• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

Switch version plays really well, and I think that it's the most important thing at this point. Next year (if we get another) it needs to have all the now missing modes (maybe not Journey, but everything else.

I paid 5€ for it, bought it from Gamestop. I got some ridiculous bonus combo with a few old Wii U games. The clerk couldn't believe it when the PC gave the final sum but said that if the PC says so it must be right... She was dope. (As a side note, paid about 10€ for a used Wolf Link amiibo, who gets rid of that kind of thing?).

Skills games (or what are they) are really hard with my favourite team, I don't have any magical mystery players there so especially the passing challenge (the one with little goals in a circle) is a PITA.

But anyhow... FIFA Switch is a really good game, plays well. It is a lot better than 15 I had. And playing against AI is damn hard, especially because is changed to all manual. I suck so hard at the moment, I really need practise.

I recommend getting it if you are not a HC FIFA who needs every mode possible and little more pixels. To be honest, I prefer that they got the base game right before extra features. Game that sucks to play but has plethora of gamemodes is not better than a really solid gameplay with little less things. But as I said, they have the basis, now they need to put more stuff in.

Hradecky is just as good in this game as in real life, he makes such gamesavers every game for me. I would be losing a lot more matches without him. And Moisander is just beautiful.

Thinking about starting a season with Dundee FC, Kamara has been solid this season and would be fun to play with him. Usually I play Bröndby because of Pukki (and now Arajuuri) but change of pace would be nice.

The Hermit

Nintendo Life review of Switch version:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/fifa_18

I usually don't like reviews of fan sites, but this is one is pretty fair and on point, I think.

Very good Review, clearly wrote by someone who is a fan of Fifa.

I suck at soccer games and since I was mainly a Nintendo/PC guy, never cared enough (even though I am brazilian and it's probably the most played game here).

I will try Fifa, but I think I might wait for next year's version. Hopefully all little things are sorted out by then.

Is it just me or are Switch matches really scrappy? I'm struggling to play nice football, and I think it might have something to do with lack of analog sprint.

Renekun

Neo Member
A funny story happened to me today in Germany. I went to a famous electronics store here in my city. It's called MediaMarkt. Some of you might have already heard of it.

Anyways. I entered the store and went straight to the aisle with the switch games. There I couldn't find Fifa18. So I decided to asked one employee if they have one or two units somewhere in store.

He replied with: Nintendo sent out an e-mail that says that they had to postpone the release to some time >next year< because they (>Nintendo!<) were not able to finish >developing< it.

I answered that the game is ready to be downloaded on the eShop.

What he told me was fantastic: He didn't know why it was online on the eShop but he assumes that >the download wouldn't work< if you wanted to buy it.

Even if I can not find it anywhere ( I want it retail and not as a download) I at least got into that funny situation that is so abstract that it would even fit Nintendo.&#128521;

Haha it does, it got cracked in less than two days while it used to take like 3 years.

Yeah, and this will help modding come back too. The transition to Frostbite took a while to get a tool up and running, but this will generally result in more modders jumping back in.

Once there are some good mods out I may have to double dip so I can do a Chinese Super League career. Have the PS4 version, but after playing early access on PC, the visual downgrade is a bit rough to take.

I'm also happy about the success so far on the Switch. Hopefully that encourages EA to push towards as much parity as is technically possible, and hopefully release their whole sports line for the platform in the future.

Mikke

As someone who buys FIFA like every two or three years as of late I am really happy with the Switch version. If it wasn't for the portability I wouldn't have bought any FIFA game this year.

I hope they reach feature parity next year, that might pull me back into a yearly cycle. I already find myself playing this way more than the previous version I owned, just because I can knock out a game during half-time when watching football and so on.

This is also the first time I really tried FUT, warming up to it. It's surprisingly fun.

Would you guys say that it's worth it to pick up the switch version over ps4? Does the portability make up for the lack of some features?

Mikke

Would you guys say that it's worth it to pick up the switch version over ps4? Does the portability make up for the lack of some features?
For me it definitely was, for you it might not.
This review goes a bit into what's missing http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/fifa_18
If you want the most feature complete version, go with PS4. If you prefer the option to play on the go or around the house, go with Switch. If you're in between, maybe check what features are missing and how important they are to you. The Switch version is definitely at the very least very solid.

pbsapeer

Banned
I buy FIFA every year. It's pretty much invaluable for me as I play it for the full year pretty much every week. I normally play career mode and go through spells of dabbling in online play. I've never got into FUT so don't really know how it works. Getting loan cards seems a bit rubbish and I don't care for microtransactions.

Well I bought the switch version this year. Normally I only buy the PS4 Version although I have had the vita version in the past. I've just started a new career mode and played 1 game. I'm pretty astounded by how good the game looks. I should say I've only played undocked at this moment in time but it looks great.
There are some small issues I notice that aren't in FIFA 17. The players don't tend to move down the line on throw ins. It's quite hard to get a back pass (something which might have changed in FIFA 18 on other ports). The game plays quite slow but that's fine. The crows is less energetic but I was expecting this without the frostbite engine.
Generally this feels like the real deal. I hated the vita versions as the comparison between full console to handheld was far too much. The biggest failure being the defending was still the old style for the vita version but the new defending was in the console version. I might change my mind when I pick up the PlayStation version on deal but at the moment this is perfect for what I want. The portability is excellent.
1 thing I don't like is using A to select things in menus but B is pass. In PlayStation versions this is both on the A button so something to get used to.
I've also heard something about a "hard tackle". Not sure if that's missing or I just haven't come across it yet. Also the negotiations are still the same as 17 from what I can see.

These are just initial thoughts and hopefully the negative points I have made will help people on the fence. This version feels great. The portability is excellent and the graphics are surprisingly better than I imagined. Good job EA

Shaii

I'm seriously starting to question whether the Switch version is broken. I can't tell you how many times I've seen extremely clumsy situations where my players stumble into eachother or the opposing player and just fall over. Sometimes it's like the players are having trouble finishing their animations. I've never experienced this with FIFA on other platforms.

The game isn't a smooth 60 fps either. It feels really off.

Is it just me or are Switch matches really scrappy? I'm struggling to play nice football, and I think it might have something to do with lack of analog sprint.
The Switch version feels faster to me. Like you don't have as much time and space to do what you want or something. AI also seems to cut off passes more often but I could be imagining that. Crossing is definitely harder though.

A funny story happened to me today in Germany. I went to a famous electronics store here in my city. It's called MediaMarkt. Some of you might have already heard of it.

Anyways. I entered the store and went straight to the aisle with the switch games. There I couldn't find Fifa18. So I decided to asked one employee if they have one or two units somewhere in store.

He replied with: Nintendo sent out an e-mail that says that they had to postpone the release to some time >next year< because they (>Nintendo!<) were not able to finish >developing< it.

What he told me was fantastic: He didn't know why it was online on the eShop but he assumes that >the download wouldn't work< if you wanted to buy it.

Even if I can not find it anywhere ( I want it retail and not as a download) I at least got into that funny situation that is so abstract that it would even fit Nintendo.&#128521;

complain to the main office.

Didn't get round to playing this until late last night, so only had a couple of games as I was knackered. I haven't played the demo since PES released so I was a bit out of practice & the game felt fresh. Was such a luxury to be able to change match length & other options.

The game definitely seems more difficult then I remember but I'm pleased there seems to be more passing error on assisted settings. One thing that really bothered me about PES this year was that midfielders seemed to be no where to be seen when you was defending & while it's not perfect on FIFA, I feel like defending is a little more structurally better on this than PES.

Some fantastic new animations especially those new slide tackle ones, you get some incredible looking last ditch challenges as a result. Visually, the game can be breathtaking especially when playing in environments that are authentic & licensed. Players that have been scanned & Stadiums got the treatment look so immersive, the broadcast presentation especially in EPL & La Light games especially with the increase in managers puts it on par with 2Ks series.

Love those subtle little touches such as spectators running down the stands to greet the goal scorer or jumping out the way of a stray shot.

Good stuff so far, can't wait to jump back on tonight with a revitalised mind & a Glass of Whiskey.

i haven't even bothered starting a new career or the journey. just been playing Kick Off and i'm quite happy doing that.

i guess it's because this is the first time i've bought FIFA digitally so i know i won't be able to trade it in like i usually do so i want to get the most out of it as possible.

i'm a bit disappointed that Barcelona sold the rights to PES. i can still play as them but I wanted to play at Camp Nou. oh well, can't complain since Real Madrid/Ronaldo have a bigger focus this year.

i can't decide on a team to go with. i usually go with my favourite team but want to go with something different this time. either barcelona, real madrid, chelsea, nyc, dortmund though.

NimbusD

Aww damn. I thought I had the switch version preordered through best buy w that 10 dollar gc deal. Made this game an easy buy. Turns out I accidentally preordered Xbox, and they won't change it. So no GC for me. Dang.

pdk27

I bought the Switch version of FIFA 18 from the NA eShop and I noticed that it has the Polish commentary track. I bought FIFA 17 on the NA PSN shop for the PS4 last year and was disappointed that it wasn't there. Can anybody in the US check and tell me if the PS4 version of FIFA 18 has the Polish commentary track? I may double dip if so.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm done with squad battles, the AI is cheesy as fuck

GK is useless too, the second its 1v1 I know it'll be a goal

wbEMX

Bought it on PS4, with 18 being my first FIFA since FIFA 08. I really need to watch some video guides, as I'm getting my ass kicked by friends. Getting the ball into my half and also maintaining ball possession is something that I really suck at.

Even if I can not find it anywhere ( I want it retail and not as a download) I at least got into that funny situation that is so abstract that it would even fit Nintendo.&#65533;&#65533;
While I didn't hear something from the employees there I also noticed that the Switch version was nowhere to be found at the Saturn store where I bought my PS4 copy. They had tons and tons of X1 and PS4 copies, some PS3 and 360 ones and no PC or Switch copy. That's so fucking strange.

I managed ro resist buying fifa points for almost a day. I am so weak.. got 2k points. Opened 4 boxes and got a inform goalie, Draxler and the Ox. Gonna see if Ox will make me lose all games or if I can break the curse.

Keinning

They still haven't fixed positioning in BAL. It's so so so harsh.

This, so much

I can score two goals and give two assists in a match, but if i'm caught off position for a fraction of second its all for naught and my rating sinks/manager threatens to sub me

God forbid me for trying to give a pass option or helping the defense for a bit, STAY-IN-POSITION-FOREVER!

JJShadow

Got the Switch version today and besides the problem with the lacking features, the game is excellent (only played on portable mode). Constant 60 FPS, extremely smooth gameplay and the graphics are much better than I expected, something in between PS3/PS4

This is my first FIFA game since FIFA 10 or so and I'm getting my ass kicked so far, managed to score only one goal in four games lol I'm playing on professional difficulty with most of optiones on semi-assist, any tips/advices to improve my game?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like the Switch kit.

22051001_102147708878olua7.jpg

Ken Adams

I'm done with squad battles, the AI is cheesy as fuck

GK is useless too, the second its 1v1 I know it'll be a goal

What if i told you that Squad Battles is easier on legendary than professional. Go try it out and report back. All them extra points to make rank.

siriocaz

Neo Member
Playing the Switch version. It feels really, really "heavy", passes and shots require longer button presses and shots in general feel like they take forever to make their trajectory. The movement of players also feels tighter than ever.

Can't say I dislike it, but it should take a while before I can get used to this. Last FIFA game I played before 18 was 14, and it felt much lighter, although it still had its share of issues that I feel are gone in 18. I'm suppose I can make the game "faster" if I adjust the settings, right?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
What’s the verdict on the switch version? Is it a real version or what they used to do to vita?
It's a proper FIFA game. I have yet to play the final PS4 version but FIFA 18 on the Switch doesn't feel too different from the PS4 demo. I do find that going from the right hand buttons to the right joystick is a bit difficult and the game can be a bit straining on the eyes due to the relatively small size of the Switch screen.

My feeling on the switch version is that it feels really good on handheld mode but not as well in docked mode.

With my TV setup it just felt empty? Less cheers, less commentary, stadium feels emptier.

The gameplay is great.

Putosaure

As a newcomer (didn't play a FIFA game since 13 on Vita) I really don't understand the menus of the game. There is so many things going on and choices to have, without real clear explanations... :(

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What if i told you that Squad Battles is easier on legendary than professional. Go try it out and report back. All them extra points to make rank.

Yeah I went to WC from professional and scored more

shit makes no sense

Playing Professional on Switch and it seems far more difficult than in the PC version.

There's like no space your players at all.

Top Bottom