xbox to date. (between 9, 10, 11, 12)

besiktas1

Knux-Future said:

is it?

Support Chelsea, hate Barca (read: Sergio Busquets) and enjoy the fun.

Play on easiest and learn when it's appropriate to use the wings (then cross) or play through the middle (through pass). Remember depending what footed they are, try to get them to shoot using that foot. Run into passes when the players back is toward the goal.

FeD.nL

Anyone intrested in playing some FUT friendly's? Still trying to get my team down. My psn is FeD_nL and my team is atm 4,5 star/100% chemistry.

I'm really tired of that shit game. Carrer mode is completely broken. At some point the game randomly made a starting eleven consisting of reserve players of mine. There are some players left on the bench, the rest is gone and replaced by random goalkeepers that are broken. Freezes everytime I go in that menu where I can choose formation and the players.

Happened the second time now. Doesn't even make sense to start a new carreer...

God fucking damn it! I always struggle against Bayern in H2H. Lost again after Neuer made some absolutely ridiculous saves and Gomez scored two shit goals on the counter, the second of which was due to me throwing everyone forward at the end. Seriously though, fuck Manuel Neuer. He saved 4 or 5 which were heading right into the top corner.

Vard

Anyone else been getting the replay glitch where it just shows the half-way line when a goal or offside occurs? If it it happens once, the rest of the match it stays broken. I think it carries over to the arena mode and other matches too.

Vard said:
Anyone else been getting the replay glitch where it just shows the half-way line when a goal or offside occurs? If it it happens once, the rest of the match it stays broken. I think it carries over to the arena mode and other matches too.

Supposedly they are fixing this in the next patch. I know a few of us have complained about the problem as well.

JLG-

Vard said:
Yeah. It happens after a laggy game and it won't go away unless I restart the game.

Hieberrr

I could have sworn that you arent supposed to be called offside if you were onside when the ball was passed, but another teammate was offside :S Or am I completely wrong?

sneaky77

Menelaus said:
How dare you insinuate that the coding masters at EA don't know what a proper offsides call entails!!!

BURN THE HERETIC!

lol.. there are so many too close to even call offsides called that is kinda depressing

Menelaus

Banned
Well, I mean, you're offside or you're not. There's no real "advantage" to be played.

The problem is that EA didn't program in any sort of buffer to mimic real life discrepancies by the linesmen. If one pixel of the attacker is further forward than any pixel of the defender, offside. That's crap, and not real football.

They realistically should program it based on their shoulders or necks.

sneaky77

Awesome Animals said:
What is the rule? Does the advantage go to the forward?

If its too close to call is supposed to be no call... also if the guy offsides does not participate in the play is no call.
But a lot of the calls, don't even look like calls, I don't care where EA decides to draw their little markers, sometimes they don't correspond with the player position, unless they are using his nose as a marker or something

Anybody got any idea why Meireles has R.Meireles on his shirt and is just a generic guy in single player. But when I play head to head seasons his shirt name is correct and he has a mohawk.

Kylehimself said:
Anybody got any idea why Meireles has R.Meireles on his shirt and is just a generic guy in single player. But when I play head to head seasons his shirt name is correct and he has a mohawk.
The h2h rosters are more up to date than the normal ones. Try going to my FIFA then squads then download squad upstate. I'm not sure if that is the exact path b/c I'm on my phone but that should be close.

Awesome Animals said:
The h2h rosters are more up to date than the normal ones. Try going to my FIFA then squads then download squad upstate. I'm not sure if that is the exact path b/c I'm on my phone but that should be close.
Cheers, that worked. Perhaps you can answer this too, when I edit a players appearance it doesn't seem to actually change them in game. I changed Sturridge's boots to the ones he actually wears from the crap EA ones. But I noticed in my career he had the shit ones on again.

Kylehimself said:
Cheers, that worked. Perhaps you can answer this too, when I edit a players appearance it doesn't seem to actually change them in game. I changed Sturridge's boots to the ones he actually wears from the crap EA ones. But I noticed in my career he had the shit ones on again.

Maybe it is because the Career exist prior to the boot switch...A new career may be necessary.

I love this game, but my experience online and with EA's servers has me ready to quit playing. Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

- Finish a H2H game and try to start another one. Instead, get a "There was a problem with online roster check. Please try again later." Happens 100% of the time and seemingly requires me to restart the game, which takes forever.
- Constantly getting disconnected from EA's servers (XBL stays connected just fine) and closing me out of game sections (like Ultimate Team, for example) for sessions at a time. This can be random, or it can be tied to something that pings EA's servers, like opening a new pack in UT.

Other than these, I've had no problems with lag or whatnot. My NAT is open and I've got great, consistent 'net connection. Really curious if I'm the only one suffering these issues or if there's a solution.

Awesome Animals said:
Maybe it is because the Career exist prior to the boot switch...A new career may be necessary.
For what ever bollocks reason it resets the squads and players to defaults for career. What's the point in even updating them.

Joe

ok I am in need of some serious tips. here is my typical game: 3x the shots, 60% possession, lose the game 4-1.

from what I notice the majority of the goals I give up are counter-attack goals. my offense sucks, I have no real plan. I just usually take my time, do a lot of passes, and make it to the edge of the box easily but end up just trying to deke out defenders and almost never win.

adelante

Kylehimself said:
You wouldn't mid posting your current slider settings? Do you keep the player sliders all at 50?
Nope, I had my own acceleration and speed sliders set at 40. The pace felt realistic at the time, but I'll be fiddling around a bit more once I get into CM (God knows when that'll be, too addicted to H2H, Pro Clubs and other games at the moment =p). I did increase my Player Run Frequency to about 60 and I'm not sure if it's down to that particular slider tweak I made or my own custom tactics, but I had Aaron Lennon making this amazing sprint into space for a square ball, and this is WITHOUT me triggering a teammate run. Also love how Gerard mistimed his tackle (which afforded me that free run in the first place) and Puyol slicing his desperate clearance at the end lol. This is on World Class btw.

For the CPU, I had the sliders tweaked like so:

Acceleration - 40
Speed - 40
Passing Error - 80
Passing Speed - 60
Positioning: Run frequency - 70

The overall speeds seems to fall somewhere in between Normal and Slow, probably leaning more towards the former. Passing feels a tiny bit zippier, any higher and you'll be taking more touches to trap the ball or increase the directional error in your first touch passes because of its overpowered nature. Which did make me wonder if some of the mistakes made by the CPU was due to the increase in passing speed. The game definitely feels more methodical....and it already did on default slider settings, compared to FIFA11.

NoRéN

Playing on legendary.

Speed and acceleration set at 48 for CPU. Pass error to 52. No changes to my sliders. Games playing well.

sneaky77 said:
If its too close to call is supposed to be no call... also if the guy offsides does not participate in the play is no call.
But a lot of the calls, don't even look like calls, I don't care where EA decides to draw their little markers, sometimes they don't correspond with the player position, unless they are using his nose as a marker or something
I got a ridiculous offside call last night. It was so marginal I couldn't even see what was wrong.

SumGamer

leng jai said:
Why does he camera angle change in some head 2 head matches? Shit sucks.

Default camera angle changes depend on the stadium you play in. I think you can change it to static if you want to.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
the sliders make boosting your pro ridiculously easy, to the point that the mode is broken. Whats the point of having a pro and playing online/in clubs if the guys all boost to 90?

adelante

kaizoku said:
the sliders make boosting your pro ridiculously easy, to the point that the mode is broken. Whats the point of having a pro and playing online/in clubs if the guys all boost to 90?
Yeah fuckin serious oversight on EA's part. You can bring the CPU keeper's ability all the down to zero and earn those long distance shot accomplishments with no effort at all.

To be honest (and this is something I thought about since Pro Clubs was first introduced), I wish they have separate virtual pros for the different gameplay modes..and you can only level up each of them by earning accomplishments in their respective mode. That way, the VP that you're using for Pro Clubs is representative of how much time you've invested in that mode.

Joe said:
ok I am in need of some serious tips. here is my typical game: 3x the shots, 60% possession, lose the game 4-1.

from what I notice the majority of the goals I give up are counter-attack goals. my offense sucks, I have no real plan. I just usually take my time, do a lot of passes, and make it to the edge of the box easily but end up just trying to deke out defenders and almost never win.

Are these H2H or AI games? AI, I don't know what to tell you, mess with the sliders I guess. H2H make sure you aren't taking your players out of position. Most of the goals I let in are off the counter-attack, and my opponent is playing ultra defensive and stacking 6,7,8 in the box. It is super annoying. I think the best counter to that is to up the pace of your build up a little.

Also, I'd learn who has a decent outside shot and try to set them up with something. Or, try crossing into the box from places outside the crossing zone. This can be effective because the defense just isn't positioned to defend against that because it is an unexpected play. Early crosses can def be effective.

And finally, if you do have control of the possession and are just passing outside the box, watch your strikers in the box, they may make a run that will enable you to make a decent through pass to them, or a quick give and go can work.

I've definitely gotten frustrated for similar reasons, and when they throw 7 in the box, it is hard to get a decent shot on goal that a defender won't block. I always make sure I alter my playstyle throughout the game as to not become predictable. Try counter-attacking if you see the opportunity.

My biggest problem has been when they bring the keeper out waaaaaay early and I'm just not prepared. Trying to fight a guy to retain possession of the ball, and then seeing the keeper outside the box is frustrating, especially when chip balls seem to be hard to power right.

Amneisac

Online is where it's at! Pro Clubs all the way! Where else can you so perfectly capture the realism of going up against an 8'3" 127 rated virtual pro? Truly an awesome experience and a well-crafted game this is. Glad the cheaters haven't found a way to ruin it yet. Am I being sarcastic enough? I'm really going for sardonic. I'd like to hurt someone's feelings at EA.

kiryani

Famicom said:
Was in this exact boat. My knowledge of soccer is extremely basic, and I've probably watched less than 20 games in my life. That said...yeah, it'll take lots of games, but playing to a level of not making a fool of yourself isn't difficult.

Terminology and basic scoring and defense stratgies come easily and intuitively. Learning the controls, specifically learning when to use certain stuff can be somewhat difficult. Grinding away at the Virtual Pro achivements in exhibitions can really help with this. The hardest part for me was learning the proper field position for the various positions, and what the formations mean. Since in Virtual Pro mode the game likes to deduct from your score if you're out of position, I found it best to really pay attention to where guys were off the ball so I could try and replicate that when running around. For formations, I had to actually do some googling. I'm still not good enough to be switching formations willy nilly, but I know where my VP is supposed to be which is good enough for now.

Flipping around the menus can be a real struggle at first, but it's not so bad when you figure out who plays in what league, and all of the different layouts. FIFA is like having 40 soccer games in one or something with all of the different leagues.

Playing this game really made me realize how intimidating modern sports sims can be for someone who isn't used to the minutae of a given sport, but if you're posting on this forum you should be game enough to get things down in a couple weeks.

This is pretty much my entire thought process with NFL games, I watch the superbowl, that's it.

I enjoy playing NFL games with a few friends and I can work out the absolute basics, but career mode?

Fuck me that stuff hurts my brain.

Top Bottom