• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not in the same realm. The switch version actually has effort and is very serviceable. I'd actually recommend it to people depending on what they are looking for. The portability of this and the quality make this a good buy. Hardcore fans might feel burnt by the missing features but overall it's a good package.

It really depends on how hardcore a fan you are. If all you want is to play football it's perfect. It has manager mode and online play. If you want a robust story mode then don't bother.

Xater

It really depends on how hardcore a fan you are. If all you want is to play football it's perfect. It has manager mode and online play. If you want a robust story mode then don't bother.

After some more time with it I would only recommend it if the offline modes are good enough for you. Maybe if you want to cable in online leagues. FUT is just too gimped in here. Not just from a modes perspective, but also by his many opportunities you have to make money.

Nyx

Enjoying my career game with West Ham. The Premier League presentation and all the real stadiums add a lot of atmosphere.

On the pitch I'm having more fun the more I play, feel like I'm getting better at defending, which helps a lot.

Porcile

Nope, and it's pathetic. FIFA last gen had "creation centre" and it was awesome. Five games in on this gen and nothing. Not even create a club. And, they are so beyond developing for single player, they haven't updated the youngest possible birth year for created players in a couple years. So 1998 is the youngest possible birth year a created player can have whereas they used to update it every year so you could make 17 year olds.

Yeah. The one feature I wanted from career mode is not in the game - an option PES has had since its inception(?) Lol Fuck EA. Glad I didn't pay full price for this one. Never again.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Division 8 and 2 titles, with a 7-4-4 match report.

Some comments on Switch’s version:

Gameplay wise I love it, it’s far better than Fifa 17:
++ Aerial balls are easier to manage, whatever the camera view.
++ Fifa 18 is far less scripted, I read someone mention it feels like PES 6 and it’s exacty that.
++ Pro controller analog sticks are perfect for this game, crossovers and centers are diabolically precise
— but no rumble at all, why EA?
— no way to edit tactics on the dpad (or did I miss something?). The preset tactics are fine but I wish I could get counter attack instead of change side, years of habits.
— no online with friends needs to get patched ASAP. This game is too competitive to miss this feature. I guess if I select a 1 star team and my friends do the same, we’ll connect 9 times out of 10, but that’s stupid to have to get to this.
— no touchscreen feature is a regression from Fifa 13. No gyro passing pointing anywhere on the field (a la Splatoon 2 on the map) is a missed opportunity.

Overall this Fifa on Switch is still a dream come true. Each version of Fifa is different, the newer version doesn’t mean it’s automatically better, balance tweaks are usually hit and miss. This version gets the balance right. It’s a dream to play, it’s portable and on my 65’ 4K TV, reducing the display to 80% it looks good enough to be drawn into the game. My 21:9 PC Fifa 17 just isn’t as good as a game as this version.

Bravo EA, now keep going and finish your work with important patches.

jts

...hate me...
"Although I've talked about it, and that team has talked about it, people see us as being biased. So hey, try it, and everyone who tries it says... 'OK, I'm going to get this.' We need people to get their hands on it."

And yet, Switch version is the only one not to receive a demo...
That’s more likely a publisher decision than a developer decision.

edit: sorry, didn’t realize I was reading the 1st page.

Played my first division game vs professional difficulty. Scored a goal in the 26th and parked the bus the rest of the game. No shame, Mou has tought me well. Just gotta pray someone puts up a cheap transfer for lord Fellaini.

empyrean

Anyone got any links to good sites/youtube channels that have good tutorials on fifa 18 fundamentals / basics (gameplay)

Mikke

— no way to edit tactics on the dpad (or did I miss something?). The preset tactics are fine but I wish I could get counter attack instead of change side, years of habits.
Before a match you can use R to get to a "Tactics" tab (between "Formations" and "Roles" where you can set that stuff up. Or did you mean something else?

So there's no way to create my own team from scratch in career mode? Like a Porcile UTD with a bunch of generic players and build a team from there starting at the lowest league? Why would you even want to start a career as a full strength Real Madrid or Barcelona team?

PES please come to Switch.
why are those the only two options in your mind?

Go into the English League 2, choose a crap team and build them up, make them a great team.

Lupercal

Banned
Played a few games last night.
Not enough experience yet but I noticed some things already.

Keepers are defense less against shots outside the box, even a 70 rated player can score against the best keeper if you shot from the corner outside the box.

Also the bouncing of the ball against players is annoying at times, even can create goalthreats out of nothing.

New animations seem pretty good so far but I need to play some more.

Porcile

why are those the only two options in your mind?

Go into the English League 2, choose a crap team and build them up, make them a great team.

I don't want to play as Real or Barca either. I just don't understand why you would want to play as a 5 star team straight away. That's like playing a Metroid game and having all of Samus' abilities open to you from the start. The fun for me is taking a one star team of my own creation to a five star. PES has done this nicely for as long as I can remember. It's like a basic feature as far I'm concerned.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I don't want to play as Real or Barca either. I just don't understand why you would want to play as a 5 star team straight away. That's like playing a Metroid game and having all of Samus' abilities open to you from the start. The fun for me is taking a one star team of my own creation to a five star. PES has done this nicely for as long as I can remember. It's like a basic feature as far I'm concerned.

He's literally said to just choose a lower league team and build them up

Wessiej

Soo this game is whack. Every shot is a goal. All games ended in at least 9 goals, on- and offline. Ridiculous. My first 3 FUT games ended in 8-6, 7-7 and 5-4.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
FUT is just too gimped in here. Not just from a modes perspective, but also by his many opportunities you have to make money.

Yeah I'm struggling to understand why Switch version doesn't have daily weekly challenges, etc.

FIFA 18 being the first version I've played since FIFA 15, it's like a breath of fresh air. Everything just feels and looks really polished. With 3K resolution and ReShade it looks awesome and runs super smooth. I remember spending hours tweaking the sliders in 15 to get the game to feel closer to real life and balanced between challenge and fun, yet it still felt too arcadey. I've barely touched them in 18. I like that I'm rewarded for tactical awareness and patient defending. I used to spam slide tackles like crazy LOL. Only negative is Career Mode hasn't progressed much in 3 years.

Lupercal

Banned
Does it have all the managerial aspects?

You build your own team from small beginnings (unless you pay real money or hit the jackpot with a pack) choose all players you want, jersye, badge, stadium etc..

But there's no talking to the press, no training etc ..

Fox1304

I’m loving the become a pro mode atm.
Dedicated camera is great but I feel like framerate takes a hit compared to TV camera. Anybody can confirm ?

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
So how possible is it to play FUT without spending money? I buy FIFA every year but never tried the mode before. I've got a team of gold players, nobody brilliant though, so I'd assume I'd just want to focus on buying gold packs as I won't be getting better players from bronze or silver packs, but with gold being more expensive, I'm very worried about not getting enough contact cards to keep going.

empyrean

So how possible is it to play FUT without spending money? I buy FIFA every year but never tried the mode before. I've got a team of gold players, nobody brilliant though, so I'd assume I'd just want to focus on buying gold packs as I won't be getting better players from bronze or silver packs, but with gold being more expensive, I'm very worried about not getting enough contact cards to keep going.

Don’t buy packs. They are a waste of coins. Save up coins and buy players form the transfer market.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Squad battles make zero sense

I'm beating the 100 chem 82 rated teams 4-0 easily, but on the same difficulty struggling to win 1-0 or even losing against 77 rated 62 chem teams

wtf?

Best

Is there no way to play ‘casual’ 1v1 games against randoms anymore? First FIFA I’ve bought in a while.

Bumhead

Banned
The commentary on this game is great but man, Alan Smith REALLY hates my Brighton side.

Drew 0-0 with City on the opening day, he said it was a result we had to recover from then said the defence had been poor! Seems to think I will lose every game as well. Twat!

Career Mode has me hooked.

Incredible game... so good to play on the go. Congrats EA on your first great Switch game. Best thing to happen to Nintendo - a great third party sports game.

jts

...hate me...
Is there no way to play ‘casual’ 1v1 games against randoms anymore? First FIFA I’ve bought in a while.
There’s not there hasn’t been in some time, there's just Seasons, but just face it the same way as friendlies. It’s not serious.

Top Bottom