• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

So close to impulse buying this on switch. I think it's a really good fit and something I can jump in to every now and then for years.

Save me gaf.

EDarkness

I knew the engine would be the old one and thats fine. But how the game actually played, movement, ai and menu stuff I was under the impression would be the same.

There was no way that was happening. Not saying the game is bad, but the engine change pretty much guaranteed it was going to be different.

Think I'll change my mind and buy the switch physical if it's lacking online play with friends so I can sell it when the next Fifa comes.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I've got the PS4 and Switch versions and I'm quite disappointed with the latter. It's a decent portable FIFA game but it's not FIFA 18, I was expecting more parity in gameplay terms. Even the penalty system is from FIFA 16.

I'll play it when I'm travelling or on the toilet but it's not the bespoke version of FIFA 18 that we were teased with. It's FIFA 16 with a few gameplay tweaks and new menus/rosters.

Damn a bit bummed this morgning. Before pre ordering I was under the impression it woould be the same game (gameplay) as the console/pc versions but now it seems Fifa 18 on Switch is based on Fifa 16. Is this true?

No I have the game on Switch, played the demo on PS4 and played the game on my brother's PS3 too. Switch is more than ok graphically and the feeling is very close. PS3 is the crappiest as should be (Essential). PS4 is beautiful but that's about it (I'm not playing story mode).

Really 41€ (10€ coupon gift after purchase) with a free Fifa 18 guide, choice was really easy for me.

PS4 demo will do the trick if some friends are acting like "I've lost because the Switch version is different" lol

note: in the guide no difference between Switch/PS4/XboxOne versions (same controls possibilities, same settings etc.) Most of the "complicated" things are same as Xbox One but you have to change button's names (the guide explains this for advanced dribbles for example)

Blablurn

I've got the PS4 and Switch versions and I'm quite disappointed with the latter. It's a decent portable FIFA game but it's not FIFA 18, I was expecting more parity in gameplay terms. Even the penalty system is from FIFA 16.

I'll play it when I'm travelling or on the toilet but it's not the bespoke version of FIFA 18 that we were teased with. It's FIFA 16 with a few gameplay tweaks and new menus/rosters.

Surprised some people were expecting more than that.

Goodlife

That’s seems like a exaggeration. It’s full-control FIFA portable with pretty good (PS3.5) looks.

Portable also has benefits without even leaving the house.

It’s missing some of the bells and whistles. For that, it should be some $10 cheaper. Otherwise it’s a pretty attractive proposition.

Can only hope it does well so EA sees there’s a market and makes a larger effort to close the feature gap.

I think PS4 / Xbone versions should be $10 cheaper for lacking portability

Feels like lots if stuff missing and the graphics and lighting is pretty mediocre compared to the definitive FIFA 18. Where is the store where you could buy coin boosters and such?

whyman

Feels like lots if stuff missing and the graphics and lighting is pretty mediocre compared to the definitive FIFA 18. Where is the store where you could buy coin boosters and such?

Was expecting the graphics but really sad to hear the other stuff. EA really is always dissapoints.

Jerry

Why cant I download it on Origin yet?

Thought it was meant to be out today? its 10am on the 29th atm in the UK.

Markoman

I think PS4 / Xbone versions should be $10 cheaper for lacking portability

VApAD61.gif

BTW fired up the demo on PS4 last night. Is it just me or are the ball physics quite off? Last FIFA was 16 for me, which was ok in this regard.
In the 18 demo, the angle of crosses is sometimes super unrealisitc and the way the ball acclerates.

Porcile

I used some points on my loyalty card so I got the Switch version super cheap. I just want a football game to have a kick about when im bored and being able to take it on the go is nice.

Looks like there are no physical Switch versions available in Germany as of now. Saturn told me delivery is stuck in customs. Gamestop also has none. Anyone can confirm this for Germany (northern Germany here)?

Switch users,

I play FIFA on consoles a lot, probably too much, and my missus always wants the TV for something. Is the Switch career mode up to scratch? That’s my favourite mode and it wouldn’t have to have all the bells and whistles of FIFA 18 but just be practically the same as FIFA17.

Will I be disappointed?

Switch users,

I play FIFA on consoles a lot, probably too much, and my missus always wants the TV for something. Is the Switch career mode up to scratch? That’s my favourite mode and it wouldn’t have to have all the bells and whistles of FIFA 18 but just be practically the same as FIFA17.

Will I be disappointed?

Yes. If by "Career mode" you mean "The Journey" it's not in the Switch version.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Keep the system preference wars out of the OT, pretty please.

There's a dedicated thread for the play-with-friends Switch online issues.

This is ridiculous. I can't even download the game on PC. There simply is no download button for it. FIFA 18 is the only game that doesn't have the option to download. Now I'm waiting at least an hour for support. Pretty pissed off...I wasn't even gonna buy the game but only did because I found a good deal on it.

Why cant I download it on Origin yet?

Thought it was meant to be out today? its 10am on the 29th atm in the UK.

Same here in the UK. Can't download it. 60+ minute wait for support.

Really surprised LA’s stadium is in wSwitch version.

So it sounds like a bit of pre-frostbite FIFA but with some new stuff like the new crossing system added in.

I’m cool with this for someone who hasn’t owned FIFA is years and is just getting back into the series.

DigSCCP

In for PS4.
PSN ID same as Neogaf nickname so if you wanna try your luck agaisnt Chelsea or a Calcio A UT feel free to add lol

Nearly 7pm, 29th Sep here in Australia and no Origin download button. EA better have an apology tweet prepared for the shitstorm heading their way.

FIFA 18 Origin Reddit thread nearing 1000 comments LOL :

https://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/733vrm/pcorigin_fifa_18_download_hoolabaloo_megathread/

Seems like it's happening to a lot of people! By any chance did you buy a key from a 3rd party site or did you order directly through Origin? I got mine from CD Keys so I'm just worried about that.

Seems like it's happening to a lot of people! By any chance did you buy a key from a 3rd party site or did you order directly through Origin? I got mine from CD Keys so I'm just worried about that.

Same but apparently the source of the key isn't what's causing the problem, despite someone from EA insinuating as much.

robjn3

VApAD61.gif

BTW fired up the demo on PS4 last night. Is it just me or are the ball physics quite off? Last FIFA was 16 for me, which was ok in this regard.
In the 18 demo, the angle of crosses is sometimes super unrealisitc and the way the ball acclerates.

I thought the same until I tried the retail version where they are better, lobbed through balls are a little too floaty still for my liking though.

Markoman

I thought the same until I tried the retail version where they are better, lobbed through balls are a little too floaty still for my liking though.

Good to hear, glad they have fixed this.
I remember one FIFA demo (can't remember the year) where you could do hilarious S-crosses which was also fixed in the retail version,

Still no download button. Still waiting for customer support to talk to me...have been waiting for 70 minutes so far and still have 10-15 minutes to go apparently.

This better get sorted today.

whyman

Having played 3 games on PC and 3 games on Switch, this is how I feel so far.

The Switch version is good but AI seems a lot simpler. Not sure but on same settings I won 3 games by a good margin on Switch. Only 1 on PC. Also 2 players ran into each other for no reason on Switch but who knows... A big plus with the Switch version is that it loads so fast and having a good portable FIFA is awesome, because yes, it is good.

Jerry

Still no download button. Still waiting for customer support to talk to me...have been waiting for 70 minutes so far and still have 10-15 minutes to go apparently.

This better get sorted today.

I got through this morning,

They literally said "just wait"

I got through this morning,

They literally said "just wait"

Yeah after an hour and a half waiting they said to wait another 3-4 hours for the game to launch lmao. I told them it was meant to launch 13 hours ago. It's ridiculous.

EDIT* well it looks like I can "preload" it with a release date of October 9th at 11:00 BST. What a joke.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah after an hour and a half waiting they said to wait another 3-4 hours for the game to launch lmao. I told them it was meant to launch 13 hours ago. It's ridiculous.

EDIT* well it looks like I can download it now...

Unlock time depends on what territory your key is from, also standard editions just unlocked..

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Did some SBCs and drafts and I've got 10 packs in the bank, saving for the OTWs tonight.

2x All Players
4x Premium Gold
2x Premium Gold Jumbo
1x Gold Players Premium
1x Prime Gold Players

Please Christ PLEASE let me get a decent pull for once!

Top Bottom