• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

Bought it on PS4, with 18 being my first FIFA since FIFA 08. I really need to watch some video guides, as I'm getting my ass kicked by friends. Getting the ball into my half and also maintaining ball possession is something that I really suck at.

While I didn't hear something from the employees there I also noticed that the Switch version was nowhere to be found at the Saturn store where I bought my PS4 copy. They had tons and tons of X1 and PS4 copies, some PS3 and 360 ones and no PC or Switch copy. That's so fucking strange.

Seems like Media Markt and Saturn didn’t get the switch version. But I found plenty at real ...

Happy with the Switch edition so far, halfway through a good run of career mode with ‘17 on the PS4 so won’t be upgrading that edition for a while.

The Switch version is what I wanted though, portable FIFA that plays well and has a decent career mode. Started as Lincoln City and will play until I manage to win the Champions League.

Bumhead

Banned
Can see myself playing this entirely offline this year.

Not sure if I've been missing a trick for years or if this years game does it particularly well, but playing against the AI on manual controls is a total game changer. Games are unpredictable, exciting, it's a genuine challenge, individual players feel individual, scoring feels exciting.. its unbeleivable. The entire pace and flow feels different (and for me, better) to the point where I HATED how it felt playing with the assists on going back to it to play online.

Career Mode, as a result, has me utterly hooked. This is by some distance the most I've enjoyed a FIFA in years.

Curious to know if anyone playing the Switch version can comment on manual controls in that version, or on the AI. If it's comparable, I might double dip.

switch version is superb. i know it misses bunch of modes but all i care about is the game itself and not so much the modes. that being said i do like the ability to play seasons. the vita game i had didnt have this as far as i remember.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Playing Professional on Switch and it seems far more difficult than in the PC version.

There's like no space your players at all.

I think there are a couple different things. The fact that the Switch doesn't have the new animations and first touches means that you always have to do things one step before you normally do it in the PC version, because you can't break your moves as quickly. So if you change direction or pass "at the right time" you will lose the ball. Practically you need to anticipate this slight delay. On the other hand the AI is not as punishing in attack on Switch. So you are more likely to win 1-0 on professional on Switch (harder to score but easier to defend), while on PC you almost never get away without a goal scored against you if the attackers are good.

Curious to know if anyone playing the Switch version can comment on manual controls in that version, or on the AI. If it's comparable, I might double dip.

Manual control feels the same, except for the shots where you need to press the button more than in the other versions for the same result. And of course the crosses are done as in the previous versions, not the new crosses in FIFA 18 on PC.
The AI is somewhere between 17 and 18 on PC I would say. Feels like in attack they do better supporting runs than in 17 and the defenders rather close to FIFA 17.

Also in my opinion the same difficulty levels on PC are tougher than on Switch. I can win easily on Professional on Switch so far, but maybe it's also because I compare it with the overpowered Squad Battles on PC.

Blackie

Plays great handheld.

Only problem for me is the "Nintendo" controls. Since I've never played FIFA on a Nintendo console, only Xbox, I keep pressing B to shoot and A to pass. Of course it's reverse, but my brain keeps forgetting lol

Yup you are right. Looks great and I'm also loving the soundtrack!

Btw I suck at this game. Doing the tutorials and mostly getting As or Cs except at the 8th tutorial where you have to keep passing a ball into one of the goals surrounding you in a circle. I cannot get anything but an F here! Embarrassing. Gonna keep doing all these tutorials until I only mildly suck, THEN I will eventually play an actual game, lol.

Yup you are right. Looks great and I'm also loving the soundtrack!

Btw I suck at this game. Doing the tutorials and mostly getting As or Cs except at the 8th tutorial where you have to keep passing a ball into one of the goals surrounding you in a circle. I cannot get anything but an F here! Embarrassing. Gonna keep doing all these tutorials until I only mildly suck, THEN I will eventually play an actual game, lol.

I only passed this by passing from directly in front of the goals lol

jts

...hate me...
Just ran into a very funny glitch, only to realize in real time it would get lost since the Switch doesn't record footage :/

Man I wish this kind of games at least made a habit of offering to save replays. Fifa doesn't have that either.

jamonbread

Neo Member
Pro camera mode is unfortunately choppy as hell on the Switch but other that it plays and runs great (I'm pretty casual so it's similar enough to my experience with 17 on PS4 for me to enjoy it) graphics are a little rough though, especially if you compare it to the other consoles but I'm in it for the portability.

I wouldn't say the Switch version looks rough exactly, its just not as pretty as the other current gen console versions. It still looks better than the last gen version, and it's a noticeable jump in IQ overall.

Can you disable bookings/cards in the options for non online play?

Zedark

Can see myself playing this entirely offline this year.

Not sure if I've been missing a trick for years or if this years game does it particularly well, but playing against the AI on manual controls is a total game changer. Games are unpredictable, exciting, it's a genuine challenge, individual players feel individual, scoring feels exciting.. its unbeleivable. The entire pace and flow feels different (and for me, better) to the point where I HATED how it felt playing with the assists on going back to it to play online.

Career Mode, as a result, has me utterly hooked. This is by some distance the most I've enjoyed a FIFA in years.

Can't compare the two versions, but I felt the same thing when going from fifa 15 on PS4 to fifa 18 on Switch. Manual controls means you need to be accurate with passing strength and direction, but it allows for more accurate play in the end. Love it, have been hooked to the game for the last two days.

PaulLFC

First FIFA I've played in years, quite enjoying Ultimate Team at the moment. Just going through the objectives mostly.

As part of one of the challenges I needed all 11 players to be exact positions, and for some reason I had no RM, so to the transfer market - I managed to buy a gold Navas on the transfer market for 450 (starting price 350, Buy it now 10,000) - is that normal to get decent players cheaply or did I just get really lucky?

Also, my only complaint so far - what's with the injuries? The number of injuries is stupid so far, I've had very few games where I haven't had at least one injury, and more than once I've had two injuries. These aren't even from bad tackles either, my players just randomly get injured. I know muscle injuries are common in real football, but not to this level, it's just silly. I assume there are fitness / healing cards and EA want to promote the use of those so up the injury rate?

Got this earlier.

Does the full game feel very different to the demo to anyone else?

Even playing the kick off mode whilst it was installing, felt completely different in terms of player movement and animations.

julrik

Got this earlier.

Does the full game feel very different to the demo to anyone else?

Even playing the kick off mode whilst it was installing, felt completely different in terms of player movement and animations.
Hopefully better, because the demo sucked IMHO. Might get it if the full version is better.

Just won my first ever FIFA online game. Woohoo!!!!

Nice!

I played my first ones today and I suck at this game. Lost first 2 games 0-4 and 0-6 and can barely get the ball out from my half of the field lol. Defending is hard as fk.

Game 3 I went up 2-0 and the opponent ragequit in the halftime. Feels good:) Now back to hiding offline in the easy difficulties <_<

Plasma

Banned
The Alex Hunter story line in this game is a bit silly
after the Madrid deal falls through. Who in there right mind would want to leave the PL to go play in the MLS and on permanent transfer as well not just a loan. I think I'd rather play in the reserves and win back my spot and besides how on earth are LA Galaxy supposed to be able afford him anyway? A young English striker that has just won the double the season before and scored 30 goals they'd probably be worth £80m in today's market. But then it gets even more stupid because after you win the tinpot MLS cup apparently now all the top sides in Europe are after you and you go back and play for Bayern/PSG/Athletico. That's as far as I've got for now but it just seems a bit all over the place really and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it didn't finish with you signing for Madrid at the end of the season.

Dubz

Nice!

I played my first ones today and I suck at this game. Lost first 2 games 0-4 and 0-6 and can barely get the ball out from my half of the field lol. Defending is hard as fk.

Game 3 I went up 2-0 and the opponent ragequit in the halftime. Feels good:) Now back to hiding offline in the easy difficulties <_<

Try holding X on defense if you're on PS4. It's kind of an auto defense, and that helped me immensely.

Keinning

Who in there right mind would want to leave the PL to go play in the MLS and on permanent transfer as well not just a loan

Jermaine Defoe
He even went back to EPL right after

The rest of your rant is on point, though. Journey is kinda stupid. But i guess it's part of the charm - wouldn't be particularly interesting if it followed the average "english golden youngster" route and your player ended up in Olympiakos for the rest of his life.

Plasma

Banned
Jermaine Defoe
He even went back to EPL right after

The rest of your rant is on point, though. Journey is kinda stupid. But i guess it's part of the charm - wouldn't be particularly interesting if it followed the average "english golden youngster" route and your player ended up in Olympiakos for the rest of his life.

Defoe was in the late stages of his career looking for a payday though.

Keinning

Defoe was in the late stages of his career looking for a payday though.

that's why i havent quoted the part where you said youngster tho :^)

and to people having trouble with defense, close space, block pass routes and as soon as they're close attempt the tackle (not the sliding one)

i had trouble in the 10 hour trial as well but i got used to it and gotta say, i'm far better at defending now than i ever was in FIFA. its really more intuitive, as long as you can read the timing of the opposing attack. calling help with RB (dunno the button on other consoles) helps a lot too. don't try to take the ball away immediately, if you close their attacking routes the AI kinda panics and make silly mistakes

Dubz

2-2-5 in Online Season. I feel like I'm very close to understanding what to do to win, but not quite there. If anyone wants to play on PS4 my GT is Dubzinator.

Won Division 10 in FUT in the final match of season. Learnt from opposing team that Yaya Toure is OP from range. Have built an 80 rated Bundesliga team with 100 chemistry, but have kept Enner Valencia for my sub bunch. Perfect forward to bring on late as he can cut defences up.

Roufianos

I was gonna pick this up after giving up on PES but EA are taking the piss. I'm not paying £50 for a game that was a year in development. I'll just pick it up second hand in a week.

Hixx

I was gonna pick this up after giving up on PES but EA are taking the piss. I'm not paying £50 for a game that was a year in development. I'll just pick it up second hand in a week.

It won't be much cheaper. FIFA holds its value pretty well compared to a lot of games for weeks.

-

The player switching is infuriating when people are dribbling at you. And fuck people who play ultra defensive, it's even more annoying than ever before. Especially when the CPU uses it in squad battles, get out of here with that shit EA! But at least I managed to qualify for next weekends FUT League thing, forgot to do it for this weekend, whoops. Should get Elite 2 in squad battles as well, some nice rewards tomorrow night hopefully.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
wonder how long EA will pretend these squad battle teams are made from "the community"

Ronaldo mustn't be that rare, since most teams have him on their bench

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
dont everyone who bought the icon edition have a ronaldo?

its a permanent ronaldo on their teams, not a loan, its obvious they're random teams made by ea anyway

Balotelli2Glory as a team name is a giveaway for one, especially a lot of teams having brazillian ronaldo and ronaldinho too

Any good scouting guides while Futhead Career Mode is updated?

I'm Manchester United and want to overhaul the squad over the next 2 seasons. Looking for a top defensive midfielder to partner Matic, a good CB to partner Bailly (with Lindelof and Smalling as backup), fullback who can play both sides, a creative ACM to replaced Mata, a top class winger, and a young striker with lots of potential as backup to Lukaku and Rashford.

Is there an online manual for the Switch version? There's so many little moves/crosses/passes, etc. that I have no idea how to perform. Trying to figure out how to do lofted crosses, driven crosses, low driving shots, etc.

What's up with the transfer negotiations?

Once you offer a player swap+cash and they say no, you can't change to a different player or retract the player swap and offer cash only... not that I can see anyway. Have to start all over again.

And when you negotiate they demand more than the minimum release clause. LOL

Is there a way to view a player's bio on the shortlist screen?

Is there an online manual for the Switch version? There’s so many little moves/crosses/passes, etc. that I have no idea how to perform. Trying to figure out how to do lofted crosses, driven crosses, low driving shots, etc.

The Skill Games teach you all these. It's worth going through them.

Porcile

So there's no way to create my own team from scratch in career mode? Like a Porcile UTD with a bunch of generic players and build a team from there starting at the lowest league? Why would you even want to start a career as a full strength Real Madrid or Barcelona team?

PES please come to Switch.

So there's no way to create my own team from scratch in career mode? Like a Porcile UTD with a bunch of generic players and build a team from there starting at the lowest league? Why would you even want to start a career as a full strength Real Madrid or Barcelona team?

PES please come to Switch.

Nope, and it's pathetic. FIFA last gen had "creation centre" and it was awesome. Five games in on this gen and nothing. Not even create a club. And, they are so beyond developing for single player, they haven't updated the youngest possible birth year for created players in a couple years. So 1998 is the youngest possible birth year a created player can have whereas they used to update it every year so you could make 17 year olds.

F34R

I really wanted to get this on the Switch, but after being shafted on the Vita, I'm going to wait it out and see if they are still in the business of "short changing" portable players. /sadface

I really wanted to get this on the Switch, but after being shafted on the Vita, I'm going to wait it out and see if they are still in the business of "short changing" portable players. /sadface

It's not in the same realm. The switch version actually has effort and is very serviceable. I'd actually recommend it to people depending on what they are looking for. The portability of this and the quality make this a good buy. Hardcore fans might feel burnt by the missing features but overall it's a good package.

pbsapeer

Banned
It's not in the same realm. The switch version actually has effort and is very serviceable. I'd actually recommend it to people depending on what they are looking for. The portability of this and the quality make this a good buy. Hardcore fans might feel burnt by the missing features but overall it's a good package.
I second this.

Top Bottom